Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Carroll has won more aerials than any other player in top 5 Europe Leagues - and more than Norwich´s back four (131). Beast."

(He has 141)

I posted this on the last page :mad: Although mine said he'd won 147 not 141.

I'm hoping Suso gets some time for us tomorrow, not sure if he's in the travelling squad though.

Maxi is going back to Newells Old boys; unless China or Arabia come in

Kuyt is going to somewhere back in Holland. I think it's Feyenoord.

Spearing is off to Wigan last info I had

Aurelio can go smoke peen for all I care. Overrated and just an extra wage as far as I'm concerned.

Spearing to Wigan is likely to be a load of rubbish to be honest not sure who made that up.

Also Aurelio was on pay as you play, was class when fit just couldn't get a full season out of him unfortunately. Proper sound fella as well.

Sorry for the double post but one thing I hope the owners sort out is youth recruitment. I know a lad, he's only 8 but he's a really good player. Anyway been getting scouted by Wigan, Everton, Tranmere and Liverpool. The family are all big reds so obviously we were his first choice.

Everton and Wigan both phoned his dad basically saying they had the paperwork ready and they wanted to sign him. Liverpool caught wind of this and asked him as well so they wouldn't miss out. They waited two weeks to get the contract signed then all contact with the club stopped. His dad eventually got hold of someone and was given terrible excuses for the delay. Basically they were looking for a left back from his trial game and because he played left mid they didn't take him on. Couldn't believe it when I heard it. Worst thing is he's now at Tranmere and played left wing for Liverpool schoolboys against the academy and scored twice and set 2 up. The schoolboys beat the academy 4-1. You have to wonder who is in charge and whether other top european academies would let these kids fall off the radar.

Not saying the lad will make it obviously it is far too soon to say but surely anyone who is obviously talented enough should just be signed up. They could even have a few teams per age group if needs be.

Ballague tweeting that the owners have decided to keep Kenny for next season. Not sure how he knows this, but if true then I am going to weep. We have got literally zero chance of ever being competitive in the league with that man in charge - get ready for more mid-table battles with Stoke, Fulham, Sunderland and Swansea next season!

Charlie has had his good days and his bad days in a Liverpool shirt....more bad, but I think if we can keep him held back as a DLP he could be alright. Its just a case of not allowing him to go off where ever he wants on the pitch.

Adam is never going to be a deep lying playmaker, the position he was playing when we bought him was behind the Blackpool forwards. Watching him play in that postition for Blackpool makes me wonder why we didint at least try him there.

30-40 yrds from goal, i think that is his best position, when he is playing deeper, he starts getting delusions of grandeur and tries hitting 50 yard passes in a deeper role. They rarely come off.

Rangers must have been trying to play him in the deeper role, cant see any other reason why he wouldnt have walked into their side.

He was absolutely ***** for Rangers wherever he played. Nobody up here could believe that he managed to perform even reasonably well in the Championship. I remember being absolutely agog when I saw him score for Blackpool in the Championship play-off final.

The club actually only officially recognises HFSG from what I can tell. I have no idea why there are actually 3 Hillsborough campaign groups. Can anyone shed some light?

stolen from rawk, explains quite well why there are different groups

The Three Hillsborough Groups

The three groups that represent bereaved families are The Hillsborough Family Support Group (HFSG), The Hillsborough Justice Campaign (HJC) and Hope for Hillsborough (HFH – For Justice).

Hillsborough Family Support Group

The original support group that was set up in the aftermath of the disaster was the HFSG, founded in May 1989.

Some of the bereaved families met whilst travelling to and from the Taylor Inquiry and decided to contact each of the victims’ next of kin to form a group to help and support each other throughout the aftermath. The group continues to organise the memorial service at Anfield each April 15th and has its own section (and email address) on the official Liverpool FC website: liverpoolfc.tv/history/hillsborough/hfsg. It is currently the only Hillsborough group to receive this recognition from the club.

Hillsborough Justice Campaign

As time and struggles went on and the years passed by following the disaster there was recognition within the HFSG that the survivors of the disaster should also be included in the support group. The survivors were suffering from PTSD and living through hell, they were in need of support certainly as much as the bereaved were, and could also help families with their understanding of what actually happened. Not all the group agreed with this, however, and often survivors would be coldly shunned. The result was that in 1998, nine years after the disaster, some of the bereaved families chose to split from the HFSG and join up with ‘Survivors and Supporters of Justice For All’. A new group was formed which would include survivors as well as bereaved families.

