Stop milking the FM-franchise with new versions every year!!

The game is still made by the fans, for the fans, the feedback on these forums go a long way towards the development of the next game, they pay close attention to what is said on here and the devs get involved in debates about their features, there isnt another game out there i know of with as much direct interaction with the game dev's, i could be wrong on that but someone would have to point it out to me.

At least SI's updates are free, i worked out last night, in order for me to play COD black opps to its fullest, it has cost me over £100 after buying the game and the 4 updates i have had to pay for, thankfully SI dont go down this path.

I wouldnt say in anyway the quality of FM has gone downhill in recent years, completely the opposite, the product for me has gotten better each year, which brings us to the age old arugment, who is correct? You say they should re-think their releasing strategy, someone like myself see's no issue at all with yearly releases and have had no problem with any version of the game released, which one of us is wrong?

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love how this argument keeps popping up every year. FM will be released every year till the day Sega goes bankrupt or the world blows up, whichever comes first. I'm not going to bother reading 3 pages because it's the same arguments every year.

1) CM didn't stop making the game one year because the game sucked (well that's part of the reason), it was lack of sales. Now why would SI risk losing an entire year of sales and future customers to their competitor in FIFA Manager?

2) Every single sports video game on earth has annual releases, and they're ALL a little more polish and a roster update. If you don't like how FM is released every year, don't buy a single sports video game.

3) It's not greed, it's the fact that Sega need money to survive, SI need money to survive. Sega and SI need money to be able to produce more games. Sega and SI need the money to pay employees. Miles and Co. need the money to feed their families.

4) Yes, FM has a deadline. In a matter of fact, we've have to deal with deadlines since we started school. Unfortunately we have to rush things sometimes to meet deadlines, whether at school, at work. We aren't perfect, so expecting us to make something that is perfect is absurd. Sorry, FM won't be bug-free.

5) SI do care. They will help you if you ask. They're honest about some bugs not fixed after the 3rd patch. They will fix your saves if it's fixable. EA don't care about you. They only care about your money. They will ban you online for saying truthful things about their company. They don't care about cheaters, as long as they make their money, you can do whatever the feck you want. They delete threads on forums that criticize EA.

6) SI has 60 something employees. Tens of millions buy the game. Of course not all bugs are going to be found out. It'll take 20 years to test out 10 million different partitions. Yes, they didn't fix the minimum release clause bug in Spain and Brazil, but it's not the end of the world. Yes, you might not be able to get that 18 year old youngster from Spain on cheap, but you're going to have to deal with it whether you like it or not.

7) SI don't release new features till they have tested it and it's ready to be in the next game. Things like board confidence, 3D match view, DLR, and 'Manage Anywhere, Anytime' took a few years to develop. But yes there will be bugs in the first year that feature is released.

In short, if you don't want to buy it every year, don't. It's not like you're forced to.

As far as they could.....in the time they were given?. Whether SEGA are being greedy or not is moot for that particular debate.....the fact remains they are releasing to a deadline rather than a qualitative based deadline instead. The problem is they are not alone and in order to compete in the market they have to release similarly....when in Rome, and all that eh? I'm not blaming them entirely...but somebody needs to take a stand, and I can't see them doing it with cash being flashed in front of their faces.

You're confusing coroporate greed with them delivering something the fans want on time.

If you hate the game that much then don't buy it. If they have a drop in sales they'll have to figure out why and fix it.

Best you can do is boycott it, and hope others follow suit.

I agree with the OP as I feel the game is being milked to death each year just like the COD series and Fifa series.

O'k you have a few new additions each year but does it warrant the £29.99 retail price?

In my opinion NO!

Updates are fine in between before a big release every two to three years like the old days would be better as if you ask a lot of fan's they are still playing 09 and 10 than 11, that's how the series is going, being milked to death and the cow's udders are bone dry.

I love how this argument keeps popping up every year. FM will be released every year till the day Sega goes bankrupt or the world blows up, whichever comes first. I'm not going to bother reading 3 pages because it's the same arguments every year.

1) CM didn't stop making the game one year because the game sucked (well that's part of the reason), it was lack of sales. Now why would SI risk losing an entire year of sales and future customers to their competitor in FIFA Manager?

