Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikemanutd

Call a Pure Virtual Function

139 posts in this topic

Originally posted by auto98uk:

I don't suppose you would know how to reinstall windows? The fact that it worked for a while indicates it is a system problem, either hardware or software

When it occurred again after it had worked for 2 hours, how did it crash - was it exactly the same?

yeah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to x42bn6 i had already tried it with the latest version of nvidia update so i installed directX 9.0c again and it worked then it crashed. so i tried to see wta would happen if i installed it again but it crashed after going on for a minute then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the website u sent me x42bn6 was a icon_confused.gif especially the one it suggested in 5 i think but most of it i have alreayd tried and none of the other helped. still there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for drastics, I think. Have you managed to find your nVidia control panel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah but couldnt find anything useful on it but that was because i dont really know what the things did

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the options on the control panel are:

adjust image setting with preview

run display optimization wizard

move CRT screen position

change resolution

adjust desktop colour settings

rotate display

set up multiple displays

adjust video colour settings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Open start->run-> type eventvwr; press enter

Windows event viewer will open,check the application log. I believe there will be a lot of errors logged.

right click on application-> clear log.

open the game in order to reproduce the error you are getting.

refresh the application log, read the events with type=error and provide the event ids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you have no problem, you could try a fresh installation of windows xp (format and reinstall), so you'll have your computer clean.

Then install directx (the new one) and football manager to see if it works.

By the way you should upgrade your computer to 1 giga of ram..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by mikemanutd:

the options on the control panel are:

adjust image setting with preview

run display optimization wizard

move CRT screen position

change resolution

adjust desktop colour settings

rotate display

set up multiple displays

adjust video colour settings

Ugh, doesn't help.

Follow Talented_Red's solution. It could be useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by gianps:

if you have no problem, you could try a fresh installation of windows xp (format and reinstall), so you'll have your computer clean.

Then install directx (the new one) and football manager to see if it works.

By the way you should upgrade your computer to 1 giga of ram..

unfortunately i have already tried reloading windows XP and it didnt work and my dad is too tight fisted to buy a nerw ram so 512MB will have to suffice. i know people with 512MB ram who it works perfectly for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Chezwig©:

Is this thread a wind up?

no really it a extremely frustrating problem. iamagine buyin g a game u couldnt get a refund for and it doesnt work and you dont know why. now u know how i feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Talented_Red:

Open start->run-> type eventvwr; press enter

Windows event viewer will open,check the application log. I believe there will be a lot of errors logged.

right click on application-> clear log.

open the game in order to reproduce the error you are getting.

refresh the application log, read the events with type=error and provide the event ids.

once I have found the error thing what I am looking for do I right click the error and go into properties?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well his is the data it give in bytes:

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 66 6d 2e ure fm.

0018: 65 78 65 20 38 2e 30 2e exe 8.0.

0020: 31 2e 34 38 37 37 34 20 1.48774

0028: 69 6e 20 66 6d 2e 65 78 in fm.ex

0030: 65 20 38 2e 30 2e 31 2e e 8.0.1.

0038: 34 38 37 37 34 20 61 74 48774 at

0040: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset

0048: 30 30 62 33 37 35 32 36 00b37526

0050: 0d 0a ..

and in words:

0000: 6c707041 74616369 206e6f69 6c696146

0010: 20657275 2e6d6620 20657865 2e302e38

0020: 38342e31 20343737 66206e69 78652e6d

0030: 2e382065 2e312e30 37373834 74612034

0040: 66666f20 20746573 33623030 36323537

0050: 0a0d

the description it gives is:

Faulting applcation fm.exe, version 8.0.1.48774, faulting module fm.exe, version 8.0.1.48774, fault address 0x00b37526.

when i go to the help and support centre in say the internet page has connection problem but i cna access other internet stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See my reply below.

Post in the bugs forum, as that is the best place to get an answer. You will NOT get a good enough answer to solve your problem in this forum.

If no-one replies in the bugs forum, then try the PC Support forum, where SI themselves might reply eventually.

Those other forums are your only and best chance of solving it.

