Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the fact that Charlie Adam used to put in great corners for Blackpool and now hits the first man every time Kenny's fault, Commoli's fault or Charlie's fault?

Tbf to Adam they don't all hit the first man, the rest go over everybody completely.

when one person is underperfoming it's probably the player. when half the team is you have to look at management

Exactly. I don't think the new signing have been great but dalglish doesn't help for example downing puts a cross into the box it might look a poor cross when reality is he only had 1 team mate to aim at against 4 defenders.

Players sit so deep, strikers are isolated have to drop deep to collect the ball. Carroll might not be worth £35 million etc but he hasn't been given a run of games, he starts to do well then gets dropped to the bench.

Shelvey deserves a run of games but first and foremost Dalglish has to allow more players to stand further up the pitch push more players into the box give the players more freedom otherwise it doesn't matter who we buy because we don't have enough players in the box, supporting the attacks no central midfielder running from deep.

Liverpool play one of the most boring football in the premiership. Slow tempo, too narrow, no pace, lack of players willing to run at the opposition and too many men back.

I'd definitely give Shelvey some time. He seems like an absolute **** that lad, and that's exactly what I want. That Liverpool midfield now is so f*cking limp dicked. Need a bit of swagger in there. Nice to see Sterling make the break through too. Would have him on the bench for the rest of the season and keep putting him on for 20 mins here and there.

Appalling yesterday. I think it's one of the worst performances i've ever seen from us. Serious questions obviously inevitable. For all the positives (and I think there have been some since he took over) he really doesn't seem like the right man to take us up a notch. Hopefully he wins the FA Cup so his second tenure here is looked back on fondly, but that's as far as it goes. He really shouldn't be manager next season, and if he is it'll make me wonder whether FSG are genuinely serious about making us competitive. Afterall we're still nowhere with regards to a new stadium are we?

I don't really care where we finish now. Focus solely on the FA Cup and use the remaining league games to give some kids a go. Might even start playing a bit more freely now there's nothing left to play for.

And if the worst comes to the worst and we end up about 11th, makes FSG's decision a lot easier.

Just stunned that we are out of the race for 6th now and have become embroiled in a battle royal for the coveted 7th spot with about 5 clubs. Worst of it all, we are the horse in the race that is well out of form and have to go to Newcastle next - our last 8 games could literally be anything.

I just can't see FSG being anything like statisfied with this season despite winning the Carling Cup, especially given their outlay in the summer.

There is no point in sacking Kenny now or ever to be honest. I can see him stepping down at the end of the season but there is no way he will be sacked.
Celtic sacked him and he was a legend up here. He definitely needs to go.

Exactly, dignity, honour and no crap taken from idiotic reporters who hound him for a reaction to something, seconds after telling him about it.

Thats a joke, unless hes totally blind and equally oblivious then he knew damn well what happened. Bottom line is he doesn't care, hes a miserable old sod who refuses to admit his own and his teams failings. What Suarez did was appalling. Bad enough he was found guilty of racist abuse in the first place but to shun the handshake like that is disgraceful and a total kick in the nuts to one of the most famous clubs in the world. Kenny is fast turning you into a very dislike-able club.

Thats a joke, unless hes totally blind and equally oblivious then he knew damn well what happened. Bottom line is he doesn't care, hes a miserable old sod who refuses to admit his own and his teams failings. What Suarez did was appalling. Bad enough he was found guilty of racist abuse in the first place but to shun the handshake like that is disgraceful and a total kick in the nuts to one of the most famous clubs in the world. Kenny is fast turning you into a very dislike-able club.

So basically he does what every other manager does then. Ferguson never criticizes his team, and wenger seems to miss any sort of incident involving his team doing wrong. As for Suarez he's fantastic, I love the whole cartoon villain image he has these days, it's so absurd it makes me laugh.

So basically he does what every other manager does then. Ferguson never criticizes his team, and wenger seems to miss any sort of incident involving his team doing wrong. As for Suarez he's fantastic, I love the whole cartoon villain image he has these days, it's so absurd it makes me laugh.
Ferguson's criticised his team before. Not dragged anybody over the coals but every so often he'll admit to failings or say the defence was slack or he can't defend that tackle, etc.

That's not really the same though, is it? What about when Rio Ferdinand was caught using drugs to cheat? Ferguson supported him in court, IIRC.

he missed a drugs test. there was no suggestion that he was using drugs.

in any event kenny criticised the team a month or two back so it's not like he doesn't do it. like any other manager he is probably loathe to do it often in public.

that said, the issue for me has little to do with his press conference as opposed to the team performances. that's what counts at the end of the day.

yeah the rio thing never really looked like he did anything purposefully wrong, and there was no lying or dishonesty as far as i can remember, and the football community was pretty much united (no pun intended) in saying the ban was ridiculous. same can't be said for Suarez

Celtic sacked him and he was a legend up here. He definitely needs to go.

