Football Manager 2012 Announced!

Sort it out SI Mods...please.

Saying "sort it out" in a thread isn't much use really, use the report button if you have an issue.

Remember it's the summer holidays, and saying "gay" to mean "bad" is something kids do a lot. We can't change that (though we'll try), but hopefully their education will.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saying "sort it out" in a thread isn't much use really, use the report button if you have an issue.

Remember it's the summer holidays, and saying "gay" to mean "bad" is something kids do a lot. We can't change that (though we'll try), but hopefully their education will.

Fair comment RE report button, have never done that, forgot it existed, so sorry about that. It does feel that this use of the word Gay is backdoor homophobia, no pun intended, and yes I know "kids" use that word to mean bad - doesnt make it alright though does it? I used the same word for that same purpose 30 years ago- and then a Lesbian friend who's sexuality had not been known to me at that point, pointed out how damaging that trivial treatment of the subject could potentially be. I now look back with regret on those days, hence my concern. The net result of these exchanges is that I will be less likely to visit any thread where such behaviour is so casually overlooked, I guess few will be upset by my abstinance but it is a shame. I like reading about the new game this time of year, just am not keen on homophobia in any shape or form especially when I know it is not likely to be discouraged, let alone punished. Those under the age of 35 or so will probably think Im being a "pussy", I wonder if they will have that same view in 20 years time - I suspect and hope not.

Please fix the 0-21 bug in champions league, that's the most frustrating thing in FM 2011.

People are making some really bad suggestions for spending your money. Why not allow the manager invest in clubs, players (youngsters for example) AND their own coaching attributes, because it´s really hard to find some 5 star coaches, (coaching courses, language courses and stuff like that).

Regens should be better distributed by countries like Portugal (i have seen about 2 or 3 good ones; never seen a good WINGER!!!), England, Africa, etc. There aren´t enough attacking fullbacks, wingers (there are a lot of CM´s with winger atributes), number 10's and maybe defensive midfielder´s; on the other hand there are some really fast DM´s with great dribbling skills (not sure why). In my opinion there is a lack of medium skilled regens, they are either really good or crap, a lot of national teams get filled with brazillians because of this.

There are also way too many teams playing in 3-5-2, 3-4-3 formations.

Anyway, looking forward for the next chapter in the best computer game series ever.

Leave it to your assistant if/when it gets tedious. He'll do fine most of the time (following the same AI logic as your opposition), especially with a decent Motivating skill.

Leave it to your ass man? Its become the single most important (and tedious) part of the game. Its not something I really want to leave for the ass man to sort out. Its bad enough when I get it wrong and destroy moral, never mind when the AI is to blame.

Got no consistency? Its your team talks.

Cant win away from home? Its your team talks.

On a 12 game winless run? its your team talks.

You lost a game you should have easily won? You said we can win instead of for the fans.

Dont waste money on players, and time on tactics anymore. Just learn the secret or read the guide on team talks.

If they were only cosmetic I would leave to my assman, but being vital to success its too much of a risk.

I could do with a team talk to motivate me into buying FM this year..

Hm, I can't say I agree that it's that influential, though clearly part of the formula. It's interesting that it's perceived that way by others though, perhaps from lack of (good) feedback from other effects, as opposed to the very clear Get Team Talk Feedback screen.

Personally I think tactics, mainly in-game tweaks/shouts, still make the biggest difference, as long as the players aren't completely destroyed mentally, and I frequently win games with mixed reactions from talks and press comments.

What I will say is that the 1-2 word talk descriptions could do with some clarification as they are frequently misinterpreted right now, surely contributing to this motivation frustration.

It has become hugely influential. And most of the community has figured it out. When people made problem threads it used to be 'its your tactics' you heard, now its 'its your team talks'.

Too true too. I went from relegation canditadates every season to champions, just by reading the guide on team talks. Never changed tactics didnt buy players. That was FM 2010.

FM 2011 I won almost every home game and lost pretty much every away game. They had ramdomly changed the phrase that worked, so the one you picked last year to win, lost you the game this year. Thats how pointless and random they are. 1 patch it builds moral, next patch using the same one destroys moral, till you figure out the pattern again.

I dont mind figuring out the pattern to what works but when it becomes the sole reason I'm winning or losing games and its not so much the players I put on the pitch it gets stale very fast.