This forum cannot and probably will not help.

Originally posted by DamianY2J:

OK, you seem to be going around in circles. Here is the proper answer:

- You can't debug or do anything to the game's code. So that's that.

- To solve the error, try and updating your graphics card or reinstalling the game. That is your only solution.

However, this thread should not be in this forum. Please write it in the Bugs Forum and wait for a reply. If you don't get any, then no-one can help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by mikemanutd:

well his is the data it give in bytes:

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 66 6d 2e ure fm.

0018: 65 78 65 20 38 2e 30 2e exe 8.0.

0020: 31 2e 34 38 37 37 34 20 1.48774

0028: 69 6e 20 66 6d 2e 65 78 in fm.ex

0030: 65 20 38 2e 30 2e 31 2e e 8.0.1.

0038: 34 38 37 37 34 20 61 74 48774 at

0040: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset

0048: 30 30 62 33 37 35 32 36 00b37526

0050: 0d 0a ..

and in words:

0000: 6c707041 74616369 206e6f69 6c696146

0010: 20657275 2e6d6620 20657865 2e302e38

0020: 38342e31 20343737 66206e69 78652e6d

0030: 2e382065 2e312e30 37373834 74612034

0040: 66666f20 20746573 33623030 36323537

0050: 0a0d

the description it gives is:

Faulting applcation fm.exe, version 8.0.1.48774, faulting module fm.exe, version 8.0.1.48774, fault address 0x00b37526.

when i go to the help and support centre in say the internet page has connection problem but i cna access other internet stuff.

It is difficult to say for sure because the error description is not very informative. Thats expected from windows - very technical error codes.

1. run a memory test using memtest86 found at http://www.memtest86.com/

2. Enable/ disable hardware acceleration settings. control panel-> display properties-> settings->advanced->troubleshoot. change the hardware acceleration settings.

Also change the screen resolution to 1024*768 px

3. Are you using norton/ symantec antivirus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by DamianY2J:

See my reply below.

Post in the bugs forum, as that is the best place to get an answer. You will NOT get a good enough answer to solve your problem in this forum.

If no-one replies in the bugs forum, then try the PC Support forum, where SI themselves might reply eventually.

Those other forums are your only and best chance of solving it.

This forum cannot and probably will not help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamianY2J:

OK, you seem to be going around in circles. Here is the proper answer:

- You can't debug or do anything to the game's code. So that's that.

- To solve the error, try and updating your graphics card or reinstalling the game. That is your only solution.

However, this thread should not be in this forum. Please write it in the Bugs Forum and wait for a reply. If you don't get any, then no-one can help.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

people are being more helpful in this forum. I have threads in the other two forums and no one has replyed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And another question: Do you run this in fullscreen or windowed mode?

Have you had this problem with any other game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run the game in full screen mode. All my other games worked fine except Medieval Total War 2 which I cna tinstall properly. But i can still play it but it is very slow and I cant watch any of the videos on the game. The file it cant install is a voice1.dat. something to do with a corrupt cab file i think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nope didnt work. it worked for a while but then it went. prob if i try it now it wont work within 5mins. mite not be able to get in touch over tis weekend but keep posting. I am truly thankful of your help. much mire useful then SI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ehm, I'm running out of ideas.

Does Football Manager 2007 work for you, if you have it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Chezwig©:

Is this thread a wind up?

The question isn't, but some of the responses are hilarious. Even better is that the OP has no sense of humour of Sci-Fi backgound. icon_biggrin.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by x42bn6:

Ehm, I'm running out of ideas.

Does Football Manager 2007 work for you, if you have it?

i never had fm07 but fm06 worked. im waiting for my friend to let me borrow his fm07 because im not expecting fm08 to start working any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Dirkjan:

I'm having the same problem. this shows every time, 25 oktober 2007.

screenshot:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/jjvanoord/fout.jpg

there are a lot of good things here, but i tried everything. I guess i'll restart my game and hope the same players will come....

tat the 1st pop up that comes up on mine but not at a certain date. Does anything else come up on yours.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Dirkjan:

I'm having the same problem. this shows every time, 25 oktober 2007.

screenshot:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/jjvanoord/fout.jpg

there are a lot of good things here, but i tried everything. I guess i'll restart my game and hope the same players will come....

