Sports Interactive Community
The Rafalution

Liverpool Thread 2011/12

don't know what to think of avb. really like his swagger in interviews and stuff but lets face it he crumbled under pressure at chelsea and was a bit naive in how he thought he could get them playing straightaway.

think it'll be a huge risk to go with him after not really proving himself in this league.

would be excited at seeing what he could do long term though as i would with martinez, totally undecided on who i want tbh. think out of who's out there and obtainable my preference atm is benitez, martinez, avb, lambert in that order.

If he couldn't manage to break player cliques or not step on longer term player toes, good luck handling the likes of Gerrard and Carragher

Still think Martinez needs a stepping stone like Villa before coming here.

The problem was, after going so close we should have then re-invested to take us to the next level, but it was the point at which we starting losing players and replacing them with guff as the money ran out.

Didn't we spend like 17million each on Johnson and Aqua the year after though? Or was that only cause Alonso was forced out by Rafa

At least if it is AVB he has already worked with Clarke so theres every chance he might stay on.

Didn't we spend like 17million each on Johnson and Aqua the year after though? Or was that only cause Alonso was forced out by Rafa

The Johnson signing was more like £7m paid, as we wrote off the rest of what Pompey owed us for Crouch. Aqua was just the rest of the Alonso cash.

I hope whoever comes in sees Aquilani's qualities (if he wants to stay that is). Our midfield is crying out for him.

Replacing Arbeloa and Alonso with a fullback who wasn't very good at defending and a midfielder who was injured for 90% of the season wasn't really improving the squad :(

Clarke's already gone hasn't he?

No. Confirmed by Ian Ayre that Clarke is still at the club.

Replacing Arbeloa and Alonso with a fullback who wasn't very good at defending and a midfielder who was injured for 90% of the season wasn't really improving the squad :(

Your mathematical ability needs some serious work.

Your mathematical ability needs some serious work.

Even when he was fit he wasn't properly fit because of how long he had been out for, it was clear that he wasn't up to speed when he did play.

At least if it is AVB he has already worked with Clarke so theres every chance he might stay on.

Has he? :confused:.

Edit: I forgot, AVB went with Mourinho to Chelsea :rolleyes:.

rumour was rafa wanted aqua and jovetic (£12m) with the alonso money and he got told he could only have 1 or the other not both. jovetic wil be twice that now :thdn:

on the suarez thing, like i said, fsg are apparently livid with him and want him out the club, blaming him just as much as the staff for this season.

anyway just heard heard we've approached ken dodd. means we wont have to change the initials on his coat and people wont laugh at us as much. :D

Even when he was fit he wasn't properly fit because of how long he had been out for, it was clear that he wasn't up to speed when he did play.

And yet he still managed more assists in the second half of the season than any other player in the league. Not bad if he only played 10% of it?

on the suarez thing, like i said, fsg are apparently livid with him and want him out the club, blaming him just as much as the staff for this season.

Sounds like a ******** twitter rumour.

And yet he still managed more assists in the second half of the season than any other player in the league. Not bad if he only played 10% of it?

He got 6 assists all season, and 3 were in one match against Burnley at the end of the season, when he was, you know, in that 10% where he was fit.

Sounds like a ******** twitter rumour.

it is a rumour yeah, but its come from nowhere near twitter.

getting more and more put off by avb now, hes just not inspiring me and i should be feeling better than i do now about our chances if he came. i think i'd rather have martinez now tbh out the 2.

Providing we're talking about his first season with us (09/10) then you've clearly lost the plot.

Haha, a nice quick delete of post there Div ;)

Yea, i selected the wrong season, apologies. Fairly certain he had more than six assists though - I remember it being far closer to double figures. Assume you're getting stats from soccernet, which is notoriously poor at tracking them.

still remember being pissed off with rafa for the ridiculousness of his handling of aqua when he came back from his injury. he was crying out for game time and kept getting brought on for something stupid like 4mins at the end of games, just pointless. remember games where we were playing like ****, creating nothing and he'd be sat on the bench looking baffled.