And to top it off ever since team talks were introduced to FM AI team building and player buying has gone further down the toilet. Even they know its a waste of time and all that matters are the team talks.

Mixed reactions arent bad. A mixed reaction can be a good reaction as its a reaction.

Moral is what wins you games. But I find it rediculous that team moral is built on pre and post match team talks and nothing much else.

Moral maybe needs toning down and the effects of team talks on team moral almost totally removing. Never have I heard a manager or player blame poor team moral on team talks. Saying we can win is not going to randomly destroy moral because you told your players they could win last week. Losing or winning games and a bunch of players who get on well you hear increases/decreases moral, team talks never.

Now its going to be threads like..

'how come I lost 6-0 to a team 2 leagues lower than me?'

'Did you we can win as a cumumber or a tea cup?'

It has become hugely influential. And most of the community has figured it out. When people made problem threads it used to be 'its your tactics' you heard, now its 'its your team talks'.

Most of the community??

I would rather listen to the guy who helped develop the system and that is definitely not what he says about it.

I'd rather listen to my own experiences than what anyone else tries to tell me they hoped would happen. I'm sure he didnt intenially try to make them this broken.

I'd rather listen to my own experiences than what anyone else tries to tell me they hoped would happen.

My experiences are completely different, where does that leave the argument?

On another note, are there screenshots of the new scouting reports (not your own players, but other teams players and when you get opposition team reports)

I'd rather listen to my own experiences than what anyone else tries to tell me they hoped would happen. I'm sure he didnt intenially try to make them this broken.

I'd rather listen to the guy that helped design the system as he ACTUALLY knows what is going on behind the scenes.

My experiences are completely different to yours, what does that say? Am i not part of this vast community that knows its broken?

Well maybe he got it wrong. It does happen, thats why you often hear devs say something like 'didnt work as intended' ', 'difficult to get right', 'hard to balance' or 'patch to fix the whatever they got wrong'

Calm down folks:)

I think we can all agree team talks need attention, I'm assured by a man who knows though that their effect isn't as influential as many believe and that it's more pronounced on individuals than whole teams.

We can only hope FM12 gives us better opportunities to deal with this aspect of the game;)

I think we can all agree team talks need attention, I'm assured by a man who knows though that their effect isn't as influential as many believe and that it's more pronounced on individuals than whole teams.

They keep saying that across the forums, but many members judge by their own experience when they say team talks are too important. If someone wins most of the time without transfers or tinkering with tactics, but just by getting the team talks and chats right, then surely that person won't believe that "team talks aren't as influental as before". It's simply empirical.

But they are not winning just because they have picked the "right" team talk, thats the point, people seem to think that is the case, its not at all. You can win after choosing any team talk if your team is set out the right way.

This post sums it up perfectly

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/266323-Falling-out-of-love-with-the-game?p=7005524&viewfull=1#post7005524

and this one

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/266323-Falling-out-of-love-with-the-game?p=7005640&viewfull=1#post7005640

'people seem to think that is the case, its not at all. You can win after choosing any team talk if your team is set out the right way.'

So its turned from just me to people now? nevermind.

You can win with any team talk if your set out the right way, and you can win with the right team talk even if you set up the wrong way.

You have a much higher chance with the right one, to the point where its the difference between winning and losing.

I'm not going to pretend to be a tactical genius, I just get one that kind of works then stick with it (home and away, against any opposition) and let the team talks do the rest. It works. I had a lot of success in about 12 seasons and never paid a penny for a single player, keeping pretty much the same squad thru back to back promotions (not really my choice, the AI never took an interest in signing any of my players) The players performance didnt differ wether I stuck in my star striker or the one from the reserves. I just rotated them making sure moral was high with the correct individual team talks.

I wasnt even bothered about renewing contracts in the end because anyone of my players would do. I just kept promoting youth players and picking up frees, as long as they played in the correct position, thats enough.

Should I have really had any success with that approach? No, would be the correct answer.

totally agreed with this

Me too. They are overplayed and If you have got a competent tactic you can get away with the wrong team talk half the time. And on the otherside, if you havent got a competitive tactic, you can get away with the right team talk half the time.

