crouchaldinho

Britain and India Challenge

395 posts in this topic

I will definitely trying this after my Sampdoria get the league title... Very well though out challenge. Well Done... I hope i do well at this when i do it.

The following is taken from a BBC football article - URL listed below:

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_football/3937015.stm"]BBC Indian Football Article[/url]

[quote]

What's holding back Indian football?

With a population of more than 1bn one might expect India to be among the world's footballing superpowers.
But India is not even one of the leading teams in Asia, ranked a lowly 28th behind relative minnows such as the Maldives, a tiny chain of islands off its southern coast with a population of just 318,000.

As Leicester prepare to host East Bengal in a friendly designed to boost the game's profile in the sub-continent, BBC Radio World Football's Mike Geddes investigates why India lags behind its larger neighbours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most Indian kids have a passion for football but there are not the qualified coaches at the grass roots level to help them

India captain Baichung Bhutia
Domestic football in India is far more popular than domestic cricket, and many teams in the country's National Football League trace their origins back to the 1880s, when the game was introduced by British colonials.

Indeed, league football was being played in Calcutta long before Real Madrid or the world governing body Fifa even existed.

The country qualified regularly for the Olympics until the 1960s, and were invited to the 1950 World Cup in Brazil but the problems of a long sea journey and the fact that they still played in bare feet prevented them from appearing.

Now, ranked 143rd in the world, unable to qualify for the ongoing Asian Cup let alone the World Cup, those days are distant history.

Englishman Steven Constantine, who coaches the national team, says the problem is the lack of a proper grass-roots infrastructure.

"You see kids playing football in the street with no shoes everywhere in this country but there's no development at youth level. That, and coach education, are reasons why we are not as advanced as we should be.

"It's slowly changing but until the clubs do more to develop their youth. Its difficult for me to scour the countryside looking for players for the U17 and U19 sides.

Streets kids in Delhi play in a homeless league
"We have 25 states but only two or three are doing anything with any success to develop youth."

Calcutta, capital of East Bengal, is the spiritual home of football in India, and it's also home to one of the biggest derbies in the world.

In 1997 more than 130,000 people packed the Salt Lake stadium to see the game between East Bengal and Mohan Bagan, whose rivalry matches that of Celtic and Rangers in Glasgow.

One man who knows all about that rivalry having played for both sides is East Bengal's Baichung Bhutia, captain of the national team and the undisputed superstar of Indian football.

Bhutia echoes Constantine's comments.

"I was lucky in that I got a scholarship due to football and we had coaches in school, but it wasn't the same as European kids get. Most Indian kids have this passion but without the qualified coaches at the grass-roots level.

"If only they could catch players at a young age because I definitely see a lot of talent here - even more talented than English players at a young age."

Today football is nominally under the control of the All India Football Federation, and its president Priya Ranjan DasMunshi, a committee-based body funded by Fifa.

India's youth coaching set-up is haphazard
But national youth football is traditionally controlled by a different body - the Sports Authority of India - which gets no money from Fifa.

Hindustan Times journalist Jaydeep Basu says this makes it difficult to implement a successful youth development programme because the people who run football are politicians, not professionals.

"The problem is the AIFF is amateur. It is of politics. I can name people in Indian football who are secretary or treasurer of different state associations who have been there for 40 years.

"So for them holding onto power is the main issue. Improving the game is never the issue. So you need a set up for professionalism. Indian football never had a set up of that kind.

"There was a time when India were twice Asian Games champions.

"But now the power base has shifted to Japan and Korea or the middle-eastern countries - Iran, Qatar, Saudi.

"India has failed to keep up with the professionalism that has been ushered into Asian football in the last 25 years."

Not surprisingly, DasMunshi rejects criticisms of the set-up - and says he has his sights on a World Cup qualification by 2010.

"Football should be managed by the chief executives of marketing or training. This is professionalism.

Facilities are poor
"That set up we will complete within six months. If I am the president and I have a professional chief executive and coach we have only to decide policy but the execution should be done professionally.

"The fact remains that we did not improve our youth development facilities since 1974.

"Though at some time in Asian level our youth development programme gained some momentum it fizzled out because of lack of club infrastructure in the country apart from Calcutta.

"So we have taken up the national youth development programme as priority for the last eight years. I'm very confident that we have launched a mission that India must appear in 2010."

There is no doubt the amount of untapped potential is huge.

In Delhi, there is even a league - the Street League - for homeless kids, set up by aid workers.

"There are 5,000 children who live on Delhi railway station," said Street League coach Bill Adams, of the privately-run India Youth Soccer Association.

"It was not hard to get a few of them to come along for training.

"That's where the really hungry players will be. So they're now getting cared for by these charities and we're giving them the chance to break out of this poverty.

"We find our street kids are 200% more determined to do well in football."

[/quote]

Could India be similar to Brazil?

So much untapped talent and with the top sides of Calcutta getting gates of 120,000, the potential is certainly there.

C.

I'm indian so i will definitely take up this challenge.

And yes it is sad that India has such potential to in football but it isnt tapped.

[quote]Originally posted by Sidnv:
I'm indian so i will definitely take up this challenge.

And yes it is sad that India has such potential to in football but it isnt tapped. [/quote]

Nice one [B] Sidnv [/B] [img]http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif[/img]

Part of the reason I thought of this challenge was that I have been reading a lot about the history of India. As a result I have become more and more interested in the arts, culture and philosophy of such an incredible and diverse country. So the idea of an FM career in India really captured my imagination.

