The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

Forest statement:

The board of NFFC confirm that they are unable to respond to media speculation regarding the club's future ownership.

The club sale process is being driven by the estate of Nigel Doughty and by Seymour Pierce as previously announced.

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a rumour on Twitter (yeah yeah..) that Matt Mills could be heading back to Reading, as he has a buy back clause in his contract. Surely if theres one club he won't be joining in the summer, it'll be Reading?! I thought he's hated there now?

I saw a rumour on Twitter (yeah yeah..) that Matt Mills could be heading back to Reading, as he has a buy back clause in his contract. Surely if theres one club he won't be joining in the summer, it'll be Reading?! I thought he's hated there now?

We are being heavily linked to "a former player", but given the Gylfi bid has been revealed, it seems even less likely. Yeah, I can't see him returning, because we are about to sign Mariappa and we wouldn't pay that fee for a fourth choice centre back. Mills also would probably turn us down after the way the fans treated him at the Walkers.

Confirmed that the league will be back to 7 subs from next season. \o/

I thought that was confirmed weeks ago? Or was it not official?

Either way switching to 5 subs was such a stupid idea.

I'm confident he'll stay if he does leave it'll be very annoying because he's really working on something atm :@

If Malky does go I can't fault him, I'd want us to use his compo to really go for Holloway!

He's a former Norwich player isn't he? I mean like one who played a load of games for them, not just a handful of matches one season.

I thought that was confirmed weeks ago? Or was it not official?

Either way switching to 5 subs was such a stupid idea.

Football league AGM only just took place this week in portugal, that was the first time they could vote and make it official.

He's a former Norwich player isn't he? I mean like one who played a load of games for them, not just a handful of matches one season.

Yeah exactly, has an affiliation with the club, they are in the Prem etc but I'm sure he'd be mixed because I get the feeling he's really enjoying it here and things are starting to take shape.

yep spent 6 years there. can't argue if he goes.. bigger club, prem and a club he's got an affiliation with. praying he doesn't though. just love the guy despite a few managerial faults which is the norm for a young gaffer

he cant have been that impressed with the shenanigans the owners tried to pull a few weeks ago though :D

I dunno, not sure he'd be that bothered after 1 year here about our colour. i think he'd have been buzzing at a supposed war chest

Norwood has turned down a new contract with United as he want's first team football, should be a good free transfer for someone. Wouldn't be surprised if Burnley were in for him.

I don't think they need another CM do they? Already have Drinkwater/James/Wellens/King.

Pearson does have a thing for young players who can't break through at prem clubs though.

Return to 7 subs for next season :thup:

Good news.

Norwood has turned down a new contract with United as he want's first team football, should be a good free transfer for someone. Wouldn't be surprised if Burnley were in for him.

Not sure if we are/would be interested him. But I wouldn't mind us going in for him, he played well for Coventry at the Turf, sort of player we are missing in our midfield.

I thought he would have signed a new contract at Utd, but I can't blame if he wants first team football (he's been at Utd for years anyway)

Oh, how I'd love this to be true and actually happen...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-want-jack-butland-the-young-859558?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2153416/Southampton-Birmingham-keeper-Jack-Butland.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Mirror journalist also thinks on his Twitter account that Saints may spend between £20m to £25m this summer. Which would be nice...!

Have you seen him play enough to declare you'd love it to be true?

If he was to be sold, we'd be used as a way of getting the price up and another club would come and get him if he's really that good.

Have you seen him play enough to declare you'd love it to be true?

I haven't seen him play at all, but given he is seen by the English coaching team as a potential England keeper of the future and in the Euro squad I think he must have something going for him. I think the fans of most newly promoted teams would be happy with such a player being linked with their club.

If he was to be sold, we'd be used as a way of getting the price up and another club would come and get him if he's really that good.

As you know, Saints only have one keeper (35 year old Kelvin Davis) at the moment, Butland would get a chance to be a regular Premier League keeper relatively soon if he moved to St Mary's. Would he get that at Man Utd or Arsenal? If Alan Nixon is correct Saints have big ambition and resources backing them this season.

I haven't seen him play at all, but given he is seen by the English coaching team as a potential England keeper of the future and in the Euro squad I think he must have something going for him. I think the fans of most newly promoted teams would be happy with such a player being linked with their club.

As you know, Saints only have one keeper (35 year old Kelvin Davis) at the moment, Butland would get a chance to be a regular Premier League keeper relatively soon if he moved to St Mary's. Would he get that at Man Utd or Arsenal? If Alan Nixon is correct Saints have big ambition and resources backing them this season.

So is Andy Carroll, and I only want him to be anywhere near St Marys once next season. Lets not get overly excited by the England squad which is pretty bare.

I didn't say United or Arsenal did I? Great if we think he's good enough and get him, but it's not uncommon for a club to "break ranks" as the paper put it and get used, abused and pick pocketed. Also, forgive me for not hanging on Alan Nixon's every word. You specifically have ridiculed the Daily Mail and other papers in the past regarding transfer gossip and our club, lets not start getting excited by it now that it's positive.

So is Andy Carroll, and I only want him to be anywhere near St Marys once next season. Lets not get overly excited by the England squad which is pretty bare.

We are a newly promoted side, there isn't a single player in the England 23 man squad on football ability (not taking wages or transfer fee into consideration) that I wouldn't want at Saints next season. Carroll, Henderson and even Downing included.

I didn't say United or Arsenal did I?

No, but the Mirror article does.

We'll agree to disagree on Carroll.

As I've mentioned before, things get put in the press for various reasons. Lets not get overly excited by being linked with him. If we are in for him and he has a choice between us, United and Arsenal lets not start pretending we know whats best for him and his people. Enjoy it if it happens, but until it does we should be wary about getting excited about speculation that when put on the other foot we ( and you in particular) get all defensive about.

Butlands very talented, and has a lot of potential.

But very quickly that could be turned into the next frankie fielding, or the next scott loach rather than Joe Hart. Arsenal have had Butland scouted on many a occassion this season, they also have had scouts look at Steele and 2 other un named English GK'ers

He's still only 31! Now a free agent after being released by Newcastle United Jets in Australia. Please, don't all rush at once to sign him.

What?!? Am shocked I didn't hear this massive news, can't believe William Hall didn't make a thread on it

He's still only 31! Now a free agent after being released by Newcastle United Jets in Australia. Please, don't all rush at once to sign him.

He's probably a better bet for you than Emile Heskey. Mainly because he'll be injured for 95% of the time he spends there so any on-field damage caused by his lack of bravery/work rate and general crapness will be minimised!

It was expected to be honest. For all the good things he does, he often left us in the **** because of his eccentricity. He's good, but nowhere near as good as some Leicester fans make out. I'd much rather a solid Wes Morgan at centre half than a hot/cold Sol Bamba. Best of luck to him though :thup:

We're looking at selling out whole defence of last season I think. Peltier, Mills, Bamba and Konchesky can all go. Offloading Mills and Konchesky will be difficult though as their earning £25k+

Archived