Doesnt say he will be sacked here though.

I think he will go, but it will be put across as though he resigned. Its not as though he was brought in to steady the ship and he has effectively done that. He wasnt a long term project at all, so get to the end of the season, let him resign and then bring someone else in.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9166045/Liverpools-latest-disappointment-at-home-to-Wigan-highlights-Anfields-blindness-to-modern-failings.html

Telegraph has a piece about 'faded power' and all that. In light of posts on that Liverpool site that banned Rafa also goes on about not being aware of it

This hits the nail on the head really. I am all for slow and steady progress but we nade collectively wake up and realise that if we don't stop wallowing in our past and don't embrace the bulding of a new stadium as soon as possible then we are in danger of becoming Spurs of the last 4 decades (an occasional cup winning also-ran).

Whilst I have admiration for what Rafa did at the club, his tenure was chequered and a mix of unbelievable high points and frustrating periods of play that were simply below par for the resources we had at the time (similar to the current era, but several places lower in the table I guess).

I've said this for several years and I will say it again. Until we shake of the belief that we the Mighty Liverpool and realise that results come from hard graft and self-belief we will never life the league title. The KD is a throwback to the Liverpool Way in some ways in that he constantly harps on about it. It's outdated, a philosophy from another time when football was a much different game, when players werent paid a kings ransom and when the stakes were not nearly as high. Playing for the club is not all the motivation a Liverpool player needs now. There several equally or more illustrious clubs in the Premier League now and we can't expect or past to inspire the current or future players (even our most recent Champions League win is 7 years distant).

The failure by the board not to progress the stadium rebuild is nothing short of criminal either. There are 2 designs in place and 2 potential sites (stay put or go to Stanley Park). We could start construction on the latter at any point really, the club's commercial viability should ensure we can finance it. Perhaps if we didnt waste £35m on Andy Carroll, there may be a bigger appetite to commit to a build. As it stands, with a potential wait of 2 years for building to commence and 3 year build time, we are looking at 2017 at the earliest (probably 2020). Nearly 2 decades to build a stadium, is simply a gross mishandling of the club and it's future.

If FSG are serious about bringing this club back to greatness, they need to display a ruthless streak, when required. I am not talking about the Abramovich style of sacking managers on a whim, but commercial and on the pitch we are floundering and this needs addressed, before they let their investment turn into a £200m white elephant.

Bit of a ramble that.... probably a load of crap :D

Treading water is what we are doing. When you compare our form with that of West Brom since Hodgson took over, we are hardly ahead of them in terms of league points gained.

KD may have steadied the ship, but that I am finding hard to see much in the way of progress now

Some great points here, I find myself praying to Fowler for patience but it won't take much more of this to break the camels back.

Legend or not if it carries on like this he will simply have to go.

The thought that he will be given more money to spend in the summer fills me with dread. :-(

Can't be bothered reading through the thread as I can imagine what it is going to be like. I agree with the people saying this isn't acceptable from Dalglish, he shouldn't be given too much special treatment just because of who he is. However, we are still in a semi in a couple of weeks and could come out with 2 trophies at the end of the season. People need to accept he isn't going anywhere before the end of the season, the league is now unimportant and get behind the team for the FA cup. If we get to the final of that then in my opinion Dalglish deserves to have 1 more season.

I think Kenny's biggest failings are his obvious tactical flaws, his persistence with Carra, still believing Stevie can play in a midfield 2 (I accept that I thought that it looked better next to Spearing rather than Adam but yesterday they just walked through us) and playing Suarez up front on his own.

Having said that the players really need to take a long look at themselves. Reina for me has been awful this season, Enrique has gone off the boil thelast couple of months, Carra should accept his legs have gone, Gerrard put no effort in yesterday, Suarez tries the difficult thing far too often I could go on.

Flanno stepped up yesterday, spearing was his usual self and Skrtel never looks the same player next to Carra. If players were tired ie Gerrard then don't play, our squad should cope with Wigan.

I personally think it is time to accept the summer was a let down with our signings, cash in on them all, take the massive loss and move on. Not one of Downing, Henderson, Adam or Carroll will benefit us by being here next season.

This was posted on another site by a Liverpool fan back at the start of the season. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but did anyone in here feel the same way?