2) Every single sports video game on earth has annual releases, and they're ALL a little more polish and a roster update. If you don't like how FM is released every year, don't buy a single sports video game.

3) It's not greed, it's the fact that Sega need money to survive, SI need money to survive. Sega and SI need money to be able to produce more games. Sega and SI need the money to pay employees. Miles and Co. need the money to feed their families.

4) Yes, FM has a deadline. In a matter of fact, we've have to deal with deadlines since we started school. Unfortunately we have to rush things sometimes to meet deadlines, whether at school, at work. We aren't perfect, so expecting us to make something that is perfect is absurd. Sorry, FM won't be bug-free.

5) SI do care. They will help you if you ask. They're honest about some bugs not fixed after the 3rd patch. They will fix your saves if it's fixable. EA don't care about you. They only care about your money. They will ban you online for saying truthful things about their company. They don't care about cheaters, as long as they make their money, you can do whatever the feck you want. They delete threads on forums that criticize EA.

6) SI has 60 something employees. Tens of millions buy the game. Of course not all bugs are going to be found out. It'll take 20 years to test out 10 million different partitions. Yes, they didn't fix the minimum release clause bug in Spain and Brazil, but it's not the end of the world. Yes, you might not be able to get that 18 year old youngster from Spain on cheap, but you're going to have to deal with it whether you like it or not.

7) SI don't release new features till they have tested it and it's ready to be in the next game. Things like board confidence, 3D match view, DLR, and 'Manage Anywhere, Anytime' took a few years to develop. But yes there will be bugs in the first year that feature is released.

In short, if you don't want to buy it every year, don't. It's not like you're forced to.

Pretty much love this post, :applause:

The differences that SI make every year between the games are little, bearing in mind we are paying for a full game. The expansion pack system would be a good choice IMO.

Not really how the gaming industry works though is it, if it were there be boatloads of big games that we could add to list, C.O.D, FIFA, as these games barely change from year to year

The differences that SI make every year between the games are little, bearing in mind we are paying for a full game. The expansion pack system would be a good choice IMO.

Thats not particularly true either, look how much work goes into the ME time for just one example (follow the changelist on the ME feedback)

You say expansion pack, what exactly would you want people to pay for?

Established franchises can release turd for years on end and the general gaming public will still buy it and give it rave reviews, only a tiny percentage want the bar raised, the rest are sheep who would play farmville if it had a football.

That's spot on. It's not just about SI, which people are so touchy about. You get loads of games that people blindly pay their hard earned money for, even though those games are not worth it. Moreover, people pay 10-15 pounds/dollars for simple expansions, even add-ons. Total War series chuck in a few new units, Call of Duty releases a few more maps etc.

That's spot on. It's not just about SI, which people are so touchy about. You get loads of games that people blindly pay their hard earned money for, even though those games are not worth it. Moreover, people pay 10-15 pounds/dollars for simple expansions, even add-ons. Total War series chuck in a few new units, Call of Duty releases a few more maps etc.

No, according you they are not worth it. They may feel it is worth it. That is where customer choice comes in.

And Civ 4? I've never played a more bugged game on release. Half the people using that game before the patch just had a black screen with characters running around on top of it.

Still heavily bugged even now, for example I found the other day that there is a way to get all remaining techs from either Oracle or Liberalism, just by clicking right mouse and left mouse together when choosing the free tech. Accessing the Civilopedia as you choose the tech bugs you back into tech choice straight after. You can do this as much as you want. This bug has been unfixed since day one, and is pretty much gamebreaking if used.

Also there is the well known culture production bug. Set city to producing culture and queue something up behind it the turn the culture borders are due to expand and you get the hammers of the culture counted twice (with settlers and workers counting double). And here is a worse bug based off it.

Or how about the cheese culture win. Turn off espionage, get writing tech, turn on the espionage slider, cottage everything you don't need to feed your 3 legendaries. Post a sub-1000a.d. win in the HOF over at CFC. This one works on the fact that the espionage slider is not removed when espionage is, it is just recoded to give culture. No AI is even remotely capable of realising this and doesn't act accordingly.

They would recoup that selling more copies of the game(and the update) instead of losing customers. Like many people have said they skip years or don't buy anymore. It's actually quite good marketing.

