The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

aye mate! going hull in 2 weeks as well. was ridiculous wasnt it! posted on the ccmb last week that we should try 451 with 2 holding midfielders and whitts behind miller. malky listening to me obviously :*)

****ing love ag17 and kiss. both look top players. miller looked a different player to when hes up front in a 2. conway was wasteful, had so much space every time. if bellamy was down that left hand side sat we'd have won 10-1!

have u seen malky's comment today pre match to leicester..."you have to leave your ego at the door when you enter our club" i am in love.

Yeah we were fantastic. Look so good in the middle for a change. Gunn has hell of a pass on him, as well as being able to tackle. Was finding Conway down the left every time. Kiss needs a game or two more but I reckon he'll be just as good. Great find by the club. Really hope Miller gets a goal soon too.

Elland Road's my next away. Cant wait to see Turner tomorrow.

I'm in 2 minds wether to go on the Turf tonight, couple of friends have already phoned me asking if I'm coming on.

Lower league opposition again and £15 again, but if we had been away all 3 rounds, I'd have probably been moaning at not getting the chance to watch them.

I feel like going now, miss the night match atmosphere. Can't be any worse than the Middlesbrough game, can it?

Or I could save myself £15, stay warm and watch Leeds V Man Utd instead.

Hmmmm, decisions decisions.

I'm in 2 minds wether to go on the Turf tonight, couple of friends have already phoned me asking if I'm coming on.

Lower league opposition again and £15 again, but if we had been away all 3 rounds, I'd have probably been moaning at not getting the chance to watch them.

I feel like going now, miss the night match atmosphere. Can't be any worse than the Middlesbrough game, can it?

Or I could save myself £15, stay warm and watch Leeds V Man Utd instead.

Hmmmm, decisions decisions.

If you can afford the £15 get yourself down:thup:

Our defense is sooo poor it's frightening. I really do worry that we are going to be in a relegation battle with that defense.

There's just no fight, a team of kids, who play like kids.

Andre Amougou lit up my night, ok it took a big deflection, but he went there. :cool:

He soaked it up afterwards aswell. :D

Into the last 16 once again, hopefully another run to the last 4 or maybe 2.

If we play like that against a Premier League side though, we will get slaughtered. Hopefully infront of a bigger crowd/against bigger opposition we will raise our game.

Andre Amougou lit up my night, ok it took a big deflection, but he went there. :cool:

The man really is an absolute hero. Scoring overhead kicks one minute, heading it towards our box with opposition strikers lurking the next. He's nothing if not entertaining. :D

Have to agree with you about our defense. It's just terrible to watch. Fully expect us to concede at least three against Southampton on saturday.

Yeah Gunnar or Aron is acceptable if you don't want to type out Gunnarsson. I'm not suggesting that Aron should be a AM (though again he can do an acceptable job there) but his best position is definitely as a box to box midfielder and not a holding midfielder.

Quite scared of the prospect of Leicester tonight(League Cup), just remembered how much we dominated Blackpool and am really excited!

Should be a good game, Malky used a lot of first teamers last few rounds, and Leicester have quality backup, good for Stevie McPhail to get game time, same with Kiss!

This is Stephane Bikey's new name, right? He's incredible, so much audacity. If his decision making was better he'd be a top class defender. As it is, he's one of the few central defenders who is genuinely exciting to watch, though I think he's mostly playing in midfield for you?

This is Stephane Bikey's new name, right? He's incredible, so much audacity. If his decision making was better he'd be a top class defender. As it is, he's one of the few central defenders who is genuinely exciting to watch, though I think he's mostly playing in midfield for you?

Yep, it's Amougou now. He said he wants to use his family name from now on.

Erm no, he had a brief spell in midfield during our Premier League season to try and add some steel into our midfield, but was soon moved back to defense.

He's not played much under Eddie Howe (he didn't for Laws either for a while, when he first took over) rumours go around that he regulary doesn't turn up for training on time..

As you said, when he's on top of his game and focused he is one of the best defender's in this League by a mile, a total athlete. Unfortunately, he dilly dallies alot, real lack of concentration from him at times. He's also not shy about dwelling on the ball moving forward from the back, or casually playing short passes across to his centre back partner, with an opposition player only yards away, makes me have my heart in my mouth.

He's just a casual guy, from the way he walks out of the tunnel, right at the back really slow, to the way he plays with the ball at his feet with men running at him. He's so casual, it's scary at times. :D

But even with his inability to stay focused and concentrate, he's still one of our best defenders imo and should start.

As Phil said, he really is entertaining to watch, with his runs from the back, his long diagonal passes upfield, or his regular close calls etc.

Any Bristol C fans? Looking for tips on parking, parked in a carpark last year which was a nightmare to get out of!

everytime i have been to bristol i have parked on the street. last year i parked on smyth road (but i did get there quite early), year before that i parked on upton road. basically all street parking around there appears to be free so just put it on the street!!

• SI Staff

Doncaster sack O’Driscoll. For failing to enable Doncaster Rovers to beat West Ham, Nottingham Forest, play-off losers Reading, Cardiff City and Leeds United this season.

I know I am usually aghast by panic sackings, but this is the most ridiculous decision made by any club for many a year.

What on earth do the idiots demanding SOD go expect?

What a strange decision. SO'D was publicly backed by the chairman not two days ago. Next thing we know SO'D and RO'K have left and we've appointed some Conference bloke straight away. It seems all is not well in the boardroom.

• SI Staff
What a strange decision. SO'D was publicly backed by the chairman not two days ago. Next thing we know SO'D and RO'K have left and we've appointed some Conference bloke straight away. It seems all is not well in the boardroom.

I reckon it could well be you were trying to get Saunders in for a while and the statement annonced today by Wrexham that their takeover looks like it will collapse has lead Saunders to ask to be allowed to move on

I can't claim to know everything about Doncaster Rovers, but I've spoken to a few people when I've been around the Keepmoat over the past few months, and they're all of the opinion that John Ryan and Sean O'Driscoll have barely spoken since Sheffield United were denied the opportunity to talk to O'Driscoll last season. I don't know how true it is, but there is definitely something else other than the injuries that is causing a lack of confidence and cohesion.

This is what Rob said the other week.

Doncaster sack O’Driscoll. For failing to enable Doncaster Rovers to beat West Ham, Nottingham Forest, play-off losers Reading, Cardiff City and Leeds United this season.

I know I am usually aghast by panic sackings, but this is the most ridiculous decision made by any club for many a year.

What on earth do the idiots demanding SOD go expect?

That is completely out of order tbh.

The guy did a brilliant job, one of the best teams I saw at Fp last season, played good football, worked very hard and very organised. None of those things seem to happen with us at the moment, so SOD if you fancy it, I wouldn't be adverse to having him. Not that I'm saying I want Cotterill out, well I am, but the west country accent is annoying :mad:

I'm not saying whether I think Doncaster were right to sack their manager but the decision won't have just been made based on this season. They might have had a lot of injuries last season but they managed just 2 wins in the second half of last season. How long can you allow that kind of form to continue before deciding that a change has to be made?

Maybe a difference in opinions between the Manager and the board?

I remember when Coyle left us and we were very much after SOD, we backed out because of the compensation that the Doncaster board wanted.

Then there was rumours that SOD and the Doncaster board were not talking for a while after that.

Also read something about the Doncaster board blocking Sheff Utd from talking to SOD not long ago aswell, not sure if it was true though..

Harsh if true, stopped him talking to Sheff Utd, then sack him a few months later.

I thought O’Driscoll did a very good job at Doncaster, he's done wonders to get them and keep them in the Championship, playing nice football at times too.

Archived