Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

Not sure how this is any form of improvement on Hodgson. No idea why Carroll was bought on at 0-2 either, we were fine until then, it's almost as if once the game is 'won' we give Carroll a 'confidence run-out' which frankly looks like arrogance and disrespect to QPR - which was to be proved too.

Disgusted with that. My mood only lightened by the fact that my Manc acquaintances are all silent as hell having celebrated Chelsea's goal like they'd won the title.

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool need a management team who can coach players and develop them. As it stands now we buy average players for far to much and they never progress from there. Look at the likes of Swansea and Norwich have done with their players, they seem to improve and play beyond themselves. Liverpool players don't do that, they either remain at the same level or stagnate.

I honestly think it's a problem with premiership clubs in general, most managers simply play fantasy football and shop for players, nobody coaches players anymore. When was the last time you saw a Liverpool youngster really improve or the course of 2/3 seasons.

So many over reactions about tonight. I know some like divinity are constantly critical so fair enough in a way. The whole team and Kenny should be ashamed of themselves to be honest.

I long for the day to have Rafa back in that technical area. But we aren't going to get out of this mess by sacking people without thought and Kenny and the team need our backing for the rest of the season.

Oh and so glad I gave my ticket up for that would have been fuming on the coach now.

also, while I don't want Rafa back, if he does come I hope he at last gets his Jovetic wish, just been on fire this season, and the only guy I can think of who we could get who'd be an equal replacement for Suarez

(plus we'd have Jonjo and Jojo in our squad)

Brilliant finish from Coates. Trust a barely-used centre back to show our team how to finish a half chance.

So many over reactions about tonight. I know some like divinity are constantly critical so fair enough in a way. The whole team and Kenny should be ashamed of themselves to be honest.

I long for the day to have Rafa back in that technical area. But we aren't going to get out of this mess by sacking people without thought and Kenny and the team need our backing for the rest of the season.

Oh and so glad I gave my ticket up for that would have been fuming on the coach now.

Clown post considering I hadn't even posted about the match. Clown post full stop actually richardson.

hopefully a big team to show if he can still cut it at the top

You what? Of course he could still cut it at the top. The next club he goes on to manage will get success as long as he has owners who will believe in him and back him as much as they can.

hopefully a big team to show if he can still cut it at the top

I don't think he really needs to prove it does he? if he was given the investment our owners gave Kenny last summer there would be no chance we wouldn't be at least top 5.In my opinion probably top 3.

Brilliant finish from Coates. Trust a barely-used centre back to show our team how to finish a half chance.

Clown post considering I hadn't even posted about the match. Clown post full stop actually richardson.

Maybe I didn't get across what I was trying to say. It wasn't aimed remotely at you because you are always unhappy so I would expect you to be completely livid. Which is fair enough I might not agree with you but at least you are consistent ;).

Didn't that Inter team win a treble the season before?

Didn't Rafa win 2 trophies in six months whilst he was there? Regardless of what it achieved with Mourinho, Rafa is very different tactically. Ergo Mourinho's team doesn't equal success with more positive tactics. Rafa didn't get the support he needed, either here when he had to turn a profit in his last few transfer windows, or there, when he wasn't given the opportunity to shape a very ageing side.

If Kenny gets the sack i think Comoli should also get the sack.

I agree, we had a very healthy budget to really push us on and get at least 4th and it's been mostly wasted. Carroll, Henderson and Downing are all SHOCKING buys that someone should be sacked for. Our best buys have been mostly cheap - Bellamy, Enrique etc.

League campaign has been utterly appalling.

As I said a few pages back:

Adam is a terrible footballer. The fact he has more assists than the rest of your team is fairly irrelevant, it just highlights the fact that the rest of your midfield is under-performing. I genuinely think you'd be a better team if you didn't have Adam in midfield, what he brings in terms of the odd assist is massively cancelled out by the fact that the team as a whole plays worse because he's part of the midfield.

:smug:

Inter were probably going to die on their arse anyway, Mourinho probably got out at just the right time

I think he is a master at this to be honest. Chelsea he got out just as Roman started getting a bit silly, Inter left an ageing side and bought players in their late 20's to suit his side, Porto took a couple of years to get back round to anywhere near the quality they were. Every club he goes to neglects the academy and takes a good few years to get back on their feet again with a long term plan. Same will happen at Madrid again once he gets out.

Win a game - give Kenny time. Lose a game - get Rafa back

I still think we should give Kenny time, but I did say at the time of his appointment although it would be amazing to see him in the dugout as somebody who didn't get the chance in his first stint as manager Rafa would have definitely been my choice. He has so much unfinished business here. He is the reason that our academy actually looks like producing a few players over the next few years. He is they man who tactically outclassed the best Europe had to offer whilst constantly being outspent. My worry is he goes somewhere like City with their unlimited budget. He would win everything in site in my opinion.

Last night was a bit of a kick in the balls like. Havent seen the highlights yet but will make sure I do, but having read the write-up it seems like we should have been home & dry. Story of the season I guess!!!

Im not excusing the performance, but we arent Chelsea you know. I dont understand this fascination of hot-shotting managers because they dont win every game.

WE ARENT AS GOOD AS WE WERE FOR CHRIST SAKE. This club was practically on the verge of bankruptcy so can we not realise that we need to take small steps forward.

A few years ago we had Alonso, Carra in his prime, Mascherano, Hyypia, Torres, a fully fit Gerrard etc and I dont blame a lot of them for leaving to be honest. We were in such turmoil at one point that we are doing well to be where we are. Its a slow process of building and as frustrating as it is we just need to be patient.