What is the graphics card name of your computer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by mikemanutd:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x42bn6:

Ehm, I'm running out of ideas.

Does Football Manager 2007 work for you, if you have it?

i never had fm07 but fm06 worked. im waiting for my friend to let me borrow his fm07 because im not expecting fm08 to start working any time soon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did the demo of FM2007/ FM2008 work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how do u load the .exe into hex editor and wat is the .exe for fm08 is it fm.exe?

No offence but if you're unsure on how to find the .exe I really don't think you're the man to be calling pure virtual functions, no matter how many E's you've swallowed this evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by mikemanutd:

well u had a thread that got 4000+ views bout this problem and no one helped me but it was on the bugs forum. so here it goes.... im just playing around on the game and then this happens

1. Serious error had occured and the application must close. An error file has been placed in the Crash dumps folder. (nothing goes into the crash dumps folder)

2. An error report comes up saying dont send or send. (this doesnt help in the slightest)

3. Title of pop up: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error.

Runtime Error

(say what the game is and where)

R6025:

Pure Virtual Function Call

microsoft say i need to call a pure virtual function and place a debugbreak in it but I dont know how to call it or place a debubreak in it.

Sorry dont know how to place screen shots on the thread.

Had a similar problem, with Ctash Dumps and all that. I uninstalled the game, deleted the patch and then re-installed it and the patch. My old save games work fine, as does the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mikemanutd

It's a massive task for anyone to find the root of your problem without sitting at your keyboard. There could be a thousand things that could be causing you a problem. Maybe a combination of several.

Since it sounds like you've already reinstalled several times and have checked graphics drivers and suchlike, you've already discounted some of the common possibilities. The issue probably arises due to some kind of problem with either your hardware, your operating system (Windows) or some other software on your system which is/are causing conflicts. It is not uncommon for these problems to come to light while running FM, since, for a lot of users, FM is the most system-hungry application that they ever run.

FM places a huge load on your system and needs a lot of resources (RAM, CPU time, etc) while running. When your PC is under heavy load like this, any number of small problems which normally go unnoticed, start to cause fatal errors.

Anyhow, in order to get FM running, you may have to do a lot of work and you will either need a fair amount of knowledge to get there without causing more issues or you'll need to find a friend who can help you. Since some of the basic things like reinstalling and checking drivers didn't work, it's likely that you'll need to try some more technical stuff.

I'm assuming that this problem first occurred several weeks/months ago? It is possible that something on your system changed and caused the error. Maybe something that you (or someone else) installed, either hardware or software. Have you considered using System Restore to roll back to a time that you know your system was stable?

Some steps I'd advise (generally these will help with your PCs performance regardless of FM), would include...

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>Get a copy of 'Adaware' or 'Spybot Search & Destroy' or even better, both. They are both available to download and they both have excellent free versions, search for them on Google. Running both of these will clear out any Adwareand/or Spyware from your system. If you've never done this before, you'll be amazed at how much they'll remove.

<LI>Defrag your hard drive. Either with the dergragger built in to XP, or get any of the good free downloadable ones. It's unlikely that this will be the cause of your problem, but it may contribute and is always worth doing.

<LI>Remove any unwanted software from your system, especially anything that was installed prior to the error developing.

<LI>If it's viable, doing a clean reinstall of windows is a good option when all else has failed, but you will need to back up anything you cannot afford to lose. It is also possible to use the windows disk to repair your Windows installation, but I'm not sure how successful this might be.

<LI>The best advice I can give is to register at one of the good PC Help sites, like PC Help Forum and check some of the posts on there. You're bound to find plenty of good advice, plus if you post your problem, the guys on there are usually very good at helping you get to the bottom of the problem.

PHEW! I didn't intend to make that quite as long as it is. I hope that something in there helps (if any of it makes any sense icon_smile.gif ) and that you get to the bottom of it.

