Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the faults have been clear for ages. nothing was done to deal with them in the jan transfer window, and nothing has been done to deal with them tactically. If Kenny can't see the issues now, what makes you think he'll be able to see them in 30 games time?

January transfer window was very quiet for all teams tbf.

we may have had to pay a little bit more, but it would have been worth it if it meant getting closer to 4th. overpaying hasn't stopped us the two transfer windows before.

UEFA fair play rules?

When does that come into affect? and it is called UEFA fair play rules isnt it?

Jesus wept, what a waste of time this thread has become.

We won a trophy and half of the users are still fecking moaning. Yes we made hard work of it, yes we were below par, but we actually won something so let's just enjoy it for what it is. Let's see if we can add the FA Cup to the cabinet too would represent a huge step forward.

It also takes the pressure of in the League now. We can play with a little more freedom knowing that at the very least we are already in Europe.

Obviously wasn't your best performance but we made you look worse than you were thanks to our tremendous spirit in the defence and midfield, so don't get too down, we could have matched many other teams with that performance Sunday.

I dunno, many teams with 70% possession, 19 corners and 34 shots on goal, might have done a bit better than we did.

Obviously wasn't your best performance but we made you look worse than you were thanks to our tremendous spirit in the defence and midfield, so don't get too down, we could have matched many other teams with that performance Sunday.

We made you look good in defense. ;)

Jesus wept, what a waste of time this thread has become.

We won a trophy and half of the users are still fecking moaning. Yes we made hard work of it, yes we were below par, but we actually won something so let's just enjoy it for what it is. Let's see if we can add the FA Cup to the cabinet too would represent a huge step forward.

It also takes the pressure of in the League now. We can play with a little more freedom knowing that at the very least we are already in Europe.

Being in the Europa League wasn't the stated goal at the start of the season bell. For that reason I really don't give a **** about the league cup. I expect this team to progress beyond last season's league finish. Right now they aren't doing that.

and other teams not wanting to buy last January means we can't fix glaring holes in midfield and attack because?

Probably learnt our lesson that there is no value in the January transfer window.

Bayern bought Shaqiri for €10M in January (although he won't join them until the summer). Dortmund did the same with Marco Reus (€17M IIRC). Both would've been much better buys than Henderson and Downing; this british/PL-centric transfer policy is maddening.

Have you ever had the wild thought that neither of these players might have wanted to play for us?

Probably learnt our lesson that there is no value in the January transfer window.

Suarez? Carroll was a last minute panic buy.

Have you ever had the wild thought that neither of these players might have wanted to play for us?

I think you're probably right with those two. However I would have loved it if we'd gone for Hoilett or Honda, both of whom there was enough transfer talk around to suggest they might have been available.

Think people are kidding themselves if they thought Shaqiri wouldn't have left Basel for Liverpool. An irrelevance though, should be aiming higher, for the likes of Gotze.

But it's not a choice between Basel and Liverpool. It's between Bayern(and any other teams that were interested) and Liverpool.

Being in the Europa League wasn't the stated goal at the start of the season bell. For that reason I really don't give a **** about the league cup. I expect this team to progress beyond last season's league finish. Right now they aren't doing that.

Was there a stated goal? Obviously it goes without saying that a top 4 finish is what a club of our size should expect. Sadly, many Liverpool fans seem to have short memories. It was barely a year ago that Hodgson was given his P45, so it's fairly safe to say that at least some progress has been made. Or are we just going to give managers 12 months to turn us from a steaming pile of horse-**** (which is what we were under Hodgson) into top 4 contenders.

There aren't just 4 good teams in this league anymore, and you can't just be half-decent and pick up 4th place. You have Mancchester City and Spurs who have stepped up a level, you now have 6 teams going for 4 places.

Calling for the boss to be sacked after a cup win, just stinks of short-termism. Let's see where we end up and let's see who we bring in during the summer. Winning cups and qualifying for Europe at least shows it is a Liverpool team on the up and that might attract bigger names in itself.

It amazes me that people think they can rhyme of names FM style and expect them to join us. Our club has not long gone through a very public finanical crisis and almost collapse and has falling way down from our peak of 4 years ago. The likes of Adama and Downing may have been the best quality players we could attract last summer. As I have said before, expect to see is churn through players for a couple of seasons as we progress. I would be suprised to see Adam here next season for instance and unless he goes on some kind of goal rampage, I would give Carroll one more season after this one at a maximum.

Was there a stated goal? Obviously it goes without saying that a top 4 finish is what a club of our size should expect. Sadly, many Liverpool fans seem to have short memories. It was barely a year ago that Hodgson was given his P45, so it's fairly safe to say that at least some progress has been made. Or are we just going to give managers 12 months to turn us from a steaming pile of horse-**** (which is what we were under Hodgson) into top 4 contenders.

There aren't just 4 good teams in this league anymore, and you can't just be half-decent and pick up 4th place. You have Mancchester City and Spurs who have stepped up a level, you now have 6 teams going for 4 places.