Lem hate to break it to you but FM10 and 09 were the two top selling games on any platform last year in the UK. And I believe that worldwide FM11 was the top selling PC game (but I'm not sure on this one). By February this year FM11 sold nearly 800,000 copies worldwide, a pretty impressive figure for what is effectively a niche game.

You're confusing coroporate greed with them delivering something the fans want on time.

If you hate the game that much then don't buy it. If they have a drop in sales they'll have to figure out why and fix it.

Best you can do is boycott it, and hope others follow suit.

Firstly, the whole point of me replying to this thread was to show that "I don't hate the game" at all. I LOVE the game and want to see it thrive. I also want to see lasting, and creative improvements which warrant the price tag annually. If they are not there however, I don't see how this justifies the expenditure for fans, using simple logic.

I know it will sell, and sell well, regardless of improvements. Fans miss years and then come back, others are after that one little change that's been made and that one off payment each year isn't a bank breaker. It's the integrity of the game I worry about.

When I was playing CM back in the day and we got games like CM Italia, and CM Deutsche etc....seeing those nice new boxes with COMPLETELY different leagues was just beautiful. We're beyond those simple times now though...the game has evolved, and for the better in my opinion. But even evolution needs time to take stock and have a rethink before something radical happens.

Look, the fact is we all love the game (either in it's former guises of current) and we all want it sustained...I just want to see a little more thought into the future of the game rather than year to year (and yes, I know that the ideas the devs have stretch beyond the 12 month cycle!)

Hope you understand where I'm coming from!

Warrant the price tag of about €30 a year? Hardly bank breaking?

What improvements that were added do you think don't warrant the "price tag"?

Why are you concerned about the integrity of the game? What's wrong with it as it is? Again, if you don't like the new features for FM12 then don't buy it. I think there are updated databases floating about.

Do you think evolution ever stops? Evolution never takes time to take stock and have a rethink. That point you made about evolution makes no sense.

Do you not think they are putting thought into the game? Do you think that the new features that are introduced were only started working on 12 months ago? I would not say so. I'd say a lot of features we see in FM12 will have started work 24 or even 36 months ago.

Do you think the programmers just wander into work and go "ok what will add to the game today?"

Did you know that there are over 800 improvements to Football Manager 2012?

Let me ask you this, with so many improvements to the game, do you think it's right to hold off for 24 months to release the game every 2 years? Because by that rate they'd have 1600 improvements, possibly more.

With all the new improvements there are nuances that cause some bugs within the game. And the FM team work tirelessly throughout the FM12 year to fix these bugs that have crept up in the 800+ improvements and to fix them. Not only that. But they are then working on another 800+ improvements for the game.

Do you really think it's worth waiting 2 years for new improvements?

For the €30 or €40 whatever it is. You get 800+ improvements, plus a team from SI working over the next 12 months to polish off the updates, fix bugs etc.

Is amazed at how much people value £25

Probably spent more than most on FM over the years with an annual purchase since CM2 (including FML from start to finish) and struggle to find ANYTHING that offers anywhere near this value for money out any of my purchases over a similar time frame

Would even pay a similar amount each year for a date upgrade

I used to buy games for the PS3 and I'd finish them in a week, never to pick them up again. At twice the price of FM.

I think I play FM at least 3 or 4 times a week - for at least 4 or 5 hours lol. It's great value for money.

Warrant the price tag of about €30 a year? Hardly bank breaking?

What improvements that were added do you think don't warrant the "price tag"?

Most to be fair, if I'm assuming the price tag will be the same as FM2011

Why are you concerned about the integrity of the game? What's wrong with it as it is? Again, if you don't like the new features for FM12 then don't buy it. I think there are updated databases floating about.

I won't buy it, but I'd be happy to receive as a git from somebody. Like I say, I love the game, just don't like the annual release method

Do you think evolution ever stops? Evolution never takes time to take stock and have a rethink. That point you made about evolution makes no sense.

You're right, it didn't make any sense...will teach me to try and interpret my thoughts that early in the morning. What I meant, simply, was that in order for us (the game in this analogy) to evolve, we must take note of all the areas that need changing, and put them into action. These aren't overnight changes however. Now porting that to the game-world, I don't see a need to release a game if a big change or improvement that SI have worked on, hasn't hit a deadline. Wait for it and release it in all it's glory.

