The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's either that or come home, from interviews I'm not sure he's too keen on coming home if he can find something to do in England. Wouldn't be too surprised to see him take up some sort of PFA role tbf, think he was the middle man between the PFA and the Pompey players when he was there. At least he had some sort of role in that sense.

Pretty much the exact same game last night as it was in our league game, very happy with that and I just hope we are sensible for the first 15 mins or so on Monday and keep the ball like we've shown we can.

Does everyone have to go through that ticket hassle with Cardiff?

Pretty much the exact same game last night as it was in our league game, very happy with that and I just hope we are sensible for the first 15 mins or so on Monday and keep the ball like we've shown we can.

Does everyone have to go through that ticket hassle with Cardiff?

only the bad clubs

so yeah, us, millwall and you

25, I thought he was 23. I wouldn't mind us attempting to sign him. However, I don't think we will and should we keep Chambers, Lynch and Lascelles, they'll probably be our first team centre backs next season. Has anyone got any club release lists yet?

we are after lynch again just like last summer, will be interesting im not sure if we have to pay any compensation if we get him, he's 24 right? or is tht rule for under 24s?

only the bad clubs

so yeah, us, millwall and you

i dont think we had any restrictions for cardiff this year. we still get the woolley edge bollocks with you though

we are after lynch again just like last summer' date=' will be interesting im not sure if we have to pay any compensation if we get him, he's 24 right? or is tht rule for under 24s?

i dont think we had any restrictions for cardiff this year. we still get the woolley edge bollocks with you though[/quote']

wrong mate, the club has nothing to do with it, you should know that

it's always the police that decide

we are after lynch again just like last summer' date=' will be interesting im not sure if we have to pay any compensation if we get him, he's 24 right? or is tht rule for under 24s?[/quote']

No you arent, at least, not yet, from the players twitter feed ( seems strange to be commenting on a transfer, but its been confirmed its him by other players ):

Joel Lynch ‏ @JJL33

Who the hell says I'm going to millwall, ppl read stuff an think they kno everything, jus paper talk, chill #coyr

Sky Sports News understand we are interested in Alex Bruce.

Not impressed with that if it's true, we need to strengthen our defence..

About the level of signing I'm expecting from this summer, tbh. I don't expect us to be spending very much at all. Free transfers, loans and lower league 'bargains' will be the order of the day, I expect.

About the level of signing I'm expecting from this summer, tbh. I don't expect us to be spending very much at all. Free transfers, loans and lower league 'bargains' will be the order of the day, I expect.

A bit of a meh signing though, heard nothing but bads things about his 'defending' at Leeds.

Leeds get Pearce.. and we get lumbered with their rejects. :D

Vicente staying at Brighton, hope to God they sign somebody else in his class:)

Good news for the Championship, great player to have playing in the League.

How, he's a goalscorer in the lower leagues isn't he? Goalscorers will always go for overflated fees, even if they play in the lower leagues.

Yeah because non league strikers often go for 7 figures despite being prolofic.

How, he's a goalscorer in the lower leagues isn't he? Goalscorers will always go for overflated fees, even if they play in the lower leagues.

so by your logic that makes ross mccormack worth 4 million? 1 million for every division higher than vardy he has proven himself

wrong mate, the club has nothing to do with it, you should know that

it's always the police that decide

oh yeah i know that. probably the most incompetent police force around. the met dont get all shook up when leeds come down here. the yorkshire OB are pretty much just saying "we're rubbish and we cant deal with it"

No you arent, at least, not yet, from the players twitter feed ( seems strange to be commenting on a transfer, but its been confirmed its him by other players ):

Joel Lynch ‏ @JJL33

Who the hell says I'm going to millwall, ppl read stuff an think they kno everything, jus paper talk, chill #coyr

you'd think that the more appropriate answer would just be to sign a new contract. otherwise he's setting himself up for abuse, even if he chooses someone other than us

you'd think that the more appropriate answer would just be to sign a new contract. otherwise he's setting himself up for abuse' date=' even if he chooses someone other than us[/quote']

There is that..

Yes if Leeds didn't want to sell him. It's obvious that Fleetwood don't have to sell him. Goals + no need to sell = over inflated price.

For a million you could get a much more proven goalscorer...

Rickie Lambert cost Southampton about a million for example, and he was prolific 2 levels higher up.

Quite excited to see how McInnes spends the money this summer...especially with Jamo off the books. Bit surprised to see Carey offered a new deal, even though he is a legend. Hopefully it's for virtually 0 money

Why does that surprise you? Imagine the backlash if he'd've let Carey go as he's only 20 or so appearances away from breaking the record. Also, he can still do a job as a motivator when his legs do fail him so I'd fully expect him to have a contract for life.

If we sold our player of the season (and one of the best players in our team) it would be frustrating/gutting/dis-heartening and be typical of Burnley.