C.

Just started this...managing Amity United. They only have 6 players...and they all greyed out

Surely its going to be almost impossible to get a job if you load only the EPL? Can you improve your rep enough by only managing in India and the Indian national side?

Anyone that loads N Ireland or Wales shouldn't find it too hard.

after a season on holiday, i have taken charge of new delhi heroes. i have told the board i will avoid relegation, and have a wage budget of 6k per week. i have hired an assistant manager, 2 coaches, a youth coach, a physio and 2 scouts. Think the board are not going to be happy with me!

Ok, i'm startin this game with Mohammedan Sporting club. [url="http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/9361/mohammedanqt1.jpg"]PROFILE[/url]

They look like a big club in everything but success. The Wolves of India! A squad full of proper players, decent finances, plenty of rivals and playing in the 120,000 capacity Salt lake stadium!

First job is to sign up some staff having started with just an AssMan.

Got a draw and a win in the last two games and managed to avoid relegation!

[url="http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66/corinthiano_2008/NFL2010.jpg"]League Table[/url]

As I only managed the side for the last two games there will be no proper update, my aim is to avoid relagation/being sacked so that I can do a full season report [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I was dissappointed that Vasco had sold off most of the promising oungsters I had signed in my first spell at the club, with only two remaining at the club.

[url="http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66/corinthiano_2008/RasheedKudjo.jpg"]Rasheed Kudjo[/url] - By far the best player in the squad and I have high hopes for him.

[url="http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66/corinthiano_2008/SubrataMascarenhas.jpg"]Subrata Mascarenhas[/url] - Hasnt got the best physical stats but a pretty skillful player for Indian standards

Now with time to prepare the squad and make some signings I am hoping for a succesful season next year.

My average attendance is over 40,000 and the finances have rocketed! [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

But my team are still pretty crap. And a broken leg ruling out one of my best players means we're second from bottom after 8 games, with just 3 points. Although in fairness, we have has some terribly unlucky results, including a 94th minute own goal to lose 2-1 which would put Riise to shame!

With 40 000 you must be making a lot of money!! Had an average of 15 000 with Vasco and they made over £500k in two seasons so you ll be a millionaire soon!!

[quote]Originally posted by corinthiano:
With 40 000 you must be making a lot of money!! Had an average of 15 000 with Vasco and they made over £500k in two seasons so you ll be a millionaire soon!! [/quote]

The bank balance started at around £30,000. Now it's a shade under £1,000,000.

[quote]Originally posted by Gypsum:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by corinthiano:
With 40 000 you must be making a lot of money!! Had an average of 15 000 with Vasco and they made over £500k in two seasons so you ll be a millionaire soon!! [/quote]

The bank balance started at around £30,000. Now it's a shade under £1,000,000. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] You lucky git [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gypsum:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by corinthiano:

The bank balance started at around £30,000. Now it's a shade under £1,000,000. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] You lucky git [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can adjust the budgets to give me a £250,000 transfer kitty. Not that there's anyone decent to spend it on, and the transfer window is a bitch, but it's nice to have!

I'm just going to invest in youth and training facilities while hopefully avoiding relegation this season.

[quote]Originally posted by Flashman's School Days:
And i was just wondering if i would be able to post my progress (if i get the time) in this thread? [/quote]

Yes, I am sure we would be interested in a brief description of your past progress. It would be especially interesting to find out the potential for success in India.

However, I would rather hear of your progress in this challenge [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] - why not try starting at the bottom of the Indian league with a newly promoted team, as this challenge suggests? With your knowledge of the Indian game, you might be able to do very well in the challenge. [img]http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif[/img]

C.

[quote]Originally posted by crouchaldinho:
[B] POTENTIAL RULE CHANGE [/B]

Gentlemen,

Having thought about the challenge and, in particular, the level 3 and 4 part of it, I have been thinking of making a slight alteration to the rules regarding the current setup of the game for this challenge. I would like your opinion about my idea.

The idea is to allow the use of all of the professional leagues in the British half of the challenge, e.g. in England, the EPL, Championship, League One and League Two.

The reasons for this are the following:

1) This would allow an easier transition to English football for those beginning level 3. You could choose to continue building up your reputation in India, both at club and international level. Alternatively, you could decide to move to England/Scotland outside the top league and attempt to build up your reputation that way.

2) This would also allow the manager to better utilise feeder clubs and loan players to lower division clubs. I think this would be particularly useful when attempting to build an all British / Indian team. Having the lower leagues would enable you to send youth players down a few divisions for experience and perhaps you might be able to better improve the players this way.

This would not be mandatory but given as an option to those who felt that they would like to run the additional leagues in their chosen British league structure.

I would accept any selection of British professional leagues. For example, the user could just select EPL and Championship, or even just EPL.

For those who have already started the game with EPL only, for instance, there would be no need to restart the challenge.

I didn’t intend to make any rule changes at all but if nobody has any huge objections, I would suggest that this might maximise the potential of the challenge.

There would be no other changes to the set up.
Let me know your thoughts on this. I am happy to discuss it and if any of those individuals who have already started the challenge are deeply unhappy, then I will not implement the change.

Cheers guys,

C. [/quote]

I think it's a pretty good idea. Making the challenge broader to see how well you can do in England with British only players and your Indian imports. Of course, i've already started so it's Premiership or bust for me! But having more English divisions gives a better chance for others.