There’s been a lot of talk since the start of the season about how much of a genius Alex Ferguson is and how he’s putting together a team to rival Barcelona this season. Then, they go an maul Arsenal on Sunday. There’s no doubt in my mind that the entire media and press are going to be utterly, completely and totally insufferable in their praise for them come the next few days. Personally, I think that’s utter nonsense; as far as I’m concerned, he is in no better a position than he was last year. All he’s done is add a winger to the two he’s already got, a keeper that will take at least a full season to completely bloom and another young centre back that won’t play every week.

They had a good result against Tottenham last weekend as well, winning 3-nil. Only, so did City Sunday just gone, putting 5 past Spurs at their own ground. That – coupled with currently being rock bottom – would kind of suggest that they’re actually there for the taking at the moment. And United’s win against Arsenal on Sunday was as much to do with Arsene Wenger’s growing insanity as anything. Anybody who saw the game could see that Ferguson appeared to be trying to stop his team from scoring toward the end and even Gary Neville took little pleasure in the nature of the scoreline. This wasn’t a masterclass by United, this was the brutal murdering of a club already hamstrung by years of mismanagement; our own new first-team made a much stronger Arsenal look poor last weekend and were they to have played us at Anfield, we’d have probably knocked a few more past them as well.

Some might argue that United have just added to the depth of their squad but I would argue that if anything, we’ve had the far more successful summer and will also benefit more in the long-term. Ferguson has added Ashley Young and Phil Jones when, in reality, he didn’t really need them. What he needed was a couple of quality, central mid-fielders and a good holding player. The only one of their signings they actually needed was De Gea and he’s looked far from a potentially great player up to now. On the other hand, we’ve brought in Doni, arguably good enough to be a first choice at most Premier League clubs; Charlie Adam – a player United could probably have done with themselves; Stewart Downing, Jose Enrique and Jordan Henderson. Coupled with Suarez and Carroll in January (who are still seemingly new signings, as we’ve barely seen them together yet) and are looking to bring in one of the most promising young players to come out of Uruguay since Suarez himself, and for less than half the price of Phil Jones, he could turn out to be twice the player.

To back up my belief, I’m going to have a quick look over each side’s starting 11′s and the likely benches that both sides would choose if at full-strength.

GK – Reina v De Gea: I think I’ll have about 99% of fans of any club on my side in this argument, but Reina is hands-down the better keeper and De Gea is unlikely to ever reach his level (but will no doubt become first-choice for Spain, given the ‘special’ club he’s playing at). So this one is easy:

Reina – 10 v De Gea – 7

RB – Kelly v Rafael: This is a slightly tougher one, as we’ve seen so little of either player, with Kelly having played 17 games for the Reds and Rafael around 40. On first impressions of both players though, they’re both incredibly promising. Kelly is a very tall and surprisingly quick full back with a growing penchant for getting forward, as he demonstrated last week against Arsenal, and Rafael likewise. The only downside to Rafael’s game is that he’s always walking a bit of a disciplinary tightrope, having already received 2 red cards in less than a half-century of games. As both show a lot of potential:

Kelly – 7 v Rafael – 7

CB – Agger & Carragher v Ferdinand & Vidic: This is a difficult one for both sides as it’s highly likely that both CB pairings will change regularly over the season due to fatigue, injury, etc as both contain players that are – to put it kindly – ‘getting on’. But these are more-than-likely going to be the first choice pairings. Both Carragher and Ferdinand are coming to the end of distinguished careers and both are still highly thought of. The fact that they both walk in to two of the top sides in Europe, when fit, says a lot about both players. While Agger and Vidic are two of the best CB’s around and are likely to be for some time to come. Both sides regularly top the table when it comes to ‘goals against’ and that is largely down to having such experienced talented men at the back. While Vidic is widely regarded as one of the best in Europe though, it is also a widely held belief that Ferdinand isn’t the same player he once was and hasn’t been for some time:

Agger – 8 & Carragher – 8 v Ferdinand – 7 & Vidic – 9

LB – Enrique v Evra: Both quality full backs and both with plenty of experience in the Premier League. The only thing that goes in Evra’s favour here is that he is much more proven. He’s played at the top level for years and is regarded throughout as one of the best left-backs in Europe, while Jose Enrique is one of the best in the League but only potentially in Europe:

Enrique 8 v Evra – 10

LM – Downing v Young: Both new signings; both from Aston Villa and both very talented. Time will tell who turns out to be the better value signing. At the moment though, it’s fair to say that Young is the slightly better player but Downing could turn out to be the more valuable signing though, as he is more consistent and contribute more to the team. So for the time being, I’m sitting on the fence on this one:

