The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, I've bummed him so much in this thread already probably I might as well do it again.... Providing he stays fit Adam Lallana will be the best player in the league.

That Erik kid looks **** hot on YouTube though. Be interesting to see how he does.

Meh, I've bummed him so much in this thread already probably I might as well do it again.... Providing he stays fit Adam Lallana will be the best player in the league.

That Erik kid looks **** hot on YouTube though. Be interesting to see how he does.

Kevin-Nolan-West-Ham_2628293.jpg

• SI Staff

I'm not sure how many of you will know the name but Ryan Harley has completed his medical with us today and we've agreed a 250k fee with Swansea (they signed him in Jan for nothing!) and the move will be completed subject to international clearance from the Welsh FA.

Excellent signing and will fit in perfectly here with the way we play football. Was superb for Exeter last season, has two brilliant feet and should take to the Championship like a duck to water.

Rumours are we're sounding out Arsenal for a player.... As I don't think it's Samir Nasri, they reckon it's Sanchez Watt on loan or maybe even Gavin Hoyte.

Isn't Hoyte one of those who was very promising as a 16 year old because of his pace, but hasn't lived up to that? Looking at the clubs he's been loaned to, Watford, BHA and Lincoln, that's a steady decline in quality...

Watt's available to buy outright.

Wouldn't want Watt as a winger or a striker unless we're about to lose Kébé, maybe if he can sit in the hole...

I'm not sure how many of you will know the name but Ryan Harley has completed his medical with us today and we've agreed a 250k fee with Swansea (they signed him in Jan for nothing!) and the move will be completed subject to international clearance from the Welsh FA.

Excellent signing and will fit in perfectly here with the way we play football. Was superb for Exeter last season, has two brilliant feet and should take to the Championship like a duck to water.

Very tidy footballer is Harley. Surprised Swansea didn't at least give it a go with him. As you say he'll fit in perfectly at Brighton.

As for Nolan....Take out penalties and I reckon Lallana might just score and assist more than him by the end of the season.

Deal done for us to sign Zavon Hines. Hopefully he can keep himself fit and put in a good season for us. Reckon he could do well in this division if he stays injury free. Last thing we need is another Martin Paterson situation.

From a Burnley fans point of view is this opening the way for Rodriguez to move on?

Erik Huseklepp... Woaaaahh ohhh woaaahhh (To the tune of what's new pussycat) :cool:

He's looks decent, the great Jan Åge Fjørtoft claims he can't play upfront on his own, likes to roam and can take on players. For £1.5m that is a good price for a decent striker in this league. What's amazing is we have a squad now without any loans, so that's something we can supplement the squad during the season.

The comment below the article just about sums it up really. Minus the moving to a weaker team. Wes is Forest through and through so unless our board offer an insult of a contract he will be staying.

I definitely don't think we'd get him... I reckon it's Sky clutching at straws. It's not impossible, but I'd be very surprised if he was to come.

you kow what, give us the mills money, hes yours ;)

That money is long gone - used to cover our operating losses each year. We won't spend £1M on a player I don't think.... what sort of a fee do you think would be needed?

Without factoring the fact he's in the last year of his contract he is probably worth around the £1.5-£2 mil mark, however I think it would need a fair bit more for us to agree a fee.

I'd be surprised if we spent that on a player....

Fixed for you :D

No fecking chance... Kebe is in talks to extend with us atm.

Oh well, at least we've got our two bogey sides of recent years out the way now, Forest away tomorrow, only haven't won there in the league in what, 40 years?

It's quite clear we're 11 individuals atm and our team really hasn't gelled yet.

I always remember David Connolly and his paternship with Neil Shipperly for Wimbledon 2002-03 season.

When they were both scoring for fun in the Championship, I think Connolly had 24 and Shipperly had 21.

The strike partnership of Neil Shipperley and Connolly has yielded over 45 goals this season and the pair linked well in the third minute when Connolly picked up Shipperley's flick and fired a low shot in from 25 yards. It looked to be heading for the bottom corner,

The funniest thing about Connolly with us though was that we bought him for £500k, he had an average season here then Wigan bought him for £3mil a year later! None of us could believe they paid that kind of money for him at the time. He then went on to score just 1 league goal for Wigan in 19 appearences. :D

Back from holiday and unsurprisingly we still haven't signed anyone. Only need to bring in a few players to be able to compete fgs! Had a look at the match report from Tuesday and we had three 17 year old's in midfield for basically the entire match :eek:

neil shipperley :cool:

haven't heard that name in ages!

I'd forgot all about him untill last season. I was watching a match on ESPN and they showed somebody on the sidelines and they said guess which former footballer that is?

Then when they said it was Shipperly I thought no chance, but a closer look at his face and it was.

He's put some real weight on, I didn't recgonise him. :D

I'm just shocked you have got David Connolly scoring. He was incredibly mediocre for us.

He went on to be Sunderland's top scorer when they were promoted to the Premier League. He is a class player, hampered for years by injury which now (hopefully) at the ripe old age of 34 he has overcome (though I doubt it). Lambert and Connolly are causing teams a huge amount of problems atm.

I'd forgot all about him untill last season. I was watching a match on ESPN and they showed somebody on the sidelines and they said guess which former footballer that is?

Then when they said it was Shipperly I thought no chance, but a closer look at his face and it was.

He's put some real weight on, I didn't recgonise him. :D

he was one of my very first signings on cm :D

He scored 17 League goals in 44 League games for Leicester in his only season for them (6 years and many injuries ago). You think that is "incredibly mediocre" in a Leicester side that finished 15th that season, so were hardly creating lots of opportunities for him?

No he didn't.

He scored 13 goals in 44 league games. Which, yes, I would describe as a very mediocre return from a goalscorer and we created plenty of opportunities, his finishing for us was just abysmal, he missed hatfuls of chances.

He then scored a hat-trick in like the first game at the start of following season which is basically why Wigan signed him.

And he top scored in that Sunderland side by again scoring 13 goals.

A couple of seasons of scoring 13 goals at this level since his Wimbledon days is pretty mediocre for a supposed proven goalscorer, yes.

Spoken like a man who hasn't seen Jimmy Kébé play.

Awesome night at Cardiff. Honestly would have been delighted with a point as I was fully expecting us to get turned over. Thought we started quite well but then Cardiff really got on top and I was just praying for half time to come! Totally against the run of play though we nick a goal to take the lead and we didn't look back. Played some excellent football, the penalty came from a Cardiff counter attack, turning into and Albion counter and superb running by Mackail-Smith. Great goal for Hoskins on his debut too. In dream land at the moment. Maybe Blackpool will bring us back down to earth!

Didn't realise you were there for it Si, Would have suggested meeting up if I had.

Cardiff had to pay some of his wages apparently, but nowhere near his full wage.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/8624209/Full-interview-Craig-Bellamy-on-leaving-Manchester-City-for-Cardiff-City-and-his-colourful-life-in-and-out-of-football.html

I'm sure some teams may be willing to take the punt on Santa Cruz under those conditions, whether or not he would drop a league remains to be seen.

May have been "nowhere near" his full wages, but it was still a significant amount of money to be paying in wages for a Championship club, wouldn't have been many in the league on that kind of money at clubs who'd not been in the Premiership recently.

Also, Cardiff had made a commitment to pay his wages in full should they have gone up. Really don't understand why this still gets brought up now with so many people choosing to ignore facts of the situation.

Archived