[quote]Originally posted by Gypsum:
Don't you just love the quality of goalkeeping in India! [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [/quote]

Not when my defender passes back to my keeper and he just watches it trickle past him into the empty net. [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Seriously, the defending and goalkeeping is pretty awful.

I reckon I just need to build a tactic around a decent target man to have success in the Indian league. Most of the defences are awful in the air and have low bravery. A strong, brave, aggressive target man with good jumping would clear up and score loads!

I wonder if I could tempt Crouchy to India? [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

C.

[quote]Originally posted by taifun:
[B] Chirag United Sports Club NFL 2008/09 Summary[/B]

A successfull season indeed. A slow start followed by a decent period just before and just after the christmas break earned us a fantastic sixth place finish in our debut season. Oh, and a 6-1 thrashing of JCT in the final meaningless game was just icing on the cake.

Full facts:
6th United SC 18-6-3-9 34-46 -12 21

East Bengal ran away with the league, Churchill Bros and Viva Kerala went down in flames.

Fun facts:
- Average attendance was 5125, but only thanks to the local derbies with East Bengal and Mohun Bagan pulling 25k and 17k respectively. The other games never eclipsed 4-500 people.
- A small profit was made, but still only 70K in the bank.
- A takeover was on and off for the entire season, and is still not done. Thankfully the numerous embargos missed the transfer window.
- Mahindra Utd won the Federation cup, Mohun Bagan won the Durand.
- Andrews Pomeiye of Mahindra won the golden boot scoring 19 goals in 18 games, picking up the player of the year award as well. [/quote]

Nice update [B] Taifun [/B] [img]http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif[/img]

Very impressed with your successful first season. Push on for a top half finish now!

C.

Before the window opened, i kept buying players (especially strikers). Wage budget didn't increase. So i kept buying more.
And now i have 65 players and i'm probably gonna get sacked.

Getting ready for my next game and I have SEVEN players away on international duty! [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

I play LLM when it comes to signing players so havent been in the same situation, unfortunately am not of great help here then... [/quote]

Hey guys - this is also my perspective on signing players. I play a mild version of the LLaMa rules. Basically, I believe in trying to play the game in a close to real life way.

In my opinion, every player that you sign should be scouted first of all. If you were a real manager you wouldn't just sign a player without having him scouted first. Plus it makes good sense to scout him - that way you can find out some hidden detail about him. For instance, after scouting a player 3 or 4 times you often get further information, such as whether or not the player is good in big game situations etc.

However, I am not totally LLaMa because I tend to use the player search screen to find players who I then I ask my scout to look at. But I religiously scout every player before signing him.

This trial business is new to me and I don't know much about it. What you seem to be saying is that you have found a player who you can offer a trial to, but you cannot scout.

In this case, I would say that I have no hard and fast rule for this one. The key, in my opinion, is the following mantra: is it realistic? Could you explain it in a real life context?

Therefore, I would tentatively say yes to your question, so long as you are intending to trial him first.

I could imagine a situation where you have heard of a player, possibly from word of mouth, who is playing in another Asian league and whom is now a free agent. In that case, I would say that it is fine to offer him a trial and get your coaches to assess him before signing him up.

I would prefer that everyone plays the challenge in a mild kind of the LLaMa spirit really. You know, make your own tactics and training, use the scouting facilities for signing players, don't exploit the match engine with a ridiculous tactic and don't do really unrealistic things. However, while I would stress the rules I have set out in my initial posting, my idea is to say 'play the challenge in a way that you feel is fair and will make you feel a sense of achievement'.

I hope that clarifies my thinking on this type of issue.

C.

C.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by taifun:
...there's a worrying lack of cohesion among our players....
[/quote]

Join the club! [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
See my previous post.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's my actual message though. It's improved to your level just now.

Had some playing time just now so here's a short progress report:

Halfway through 2nd season we're 5th, and only 3 pts off the pace. 11 pts down to the drop is a comforting thought too. Most of our debt were wiped out through the 25k home game with East Bengal. Pity there's only one a year. I have three players in the India U21 squad + one in the U19's. The tree U21s are drawing interest from the entire league, but seems happy to stay so far.

But since we're not supposed to do this well, I'll go make my season collapse now :-)

I would be grateful if you could all indicate what team you are playing as when posting updates, whether they are mini-updates, quick messages or full season updates. My memory is rubbish so it will help me! [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

That's my actual message though. It's improved to your level just now.
[/quote]

So your team gelling has just changed to 'some way short of acting as a unit'?

What on earth was your team gelling report before? 'Do not recognise each other' or maybe 'still learning each others names'? [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[quote]
But since we're not supposed to do this well, I'll go make my season collapse now :-)
[/quote]

I hope not! Go for it - it sounds like after another season you will be able to seriously challenge for the title. [img]http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif[/img]

C.

Well, it's changed again, now it's "blending well together" :-)
It started out at "...worrying lack of cohesion" then went to "someway short of acting as a unit" then something else I can't remember, and suddenly it's all good, took a season and a half++ though.
[/quote]

Is it just me or is this the first time you have seen these comments?

When I was managing Hitchin Town, I bought a whole new starting XI one season and still only went down to 'have a good understanding' or something like that.

Does it take Indians longer to get to know each other for some reason? I suppose there are so many different languages, cultures and religions in India that maybe it does!

C.

Not having much time to play this week thanks to my postgrad studies getting in the way so this is just another mini-mini-update.

Anyway, my career with Mumbai FC has got off to a good start - an undeafeated pre-season, which is an absolute rarity to me.