Downing – 8 v Young – 8

DM – Lucas v Carrick: Anderson has played more this season but Carrick is United’s first-choice when it comes to the defensive midfield role. He is supposedly a great passer of the ball and was once thought of as England’s great midfield hope. Back in the real world we all know he’s just an average player who makes 1-in-10 passes look good; he is everything that is wrong with the England tea, in that he is picked repeatedly whilst better players than him are left by the wayside. On the other hand, Lucas has won over pretty much all of his detractors within (and without) the club; he is now happily sitting atop the list of the League’ best holding midfielders and, should Liverpool get back in to the Champions League this season, probably also Europe in the future. This one is easy:

Lucas – 9 v Carrick – 6

CM – Gerrard v Giggs: While Charlie Adam has played every game so far for the Reds, there can be no doubt that Gerrard will be back in the side when fit and it’s likely to be Charlie Adam who loses out. Giggs – let’s be honest here – is a total legend. A cheating scum-bag but a legendary footballer and not even the most hardened Red could deny it. Likewise, Gerrard is one of the greatest midfielders that we’ve ever had. If he wins even one League title with us before he retires, he will rightly be held on the same level as a player like Giggs. But given that Giggs has been a fading force for a couple of seasons and that he’s used sparingly and likely to be used even more so this year, you have to give Gerrard the edge here:

Gerrard – 10 v Giggs – 9

RM – Kuyt v Nani: This is a more difficult position to look at as both have hugely differing styles. Nani is the archetypal winger while Kuyt is a converted forward with lots of energy and a workhorses attitude. One runs the wings the other has a tendency to drift inside or cross from deep. But they’re both equally as effective for their respective clubs:

Kuyt – 8 v Nani – 8

CF – Suarez & Carroll v Hernandez & Rooney: While Berbatov would be most people’s choice over Hernandez, it appears he has been frozen out at OT in recent games so given how highly thought of ‘little pea’ (or whatever his ridiculous name is) is, he completes the pairing with Rooney. Both are very dangerous on paper but both still have some flaws and need bit of work. Individually, though there’s no doubt that these are four of the best forwards in the League. Even as for me, it’s hard to admit but on his day Rooney can devastate teams on without any help from his team-mates. With what we’ve seen of Suarez so far though, the same can be said of him. With Carroll and Hernandez though, they’re both very much rough diamonds and works in progress. The talent is certainly for both of them but they must be honed into complete players by their clubs:

Suarez – 10 & Carroll – 7 v Rooney – 9 & Hernandez – 7

Bench: It’s on the bench where the battle is likely to be won or lost from either team as both teams are stronger than their counterparts in certain positions. Going with the 7-man bench that is standard practise in the Premier League now, this is what I believe is strongest Liverpool’s bench:

Doni – 8, Skrtel – 7, Aurelio – 8, Henderson – 7, Meireles – 9 , Adam – 8, Ngog – 7 v Lindegaard– 7, Fabio – 6, Jones – 8, Anderson – 7, Cleverley – 7, Valencia – 8, Berbatov – 9

Having taken all of these ratings into consideration (and I haven’t been doing it strategically, I’ve just rated players based purely on how good I think they are out of 10) and totalled them up, the final overall ratings of each squad is:

Liverpool – 147 v Manchester United – 139 with each club having an average score of 8.16 and 7.77 per player.

So in my opinion, Liverpool currently have the edge over the League Champions in terms of overall squad and also starting 11′s. At this moment in time though, Liverpool are a much ‘newer’ team, while United have the mentally they’ve built up over the years and know what it means to win. The positive thing for the Reds is that their players are there to overhaul them sooner or later, and should we bring in a couple more quality signings in the next few days, then I can see no reason for why that can’t be sooner.

This was posted on another site by a Liverpool fan back at the start of the season. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but did anyone in here feel the same way?

Some of made sense, but he overrated Gerrard, Suarez, Kuyt, Adam and Carragher and we sold Meireles... I guess he never guessed at 9 match ban for Suarez, which has certainly affected our season. Our form literally nosedived from Christmas onwards and is certainly part of the problem.

Watched the Kings of the Kop programme last night and that has depressed me even further.

The summer signings have been a major, major disappointment and if Kenny does go then surely Comolli's position also has to be looked at (i assume he must be fairly involved in the signings)?

i actually feel a bit sorry for Kenny. I like seeing him on the touchline as it reminds me of being young, he loves the club and he should never have been allowed to leave all those years ago. But its clearly not working at the moment. I think someone else said it but it would be brilliant if he were to win the FA Cup this season and then left. A fitting end perhaps.

