Chelsea 2011/12 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Administrators

Oh, and the fact the 56/81 goals thing has been mentioned in Ashton's piece is something I find weird as it was brought up by some randomer on Twitter a coupla weeks ago and I think he's just borrowed it. The original statement was that he's lost the burst that allowed him to be effective in that role a few years ago, Ashton's gone the other way with it though.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators
Phil, have you heard anything real about the Pep stuff or is it just because he's moving to London so the inevitable rubbish?

I didn't know he was moving to London, thought it was New York. Anyway, hard to be able to decipher anything really other than the fact he's clearly wanted. The rest is all conjecture atm.

Oh, and the fact the 56/81 goals thing has been mentioned in Ashton's piece is something I find weird as it was brought up by some randomer on Twitter a coupla weeks ago and I think he's just borrowed it. The original statement was that he's lost the burst that allowed him to be effective in that role a few years ago, Ashton's gone the other way with it though.

Ha, i'm glad you've said this as I was sure i'd read it previously but couldn't work out where, or if indeed I even had.

Hulk strikes me as a right footed Sturridge with a bit more about him because he's a bit older and has more experience. Sturridge can become a better player and I don't think he'll be best pleased by the signing. Mind, if someone works out Sturridge is a better striker than Torres and puts him up top with whatever combination of three behind him, watch out.
He's identical to Sturridge in the way they played (I compared them a few pages back) but the difference is, I'd rather have Sturridge. Yes, we've given him plenty of stick (rightfully) but he has got bags of potential and had an excellent 1st half to the season whereas Hulk is at his prime - or near enough to it - and is pretty much the same player that Sturridge is, just with some more muscle.

I didn't know he was moving to London, thought it was New York. Anyway, hard to be able to decipher anything really other than the fact he's clearly wanted. The rest is all conjecture atm.

Yeah, apparently his family decided it for him a while ago. Just seems stupid, claiming stress and that, then moving somewhere where he won't even be able to leave the house. Anyway, there was a thing in the papers here on Monday about Pep's brother meeting Chelsea, didn't know if you'd heard anything more reliable.

Well I am sure everything will be fine next season after Torres, Mata, Hazard, Hulk all scores 20 goals each and we'll be laughing this conversation ever took place.

Indeed. This seems like the most likely thing to happen. :lol:

Indeed. This seems like the most likely thing to happen. :lol:

Lowered that number for Torres' sake obv.

On another note, is this thread the longest ever for a Chelsea thread in the history of these forums? Been around a couple of years, not sure we ever got close to breaking 100 pages.

Think we managed a reasonable 50 plus pages for quite a few of the seasons since I have been here iirc.

Now that we're European champions we should be breaking 100 pages next season ofc. ;)

Hulk strikes me as a right footed Sturridge with a bit more about him because he's a bit older and has more experience. Sturridge can become a better player and I don't think he'll be best pleased by the signing. Mind, if someone works out Sturridge is a better striker than Torres and puts him up top with whatever combination of three behind him, watch out.

Except Hulk only uses his right foot to walk. He's as left footed as left footers come.

• Administrators

Maybe it's just a perception thing (except that it's not his dominant foot), I've always thought Hulk is happy to use it.

Cursory highlights glance shows he's more than willing to go outside and cross with it, so that's one thing. (

)

Conversation's moved on a bit but +1 for the Sturridge up front shouts. Not hugely fussed by Hulk but he clearly has talent and there's no point in writing him off now before he's even signed, in 18 months time if he has 12 goals in 67 games then I'll be more than happy to join those of who saying he's a waste of money.

On another note, would those of you who've seen much of Todd Kane say he'd be good enough to be back up RB next season? Seems silly to me to spend £5m+ on a backup for a position where there tends not to be huge amounts of rotation.

Pretty decent header as well, just had a look at the goal.

Tbh I will wait and see with Hulk. From the videos I have seen on youtube he looks great but I have only seen highlights of him. Never full games really. However like Bridgekings said I like his directness and the fact he looks very quick with and without the ball as well.

Pretty decent header as well, just had a look at the goal.

Tbh I will wait and see with Hulk. From the videos I have seen on youtube he looks great but I have only seen highlights of him. Never full games really. However like Bridgekings said I like his directness and the fact he looks very quick with and without the ball as well.

I agree. Just for the fact that he is very quick unlike Malouda or Kalou, as well strong, he might provide flair to our attack. Still don't think he will be worth the reported 38m but if we are signing him he better turn out good :D

Everyone slagged off Cahill and look where he has gotten us. I never get too excited or too 'distraught' about a signing. Judge any signing when you seem them play for us. There are so many variables as to why a player is under/overperforming at a particular club and new signings can either turn out very well or very poor.

Everyone slagged off Cahill and look where he has gotten us. I never get too excited or too 'distraught' about a signing. Judge any signing when you seem them play for us. There are so many variables as to why a player is under/overperforming at a particular club and new signings can either turn out very well or very poor.

I just get excited at every signing, which is probably the worst way to go, you're never pleasantly surprised.

I've also formed an unnatural attachment to Hazard already, so if that falls through I'm gonna be pissed. On Hulk, I actually like the look of him, granted I've seen very little, only a couple of full games for Porto and the recent Brazil game, but I think he could be a very good player for us, though I don't like spending that amount on anyone. My main concern with signing Hulk is what happens to Sturridge? He's already been making noises about not being happy, so I don't think signing more competition for him is going to help.

Except Hulk only uses his right foot to walk. He's as left footed as left footers come.

No he's not.

Obviously he will use the left foot whenever he can, no reason not to if it's his better one.

But he uses his right foot effectively if needed and has scored some important goals with it in the past, including the title decider against Braga this year.

http://youtu.be/iJu6sz2ye1o

He's identical to Sturridge in the way they played

A bit identical this season because in pre-season and the first few months AVB used Sturridge the exact same way he played Hulk at Porto, down to even letting Sturridge take the left footed free kicks. Hulk has a hell of a left foot when cutting in to shoot, has explosive pace, power, and is not a winger. I believe he's far better than Sturridge, that he can still improve, and that Sturridge probably will not. He has also, for all his perceived power (and his name), not demonstrated how he would handle regular straight up confrontations with properly strong centrebacks like they have in England.

Sturridge will definitely improve, that's as close to a certainty as you'll get. I don't think we'll be going back to the hideous 4-3-3 either.

I think we should have Torres/Sturridge/Lukaku as our lone strikers next season, buy a world class RB and another young winger to play on the right.
Ivanović is, arguably, world class.

I think Torres will have a 20 (ish) goal season next campaign, with bridgekings to spontaneously combust with that prospect in sight

I think it's hard to gauge a number per se. So i'd like to re-engineer the bet Crazy and say that he wont be in our top three league goalscorers.

10 is hardly a hell of a season is it anyway :D! Holtmania got 15.

If it clicks for us next season I reckon he'll score some goals but i'll spend the season infuriated thinking that a proper striker would be scoring double.

Archived