Chelsea 2011/12 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why Turnbull? He's 3rd choice, will never get a game but is English born/trained.
He's 2nd choice, unfortunately. Ah yes, the HG thing ... couldn't we us Blackman in the CL as a 3rd choice and get a good backup keeper. I'm just thinking worst-case scenario that Cech's injured and Courtois isn't there and we have to use Turnbull who is awful or the 36 year old Hilario.

I don't know who we could get that is significantly better than Hilario/Turnbull relatively cheaply that would be content sitting on the benxh? No point bringing in a younger keeper to do it either with Courtois ready to take over when the time is right.

• Administrators
I dunno, I've never really been able to believe that. I'd imagine they at least have a say. It's almost too stupid for this club to do. Almost. :D

Why? It's commonplace in pretty much any other league than the British ones.

Why? It's commonplace in pretty much any other league than the British ones.

Honestly, I think being American makes me think that's just really, really strange. Hard to imagine the manager not having a considerable amount of control.

I would say in the end the coaches are usually the ones with more sway, especially on the top organizations. They are the ones who use the players, after all. There are teams that don't even use general managers, and ones who very rarely have their names mentioned. GMs that mess around too much with the team are generally on, eh, "poorer" teams. I've always imagined the general manager as the guy that deals a bit more with logistics of acquiring players and things like that, not actual decisions.

But I suppose the differences between sports has a lot to do with it. I would guess it's a bit easier to force a player a coach doesn't want into a team in the NFL, as the positions are much more specific and roles vary less from team to team than they would in you people's football. The tactical side of soccer/football is much broader and more complicated as well. It could be that it happens all the time and we just have no idea.

What sport are you thinking of Oypus? GM tenures tend to be longer than coach's--that fact alone is indicative that they have more influence on personnel than coaches.

They certainly do in MLB and the NBA.

The NFL is actually much closer to proper football in that way: if you don't play a 3-4, you have absolutely zero use for a 340 pound nosetackle. You don't even play with a nosetackle. Substitute winger (or, just pretend it's two 170 pound wingers ... ) and you have a pretty exact comparison. In the NFL, that is usually the choice of the defensive coordinator, perhaps of the head coach if they are the one who designs the defense. But the people busy today with the NFL draft? Pretty much all GM's.

In MLB, the manager usually has control over the last couple roster spots, but that's really it. At best, the teams are constructed cooperatively.

In MLB at least the GM/owner rules. You can't really expect the guy in charge of the major league team to have day to day dealings on decisions on c200 players across 6+ teams, especially as a)he'll have to prepare for a game that day b)he would be reluctant to trade away any player for a prospect who may see the majors in 6 years.

That whole post was solely football. That's the sport I follow most here. The draft is a lot of collaboration between all the team's executive staff, and teams usually overanalyze the **** out of it. :p I suppose being a Patriots fan doesn't help, but it just seems like the best GMs in the league help when they need to, but sit back and let a coach do his thing. So long as the coach isn't an idiot.

He's 2nd choice, unfortunately. Ah yes, the HG thing ... couldn't we us Blackman in the CL as a 3rd choice and get a good backup keeper. I'm just thinking worst-case scenario that Cech's injured and Courtois isn't there and we have to use Turnbull who is awful or the 36 year old Hilario.

Turnbull is pretty good tbf

I wonder what the team will be considering we only have Terry fit at CB. I do wonder whether Romeu will be asked to drop back in there as he played there a few times in his Barca days. Other than that the only thing I can think of is either Bosingwa, Essien or Mikel, unless a youth player is going to make a surprise appearance but that seems very unlikely.

I know it's been said in 70% of his games for Chelsea "he's been better" or "showing signs of the old Torres" and crap like that. But this today indeed seems like Torres that didn't slip on every occasion or had decision making of a dead monkey.

Archived