Do you not think they are putting thought into the game? Do you think that the new features that are introduced were only started working on 12 months ago? I would not say so. I'd say a lot of features we see in FM12 will have started work 24 or even 36 months ago.

Do you think the programmers just wander into work and go "ok what will add to the game today?"

I absolutely don't think that, but if they are sitting on a world beating improvement, or a slight change that would be a game changer, then my own view, and yes it's utopian, is that these should merit a pause in the release schedule in order to imbue the game with the additional quality rather than drip feeding

Did you know that there are over 800 improvements to Football Manager 2012?

Some of what you call improvements, I call bug fixes and slight tweaks

Let me ask you this, with so many improvements to the game, do you think it's right to hold off for 24 months to release the game every 2 years? Because by that rate they'd have 1600 improvements, possibly more.

With all the new improvements there are nuances that cause some bugs within the game. And the FM team work tirelessly throughout the FM12 year to fix these bugs that have crept up in the 800+ improvements and to fix them. Not only that. But they are then working on another 800+ improvements for the game.

Do you really think it's worth waiting 2 years for new improvements?

For the €30 or €40 whatever it is. You get 800+ improvements, plus a team from SI working over the next 12 months to polish off the updates, fix bugs etc.

I'll say it again. I understand the business model is structured in such a way that annual releases pay for employees, continue development, align with publisher strategy, and all of the above, and I don't blame them. I just wish it was different. Perhaps what I'm really wishing for is Opensource type development, but I know that there are heavy prices to pay for that so I don't particularly think it would work (and yes it certainly wouldn't from a Business perspective.)

It's not a narrrow minded view, or a naive one, it's a Utopian one...which, as many will say, isn't perhaps realistic.

I concede however that £30 isn't a lot to pay each year.....but that's a standalone expenditure. I'm not making a standalone argument.

I can see that my argument isn't going to be strengthened by my constant dilution of it on this thread so I'll leave it there.

Suffice to say that £30quid isn't a bad price for FM. Annual releases aren't always a bad thing. Improvements are always welcome, and last but absolutely not least, SI do a great job of developing the product.

The caveats to the above are, respectively, depending on the product, if they are warranted, if the are indeed improvements, and if they keep their core market at heart.

That is all.

I used to buy games for the PS3 and I'd finish them in a week, never to pick them up again. At twice the price of FM.

I think I play FM at least 3 or 4 times a week - for at least 4 or 5 hours lol. It's great value for money.

I bought the newest F.E.A.R game a few weeks ago for the best part of £40, its already completed and i prob wont ever touch it again, so £30 for a game i have played constantly for the best part of a year now i would say is good value.

Actually what really got me was this idea of some sort of "greed" by Sega or SI, and it's not the first time I've seen postings like that, and it just irks me.

For one thing, they have improved contract negotiations, by allowing lockable areas. That is an improvement over last years model that was frustrating to use. The agent will go back and look for other ways to get that cash, or they might accept it as is. There was no bug in the Contract Negotiations, per se, it was just awkward. And they improved it.

I don't for one moment believe it was as simple as adding a "lock" icon beside the contract negotiation.

And that goes for the other 799+ improvements.

Actually what really got me was this idea of some sort of "greed" by Sega or SI, and it's not the first time I've seen postings like that, and it just irks me.

For one thing, they have improved contract negotiations, by allowing lockable areas. That is an improvement over last years model that was frustrating to use. The agent will go back and look for other ways to get that cash, or they might accept it as is. There was no bug in the Contract Negotiations, per se, it was just awkward. And they improved it.

I don't for one moment believe it was as simple as adding a "lock" icon beside the contract negotiation.

And that goes for the other 799+ improvements.

Why?

xxxxxx

<snip>

I can see how it would. I stand by what I say though. Some call it greed whereas others would call it "a sustainable business model". To me it's one and the same. Again, let me reiterate, I don't blame them for it as to live and make cash in the business society we have today, you have to dine with the devil....I simply don't like it.

And as for the remarks relating to the improvements. How many honestly are improvements, i.e. make the original concept better, and how many are fixes for badly implemented concepts in the first place? This again could well be attributed to development deadlines.

