Sports Interactive Community
wazza

Does anyone ever get sacked or find game difficult

Been playing CM and FM for years now and I have never been sacked in an installment of the game. I have previously managed low level teams taking them all the way up to the premiership and winning the champs league with them in the past. However in FM2011 I decided to manage top teams and have won everything except champs leage at moment but currently with Real Madrid and expect to.

What I have noticed is that once you have built your team, got your tactics sorted you can win the league without having to use instructions or shouts during the matches and can play with highlights on at maximum as you win most of the games. I very rarley listen to the backroom advice now as the team I built is so good.

It is only when I have not been domianting that I use these instructions to win games.

This also happened once I have gone through the leagues in previous versions of the games, once you start dominating you can forget about alot of the mundane things like shouts, backroom advice etc as the majority of the time the team wins anyway without having to look and tweak things.

To me once you are dominating the game can become boring and not a challenge which it should not do, this wants you to move clubs eventually and take on another challenge only for once achieved the same thing will happen again, and again and again.

Is it just me or has anyone ever struggled on CM/FM, or ever been sacked?

It seems as long as you make it past the second season, you'll continue to do well.

It's in those first two seasons that things can go badly wrong.

I've been sacked on FM11. I took over Palermo and tried to rebuild the squad in a short space of time, I brought some great players in but things just didn't click quickly enough, meaning we struggled and I lost my job.

First time in ages I'd been sacked, I think the last time was also with a journeyman type game on FM08.

Ive been sacked once on Fm11, with Chelsea in 2014/15 after finishing 4th. It was pretty harsh considering I took them from 9th in 2012/13 to 2nd in 2013/14.

I haven't been sacked in some time but when I first started playing football manager, I did get sacked a couple times.

This game used to be so difficult for me.

I got sacked as York City manager when a new board took over the club.

As stated in my opening post, I have never experienced getting sacked on any version of the game.

I am finding that I am feeling that I actually want to get sacked to experience it in the game on my journeyman career. I think once I have I will celebrate it like a promotion!!! lol

I'm about to be sacked. I started the season with something like 20 consecutive wins. I've had 5 losses, 2 draws, and 3 wins after that and I do not know what is wrong. I'm guessing it's my pep-talks as this tactic has been working fine for the last few seasons, but I honestly don't know what just happened.

I got sacked as York City manager when a new board took over the club.

I always hated that. I got sacked at Reading when a new board took over, even though I had them fighting for a european place in their first season in the premiership.

I always hated that. I got sacked at Reading when a new board took over, even though I had them fighting for a european place in their first season in the premiership.

I have never had it happen before until then.

Also got sacked as Brazil manager on FM10 but they had huge expectations. Got sacked as England manager after a poor performance in the confederations cup, also FM10.

I have been sacked yes. My First ever game CM93 Sacked by Man City after a few years of mid-table mediocrity. CM00/01 Took Wigan into the Champions league but brought in a new striker who destabilized the dressing room and was sacked midway through the season again with mid-table obscurity beckoning. FM08 Sacked by Coventry half way through my first season as I was guiding them to relegation.

Because AI squad building isn't very good Human players are always likely to do well and be challenging for honers which means not being in danger of a sacking.

I've playing CM/FM since 98/99 or 99/00 (I think) and consider myself to know the game quite well, despite not being a particularly great player. In FM11 alone I've gotten relegated into an unplayable division (hence sacked) once, and resigned after getting very close to the sack in another savegame...

Just got sacked by newcastle in 3rd season, due to boardroom takeover. won league cup 1st season and 3rd place in league. 2nd season 4th in league, and won FA cup, also made them nearly 100 million in player sales, 2nd in league after 6 games, and new chairman didn't like me and sacked me and put Martin O'Neil in charge. sickening seeing as Man City offered me job in off season and i turned it down because i thought this season i could challenge for 1st place.

The feeling i have is that the game gets easier as the seasons go by. And the main reason for that is that the AI teams dont now how to build good teams. Teams like Barcelona or Real Madrid get weaker after 5 or 6 seasons (when the real players get retired). this is one thing i really hope SI improved in the next versions. The quality of AI teams in terms of buying players and improving their teams.

So, i really agree with the OP. If we start well, build or team, got a good tactic... if we win in the first 2 or 3 seasons, then we will win almost every time without much effort.

Yep agree i think if SI can get the AI Right then we will have 1 hell of a game on our hands (even though i think games class already) and make the longevity even better

I've been sacked in a journeyman career, mostly because of the mess the previous idiot left me to clear up.

