Football Manager 2012 Announced!

Probably won't happen, but since I *just* started a game, like three seasons ago, it would be majorly awesome if there was a save-game converter that allowed you to continue a game that you started in 2011. I know, there's a whole bunch of new features, but reputations, player stats, manager stats and so on haven't really changed all that much. I have no qualms if that came with some caveat, like "only a savegame that's saved with July 1st will be convertable"... or whatever.

Secondly: There will be a non-Steam-version again, I hope?

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing i've always wondered is why the game doesnt come out annually in July to coincide with the beginning of the new football season. That's when football mania starts and i imagine many gamers want a new version of the game.

The patch updates would be less annoying too, cause transfers are going on anyway and people will want to restart the game to play with their teams new signings.

So release the game beginning July, have a patch in August if needed and the last one 1st September including a transfer window database update.

That schedule would make so much more sense to me.

Just a couple of things that would enhance my game playing for FM2012 would be the ability or option to offer long serving players the chance to have a testimonial, I always create a friendly game or tournament with there former clubs and call it a testimonial for players like I have a bond with in the game, as I enjoy transfer deadline day IRL as it is one of the most exciting days of the season for me maybe more emphasis could be put on this day with agents harassing you with players or your players trying to force through a transfer maybe and a major mispleasure in the game for me is the inability to loan good players to good sides, i.e with any big club I manage I find it nearly impossible to loan very good and highly rated youngsters to other PL teams, Ive tried loaning Lukaku, Torje, Munian all internationals etc to clubs and not a single PL club offers to loan them from me which is totally unrealistic in my view

Is there going to be better interaction with the media? It's bordering on diabolical right now.

Will there be a bit more of a fuss made when you achieve something that would be incredible in the real footballing world? It's all such an anti climax.

Will the club legend status get sorted out? Do the treble two years running and be favoured personel whilst somebody who scored 20 goals in his first season is above you. Then leave the club and be an outcast. These little things have a big effect on the game, in my opinion.

Not the be all and end all but little things can make a big difference.

Loads of other little things that I can't think of right now.

Just been looking at tactic video. Finally player instructions are to each player so you don`t have to keep changing them for each tactic.

That's one of the biggest things to be changed, imo, and a point completely lost on some people :D Anyway glad someone else sees the advantages of this :D

It really wouldn't make much sense to release a game that will already be out of date by release date in all the major leagues, and then make people wait 2 months for a patch with an updated database for the actual start of the new season.

well the way it works now is that the season has started but we're all still playing with an old version of the game rather than the new one. i'd rather start the new football season with a new game. just seems like much better timing to me

The only reason that SI would change from what has been an incredibly successful release strategy would be if they could guarantee that doing so would massively increase sales over a sustained period (like say, oo I dunno? 23 years? :whistle: )

Can you please give an example, I really don't understand.

Thanks !

If you have a tall target man and a small poacher up front swapping positions, every time they swap they take up each other's playing roles and instructions making them less effective as things are. In fm12 the tall target man will stay a target man with the correct tactical instructions and ditto for the poacher no matter which positiion up front they are in at any one time.

Two things which may have been answered already.

1) Ability to choose at the start of the season how much of your remaining transfer budget you want to use to pay off debt. So you get £50,000,000 and only spend £35,000,000. The remaining 15m goes towards paying off debt.

2) Ability to buy up the rest of a clause whenever you feel like. e.g.

You purchase Messi for £100 million pounds over 48 months in season 1.

At the start of the 2nd season you have £50 million pounds for transfers, but you do not want to buy anyone. You go to the clauses section and lets say you owe a remaining £80 million. You click on the Messi transfer and a box is shown which lets you enter an amount of money. You could opt to pay off £10 million right this second to reduce to monthly outgoings, or you could pay off £45 million to really take a chunk out of it.

Messi is a bad example due to the transfer value I used. If it was something more like £20 million you could pay off the whole lot.

There would have to be something in place to stop clubs like Man City abusing this. When you spend all the transfer funds, the chairman seems to (in FM11) randomly give the club cash injections.

2) Ability to buy up the rest of a clause whenever you feel like.

This is already in the game. Whilst you personally cannot pick which clause to pay off, if you chairman has good business rating then we will arrange for one of the clauses to pay off. Comes up in the Monthly Board Update or just goto clauses through the transfer screen. Randy Lerner always want me to pay Bents international clause off early for a little less than what is set.

Yeah, I've been thinking about things I'd like to see fixed too. Nothing really that major to most people maybe but it really annoys me that the clock since last save resets itself at 24 hours instead of going into days (and weeks) like it used to in FM09.

I'd also like to see fixed the annoying problem of the screensaver turning the sounds off, or even just leaving the preferences>display & sound page without pressing confirm and then hitting the back button, which also turns them off.

Things like menu ordering in a player's training screen (which could be the fault of my skin, granted) - I hate having to scroll right down to the bottom of ALL of the available schedules to create a "new schedule" right down at the bottom, why can't it be the first item?

I know they're only minor cosmetic things, apart from the sound, but things like that shouldn't be that difficult to fix should they?