(yes, I know a bit about development deadlines myself)

Well I don't know if this appeases you or not, but FM12 will have twice as many fixes/updates that FM11 had.

I see this as a massive change.

As I say they could make updates for FM13 (which lets say would be 800 again) then release those into FM14 (lets say another 800) so now they have 1600 fixes/updates and who knows what havoc that could play. I'm sure they are up the walls already making patches for FM to fix bugs that crept in during production.

It doesn't make sense to double the workload on fixing bugs and potentially messing up a lot of things on 2 year releases.

I feel they need a yearly release.

Well I don't know if this appeases you or not, but FM12 will have twice as many fixes/updates that FM11 had.

I see this as a massive change.

As I say they could make updates for FM13 (which lets say would be 800 again) then release those into FM14 (lets say another 800) so now they have 1600 fixes/updates and who knows what havoc that could play. I'm sure they are up the walls already making patches for FM to fix bugs that crept in during production.

It doesn't make sense to double the workload on fixing bugs and potentially messing up a lot of things on 2 year releases.

I feel they need a yearly release.

I can see your point.....time based releases are sometimes a good idea for this very reason. However as any project manager will tell you, you have a triangle of development in projects. You can set out with it fairly rigid in terms of the Timeline, Cost and Quality of the project. if you really want to push the boat out and provide quality exceeding original concept, you have to either give way on your budget or your timeline.

I'd like to think that the timeline given to FM releases was based on the need to heavily control and thoroughly test the additions in FM....I'm not entirely sold on that though due to the already mentioned thriving development that goes on in the background in terms of updates for releases not even announced yet.

After reading through 1 and a half out of 3 pages I decided I had to post.

Firstly, and most importantly - the OP's original point, and topic title, is farcical at the very least. How can you say a game that costs £25 flat rate - providing hundreds of hours of gameplay at such a low cost in comparison to other games on the market - is somehow "milking" consumers? Absolutely ludicrous.

Take COD for example, you want milking, what do you call £50 for the game and then £10 for map updates every few months - that's milking.

Secondly, as a lot of people have said, this topic comes up every so often - and the fact that you are having to now obviously shows that it interests a very small minority of the community. It wouldn't be viable to release a game every few years and be able to afford to make the dramatic changes that you clearly envisage. Like the announcement had mentioned in the post about FM12, there have been over 800 changes made since FM11 no matter how big, or small. Fact is - the vast majority are happy, and trying to stir up a fuss over a non-issue is just pointless.

As someone said on the first page, if you'd rather have a gap between the games, don't buy FM12, get the transfer update for FM11 then buy FM13 when it comes out. As for me, I've already pre-ordered my copy of FM12, as have many others.

After reading through 1 and a half out of 3 pages I decided I had to post.

Firstly, and most importantly - the OP's original point, and topic title, is farcical at the very least. How can you say a game that costs £25 flat rate - providing hundreds of hours of gameplay at such a low cost in comparison to other games on the market - is somehow "milking" consumers? Absolutely ludicrous.

Take COD for example, you want milking, what do you call £50 for the game and then £10 for map updates every few months - that's milking.

Secondly, as a lot of people have said, this topic comes up every so often - and the fact that you are having to now obviously shows that it interests a very small minority of the community. It wouldn't be viable to release a game every few years and be able to afford to make the dramatic changes that you clearly envisage. Like the announcement had mentioned in the post about FM12, there have been over 800 changes made since FM11 no matter how big, or small. Fact is - the vast majority are happy, and trying to stir up a fuss over a non-issue is just pointless.

As someone said on the first page, if you'd rather have a gap between the games, don't buy FM12, get the transfer update for FM11 then buy FM13 when it comes out. As for me, I've already pre-ordered my copy of FM12, as have many others.

And I thank you all for the testing you will do that enables me to maybe purchase it after the final patch.

First of all i agree that you don't have to buy the game year after year , from the last games i only own 2007 and 2010 and i don't plan to buy the next instalment either.

I don't want to upset the dedicated players and i do understand their feelings since i am a purist in the genres i prefer but the direction development has taken made the game far less fun and from what i read about the latest game for many people it isn't fun at all .