Theres no mention of what I'd like to see improved. AI. It seems to get a little worse every year. The more complicated the game gets the more harder it seems to get right.

Theres far too many unrealistic events happen with AI. Team building was better 5 years ago. AI buying was better 5 years ago. The AI dont seem interested in a bargain. They wont even buy good on a free. I couldnt give my players away. My leading goal scorer for 5 seasons running had about 2 enquirys. I never had to fend of bids from the AI.

The AI keeping almost the same squad for a decade. Star players sitting in the reserves till they retire.

Players wanting more money to join a lesser club rescuing them from the reserves.

The newest one is clubs paying millions to loan a player for a few months, not even playing them. Even if they did play them those clubs wouldnt spend that much if it was for keeps, never mind a loan.

These kind of things break realism for me, and an even bigger crime it makes the game really dull.

The last few FMs have had this issue, only getting slightly worse each year. Is that being looked into or will it follow the trend?

I'm not going to pretend to be a tactical genius, I just get one that kind of works then stick with it (home and away, against any opposition) and let the team talks do the rest. It works.

Well, that sort of explains things. If you opt never to change tactics, even via shouts, then you've forfeited the opportunity to get the upper hand via tactical adjustments, and your performances will largely hinge on the one remaining main factor that you actually tailor to conditions - motivation. This is especially the case if the tactic you keep using is not appropriate for the game at hand; highly motivated players can compensate and still grind out a result, but enter the pitch with a poor attitude and you're at an even further disadvantage.

With this sort of approach to the game, yes, motivation becomes imperative, because it's the only tool you apply. If you're able to actually win top divisions this way with mediocre players I'd consider that an issue, but one with the opposition AI being far too forgiving, not the team talks system.

'people seem to think that is the case, its not at all. You can win after choosing any team talk if your team is set out the right way.'

So its turned from just me to people now? nevermind.

You can win with any team talk if your set out the right way, and you can win with the right team talk even if you set up the wrong way.

You have a much higher chance with the right one, to the point where its the difference between winning and losing.

I'm not going to pretend to be a tactical genius, I just get one that kind of works then stick with it (home and away, against any opposition) and let the team talks do the rest. It works. I had a lot of success in about 12 seasons and never paid a penny for a single player, keeping pretty much the same squad thru back to back promotions (not really my choice, the AI never took an interest in signing any of my players) The players performance didnt differ wether I stuck in my star striker or the one from the reserves. I just rotated them making sure moral was high with the correct individual team talks.

I wasnt even bothered about renewing contracts in the end because anyone of my players would do. I just kept promoting youth players and picking up frees, as long as they played in the correct position, thats enough.

Should I have really had any success with that approach? No, would be the correct answer.

If all you ever change are team talks its the only thing you will notice making a difference.

The new features of FM 12 sound really good. I'm still looking forward to a 3D view from the bench:p

Please don't move for the "fifa manager features".

12 years after my first experience with this managing game, still the greatest job on Earth. :)

If all you ever change are team talks its the only thing you will notice making a difference.

Thats exactly why I can say how much of a difference it makes.

If your changing everything how can you be sure its not your team talks winning the game and not your tactical changes that made a difference? Unless you dont use team talks? What makes you think it was the tactical change and not the team talk that kept your unbeaten run.

You learn in chemistry when doing an experiment that if you want to find out the effects of something, all other factors must be kept a constant.

All I change are the team talks and is all I notice making the difference. Its the difference between relegation and promotion. The difference between never winning away, and being undefeated away.

Team talks create morale and morale is key to success. Everything else is a very distant 2nd. Team talks have far too much of an effect.

Did you read the link i posted above, where wwfan states your wrong, he helped work on that part of the game, he is not strictly speaking an SI employee and has no problem criticizing parts of the game he thinks dont work properly so he is not biased. Why do you refuse to believe what he is saying?

I have done plenty of tests on my own, picking what i would consider to be the "wrong" team talk for games and it has little effect, you will not lose a winning streak JUST because you chose the "wrong" team talk, it may slightly affect a performance but not to the extent that it decides the final outcome. I've gone through winning streaks using no team talks at all, not even to praise a good performance, ive turned around losing streaks by demanding wins. Again yes they have an effect, but a tiny one, easily countered with tactical instructions both for the good and bad of your team. Moral is rightly very important in the game, in reality it is one of the biggest factors in sport, almost anything can make way to a good team confidence and moral.