It's one of the odd things about FM that it gets easier the longer you play.

It happens when you start with newly promoted sides all the time, sometimes they're just rubbish and you can't get in players of the right calibre and things get bad.

I have never had it happen before until then.

Also got sacked as Brazil manager on FM10 but they had huge expectations. Got sacked as England manager after a poor performance in the confederations cup, also FM10.

Is common to see Brazil sacking managers frequently. I remember before the last update of FM11, I defeated Brazil in 3 different ocations (1st and 3rd were friendly match, 2nd was Copa America final) and the 3 times they sacked their manager after the match. On topic, I was never sacked, but I left myself in some situations. For example, in FM09, I manage to win Scottish Premier with Motherwell, and I was preparing the team to face the Champions league, but then an offer came for my young and best CT and the board took the negotiations and they sold him in the end. That ****ed me so much that I left...

In FM10, I started unemployed and with a Sunday League reputation. Managed to land a job in Chile, in their second division, managing a team so hopeless that after 14 games, they only had 4 points. I lost 16 games in a row, conceding 73 goals and scoring 9 before being sacked. :(

I agree with everybody else that the game gets too easy after a few seasons though.

The only problem I have is that my team never seems to have possession and dominate no matter who I play.

The only problem I have is that my team never seems to have possession and dominate no matter who I play.

FM-meme: It's your tactics!

Make a thread (or search for one) "how do I dominate possession and chance creation?" ;)

I dont think Ive ever gotten sacked from an English team and most of the time I just play a dafuge challenge game so I'm starting from low level English. In my opinion its tougher when your managing low level clubs in low level nations. Less players to find to sign thus more of a chance you get fired for performance. A couple of times Ive tired other challenges to start low in other nations and seem to get fired in those. Maybe thats just because Im not the best at this game since Ive still yet to topple the dafuge challenge.

What I have noticed is that once you have built your team, got your tactics sorted you can win the league without having to use instructions or shouts during the matches and can play with highlights on at maximum as you win most of the games. I very rarley listen to the backroom advice now as the team I built is so good.

It is only when I have not been domianting that I use these instructions to win games.

Strange thing is only today in another thread someone else was saying how team talks and conferences were all that mattered not your squad or tactics... its a funny thing perception isn't it!

I've been sacked three times having played CM/FM since around 94.

1/ Back when Atletico Madrid were in the Spanish 2nd tier. Played 5 matches, 2 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses.......sacked!

2/ Started a game with Leverkusen, the season after they mad the CL Final irl. Was sacked around Feb/March in the relegation zone.

3/ Spurs on FM10 on an online game with a buddy. His West Ham team beat me to put me in the bottom 3 and I was sacked straight after. I believe it was December first season.

I got sacked managing my favorite team in my 4th season.

Everything was looking so good untill my 2 strikers and my 3 best defenders got long time injuries and my youngster weren't ready to step up yet.

Morale was going down so fast when we lost and drew a few games and we never recovered from it.

I felt it comming but still I was so gutted when it happened.

More so because I sold 3 good backup players during the winter period that might have saved me.

I decided to keep playing and 2 months later I was already offered a new job.

I've been trying to get sacked by arguing with the board like u use to but u can't anymore anyone know how to 

Not yet on FM19 - plenty of times on other versions.

Mot common is when I fall out with the board because I 'show interest' in another job.

Just in February so far, almost 9000 user managers have been sacked. So yes, people get sacked all the time :D 

I haven't been sacked in FM19, but I got sacked quite a bit in previous versions.

It's looking like I could get the sack in my current save. Jumped ship from my middle of the road Championship Blackburn side in November of the third season, for Villa who were in a scrap down the bottom of the league having just been relegated from the Prem. After a prolonged dodgy period with 4 back to back losses I've stabalised us and we're 7 unbeaten, problem is I promised to finish top half (I was desperate to get the job) which means making up about 14 points in a few months. Will they be lenient if I don't quite meet the target because I've only been in the job less than a year? 

On FM18 it was the first time I think I can ever remember being sacked in a 'proper' FM save I've played. Was Nantes manager and after a really good first season went to pieces a bit second.

Ended up taking over Saint Etienne and having considerably more success, getting them into the Champions League. Think I won nearly every game against Nantes from that point on. :D 

Eventually the Nantes job came back up, I applied and got it. Turned it down :brock: 

On a journeyman save, i always want to have a couple of sackings on the CV for realism, as others have said after a couple of seasons at a club, its really hard to be sacked for performances, so ill try to kick off with the board by making board request demands , leaking to the press , applying for loads of jobs and declaring interest in loads of jobs too  and eventually they demand a meeting, i turn it down or tell them the fans will revolt if they sack me and they fire me off. Then subsequently slag the club of in the press after.

