Malaga tactics Help

The key is adapting your tactical set-up to the requirements of the game - a good tactical set-up will be capable of maximising your strengths whilst minimising those of the opposition, and it'll be able to do all that in many different situations.

Have you got a plan to deal with stronger teams away from home?

What about an attacking plan to smash the weaker teams in the league?

How would you nullify a quick, counter-attacking team?

What about a team that plays possession football and likes to dominate possession in the middle of the park?

Don't just approach these questions from a defensive standpoint either, consider where you goal threat comes from. If Huntelaar normally scores with his head he's going to be less effective against tall, strong CB's so work out how you get behind/in between those CB's.

I don't know all the players you've got or how they have progressed in your save but it looks like a really strong squad but one tactic won't help you succeed in every situation.

Yep, absolutely. The tactic drop-down in the top right will let you save the tactic (the same as saving a file in windows). At the bottom of the drop-down should be the tactics you've already saved. If you then go to match prep you can see that you can set-up 3 different tactics. These don't have to be three different formations, they might be a defensive, attacking & counter-attacking version of a certain formation. I use the shouts at the start of a game to change how attacking/defensive my team is and use the 3 match prep slots to train 3 different formations (i use a 451/433, a 4231 and the old trusty 442).

Some general considerations:

Dropping deep and defending narrow can often nullify a strong team. This often works well with a counter-attack strategy. (Use the shouts to select 'Counter').

Pushing higher up/playing wider/ looking for overlap can often overwhelm a weak team who has 'parked the bus'. Also may want to use 'work ball into box'.

Exploiting the flanks can help on a muddy or icy pitch.

Playing narrow (retain possession) and pass to feet can help keep the ball (selecting a 'control' strategy often helps).

Get ball forward and going attacking can help nick a goal when you're really chasing a game.

Bear in mind though that these are VERY general considerations and certainly won't work for every team. You'll have to work out what works with your team. For example, I've got a very physical and quick team who aren't top class technicians so I still play deep against weak teams - I tried strangling them by pushing higher and maintaining possession but couldn't really score so I had to adapt the general consideration to the strengths of my team.

also how important is the match prep to use as i just set my assistant to deal with it

Match prep deals with 2 issues, firstly, it sets 3 tactics that your team will train. If you click on each tactic (along the top) you'll see some bars (normally blue bars, I think there are 8 of them) which show how 'fluid' your team is with your tactics. If your team is fluid with a tactical set-up they'll play much better and work better as a team both offensively and defensively. Generally during pre-season I'll load up 1 tactic into the match prep and let the guys get fluid in it, then add my 2nd tactic and then add my 3rd - as I've used the same 3 tactics for a couple of seasons I just leave them loaded up. It's a module in the game that doesn't work perfectly but the best way to think of it is that the team will gain familiarity with a particular set-up so try not to overload them. They will also gain familiarity with the shouts you use most often although this isn't shown in the game. It normally takes half a season for my guys to gain proper fluidity in all of the different tactical setups I want to use.

The second part of match prep concerns a specific team training area (I forgot what it is called in-game). These are none, team blend, attack & defence and set-piece attack & defend. It allegedly gives a little boost to the area you select but no-one seems sure when you should set it. I use team blend for the pre-season and change focus every few weeks depending upon what I have been good/bad at and occasionally basing it on the opposition I'm facing. There is also a slider which shows how much training time is devoted to match prep - I normally have this set at low or very low as I'd like my players to be training hard in their nice (nearly) individual training schedules I've spent ages developing so this might be why match prep doesn't affect my team much.

Match prep is a nice little addition to the FM series but it doesn't work quite right yet (at least the visual portion of the module doesn't) so don't worry if you don't want to bother too much with it but I'd definitely advise loading up the tactics into match prep. Once you've loaded your preferred tactic in you can probably forget about it to be honest.

Archived