Me too. They are overplayed and If you have got a competent tactic you can get away with the wrong team talk half the time. And on the otherside, if you havent got a competitive tactic, you can get away with the right team talk half the time.

Theres no mention of what I'd like to see improved. AI. It seems to get a little worse every year. The more complicated the game gets the more harder it seems to get right.

Theres far too many unrealistic events happen with AI. Team building was better 5 years ago. AI buying was better 5 years ago. The AI dont seem interested in a bargain. They wont even buy good on a free. I couldnt give my players away. My leading goal scorer for 5 seasons running had about 2 enquirys. I never had to fend of bids from the AI.

The AI keeping almost the same squad for a decade. Star players sitting in the reserves till they retire.

Players wanting more money to join a lesser club rescuing them from the reserves.

The newest one is clubs paying millions to loan a player for a few months, not even playing them. Even if they did play them those clubs wouldnt spend that much if it was for keeps, never mind a loan.

These kind of things break realism for me, and an even bigger crime it makes the game really dull.

The last few FMs have had this issue, only getting slightly worse each year. Is that being looked into or will it follow the trend?

You misunderstand completely, we were agreeing on how they have little affect if you have decent tactic. Its just not true that everything else takes 2nd place otherwise it would be impossible for me to have the success i get the way i implement my approach

You misunderstand completely, we were agreeing on how they have little affect if you have decent tactic. Its just not true that everything else takes 2nd place otherwise it would be impossible for me to have the success i get the way i implement my approach

No, I understand completley. I fully agree if your tactic is good you can probably get away with not doing the right team talk. (although I find it hard to believe anybody will have any long term success getting it wrong more often than not).

But if your saying you dont even bother with team talks then I guess it is possible to have long term success without them.

What I'm saying is with the right team talks you dont even have to bother with your tactics.

From what youre saying your not in a position to say otherwise, because you havent tried.

No, I understand completley. I fully agree if your tactic is good you can probably get away with not doing the right team talk. (although I find it hard to believe anybody will have any long term success getting it wrong more often than not).

But if your saying you dont even bother with team talks then I guess it is possible to have long term success without them.

I'm saying with the right team talks you dont even have to bother with your tactics.

that isnt true, if you have a poor tactic, team talks wont save you. but if you have a good solid tactic, and you are a very goood motivator (ie team talks and the like), you can get success. The same is also true IRL. Some manager gets the best from their side purely by being excellent man managers and motivators, some by being almost pure tacticians.

Are team talks vague? some are certainly and i hope they have been reworded. Are they overpowered? no

exactly, you go away to a team like Barca or Real, play with a 2 man defense and two centre backs both with pace of 5, push your defensive line as high as possible and see what happens, no team talk will save that result.

Some manages are renowned for being fantastic motivators without really being the greatest tactictians. You can find countless examples of teams massively over achieving purely because of their team moral and confidence.

It is true, because I did it.

I dont know how poor it was. Pretty much the one you get given at the start. 4-4-2. I Never used shouts or tinkered. We had 11 players on the pitch. Stuck players in the right position. I had a Goal keeper. It wasnt exactly a suicide formation. I didnt go out to deliberately create a losing tactic. I wanted to win. I conceded quite a few but scored more. Rarely had clean sheets. Done that for many seasons taking my team from bottom to top, without buying or selling a single player, till I got completly bored.

I never felt any connection to any of my players because 1 played as well as the other. If there contracts ran out I didnt feel the need to renew as anybody could play, and play just as well putting in identical performances. If my star striker scored 2 a game so would my reserve. My left back gets an average 7 rating a season so will the guy that went in his place.

Players meant nothing, tactics meant nothing. Team talks meant everything. Well maybe not quit everything but to SI its a hell of a lot more important than it ought to be.

Thats all I'm saying on the matter. Squad morale is important but Team talks are 2 important on squad morale.

It is true, because I did it.

I dont know how poor it was. Pretty much the one you get given at the start. 4-4-2. I Never used shouts or tinkered. We had 11 players on the pitch. Stuck players in the right position. I had a Goal keeper. It wasnt exactly a suicide formation. I didnt go out to deliberately create a losing tactic. I wanted to win. I conceded quite a few but scored more. Rarely had clean sheets. Done that for many seasons taking my team from bottom to top, without buying or selling a single player, till I got completly bored.