Having said that, I have always found pre-season to be very misleading. I hope in this case it is a sign of things to come.

I have only been signing players who will improve the squad rather than worrying about depth or covering certain positions. My tactics and formation will have to be adapted to the side I have got. As a result of this approach, there are only 5 players due to join at the start of October but they all have potential or are decent players.

My scouts are not finding me anything else worthwhile at the moment though, although I still have quite a while to find some players before the transfer window starts. I still have no idea how [B] Sidnv [/B] managed to sign 60ish players because nobody decent wants to come to Mumbai FC! [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Looking forward to playing the first few games of the season tonight if I get a chance!

C.

Davidmcain how did you complete 5 seasons so fast?

Heres a small update.

I beat Mahendra Utd 2-1 away then lost to East Bengal 1-0 at home after dominating the match. The team is good. A couple of injureis have hjurt me a bit though as now i dont have a great AMl or DM. Bought too many strikers.

Here are a few screenshots

[url="http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk134/Sidnv/?action=view¤t=NewDelhiHeroesHomepage.jpg"]Finances[/url]

[url="http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk134/Sidnv/?action=view¤t=NewDelhiHeroesSquadPart1.jpg"]Squad Part 1[/url]

[url="http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk134/Sidnv/?action=view¤t=NewDelhiHeroesSquadPart2.jpg"]Squad Part 2[/url]

[url="http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk134/Sidnv/?action=view¤t=NewDelhiHeroesSquadPart3.jpg"]Squad Part 3[/url]

[url="http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk134/Sidnv/?action=view¤t=NewDelhiHeroesTacticsPart1.jpg"]Tactics[/url]

[url="http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk134/Sidnv/?action=view¤t=NewDelhiHeroesTacticsPart1.jpg"]Transfers Part 1[/url]

[url="http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk134/Sidnv/?action=view¤t=NewDelhiHeroesTransfersPart2.jpg"]Transfers Part 2[/url]

[quote]Originally posted by Nightowl:
Well, I've decided to give this a go. If/when I get to the third stage, I'll see what the consensus is about my change, and go from there...

I've taken over Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC). With a name like that, how could I refuse? My transfer budget is 0, and my wage budget is 225k p/a.
[/quote]

Nice to see you joining the challenge [B] Nightowl [/B]!

[quote]
The sqad consists of 11 players, 3(!) gk, 3 strikers, and the rest defenders (two of these have some ability in central midfield). Not a right sided player in the bunch. The U18s have another 11 players, none of whom looks very promising. In fact, the only one who looks remotely decent is another goalkeeper!
[/quote]

Yes, this is part of the joy of managing in India. There is a complete lack of talent in the bottom clubs.
I had one decent player, a striker, when I took over Mumbai FC. It's hard work managing on the subcontinent!

[quote]
First order of business, signing a scout, coach and physio (I already have one coach and scout, and no physio).
[/quote]

Physio? [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Oh no! Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure that I forgotten to sign up a physio for my team!
Hopefully I will remember to sign one next time I play my game. Whoops! [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

[quote]
I'll be back with an update after the first season. Wish me luck! [/quote]

Best of luck mate. I'm sure you'll do well! [img]http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif[/img]

C.

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I have decided to stop playing my India save as I felt the need to go back to familiar shores in South America and have started a career there.

I will still follwo thi thread with interest thoug, godd luck to everyone [img]http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif[/img]

[quote]Originally posted by Nightowl:
Congrats on avoiding relegation crouchaldinho, and the update was huge!
[/quote]

I can't help it I'm afraid - once I get going, I just can't stop! [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[quote]
Also, I was the only team to take any points from East Bengal during the season, managing a 0-0 draw on the road. East Bengal finished 17-1-0, with 58 for and 16 against (+42).
[/quote]

Yes, East Bengal are the side to try to emulate. Their squad is packed with talent and they are just incredible. They beat me 5-0 last season - just stream-rollered (is that even a word? It is now!) my poor Mumbai side!

[quote]
The regen (Hardip Singh) [/quote]

Yes, I think I've seen Hardip Singh on my game, although I've a feeling he is a central mid on my version.

[quote]
On a sadder note, my finances continued to spiral downwards. My chairmen also accepted bids for 2 of my young defenders (both starters) over my head (for 100k each, but still). [/quote]

Boo hiss to interfering chairman! [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I'm going to be screwed too. My average attendance is crap. Plus I've spent some cash in the new pre-season. I won't reveal anything because I am going to save it for another HUGE update! [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I think finances are really going to hold me back. I just hope for a good finish this season.

Certainly those who are taking over Calcutta or Goa sides seem to get on better with attendances and have more money.

[quote]
Fun challenge so far, although things might take longer than I had hoped.
[/quote]

Yes, I know how you feel, but don't be disheartened. Rome wasn't build in a day. We should probably change that phrase to be more 'Indian'! How about the Taj Mahal wasn't built in a day! [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Part of the challenge is getting the club stabilised and trying to push for the title and you are doing very nicely indeed so far. Plus, look at [B] davidmcain's [/B] progress - he has built a successful side quickly.

The other thing to remember is that, as per the rules, if you have honoured your first contract with the club, you can move if you so desire. Perhaps if a higher reputation team comes up or one of the Calcutta sides sacks their manager, you could apply.

Personally, I'm enjoying the challenge with Mumbai FC!

[quote]
Back again soon with another season. [/quote]

Looking forward to it! [img]http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif[/img]

C.

