Inconsistent Young Players

Not sure if this is the correct sub-forum, but I've been a loyal T&TD reader for years, so feel comfortable posting it in here.

Anyway, I have my scouts trying to dig up good numbers of young (in this case under 20) players to poach for my somewhat cash-strapped team. I'm finding that an inordinate number my scout feels are some version of "inconsistent" (as a weakness). Compared to players my scouts find over 20 I'd say a rough estimate is five times as many young players have this comment.

My head scout (who re-reviews anyone who looks promising) is 16 determination, 16 CA, 18 PA, so I tend to trust his assessments.

I'm wondering, then, if "inconsistency" is something that we should expect to see more in younger players and if they're still young it can either be trained out of them, or they can grow out of it with experience. Has anyone looked into this or otherwise has theories?

If they play a lot their consistency will improve since i've seen the "fairly inconsistent" dissapear from the coach reports after some time.

Should happen with inconsistent players as well but it should take longer, personally i don't sign the inconsistent ones but only the fairly inconsistent players.

It comes in three flavours, a 'Fairly Inconsistent', b 'Inconsistent', c 'Very Inconsistent'. the values I have seen for the hidden attribute 'Consistency' are

a=8,7,6 b=5,4 c=2,1 out of 20. Never seen a 3, but a couple of 9s weren't reported as 'fairly inconsistent'.

Personally would only consider 'Fairly Inconsistent', and then only if he has a good personality and I am confident I could get him tutored. I don't know if this attribute rises due to match experiences.

It definitely improves. Back in the day I used FMRTE to try and figure out how stuff works under the hood and consistency improves for sure, usually not more than five points during the entire career. As player gets older, he naturally gets more consistent.

Archived