Calling for the boss to be sacked after a cup win, just stinks of short-termism. Let's see where we end up and let's see who we bring in during the summer. Winning cups and qualifying for Europe at least shows it is a Liverpool team on the up and that might attract bigger names in itself.

It amazes me that people think they can rhyme of names FM style and expect them to join us. Our club has not long gone through a very public finanical crisis and almost collapse and has falling way down from our peak of 4 years ago. The likes of Adama and Downing may have been the best quality players we could attract last summer. As I have said before, expect to see is churn through players for a couple of seasons as we progress. I would be suprised to see Adam here next season for instance and unless he goes on some kind of goal rampage, I would give Carroll one more season after this one at a maximum.

Absolutely spot on. Does my head in when people say oh we should have gone for Benzema instead of Carroll or something daft. I really think FM gets into peoples heads. Yes we are still quite a big attraction but money talks these days as does the champions league. We went after players who have proven themselves in the prem, might not have worked out in every case but you can see the logic. If we do pick up our form and finish fourth in my opinion it will be money well spent.

Give Kenny at least one full season. It would have been like saying get rid of Rafa in his first season, we might have won the Champions League but we came fifth not good enough. The league is very difficult these days and hopefully if we invest well over the summer Kenny will take us further forward than he has already.

Reference:

The Liverpool owner, John W Henry, has warned Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool that failure to qualify for the Champions League next season would be a "major disappointment" for the club.

"It's too early for us to talk about winning the league," said Henry according to reports on Monday. "[but] our main goal is to qualify for the Champions League. If we don't, it would be a major disappointment."

From the Guardian. And despite last season, we still managed to finish 7th. I'd suggest a failure to improve on that would be catastrophic considering how much work was done to this squad.

Yes, but without the player turnover we went through. The side should be well past the gelling phase now.

I don't look upon it as that at all. I look at the tactical ineptitude and the inability to break down massively inferior quality teams. Nothing to do with the cup at all.

I question the nature of the signings at all though - Adam and Downing an improvement on the side from last season? Not on current evidence. The willingness to farm out Aquilani again is immensely frustrating.

Give Kenny at least one full season. It would have been like saying get rid of Rafa in his first season, we might have won the Champions League but we came fifth not good enough. The league is very difficult these days and hopefully if we invest well over the summer Kenny will take us further forward than he has already.

Kenny shipped out players or benched them who secured 7th last season after a horror start, in favour of spending on players who are set to....secure 7th this season, but only through inconsistency.

I do find it ironic people have a willingness to let Kenny spend, considering in his first tilt he failed to rebuild a declining team effectively, leaving Souness with a horror job, and this time around it's been no different - rebuilding just hasn't been something he's ever done well at. Generational change.

Adam might not have been the best we could do but you can see the logic behind what we were trying to achieve, I think it is more them not being able to deal with the pressures and expectations of the club why they look so poor.

I just think you have to give people time especially Kenny, his managerial record is hardly poor lets be honest. I'm not expecting us to win the league any time soon and at the start of the season thought we would finish fifth. I think a year in the Europa would do us good. Kenny needs to get some experience managing in Europe better to gain it there than the Champions League. It is a time for us to be patient. Not so long ago we were very close to administration and had Roy Hodgson in charge. Now we have no debt, have just won a trophy and are still in the race for fourth, it's not all that bad.

You do realise Aquilani didn't want to stay at the club?

You do realise saying something over and over and over again, just to justify your position doesn't make it true. If he didn't want to be here then it was because of US putting him on the "****" list and shipping him out 2 years ago.

If we really wanted him this year i'm sure he could have been persuaded to stay for a year, fact is we didn't want him the management thought Adam and Henderson were better.

No ones saying we should be poaching players from Real Madrid, but its a poor excuse to say we can't compete for some of these players. We could under Rafa.

Ok no champions league football does make it harder, which is why its so much more important than a 3rd rate tin pot , but if we can't attract quality players then one, don't spend quality player money are rubbish and two maybe get someone in who can attract quality players. And thats not just a dig at Kenny we have a director of football too who should be doing that.

Aquilani's agent was touting him around Italy and was telling the press about it all the time, presumably with our consent. We weren't desperate to keep him and he wasn't at all desperate to stay, people need to get the **** over it instead of making him out to be the saviour.

Absolutely spot on. Does my head in when people say oh we should have gone for Benzema instead of Carroll or something daft. I really think FM gets into peoples heads. Yes we are still quite a big attraction but money talks these days as does the champions league. We went after players who have proven themselves in the prem, might not have worked out in every case but you can see the logic. If we do pick up our form and finish fourth in my opinion it will be money well spent.

Ah yes, Carroll REALLLLYYYY proved him self in the Premier League.

Not to mention Henderson!

WOOOOOOO

New owners are largely to blame for expectations. They could easily have said they were going to take a sensible approach to rebuilding the club over the next few years and would spend wisely to achieve that. Instead they say they want fourth and spend over the odds in a short time frame, they created a lot of the current concerns with their decision making.

Archived