This group was the HJC and it was set up in 1998. The split from the original group was acrimonious and despite it rapidly gaining universal acceptance and recognition by supporters (of the club and the cause) the football club itself is still, regrettably, reluctant to treat it as an equal to the original HFSG.

As well as the inclusion of the survivors the HJC also wanted a more pro-active campaign than had been in place previously, as did the local communities, and soon after forming they acquired premises in Anfield. The HJC shop, across the road from The Kop on Walton Breck Road, has become a familiar landmark to supporters as well as a focal point for those involved in the fight for justice.

The shop sells items that allow people to support the campaign by both spreading the word and providing funding to keep going with initiatives that range from ideas like Don’t Buy The Sun stickers which add more awareness to that aspect of the overall campaign to funding the legal battles that have had to be fought down the years. The shop also serves as office/meeting space as well as an advice centre.

See @HJC_Official (on Twitter) or facebook.com/HJCOfficial (on Facebook) for more about the HJC and how to order some of their products online. The HJC’s website can be found at contrast.org/hillsborough/index.shtml.

Hope For Hillsborough

Anne Williams lost her son Kevin in the disaster and in 2006 she set up Hope For Hillsborough. Kevin is known to have still been breathing long after the cut-off time imposed by the coroner, a cut-off time that prevented any scrutiny of issues like preventing all but one ambulance from getting onto the pitch with equipment and expertise that could have saved the lives of Kevin and other victims. Hope For Hillsborough’s website is hopeforhillsborough.org and Anne can be found on Facebook at facebook.com/ourkevin.

Aren't we a lower premier league side desperately in need of some creativity?

Here are some nice stats from the BBC:

• Liverpool's 4-1 win over Chelsea means they have scored four or more goals in a league game in every season since returning to the top-flight in 1962.
  • They have become the first team since the 1998-99 season to miss five penalties in one season.
  • Stewart Downing is the first player to miss three penalties in a row in the league since Juan Pablo Angel in February 2005.
  • Opta stats state that Manchester United have had 51 shots fewer than Liverpool in the league this season, but have remarkably scored 41 more goals than the Reds.

What does everyone think to the Martinez rumours?

Personally I like him but don't think he is anywhere near ready enough to become our manager. I'd like to see him at somewhere like Villa challenging in the cups and pushing for europe in the league before giving him a shot. I think it is just too much too soon for him.

Personally I like him but don't think he is anywhere near ready enough to become our manager. I'd like to see him at somewhere like Villa challenging in the cups and pushing for europe in the league before giving him a shot. I think it is just too much too soon for him.

Agree but you just described a situation that is identical to the one we are facing.

Top 4 is an unrealistic target for at least the next 2 years. We have to accept that, we need more time (and money) to rebuild yet again.

He was loved at Swansea until he left for Wigan, not a good example but much of the good football that Swansea play was first introduced by Martinez.

There are far worse options. Big decisions to be made.

Villa a diabolical. He would be performing miracles getting them challenging for Europe with the squad they have.

Villa a diabolical. He would be performing miracles getting them challenging for Europe with the squad they have.

But isn't that the point? If he is good enough to manage us then he needs to be able to build something at a big club like Villa first. If he could turn them around then a few years down the line he might be ready.

I've already said I'd be happy with 6th next season. Keep playing good football, introducing the youth and take it from there. If we do that under Kenny for a few years whilst Martinez builds something at Villa then I'd be more than happy to see him manage us.

Doni, Kelly, Carragher, Agger, Johnson, Henderson, Shelvey, Maxi, Downing, Carroll, Suarez

Subs: Jones, Enrique, Coates, Kuyt, Spearing, Sterling, Belllamy

Well no club will, wherever he goes he's taking a wage drop and he's probably more likely to take one to join a club he has history with and likes.

Carroll's lucky he's still on the pitch. Stupid reaction to that foul from Williams.

Would be interested to know how many of these 147 aeriel battles that he's won have gone straight up in the air or immediately out of play btw. The very best example of a 50p head I've seen.

Carroll's lucky he's still on the pitch. Stupid reaction to that foul from Williams.

Can't say I blame him for having a go as the other guy was just kicking him. I think he did well not to turn around and punch him, rightly or wrongly.

turned off to watch the man city game during the second half couldnt see us scoring, as usual. if we dont get a quality finisher in in the summer, next season will be more of the same. actually i dont know what would be the better signing, a new forward or a new manager.

Archived