Yea, i selected the wrong season, apologies. Fairly certain he had more than six assists though - I remember it being far closer to double figures. Assume you're getting stats from soccernet, which is notoriously poor at tracking them.

Wiki, soccernet, transfermarkt all seem to add up to 6. And that's across all competitions as well. He may have had some significant contributions that don't count as direct assists, but I think being overly challenging against me on this is a bit unnecessary.

All the point I was making originally was that he was hardly an improvement over Alonso.

Was he ever meant to be an improvement, or merely a replacement? Its a bit hard to improve on world class. Alonso wanted to leave in the end after Rafa had ****ed him about the previous summer.

2 goals and 6 assists in 14 starts and 14 sub appearances isn't bad at all for a guy playing his first season in this league and coming back from a long term injury. If Rafa would have stayed, Aqua would have been awesome in his second season with us. Instead he was turfed out by Woy within days of his arrival.

Well I don't think anyone was going to be an improvement over Alonso, but then I don't think anyone said that at the time.

It was in response to someone further up in this thread on about us spending millions on Johnson and Aquilani after the money so say "dried up".

It did dry up. The only money we had available was what we got for selling Xabi.

are we holding interview? if so whos doing them, weve got no one left at the club.

i hope this doesnt drag on for weeks but i'd also want fsg to take stock and realise theres more than 1 or 2 candidates for the job and hold proper interviews.

haha i can just see carra sitting in the managers office right now with his feet up thinking he's billy big bollocks. :D

Like Jay Spearing?? Don't be soft, you only need to look as recently as Del Piero to realise that's a load of rubbish.

Like Jay Spearing?? Don't be soft, you only need to look as recently as Del Piero to realise that's a load of rubbish.

Random ?

Sorry I was at the bottom of page 120, thought it was the last post, ssn spouting some rubbish about there being no legends anymore and our only hope is local lads.

I would go for any these for are next manager

Jurgen Klopp,

Marcelo Bielsa,

AVB,

Louis Van Gaal,

Frank De Boer,

Laurent Blanc,

Frank Rijkaard,

Louis Van Gaal

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see us get rid of Suarez.

I would be surprised. You don't bring in this calibre of player and then ship out in a season and also replace him. I am not sure in your current situation you could aim too much higher than Suarez atm either. I think someone would have to actively be coming for Suarez for you to even consider this for a second rather than a 'listening to offers' situation

I've got a feeling we could sway Klopp into joining us. I doubt he'll get the financial backing to turn Dortmund into a European heavyweight and so may be thinking he's achieved all that he can there.

A good financial offer with the additional promise of transfer funds may be too good to resist.

Wishful thinking maybe but I have a good gut feeling about him: definitely not happening then :D

I'm in the minority of not wanting idiot players regardless of how talented they are. If I was a city fan I'd want rid of Balotelli and Tevez and wouldn't have wanted them to play at all after their antics, even if it helped win the title. And Suarez has just done too much damage for me and will continually make our club look bad until he's gone.

Why is there such a common belief amongst the media and such that Carragher is some kind of tactical savant? Is he not the one who constantly ruins offside traps by being 10 yards deeper than everyone else?

Why is there such a common belief amongst the media and such that Carragher is some kind of tactical savant? Is he not the one who constantly ruins offside traps by being 10 yards deeper than everyone else?

LOL I was wondering that myself

It's because he's too slow to keep up with the rest of the back line. I assume his brain is quicker than his legs, meaning he is potentially a good manager.

I always thought Carra seemed a bit daft until he was on Soccer Saturday where he actually sounded on the ball. If only he had a different accent he wouldn't sound so thick.

If Carra was boss, we'd need to re-hire Kenny as his translator.

Plus the hoofing, don't forget Carra's cultured right foot and his significant contribution to literally none of our attacking play - there's a football brain at work! Seriously couldn't believe we were shifting Agger out to left back to accommodate Carra towards the end of the season, it was Hodgson-esque.

And people were slagging Raul as past it back in 09.... heh