I never felt any connection to any of my players because 1 played as well as the other. If there contracts ran out I didnt feel the need to renew as anybody could play, and play just as well putting in identical performances. If my star striker scored 2 a game so would my reserve. My left back gets an average 7 rating a season so will the guy that went in his place.

Players meant nothing, tactics meant nothing. Team talks meant everything. Well maybe not quit everything but to SI its a hell of a lot more important than it ought to be.

Thats not a poor tactic. simple =/= poor. the default tactic is actually pretty solid.

Its not solid if I get my team talk wrong. Before I figured out team talks I never won a single game away from home. How can you go from not winning any to being undefeated if my tactic was fine all alone?

Morale wins games. A high morale striker will score more than a low one. I dont think anybody would argue that. How do you build morale in SIs eyes? Get your team talks right.

Thats definately the last thing I'm saying on it. I have seen it with my own eyes. trust me.

[...]

If you did that well with just that approach it is a bit concerning. I'm not sure I'd want to kill the possibility to be a motivation-centric manager by decimating the talk effect altogether, but maybe it needs to be harder to get such great reactions out of your players.

If you did that well with just that approach it is a bit concerning. I'm not sure I'd want to kill the possibility to be a motivation-centric manager by decimating the talk effect altogether, but maybe it needs to be harder to get such great reactions out of your players.

Thats my whole point. They have 2 much of an effect. I would have loved to see team talks work slightly but still needing to buy good players and the likes and adjusting tactics to suit. I would like to see team talks just maybe give you a 5 minute boost at the start of a half to maybe not concede or get an early goal. Maybe help win you the game. That imo is about all it should do. Not creating a bulldozing morale effect for months on end.

Morale should come soley from performing well, overachieving, winning and a good dressing room harmony with the other players, happy with training, happy at the club, happy with his contract. Important things that makes people happy. Not a quick 'we can win' before a match.

You should still need good players though so morale should only take you so far. No matter how happy you are if your not very good you should stay not very good.

The issue is actually the way I and many many others tweak tactics in FM. This is something I have come to realize lately.

The goals:

* I want my team to dominate at home and at least be the most efficient team away

* I want my team to create more chances and concede less chances than the opponent, at least if I am the favourite to win

* I want them to play quick combinations up front, be able to counter attack and play fluent, flowing football when the opposition has men behind the ball

* I want them to be aggressive and willing to take the ball from the opponent before they get to shoot, thus limiting their goalscoring opportunities

Tweaking:

* I sought to remove one problem at a time, and the first problem I noticed when playing a flat 442 was that there was a huge gap between the midfield and the defense, allowing their strikers to get the ball in front of the defenders all the time. I first tried setting their mentalities to defending and run forwards rarely, but it had little effect. I then tried to move one of the MC's to DMC position, but then there were two gigantic alleys to the both sides of the midfield, making things even worse. Finally I put both midfielders in DMC positions, and problem fixed.

* The next problem was that the wingers, while occasionally helping the forwards, were leaving them alone for the most part. The same with the full backs; they got a bit of help from the wingers now and then, but mostly, they were just wide midfielders and I couldn't get them to do both with any tactical instructions. So I moved them up front to help the attack. That fixed the attacking problems, but the increased space in front of the full backs posed a new problem.

* So I tried to tweak the full backs to be aggressive and deny space at the same time but didn't succeed until I set them to attacking mentality, first click closing down whole pitch, and the defensive line at first click push up. The central defenders got mostly the same instructions.

* The problem now was that there was a large space between the deep midfielders and the strikers which I didn't use to any good, and the strikers were easily marked out of the game. Setting them to run forwards rarely and first click attacking mentality (deep-lying forwards, but I have locked all the instructions so idk if that applies in any way) fixed the problem.

* The full backs now were incredibly annoying, as they very often just turned their backs to the pressing opposition, dwelling with the ball and losing it more often than not. So I tweaked various things before setting their passing style to max long passing seemed to fix the problem plus that their crossing became better.

* The midfielders then were set to attacking mentalities as well, because otherwise they would just back off into the defensive line ballwatching. Hard tackling also helped.