[quote] The other thing to remember is that, as per the rules, if you have honoured your first contract with the club, you can move if you so desire. Perhaps if a higher reputation team comes up or one of the Calcutta sides sacks their manager, you could apply. [/quote]

A possibility, but I'm definitely leaning towards trying to finish what I started here. Call it a greater feeling of accomplishment if I succeed!

And I'm pretty sure the Hardip Singh I posted is a regen, so won't be in other games. I have noticed that there doesn't seem to a very large variety of Indians names in the database, so names repeat quite often.

Now on to the meat of this post. Noticed I have been very vague talking about my players, may be easier to connect a name with an accomplishment, so here's an introduction to my current squad entering the 2010-11 season (as of August 1). Hopefully this will allow me to write better season updates.

Format:
Position:
Player name, age, nationality (caps)
Date joined, cost, from where
Description

GK:
Shayami Ignatius, 19, India
2009/10, free, Salgaocar
Solid, and a huge upgrade over my original keeper. Has one 3rd place finish in goalkeeper of the year voting to his name, achieved last season.

DR:
Surajit Firoze, 18, India
2010/11, free, Kidderpore
Mainly a desperation signing, as I had no right backs in my squad (or in the U18s) prior to the June transfer window closing. Has okay defensive abilities and not much else. Should be serviceable until a youth system player or discovered youth can take over, and then can back up both the left and right back spots.

DL:
Avinsash Coutinho, 18, India (3 U21)
2008/09, free, no club
Clearly has the highest attribute scores of any of my players, very high mental and solid physical. Technical nothing special. Going to do my best to hold on to him, as he looks like he could be special (at least, in the Indian league). He must be loyal, as the chairman accepted several bids over my head in the off-season for him, but he signed a new contract with me every time. He's making a pretty nice wage now, though.

DC:
Suley Musah, 32, Ghana/India
2008/09, free, Air India
Team captain, can play in the midfield or defense, on the right or centre. Used almost exclusively as an experienced centre back, to bring some stability to the team. Finished third in defender of the year voting last season.

DC:
Ryan Singh, 18, India (2 U21)
2008/09, free, no club
Attempting to step into the void left by one of the defenders sold last year. Decent defensive stats, although little technical ability and a relatively poor jumper.

DM:
Subrata Jose, 17, India (2 U21)
2009/10, free, no club
Played a lot last season because of injuries and suspensions, probably before being truly ready, but did well. Hopefully this season is even better.

MC:
David Bikim, 28, Cameroon
2008/09, free, KSP
Vice-captain. Adds some solidity to my midfield with good attributes for this level. Makes a solid tutor with most mental attributes 10 or above. Did anyone not sign this guy?

MC:
Vijay Dias, 18, India (U19)
2009/10, free, Air India
Played sporadically last season, mainly as a sub. Was hoping for more. Hopefully he can step in to help replace two central midfielders lost/sold in the off season.

AMR:
Arata Izumi, 28, Japan/India
2008/09, free, Mahindra Utd
Supporters player of the year in 08/09 and 09/10. Pacey, decent mentally, pretty poor technically, but performs well, and has some flair. Managed 9 assists in 09/10.

AML:
K.V. Vipin, 19, India (1 U21)
2009/10, free, Corps of Signals
Also fills in at striker during injury/suspension. Physical stats are poor, others aren't bad. Good off the ball, composure, and finishing for this level, and adds some flare to the side.

ST:
Satyajit Singh, 18, India (1 U21)
2008/09, free, Assam Dynamo
Scored 10 goals last season, solid off the ball and finishing. Pretty poor physically, and can't pass to save his life.

Other Notables:
Zico Fernandes, 18, India (3 U21)
2008/09, free, no club
Natural ability to back up both wings. Quick and can cross. Hasn't developed as well as I had hoped from his solid scout reports, but how could I not sign him with that name.

Suresh D'Costa, 17, India (1 U21)
2009/10, youth system
Singled out at the best prospect of my 09/10 group, looks like a decent central midfielder. Played some last year in crisis, will get more of a chance this year with other midfielders moving on.

Nurul Rahman, 17, India (U19)
2009/10, free, Salkia Friends
Signed him for his pace, and because I need an extra striker. Doesn't provide much else, but gives me a change of pace off the bench.

Have two more new players coming in on frees in October, not worth mentioning unless they accomplish something!

Next season update coming later.

Interesting post that.

I notice that you have a very young squad of players. Hopefully some of these might turn out to be great players for their club and country.

I have been signing up a lot of youngsters too (it is all I can get!) but this pre-season I have been trying to sign older players (25 - 30) to give a better blend of youth and experience. I've mainly been targeting players that I've noticed in the NFL.

I haven't noticed much young talent that isn't already signed up by the top 3 big clubs. Rather amazingly though, I have a couple of prospects of my own sitting in my youth team. I am always dreadful at judging youth players though - you tend to need to take the coach reports with a pinch of salt and see how they turn out, don't you - but I am hopeful for these two.

Looking forward to you update! I'm impressed by your attempt to achieve success with Indian youth players. [img]http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif[/img]

C.

Hey there all, just a question before I go too far ahead. Ive accepted the India job in 2014 as Houghton seems to have stood down. I havent played a game yet though, as I wanted to make sure ive met the requirements.

After reading the opening post I can assume that I am suitably qualified to take the job as I have won a title? Or am I wrong? Hopefully its ok, as it would be a shame to wait another 7 seasons for the job. Still rules are rules and If i have to stand down then so be it...