Keeping the game in simulation level makes it uninteresting for casual gamers , i am not talking about instant success but being the better team and not winning sucks and no it isn't acceptable to happen even a single time because it defeats the purpose of gaming , you are worst you lose you are better you win or teams are equal so you have a draw , anything else outside this line is frustrating .

I can go in specific issues but it will make the post too long , in general it is a slow complicated game where you can fail for no obvious reason ; i am also playing Aurora a deep , complicated , spreadsheet 4X game where failure is the norm but SI should know that this kind of games will never make it to the big market because people do not have the time or the will to invest in specially when the game throws you into a chaos of information .

I guess there is a choice to be done: fans or casuals , although i am a casual in FM i 'd say go for the fans cause there is no way you can satisfy both.

First of all i agree that you don't have to buy the game year after year , from the last games i only own 2007 and 2010 and i don't plan to buy the next instalment either.

I don't want to upset the dedicated players and i do understand their feelings since i am a purist in the genres i prefer but the direction development has taken made the game far less fun and from what i read about the latest game for many people it isn't fun at all .

Keeping the game in simulation level makes it uninteresting for casual gamers , i am not talking about instant success but being the better team and not winning sucks and no it isn't acceptable to happen even a single time because it defeats the purpose of gaming , you are worst you lose you are better you win or teams are equal so you have a draw , anything else outside this line is frustrating .

I can go in specific issues but it will make the post too long , in general it is a slow complicated game where you can fail for no obvious reason ; i am also playing Aurora a deep , complicated , spreadsheet 4X game where failure is the norm but SI should know that this kind of games will never make it to the big market because people do not have the time or the will to invest in specially when the game throws you into a chaos of information .

I guess there is a choice to be done: fans or casuals , although i am a casual in FM i 'd say go for the fans cause there is no way you can satisfy both.

I can't agree, even casual gamers are used to losing every once in a while, and quite frankly making the game 'fast and easy' would simply ruin all that SI has built up over the years. Football is unpredictable, which is why I love it, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

I think almost everything you have described there is exactly why i love FM :D

If it changed to suit any of that i would be off.

I can't agree, even casual gamers are used to losing every once in a while, and quite frankly making the game 'fast and easy' would simply ruin all that SI has built up over the years. Football is unpredictable, which is why I love it, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

It isn't about losing it is that victory is not guaranteed every time i am the best team and in any case fast and easy is the way of the future , as i posted i generally support developers making games for their fun base and not for the general crowd but it will be manly enough to put a sticker on the box saying casual gamers don't bother.

For as long as there is any chance not to win games like this at least 5-0 (i am the red team) i won't buy.

It isn't about losing it is that victory is not guaranteed every time i am the best team and in any case fast and easy is the way of the future , as i posted i generally support developers making games for their fun base and not for the general crowd but it will be manly enough to put a sticker on the box saying casual gamers don't bother.

For as long as there is any chance not to win games like this at least 5-0 (i am the red team) i won't buy.

Your having a laugh right?

You expected to win that game 5-0?? There are games like that happen in every league in the world every week and yet you want a piece of software were you are guaranteed a win producing those stats. If FM worked liked that it would be rubbish!

The match in question went one of two ways:

A) Chelsea scored first then sat back defending their lead playing on the counter, you equalised and probably finished the match stronger but couldn't get a winner or

B) You scored first couldn't find a second to close the match out and Chelsea nicked a goal.

Your having a laugh right?

You expected to win that game 5-0?? There are games like that happen in every league in the world every week and yet you want a piece of software were you are guaranteed a win producing those stats. If FM worked liked that it would be rubbish!

The match in question went one of two ways:

A) Chelsea scored first then sat back defending their lead playing on the counter, you equalised and probably finished the match stronger but couldn't get a winner or

B) You scored first couldn't find a second to close the match out and Chelsea nicked a goal.

Your point is clear, but he has a point, too. FM is not for casual gamers anymore. It's not easy to pick it up, play for an hour or two and be successful while focusing solely on picking a team and a tactic. I'm not saying there's something wrong with FM being complex and aiming for reality, but the point is it's not as easy-going as it used to be (like those games 5+ years ago).

Your point is clear, but he has a point, too. FM is not for casual gamers anymore. It's not easy to pick it up, play for an hour or two and be successful while focusing solely on picking a team and a tactic. I'm not saying there's something wrong with FM being complex and aiming for reality, but the point is it's not as easy-going as it used to be (like those games 5+ years ago).