I got sacked on the 31st December in season one as port vale manager. Most annoyingly it was just as I climbed out of the relegation zone.

I get sacked quite a lot, i overachieve,build up unrealistic expectations, then i get a bad run and its over.

Edited by GerdMuller

I've been sacked 3 times in 5 seasons.  Once I lose the dressing room (which I find VERY easy to do) it's just a matter of time.

22 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Just in February so far, almost 9000 user managers have been sacked. So yes, people get sacked all the time :D 

Since the original post? Nice little 8 year bump :D

I started my journeyman save recently, took my first job (in the USA), and got sacked at the end of the season after around 15 matches. Admittedly we stunk, and I missed the expectations wildly. That is partly the boards fault for giving me expectations I would have needed to win every game to achieve, pretty much. It is the first time, and will not be the last time, that I get sacked in this save. Sometimes, you just do not have the players you need (I'm a good managers, always blame the players for my own shortcomings! Guess who is my biggest influence :D:D)

I often give up before being sacked, but in all honesty I've not struggled with an FM save for many many years. I just know the game well now and success is pretty easy to come by.

Get sacked every time I manage St. Pauli, which is every version since FM08ish!

Wow, someone's resurrected an old thread!

Pretty easy to get sacked in top level international management: one early exit and you're gone, even if the game was tight, the opposition were good and you were insanely dominant in qualifying....

On 08/02/2019 at 19:41, Robioto said:

I often give up before being sacked, but in all honesty I've not struggled with an FM save for many many years. I just know the game well now and success is pretty easy to come by.

It's easy if you play it the orthodox way if you're experienced, but that's why I set myself restrictive challenges. I'm bottom of my league about to be sacked for my third campaign in the last month, so I think I've hit the sweet spot alright.

1. Give yourself minimal managerial experience so that your players don't respect you and complain incessantly.

2. Use only players with <5 Determination - they don't bother in training and if you go 0-1 behind, it'll be 0-4 within 20 minutes. morale is constantly rock-bottom with no way out.

3. Don't bring in any players - use the dross you're given. In my current save I have no viable defenders or strikers but tons of midfielders. I've got CMs on the flanks being inverted and all - it's not really working so I'm still looking for creative ways to fit square pegs into round holes while barely hanging onto the job.

4. Be this guy  Sabotaging every team I go to

:brock:

BTW: A Football Management game without sacking ever may be quite fun -- as far as I'm concerned you may as well start your screensaver instead (e.g. "Play pretend I'm bloody brilliant when it's rather there's no possible fail state anymore"). It's also damn cheaper. But then "fun" lies in the eye of the beholder. :DMassively, massively spoiler as to FM: the AI is sacked every time at some point, like actual managers tend to do also (unless they're called Fergie etc) . :P 

Edited by Svenc

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2011 at 17:26, wazza said:

As stated in my opening post, I have never experienced getting sacked on any version of the game.

I am finding that I am feeling that I actually want to get sacked to experience it in the game on my journeyman career. I think once I have I will celebrate it like a promotion!!! lol

Try starting off at tops club with the lowest level of badges & then you will see a differing challenge. Tough to gain players respect. Tend to find, people who say what you have just start off on highest qualifications going so it is relatively easy to gain respect & become dominant very quickly.

Like I say try managing Real Madrid on Sunday level reputation.

I'm 6 seasons in and still yet to get above the Conference National. For some reason I just cannot succeed this year, but i'll keep going until I find the right club. Been in the conference north playoffs twice with Chester, but left as I thought I would be able to get a League 2 job. It never worked out, and short stints with Stevenage and Valencia B gave my rep a knock. 

Most recently I took over Dulwich in the bottom half of the national league. Took them to the playoffs that same season, but then got sacked in December the next year (far too early in my opinion as I could've turned it around). Now back down in the North division with Macclesfield hoping to earn my first promotion and salvage something from the save. 

I had always planned for the save to be a bit of a journeyman save, but didn't expect it to be a journey of non-league clubs :(

Feel free to take the p*ss!

Are you choosing “automatic” for your manager’s experience  level? If so then that could be the cause. I prefer to start with Sunday’s league level and work up from there, have been sacked many times in the past although have managed three seasons with Nosaby IF in the Swedish lower leagues so far! I’ll let you know how it pans out!