Well, my new gig is with.....(drumroll).....New Delhi Heroes.

They've also got a €250K war chest, but I have no idea where to spend it, as no players under contract are willing to sign :-)
[/quote]

Yes, this was my problem.
The reputation of New Delhi Heroes is so low that you'll struggle to make any decent signings.

[quote]
I do think this starting position is the strongest so far, better than United, and far far better than Pune. Question is, can I actually put the money to good use? [/quote]

Do you think so?
I take it you just mean from a money point of view because they have absolutely no players of any quality - well at least they didn't in my game!

Good luck with them! I hope you do better than I did!

C.

[quote]Originally posted by FM_India:
Wow i'm really really excited reading this thread [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I'm quite excited to have you post to this thread! [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] It sounds as though we have ourselves a resident Indian football expert! [img]http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif[/img]

Will you be taking on the challenge?

[quote]
Great stuff, I will be checking this everyday for updates. In the meantime, please do feel free to share any feedback on the Indian league, any comments, or any questions you may have ..
[/quote]

I take it you live in India?
To start off with, I would like to know who you support / who is your favourite team in India?

I have been reading a great deal about Indian football after creating this challenge and I know that the Indian leagues have gone through a major change to become the I-League - I believe this was the first season of the new format. I'm hoping that FM09 will reflect the new format more accurately as I am intending to run this challenge again for the new game.

I am currently studying the historical relationship between Britain and India for my postgraduate degree and that has played a big part in the creation of this challenge. I am hoping to visit India for the first time next year and I will have to go to a game of I-League football while I am there! [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Incidentally, I notice that you have the Indianfootball.com website as your location - are you anything to do with that?
I think the Indianfootball.com website is excellent. I really like the intelligently written articles about Indian football that you can find there. [img]http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif[/img]

[quote]
P.S - An interesting bit of information - Mohun Bagan's next home game is against Bayern Munich !! How cool is that - Salt lake Stadium, 100,000 people...and it's actually going to be Kahn's last game !! [/quote]

That sounds fantastic! Will you be going to the game?

Thanks for posting. [img]http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif[/img]

C.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I do think this starting position is the strongest so far, better than United, and far far better than Pune. Question is, can I actually put the money to good use? [/quote]

Do you think so?
I take it you just mean from a money point of view because they have absolutely no players of any quality - well at least they didn't in my game!

Good luck with them! I hope you do better than I did!

C. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I think so. With United and Pune I had absolutely no senior players of any kind. At least here there are some, and a couple that look semi-useful.

As for the transfer money, I was a bit premature. Sure, there were 250K, but now it's 0, and I haven't spent anything. Oh, and we're 8K in the red :-(

Just about to start the transfer window, and have managed to sign David Bikim (for the third time) and a couple of other lads that look like they could do a job. Still need more players though.

I was waiting for something like this [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

mebbe I'll have a go but having already achieved world domination with Dempo on 07 after [B]14[/B] mind rending seasons (had to wait for the regens [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]) there may not be too much impetus [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

IRL has Barreto been cleared? That dude from Churchill kicked butt, but let us see.

Good to see Hamara Hindustan in the forums [img]http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif[/img]

[B]Crouch[/B]

Average attendance was 1862 in the 40K Chennai stadium, with the East Bengal game being the biggest draw with 2315. Not nearly enough to compete, and I have no proper local rivals to bring in the crowds either, the closest one is Chennai Customs who finished third in the Chennai state league back in 2004. Somehow I don't see them promoted to the NFL.

Mahindra averaged only 697 this season, while Mumbai FC were lowest in the rankings with 450, even though they finished 2nd and 5th in the league respectively. This was Mumbai's 4th season at the top level, they've finished 10th, 6th, 8th and 5th while attendances have remained more or less static, topping out at 537 when finishing 6th.

Air India went down first season and haven't been seen since, but they averaged respectable 2981 that season. ONGC spent one season up in 12/13 averaging 613.

I really wonder what it would take to bring people to see Mahindra?

[quote]Originally posted by Razer82:
[B]Crouchaldinho[/B] This is a great idea for a challenge and I shall be watching all the progress with great interest. This will probably be the next challenge I attempt, if and when I finish Gundo's.

Good luck to all the participants. [/quote]

Cheers [B] Razer82 [/B]! [img]http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif[/img]

Look forward to you attempting the challenge. No doubt I will still be struggling in India by then! [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Halfway through my current season lads. My end of season update will reveal all, of course. It's been a rollercoaster ride so far. But then it always is when I'm in charge, and not normally in a good way! [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

C.

Having been reading this for a few days thought i would give it ago.
It is my first challenge, so go easy on me.
I also do not get that amount of time to play, so may not be able to post that much, Sorry...

[url="http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9350/indianprofilehh7.jpg"]Profile[/url]

Decided to go as Mohammedan for two reasons. They had a better squad than the other team (Vasco) and couldn't resist the 120,000 seater stadium.
[url="http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/4025/squadec9.jpg"]Squad[/url]

[quote]Originally posted by sarge:
Having been reading this for a few days thought i would give it ago.
It is my first challenge, so go easy on me.
I also do not get that amount of time to play, so may not be able to post that much, Sorry...
[/quote]

Great to see you here giving it a go! [img]http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif[/img]

Don't worry about being a slow player. I'm really slow too but then I do have an MA to study for!