I wonder if they added the Copa Argentina that started playing this year. I'd like to play it in FM 12 :)

I wonder too. I recall that the database cut-off date is the end of the European summer transfer window (Aug 31), and the Copa Argentina kicked off... coincidentally on Aug 31. I imagine it will be in, as the format and calendar have been known for some time.

Is there going to be an Improvement in the Financial System .. I am 20 years into the Game and my team keeps getting the same amount as prize money since year 1 for winning things and as the TV rights .

The Player Wages are going up and so is my Wage Budget but the Prize Money hasnt increased even a single dollar .

Realistically the Prize Money will be probably tripled or atleast doubled in 10 years and the TV rights money will be increased even more .

Working my way through this thread so I don't know if it's been asked or mentioned but does anyone know if there will be a slight change to the Private Chat options in the Development>Training Level areas? Right off from the start when you choose that line of chat there is only two options to choose from which are both negative ones saying that the player needs to train harder if they want to get in the first team/remain at the club. I have had the option of saying that they have trained well but this is VERY rare that this has come up and I'm presuming it's only come up if you have spoken to the player previously about upping his training level.

For me, there should be the positive chat options for training right at the start of this chat section as well as the two negative ones. I'm kinda hoping that that will be altered because at the moment you cannot praise the player for training well (unless you have already had a chat with him previously telling him to improve?) when you should be able to do that.

I just shout at them about their training, all the time, no matter how hard they're working. They're pros, they can take it! Also, it improves their morale and genuinely seems to show better results in the training levels screen.

or you break them and they are never the same again? ;)

Is there going to be an Improvement in the Financial System .. I am 20 years into the Game and my team keeps getting the same amount as prize money since year 1 for winning things and as the TV rights .

The Player Wages are going up and so is my Wage Budget but the Prize Money hasnt increased even a single dollar .

Realistically the Prize Money will be probably tripled or atleast doubled in 10 years and the TV rights money will be increased even more .

Some leagues prize money has to be hard coded into the game due to licensing issues.

Main thing i want to hear news on is if there is any network improvements been made for FM12, i've asked on Twitter but no one will give an answer, it's like it's some top class secret :D so come on SI, at least give us network players a small hint that somethings been improved.

Main thing i want to hear news on is if there is any network improvements been made for FM12, i've asked on Twitter but no one will give an answer, it's like it's some top class secret :D so come on SI, at least give us network players a small hint that somethings been improved.

clearly perfected It and are making us wait for the good news.... well one can hope xD

The manage anytime/anywhere addition sounds great but would appreciate a bit more info about what jobs may become available, depending upon how your game is set up.

I normally play long career game with England, Scotland, Italy, France and Spain set as playable leagues. Will job vacancies still crop up and may I still be approached for job vacancies in non playable leagues? Will leagues need to be minimum of view only for job opportunities etc?

If you were hoping to have chance of Real Madrid job, say, when it became vacant would the Spanish league have to be set as playable?

Would be good to have some clarity on how anytime/anywhere works re job offers etc.

Increase in game speed would be good but trade off may be lack of job offers and, presumably, smaller player database (playable leagues add more players than view only leagues).

And to add to that:

If it's true that the country (I think I understood that it's complete countries that can be switched on or off, not the individual leagues) needs to be loaded to get job offers from clubs of that country, does that mean I can load several countries temporarily in June to await offers, and switch all but my current country off again on... let's say August 1st?

Or do I need to load a country for an entire season (which will make this method less convenient)?

Thinking of job offers: Will it be possible in FM12 to show interest in jobs of clubs who fear their manager will leave at end of contract (or consider not renewing his deal) so that one can take over at end of season? Same goes for clubs offering me jobs while their under pressure manager is still in the seat, kicking him out when I accept? That's probably the way things work out normally don't they. Manager in trouble -> reputable manager is approached in secret and accepts -> manager get's the boot.

In FM11 only my interest can get a manager fired and myself in the hotseat, but when I do nothing, nothing happens. I'm never approached by clubs that still have a manager, however precarious their position is. Still I get tons of messages saying clubs consider their managers future or fear them leaving at end of contract, but I can do nothing with those news items really. Players can sign pre-contracts, why can't managers. Happens in real life..

I think it would be realistic if I fail at a club (or the board thinks so) that the board tells me:

"Sorry lad, time for a fresh face this summer. You may start looking for another job, cause after July 1st you're out of here and we've got Ruud Gullit to get your job" (foolish choice off course ;-))

Or: "Hi there, would you like to take the hotseat at our club when our current managers contract finishes this summer? We fear he will leave/we won't renew his contract/he's singned a contract at another club already".

Or I go: "I read in the papers that you might have a vacancy at your club in summer due to your manager probably leaving. I want you to know I'm very much interested if it becomes available. Please let me know asap so I can arrange things at my current club and give them the chance to find a replacement".

Or I go: "Hi board, I was approached by ManU to take over when my contract ends. I'll finish the season off course, but don't expect me to renew my deal. I've loved my time here at Biggleswade Town, but hey, It's United we're talking about here.. You understand don't you.".

Hmm, maybe one can add to that: "Hi board, that contract of mine.. I've just been offered double that wage at Woodley Sports for next season. How about doubling my salary or I'm out of here when my contract ends".

Archived