I can safely say no, that is one of the most biased things ive ever read... ever.

From an outside perspective, Kenny is clearly not up to the task. There are a few Kenny til I die folk in here, but most of you have a rational ability to look at the situation objectively. Yes he is a club LEGEND, and always will be. But just because he is a hero doesnt mean he can do the job anymore. The game has changed, the player power has changed, the way other teams view liverpool has changed and he just isnt getting results.

You cant sack the man, and there would be no point before the end of the season. But then he should be retired upstairs, have a road named after him and let someone come in and either whip your young lads into shape or ship them out and start again. Although as a Spurs fan id be happy for you to keep him as the top 4 battle is congested enough as it is!

I can safely say no, that is one of the most biased things ive ever read... ever.

From an outside perspective, Kenny is clearly not up to the task. There are a few Kenny til I die folk in here, but most of you have a rational ability to look at the situation objectively. Yes he is a club LEGEND, and always will be. But just because he is a hero doesnt mean he can do the job anymore. The game has changed, the player power has changed, the way other teams view liverpool has changed and he just isnt getting results.

You cant sack the man, and there would be no point before the end of the season. But then he should be retired upstairs, have a road named after him and let someone come in and either whip your young lads into shape or ship them out and start again. Although as a Spurs fan id be happy for you to keep him as the top 4 battle is congested enough as it is!

I am pro Kenny still at the minute, but it isn't because of who he is. I still haven't bought into the whole top 4 is everything. For me the reason I support Liverpool is to watch us win trophies. I've never gone mental over the fact that we have made it to the top 4. But I can honestly say when Anthony Gerrard missed the penalty to give us the Carling Cup I was made up. Maybe it's a more selfish reason. I'd rather be in Wembley in May watching us lift a trophy for the second time this season rather than have neither trophy and 4th.

I agree with what SSC has said, to an outside he just seems totally out of touch with just about everything. The problem with waiting to the end of the season though is if he does win the FA Cup you'll find it harder to get rid.

Just saw someone post on twitter so can you let me know if this is true? KD said that he thought Liverpool have had a better season than United, that true?

I am pro Kenny still at the minute, but it isn't because of who he is. I still haven't bought into the whole top 4 is everything. For me the reason I support Liverpool is to watch us win trophies. I've never gone mental over the fact that we have made it to the top 4. But I can honestly say when Anthony Gerrard missed the penalty to give us the Carling Cup I was made up. Maybe it's a more selfish reason. I'd rather be in Wembley in May watching us lift a trophy for the second time this season rather than have neither trophy and 4th.

Ah you havent bought into it because you were used to getting it, when something is normal you undervalue it. Correct me if im wrong but at the start of this season, most people thought getting back into the top 4 was a minimal first step and would be quite a simple task, which its obviously proved not to be.

As Bell so brutally pointed out above, Spurs have become a cup team since the 60s and thats all ive ever known us as. But at the start of the season id have taken 4th over 5th and the FA Cup. Why? Because the goal posts have moved on. The Fa Cup is great, but with no top 4 in big terms it means nothing, for us it would mean potential departures of Modric, Bale, VdV etc. We would not have the same CL money to invest, the kit sponsors wouldnt pay us as much, nor the ground sponsors. Then we wouldnt have the extra finance to push through our new stadium etc. Sadly the CL drives development of a football club.

Long gone are the days of the 'Big 4' with the rest of us looking in. Its genuinely competitive and thats exciting! But to miss out could be deathly to a club, Chelsea could be in serious trouble if they dont make it. with FFP coming in, they have ridiculous wages and such that are unsustainable without that extra income.

I'd still prefer 3rd and the FA Cup though ;)

It is a bit funny to read that with hindsight. I don't think any Liverpool fan will claim Reina has been a 10/10 player this season (that's not claiming he's been **** btw) nor would any United fan claim Evra has been a 10/10 player.

Somehow getting the Liverpool squad a whole 8 points clear of the United squad is an absolute joke, however. Nothing really beats rating Carragher higher than Ferdinand, though.

Well yes, claiming one league title would mean Gerrard was on a par with Giggs actually manages to make the other one seem like a complete nothing tbf

How many legends at other clubs have lost any reputation as a result of their management time?For gods sake we still love Souness

No we don't. He did an interview with the sun on the anniversary of Hillsborough. Nobody sings about Souness, no banners are made with him on he is respected for what he did as a player but that is about it. People don't hold his performance as manager against him and they won't with Dalglish if he fails but we most certainly do not love Souness still.

Archived