The idea of this challenge is that, due to the fewer amount of games in India, those with less time to play can get really involved and get to the end of seasons a bit quicker.

Don't worry about posting too much - just enjoy the challenge and let us know how you're getting on. [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[quote]
Decided to go as Mohammedan for two reasons. They had a better squad than the other team (Vasco) and couldn't resist the 120,000 seater stadium.
[/quote]

Good luck with the Black Panthers! [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif[/img]

C.

Crouch may i join this challenge. Looks good fun and is one of the better thought out challenges. Another reason that i want to join is that i am a teacher and my assistant is Indian. I know he supports East Bengal but that is it. He once was a teacher but was caught playing fm when he should have been teaching. I quite like doing challenges as well and judging by the posts this is a fun one.

Played six won 1 drawn 1 and lost 4. Bottom of the league but 2 points clear of safety. Come on indian Bank!

[B]Oil & Natural Gas Corporation 2011/12 Season Report[/B]

The season didn't start well, with a 2-0 road loss to Air India. Then, for game 2, 7 of my 21 man first team were away on international duty, with another 2 injured. This is the first time I've had players away like this during a game. Managed a 0-0 tie at home, but lost David Bikim for 2-3 weeks. The remainder of the first portion of the season went okay, and I entered the Durand Cup period with a 4-1-3 record.

During the October transfer period, Surkumar Singh, my starting right back, was sold off to Dempo for 150k. I seem to have a revolving door policy in the defense, but it doesn't seem to hurt much as I am always one of the top defensive teams in the league. The main event, however, was my chairman accepting a bid for Satyajit Singh, my starting striker for the last few years. Now, I may have complained about a lack of goals, but he was still a solid player, and it wasn't entirely his fault. I noticed that several other clubs were also interested, including major clubs East Bengal and Mohun Bagan, so it was time to offer him out for even more. This paid off, as East Bengal came in with a 300k bid (where do they get all this money?), with an additional 500k after an international appearance, plus 10% sell-on and a friendly. As he was a budding international, I prayed he would accept their contract offer over the chairman accepted bid, and luckily (or obviously, considering their greatness), he did! Once he played another international (he played his first during negotiations) later in the month, my balance ballooned to around 1.1M. Sadly, even with some transfer funds and wage space, I could not attract any decent players, all being either uninterested or demanding higher wages than I could offer. Still, at least I don't have to worry about finances for a while.

Back to the season, we advanced to the semi final of the Durand Cup, only to lose 2-0 to Mohun Bagan. East Bengal, of course, won the competition. The second portion of the season did not go particularly well, with a 4-3-3 record. In the end, I finished the season with a 8-4-6 record, 24 for and 19 against. This was only good enough for 6th place, a step back for the team. Again I had the second best defense (East Bengal conceded 9), but had the fourth worst offense, which sadly is actually an improvement. East Bengal won the league yet again, with a 16-2-0 record, 46 for and 9 against. They did not lose a game in any Indian competition for the third straight year, having gone undefeated in all 26 games (and winning both cups again).

On the awards front, 33 year old defender and captain Suley Musah (he of the 1 pace and acceleration) was named to the Asian All Star XI, and keeper Shaymal Ignatius was second in Indian Goalkeeper of the Year, after finishing third the two previous seasons. Right winger Arata Izumi led the league in assists with 9, and was the fans player of the year (as he has been every season since I've been in charge). Fullback Harvinder Thapa, a free signing from National Club, was the signing of the season. Even more amusingly, the two players I sold in October (mentioned above) were the two worst signings of the season!

In other off season news, David Bikim has become an Indian citizen, freeing up a foreigner slot. Of course, he's the only foreigner I've ever had, so this may not mean much. Maybe he'll get a call to the Indian national squad, they could do a lot worse than this solid player. Also, my original 12.5k p/a sponsorship deal expired, and was replaced by a 31.25k sponsorship until 2016. I was hoping for more, but every little bit helps.

Finances remain a sore point. My average attendance was 884, better than last season, but still not reaching the 950 I averaged in 2009/10. Even with a smaller squad, and a wage bill of only half my budget, my team still loses over 20k a month. I have built a cushion with my sales, but how long will it last, especially if I manage to sign the high wage earners I worry I'll need to take the next step. Currently, my highest earner is Arata Izumi, at only 19500 p/a, and only 6 players make 10k p/a or more; looking at other big clubs, these numbers are laughable. Near the end of the season, I did manage to convince the board to use some of its new-found wealth to improve the training and youth facilities, so at least I'm gaining something from all these sales.

As a bonus for those interested in the fate of Indian football as a whole, Hardip Singh completed his first season with RC Lens playing 33 games, scoring 16 goals, with an average rating of 7.24. Looks like he could be the leader of the national side for a long time to come.

Next season looks like it might be tough, unless my young players continue to get even better. I have essentially run out of players to sell to raise funds (unless I lose what few core players I have remaining), and unless I can attract some more established players, I will have to continue to plug holes with young players who may not be ready. It has gotten me this far, but I worry about the teams ability to take the next step without some major signings.

Oh well, I have no plans on abandoning my team yet (although if East Bengal comes calling...), I'm hoping I can still take them to the top. I've got some more time now, so hopefully the next update should come soon.

Mohammedan 2015-2016

[B]Domestic[/B]

Finally we won everything. Im not going to report much here as we are firmly esatblished at the top and the goal now is Asian Domination. It was the first year we took everything out though, including the elusive super cup, which was a final obstacle we fell at last year.