Good Luck. icon14.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by mikemanutd:

im using AVG but the problem was occuring before we got this

Not AVG, I'm using on a multitude of machines, 3 of which have FM2008 on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by mikemanutd:

my grpahic card is Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 and yes the demo for fm07 did work on my pc.

Please try the demo of FM2008 and see what's the behaviour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Burscoughnian:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

how do u load the .exe into hex editor and wat is the .exe for fm08 is it fm.exe?

No offence but if you're unsure on how to find the .exe I really don't think you're the man to be calling pure virtual functions, no matter how many E's you've swallowed this evening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah i know im not the man to be calling pure virtual functions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by sam22:

What a fantastic thread icon_razz.gif

Pure comedy.

if your not gonna be helpful and just take delight out of my problem then bog off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to betterspud, I already have spybot search & destroy I already have spybot seacha and destroy so tried that. I have already done a clean reinstall of windows...actually got a pro to do waste of time. I will try the defrag and PC Help forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly a general tip someone mentioned system restore, using system restore to go back months is a hugely bad idea. It is designed to go back a day at the most.

You say you have had the system wiped and reinstalled by a pro? Assuming he reinstalled it with all the latest drivers did you reinstall any other software that was on previously before running FM?

If the answer is yes then it is possible this software is causing the conflict.

However your problem sounds hardware related to be honest. As other people have mentioned the most likely causes of hardware conflicts are RAM, hard drive or graphics card.

It is entirely possible that your hardware has a fault that is so minor it has not shown up in general use, but the strain FM is putting it under causes problems. Is there anyway you can get hold of spare parts and start trying them (you could ask a friend very very nicely lol).

Change the RAM (as it is the easiest to do) and test the game. Change the graphics card (use latest drivers for the install) and test the game. The hard drive is another story it is unlikely anyone will have a spare hard drive lying about that you can install windows on but if you can get hold of one try this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try this!! Start up your computer without the game in it... then before you put the game give it a good wipe, insert the game and before you start it up and then threaten it!!

That usually works for me icon_wink.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by mikemanutd:

microsoft say i need to call a pure virtual function and place a debugbreak in it but I dont know how to call it or place a debubreak in it.

Sorry dont know how to place screen shots on the thread.

Whoever told you that is ****ing ********.

If you don't know what it means, then don't even attempt to do it. Seriously.

Hey, stop that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Chas (Psyatika):

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mikemanutd:

microsoft say i need to call a pure virtual function and place a debugbreak in it but I dont know how to call it or place a debubreak in it.

Sorry dont know how to place screen shots on the thread.

Whoever told you that is ****ing ********.

If you don't know what it means, then don't even attempt to do it. Seriously.

Hey, stop that! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i completely agree microsft the people who told me to do that are ****ing ********

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by hammersjj:

Firstly a general tip someone mentioned system restore, using system restore to go back months is a hugely bad idea. It is designed to go back a day at the most.

You say you have had the system wiped and reinstalled by a pro? Assuming he reinstalled it with all the latest drivers did you reinstall any other software that was on previously before running FM?

If the answer is yes then it is possible this software is causing the conflict.

However your problem sounds hardware related to be honest. As other people have mentioned the most likely causes of hardware conflicts are RAM, hard drive or graphics card.

It is entirely possible that your hardware has a fault that is so minor it has not shown up in general use, but the strain FM is putting it under causes problems. Is there anyway you can get hold of spare parts and start trying them (you could ask a friend very very nicely lol).

Change the RAM (as it is the easiest to do) and test the game. Change the graphics card (use latest drivers for the install) and test the game. The hard drive is another story it is unlikely anyone will have a spare hard drive lying about that you can install windows on but if you can get hold of one try this.

when i had windows reinstalled the 1st thing i installed on the pc was fm08. the only things left on it were my documents and the word file in it, nero start smart, AVG and microsft word.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok there are enough people playing the game with nero, word and avg installed (me included) to rule those out.

Like I said earlier it sounds like hardware, no pc engineer is going to take on he task of fixing a problem only caused by one game, well I wouldn't it is asking for trouble.

You may be back to swapping parts yourself if you can borrow some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.