If we're meant to be building ourselves back up then why did we go an entire transfer window without signing anyone? Yet another failure from Kenny as the whole world and his wife can see we're ****.

And its not that we don't win every game. We've barely won a game this calendar year.

What is it with people wildly over-exaggerating criticism?

Nobody's said we should win every game. But this shower of **** definitely should NOT happen:

Sunderland D

Stoke L

Norwich D

Swansea D

Fulham L

Wigan D

Blackburn D

Stoke D

Bolton L

Arsenal L

Sunderland L

QPR L

11 wins, 9 draws, 9 losses is bordering on Souness-esque.

Nobody's said we should win every game. But this shower of **** definitely should NOT happen:

Sunderland D

Stoke L

Norwich D

Swansea D

Fulham L

Wigan D

Blackburn D

Stoke D

Bolton L

Arsenal L

Sunderland L

QPR L

It definitely shouldn't happen no doubt about it. But if you never show people loyalty how can you expect any back. Sacking people at the end of one bad season gets you nowhere. We did it to Rafa and look where we are now. Kenny has won a cup, is at Wembley for another semi and has a chance of winning another. We are back in Europe which is a positive. We have moved forward, I agree only slightly but the club is in a stronger position now than it was at the beginning of the season. For that alone Kenny deserves another season. My only frustration is having a manager still living relatively local to Anfield, who loves the club and I'm guessing would love the job back and we didn't get him back. He could literally come in and turn the fortunes of this club around overnight.

Well there you go. If theres someone out there who we know can do a better job, will jump at the chance and who we all (well, apart from Rafa and why?) want to see back, we have to go for him. Not stay loyal to Kenny simply because he's the man in charge. He hasn't done well enough in the league to keep hold of the job, sad but true.

Didn't Rafa win 2 trophies in six months whilst he was there? Regardless of what it achieved with Mourinho, Rafa is very different tactically. Ergo Mourinho's team doesn't equal success with more positive tactics. Rafa didn't get the support he needed, either here when he had to turn a profit in his last few transfer windows, or there, when he wasn't given the opportunity to shape a very ageing side.

Come along now mate. Claiming the Italian Supercup and the Club Word Cup (two competitions that required him to beat a grand total of approximately 3 opponents, plus Inter were eligible for only because of Mourinho's success the previous season) as proper trophies is a bit of a stretch. Let's not forget you were poo-pooing the Carling Cup the other week.

I'm not going to get into another session of dissecting Rafa's history here, but his time at Inter was a complete failure. He tried to force new tactics on an ageing team that were ill suited to them. That is bad management I'm afraid. If he'd set them up tactically in a way that suited the players at his disposal, as Mourinho did, he may well have still been in a job there now.

Rafa's first 3 months there he was being lauded as an absolute hero for playing a different brand of football to Mourinho, but don't let that stop you. It was only once they got a tonne of injuries and one poor run of form that it went sour. Even then he was only about 2 points off 3rd or something when he got sacked? And he was only sacked for having the balls to stand up to Moratti.

Yes he was sacked for whinging to the newspapers about his employer not backing him in the transfer market iirc? Always a good way to endear yourself to a new club that one, top work that man. :D

It started well for him and then rapidly turned to ****, less than six months after they had won Serie A and the Champions League. Complete failure I'm afraid, but don't let that stop you. :D

Sunderland D

Stoke L

Norwich D

Swansea D

Fulham L

Wigan D

Blackburn D

Stoke D

Bolton L

Arsenal L

Sunderland L

QPR L

We dominated the majority of those games and played some good football but we've been shocking in front of goal. Suarez as a lone striker doesn't work as he doesn't score enough and goals from wide areas have been seriously lacking, in particular when Kuyt and Downing play. We just need to buy a striker who has a proven record of scoring goals, I don't care if he is a workhorse or a good team player or English with EPL experience, just someone who can get it between the sticks on a regular basis. Add that to a fully fit team and we'd be a lot closer to 4th.

It would also be handy if he could take penalties.

They finished 2nd, 6 points off AC. Were 13 points off them with 2 or 3 games in hand when Rafa left.

Funny thing though, Rafa complained that he needed money to make a push the rest of the season. After he gets sacked and Leonardo comes in, Moratti gives him the money to buy Pazzini, Ranocchia, Nagatomo and Kharja. And guess what? They make up ground in the second half of the season and finish 2nd.

And there's no way Rafa could've had success there, not after Mourinho. Mourinho had Sneijder playing the best football of his life (something he hasn't come close to matching before or since), Maicon and Julio Cesar also at the top of their game and Milito and Samuel healthy, both of whom missed significant time when Rafa was in charge.

But he has signed an amazing shirt deal let's not forget!

Just seen Coates' goal: what a hero!

Shocking result last night. No point in sacking Kenny now but I hope we get someone new in for the End/Pre-Season who has an eye for good players.

We're now actually 3 points worse off than the corresponding fixtures last season. PROGRESS.

Kenco - Kenny was the person who bought these strikers to the club. And Downing. And Adam :mad:

I know, I wasn't defending Kenny. His dealings in the transfer market have been mixed, some of the team selections downright strange. But he's still better than Woy.

Liverpool's youngsters will take on Marseille in the NextGen Series third and fourth place play-off at Chelsea's training ground on Saturday morning.

The French outfit lost 2-0 in their semi-final to Inter Milan last night while Liverpool were denied a final spot by a talented Ajax outfit.

Ajax face Inter Milan in the final on Sunday, but Borrell's youngsters still have a chance to finish third in the first year of the NextGen Series.

Kick-off at Chelsea's training ground Cobham is at 11.30am.

Supporters should note this is a behind closed doors fixture only with no admission.

Archived