[B]Continental[/B]

We went 1-4-1 this year, not bad but not great. Its a shame though, as this is what I played all year for, and while the revenue is nice, success woulb be nicer. Too many late goals, again was the theme, we just lack the bottle in the last 10 minutes for some reason. We played with Urawa Reds., Melbourne Victory, and Persipura.

[B]National Team[/B]

We rose to 86th in the world, a new high, and getting near that elusive top 75 ranking. We easily beat Syria and Macau to make the first group stage of World Cup Qualifying, and have drawn with UAE 2-2 and lost to Kuwait 2-1. Saudi Arabia is the other team in the group, and the top two go through to the final qualifying phase.

Yeah so i gonna try this challenge.. [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Just from the start i think i have made a screw up, because i took my own nationality which are danish.. well hope thats alright, i am also gonna be part Indian [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

But beside this i hope i am gonna get a succesful FM 2008 game at last, havent tried that yet.. :S

But here is my [url="http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z98/xStOnEhEaDx/FM08/NewProfile.jpg"]Profile[/url]

Dont really know much about SBT..
cant remember if anyone else is playing with them?..

But the media prediction is 10th, so it can kinda only go up from here [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But here i come [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

As promised, a quick update on my Confederation Cup run.

Game 1, Persipura, who scored four quick goals and held on to win 4-2 in a game we dominated. Their finishing was clinical, as they only managed 5 shots on target all game. I hate it when this happens!

Pyongyang City was up next, another dominant game on my part. This time, the score matched the play, and we won 3-1. Feeling pretty confident, having dominated both games so far, with the final team appearing to be the weakest of the bunch. More importantly, I looked at the the attendance: 3506! That's huge for a team that averaged 842 last season. This competition should hopefully make us some money. The 5k for winning the game was nice too.

Finance & Revenue were weak as expected, resulting in a dominant 4-2 win. I am a bit concerned that their only two shots on target went in, I'm starting to worry about my goalie, we're leaking too many goals on few shots.

A 3-0 home win against Persipura followed, with an even better attendance of 4267; a 1-1 draw with Pyongyang City followed. A 4-0 victory (2144 attendance) over Finance secured first place in the group.

At this point, it was time for the Indian Super Cup Final, against old nemesis East Bengal. We were clearly the better team in this one, but the game remained scoreless until the 84th, when my former striker Satyajit Singh scored. Time to send everyone forward, and we were rewarded with a 90th minute goal. Later in injury time, the referee awarded us a penalty shot! Problem was, the goalie stopped it and the rebound was missed. On to the shootout, which after 8 shooters each we finally won 5-4. Another piece of silverware for the collection, the only Indian award we still need is the Durand Cup.

In other news, the end of June brings another move for Indian star Hardip Singh, this time to the Premier League and Blackburn for 13.25M + clauses. Maybe if I can finish off here in India soon, they'll hire me and I'll already have my Indian player to build around.

Back again with next season's update, including the conclusion of my Confederation Cup run.

thanks mate [img]http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif[/img] should be good! are there any restrictios on work permits in the indian league? dont suppose many brazilians would be interested

So I was reading this thread and i got extremely interested in this challenge - I'm not sure why but I am. So I accept your challenge C! (This is my first time both doing a challenge and managing a small club.)

So i went 1 year into the future, and the two clubs that came out were Vasco and HASC (? not sure). Anyway, i just went with the one with the bigger stadium ([B]Vasco[/B]), i was kinda ****ed i didn't get the clubs with 120k but whatever.

At first, they gave me a budget of 0 with 5 players in the senior squad. I was screwed. Immediately, I promoted all the 15 year olds. I started off the season pretty much losing all my friendlies 4 or 5-0. :-\

The federation cup came around, and that too i lost in the preliminary round. I knew i had to do something. So I went into my board room and tried to adjust my wage budget, and to my surprise, I could easily squeeze 250k out of the board. I was delighted. I had already signed a whole bunch of free players, but i was desperately in need of a good striker. After browsing around, the best player i found was [B]Badmus Baba Thunde[/B]. And man, what a buy! I'm not sure if it was the [B]tactics[/B] i was using (I played a 4-3-3, attacking at around 60%, no creative freedom, defensive line around 20%) but this guy had an average of 7.88. Took around two games to settle in, but then he went on to score 16 in 18 with 11 assists. The 3 strikers overwhelmed most teams defense. Needless to say, [B]I won the league[/B], beating East Bengal by a point.

I need to boost my defense for next season. I will also probably stay around until they have a state-of-the-art youth academy, or an incredible youngun until i move to the UK.

Pardon the poor sentence structure and spelling errors, its rather late over here in the US. I may put up some screenies later.

Another thing [B] Nightowl [/B] - it suddenly occurred to me that you are playing with Oil and Natural Gas Cooperation, ONGC. They are semi-professional on my game. Were they semi-pro when you took over?

ONGC also play at the Cooperage - the same stadium as Mumbai FC. I know you mentioned attendance worries but did you not have the same issues as me?

My life at Mumbai FC is becoming more and more difficult. Attendances are a pile of poo and my chairman has sold YET ANOTHER of my best players behind my back. I think that's SIX key first team players that he has sold over the summer. My replacements have all been youth players as I haven't been given much in the way of funds to spend. We are, at least, solvent now, but I fear that the club will struggle to match last year's achievement of a 5th place finish.

C.

Phew, HASC were available again without me having to reload several times on the season reset day. I got lucky there I suppose.