Don't Southampton already have aload of full backs?

How about you take Keith Treacy and Rodriguez instead? :D

Trippier is class, we got him at a bargin.

His defending/positioning can be a bit suspect at times, due to him getting forward alot, he can leave us open (but we were used to that from Mears)

But he's got much better touch/control over the ball than Mears (skins players like a winger) he's got some decent speed and a decent cross too. Although he's tiny, he's not afraid to get stuck in and he's a very feisty player, always talking to the defence/keeper (tells players off too, if they do something wrong) and he never stops working all the time he's on the pitch.

He was brought up well through the Man City Academy... one of the best right backs in the League imo.

We must keep hold of Trippier, I believe his value will only go up (he's still got 3 years with us) and we could probably get more money in the future (if we need to sell) than what Southampton will be offering now.

We must keep hold of Trippier, I believe his value will only go up (he's still got 3 years with us) and we could probably get more money in the future (if we need to sell) than what Southampton will be offering now.

Agreed. I could see a lot of people becoming very disillusioned with the club if we were to sell Trippier as well. The Danny Fox debacle was bad enough.

Because he was the only left back we had. (Easton was not even good enough to be a back up)

Eddie Howe had said to the press the week before that there would be no more departures from our small squad.

Then the board accept an offer for Fox (which wasn't much more than we paid for him) citing it was too good to turn down, and that every Burnley player was available at the right price.

This was on top of the Eagles and Mears sale, and not even making an attempt to make the Cork move permanent. Fans bit their tongues (Eagles and Mears were in the final year of their contracts, and we gave McCann big wages to stay) but the Fox sale was one too far.

After all the 'promotion taglines' to get fans to renew their season tickets, then we sold all our better players.

Fans hit out at Fox sale

Two weeks before the season started we were hit with the news that both Chris Eagles and Tyrone Mears had been given permission to speak to Bolton Wanderers. It was met with a mixed response by supporters. Most were disappointed that two regular members of the team were set to leave but there was some understanding given that they'd refused to sign new deals and, one year on, would be allowed to walk for free.

At the time we were already on the lookout for new players with only Ben Mee, on loan from Manchester City, added to the squad, and manager Eddie Howe confirmed that these two players , Eagles and Mears, would be replaced.

He was true to his word. Almost immediately, in fact before the two had signed for Bolton, Mears was replaced by another young Manchester City player in Kieran Trippier and a week later Keith Treacy arrived from Preston North End to take Eagles' place in the squad.

So, we were back to where we started before the Eagles/Mears story broke, still needing to bring players in and with the manager now saying, via a newspaper article, that no more players would be leaving.

That was a relief given the speculation surrounding Martin Paterson but the season kicked off last week with no further sales although, sadly, there had been no more additions to the squad.

Since last season we've lost Steven Thompson, Graham Alexander, Clarke Carlisle, Chris Iwelumo, Eagles and Mears with just the three coming in. I haven't included Kevin McDonald and Remco van der Schaaf given they weren't really part of the squad but even without those two the simple maths tell you that we are three players down.

Still, the natives (the Burnley fans) were hardly restless and a comeback against Watford following a win in a crazy game against Burton Albion had started to fill people with confidence.

That was boosted even further with Howe saying just yesterday that we are in talks with players and they are ongoing.

"I feel we are getting close and talks are ongoing," he said. "We've known who we wanted all summer and it's a case of waiting for the ones we want. I think the foolish thing to do would be to jump and get someone just because they're available."

I wasn't expecting the talks with any of those players to come to fruition today but I sure as hell didn't expect to be revealing on this site that another player had gone.

Then I received a text. It was, shall we say, to the point. "Fox going? What the f***!!!" and there it was on a message board thread that he was on his way to Southampton. I knew they'd made offers for both him and Jay Rodriguez but I certainly wasn't expecting that news today.

I was amazed and I'm angry that another player has been allowed to leave at such a ridiculous time. Earlier I wrote that our squad had been decimated, and that's how it looks to me. Unlike the Eagles and Mears sales, this one has not brought the same sort of understanding from the fans, far from it, and rightly so. The angry response has been staggering with most of the criticism aimed at the board.

The club have responded with a statement that, let's face it, has served no purpose whatsoever and, if anything, has made things worse.

Losing Wade Elliott at the final hour of the transfer window, summed up that transfer window for me. :(

Steve Evans? Still a horrid team with or without him. Stevenage aren't much better either but they could actually be a division above us next year :(

True, I'm just trying to find some good in the situation for you. :(

Are Stevenage still anti football, now Westley has gone to Preston?

Steve Evans? Still a horrid team with or without him. Stevenage aren't much better either but they could actually be a division above us next year :(

I'm from Stevenage, dreading being in the same league as them :(

Archived