(I honestly don't remember the exact order of the tweaks, but this should be about right...)

and voila... my tactic. Just the way I like it, and works like a charm with so varying teams - like Southampton, Leeds, Schalke, Juventus, Las Palmas, Sunderland, Sutton, Manchester City....

Now, there are no tactical theories involved here - just usage of the available tools with the aim to improve the way the team plays, by way of observation and logic. It is a result of what works, not what SI wants to work. It is not a conscious effort to exploit holes in the ME, but is that what it becomes naturally? An exploitation tactic? I don't think so. The tools are there for us to use, and if the natural outcome of detailed tweaking is that the AI can't handle the way my team plays, then I believe that it is the product that is at fault, not it's user. However, one issue with this kind of tweaking is that of pretty basic Pavlov's Dog pshychology:

When the team plays badly, the user - in this case me but I suppose this is universal - will of course see faults with his tactic. The tactical change that is believed to have caused the bad performance will be removed, and another put in place of it going into the next match and the next attempt to improve the tactic. And of course the extension of this is that a good performance causes the user to keep that tweak because it paid off. Ultimately, after having eradicated tactical impurities and implemented tactical inventions, the final result is one of pure excellence - of course.

... except that there are two things missing from this equation: team talks and morale. You keep good stuff and discard bad stuff, but a large part of the good stuff is the team overachieving because they are in good form! This way, you are honing a sharp sword... but if the sword breaks no honing can ever fix it. The result is that the tactic requires good morale and motivation in order to work. It is like giving a hyperactive squirrel Red Bull - surely fun to watch but once the can is empty you're in trouble.

So, to sum it all up:

What I do is playing the tactical part of the game based on the way the game IS

What SI wants me to do is to play the tactical part of the game based on the way it should have been

The manage anytime/anywhere addition sounds great but would appreciate a bit more info. I normally play long career game with England, Scotland, Italy, France and Spain set as playable leagues. Will job vacancies still crop up and may I still be approached for job vacancies in non playable leagues? Will leagues need to be view only for job opportunities etc? Increase in game speed would be good but trade off may be lack of job offers and, presumably, smaller player database (playable leagues add more players than view only leagues?).

Haven't read the whole thread so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, and I know it isn't the be all and end all, but whats up with the 15 year old looking graphics engine? I really thought there would have been an improvement over last years as in the grand scheme of things, it's awful considering the technology available to us today. If you're going to add a 3D match engine then at least do it properly, or just don't bother. I wouldn't miss it that much. Thats my opinion anyway.

I've always rushed out and bought FM blindly on release day but I don't think I will be doing that again. I'm just not very excited about FM12 because of some of the past versions and the way the series has been heading. I can only hope I'm proved wrong so fingers crossed.

I was going to wait until the Patch in after the transfer window next February. But my computer was reset and can't log into Steam. Steam not interested in helping me resolve blah blah blah. So haven't played FM11 in a while.

I think I'll be buying FM12 just to be playing FM again. Although, I really had it set in my head that I wouldn't buy until February.

I'll buy it though. There will be bugs and frustrations, as per every release. But I'm looking forward to it. Nothing like wrapping up in a duvet with a nice glass of whisky by the fireside playing FM through the winter.

I was going to wait until the Patch in after the transfer window next February. But my computer was reset and can't log into Steam. Steam not interested in helping me resolve blah blah blah. So haven't played FM11 in a while.

I think I'll be buying FM12 just to be playing FM again. Although, I really had it set in my head that I wouldn't buy until February.

I'll buy it though. There will be bugs and frustrations, as per every release. But I'm looking forward to it. Nothing like wrapping up in a duvet with a nice glass of whisky by the fireside playing FM through the winter.

thats a lie and you know it , check your ticket on the support website -.-

In my opinion team talks are way too influencial and can definitly change the outcome of a match; however i think squad morale and streaks are even more influential.

I usually get an Ass Man with great motivation, man management and let him do the team talks, if i disagree i modify them. If i start a losing or "not winning" streak i use every trick in the book to raise morale like conversations, player contracts and arranging friendlies with really weak teams; this usually gets me on the straight and narrow again. If you have a good team, good players, good tactics and you're on a winning streak, virtually no-one can stop you.

Archived