I don't think anyone is really denying that tbh.

SI made a choice years ago that they wanted to go in the simulation direction rather than arcade. No doubt some fans will be/are happy with this direction while others aren't, you can't please everyone.

If you are a casual user and you don't want to/can't put the time in on FM then there is nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make FM a bad game its just not for you.

i can only get to play the game for a few hours each day, and im only in 2016-2017 season and i buy the new version every year and think its worth it, although if fm 12 starts crashing like fm 11 did for me for months on end il be rethinking buying it every year.

So basically what you want is an auto-win button? I'd suggest pretty much stop playing any game that ever comes out, except maybe CM2010.

Oh, and for those of you who are decrying the fact that FM does not pander to the "casual" market, look at what's happened with the release of Civ 5. They dumbed down that game a lot for the casuals and apart from a few players who either can't see the faults or who are interested in seeing how far they can break the game they've lost the majority of their established fanbase and gained a few short-term sales (if even that) from casuals who'll play it once and then get rid of it. Signs are beyond that they've decided to go with the "crappy game on facebook, imitating farmville" route, that all creatively bankrupt studios go with.

So basically what you want is an auto-win button? I'd suggest pretty much stop playing any game that ever comes out, except maybe CM2010.

Oh, and for those of you who are decrying the fact that FM does not pander to the "casual" market, look at what's happened with the release of Civ 5. They dumbed down that game a lot for the casuals and apart from a few players who either can't see the faults or who are interested in seeing how far they can break the game they've lost the majority of their established fanbase and gained a few short-term sales (if even that) from casuals who'll play it once and then get rid of it. Signs are beyond that they've decided to go with the "crappy game on facebook, imitating farmville" route, that all creatively bankrupt studios go with.

Comparing football game with a strategy game is misguided. Football is widely popular, there are millions of people who watch it casually and would probably like to play the game that way, but can't. There are far less people who casually enjoy strategy games. The appeal of FM is that you can simulate reality in a way...Very few other genres can do that.

The discussion has gone astray a little bit, but the point is SI can sell a new version every year and they will do it as long as they can. It's business. These kinds of threads appear every year because people take FM far too seriously and hope the company would lay low for a few years just so they can make a perfect game for their fans. That's deluded.

Comparing football game with a strategy game is misguided. Football is widely popular, there are millions of people who watch it casually and would probably like to play the game that way, but can't. There are far less people who casually enjoy strategy games. The appeal of FM is that you can simulate reality in a way...Very few other genres can do that.

I'm sorry, but why are you making such a stupid arguement? Millions of people play strategy games, even up to the point where Starcraft (11 million sales for the original) is a professional comeditive activity in Korea. And if you look at the sales of Civs 3 and 4 they sold 3 million for 4 and 2 for 3. These numbers are doing very well compared to Football Manager. You cannot say that strategy games are niche products unless you ignore the facts.

But then again comparing two different styles of games, I was showing an example of a franchise noted for developing indepth complex games which don't pander to the bottom of the market going for that same bottom of the market and getting badly burnt by it. While Civ 5 did very strong, sales tailed off very quickly because a) the game was badly designed, b) the game was badly broken, c) the developers instead of trying to fix the game, used the patches to nerf successful strategies, d) it demanded top of the line (or better) computers to run, despite being visually a lot worse than it's predecessor, which came out with a FM like strategy of being playable on out-of-date rigs. My arguement was that when you ignore your current customers in the hope of gaining new ones, you'll a) lose your current base, and b) you'll probably not pick up new ones (who's going to buy a game based on the premise "we've dumbed it down for you!")

From SI's perspective.... this is one of the most stupid ideas ever. The amount of money generated from releasing a new game every year is huge.

From a consumers view point .... compared to console games, FM is exceptionally cheap. Plus it is always nice to have a new game and Si always add new features.

I reckon the way to go in the future is a new released game every few years, with paid-for addons between releases that you can buy with special "FM bucks" that you have to pay real money for. With FM bucks you can pay for updates to specific leagues, or every single league for a special price, pay for new widgets in the match engine, and new options in player negotiations. Imagine how much money they'll earn.

Actually, that's what FMO should have been.

Archived