The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roy O'Donovan still gives me faith that I could make it as a footballer. As far as I can tell all he brings to the team is work rate and a bit of pace (which he appears unable to utilise correctly anyway), after all he's still managed just the 1 league cup goal (a half yard tap in) since he joined in 2010. He's only just come back from a 3 month lay off anyway.

The one decent striker we have is Freddy Eastwood and he hasn't played once this season as he's been transfer listed for being fat and lazy.

I imagine he'll probably play alongside Platt once he's back fit again but he does a bloody terrible job of directing headers and holding up the football for a target man. So many times I've seen Platt have a free header and just head it straight up into the air to no-one fgs. :D

Cody McDonald is the other possibility but he's also injured atm and seems to be out of favour anyway, I still have no idea whether he has a good first touch or can pass it because he only seems to touch the ball about twice a game. The lad just always wants to be played in-behind and never comes short and we just don't play those balls so it's an utter waste having him in the team.

In fact the only striker who hasn't been injured much is bloody Jukebox. :( We've had to stick McSheffrey up front a bit recently but he's just not the player he used to be, pretty certain we would have let him leave on a free transfer at the back end of last season if he wasn't a local lad who the fans all love.

tl;dr - Cov's strike force is garbage

We've not once scored more than 2 goals a game so I do suggest you change that prediction. We've only managed to score more than 1 goal in a game 4 times all season. :D

• Bottom-of-the-table Coventry, three points adrift and seven points from safety, have lost six of the last eight in league and cup, and won two of the last 14 Championship matches.

• The Sky Blues have lost their last five away league games, and remain the only club without a win on the road in the Championship. They have drawn four and lost 10 on their travels since beating Portsmouth at Fratton Park on 12 April.

• Andy Thorn's side have the poorest attack in the second tier with 20 goals scored in 25 games. They have not scored more than two goals in any game.

That last stat including Jukebox's 9 goals...

We've not once scored more than 2 goals a game so I do suggest you change that prediction. We've only managed to score more than 1 goal in a game 4 times all season. :D

No more Jukebox now either, I think I may just do that. :D

I juat got a sense of a 3-3 draw, when I looked at the 2 teams.

But with my position in the prediction table, my senses have been way off. :lol:

Yeah I always just tend to go for the obvious result with the idea that most games will turn out like that.

Don't like those stats very selective. They could have said we've won 2 of our last 3 games or that we've won our last 2 league games but instead they went for 2 wins in 14.

• Bottom-of-the-table Coventry, three points adrift and seven points from safety, have lost six of the last eight in league and cup, and won two of the last 14 Championship matches.

• The Sky Blues have lost their last five away league games, and remain the only club without a win on the road in the Championship. They have drawn four and lost 10 on their travels since beating Portsmouth at Fratton Park on 12 April.

• Andy Thorn's side have the poorest attack in the second tier with 20 goals scored in 25 games. They have not scored more than two goals in any game.

That last stat including Jukebox's 9 goals...

Whats odd is you were one of the best teams I saw at Fratton Park last season.. We got stuffed that game :(

What happened to him?

I really liked him. We've moved on now but didn't he end up on loan at Colchester? Obviously didn't work out so well..surprising as I thought with a bit of work he'd be pretty good at that level at the least.

Edit: 4 goals in 15 for Colchester accordring to Wiki. Did pretty well then. Surely someone will have him? You have no interest in keeping incase Kebe goes?

He's a bit rubbish. Worst first touch/ball control I've seen in an attacking player at this level. We have Hal Robson-Kanu definitely ahead of him and Jordan Obita who seems to be ahead of him and if nothing else has better control, Jake Taylor or Noel Hunt could play there as well if need be.

That team had King, Gunnarsson and Westwood playing, easily our 3 best players. We were actually playing half decent at the start of the season but we lacked goals and our confidence has just seeped away until we've started playing terribly. Without King and Gunnar our passing football just has no end product and we've ended up hoofing it a lot more as the seasons gone on.

Second bid of £6m bid for Gary Hooper turned down according to reports...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2086498/Celtic-fend-6m-Southampton-bid-Gary-Hooper.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/295584

I think Saints will be back again with another offer before the window closes, possibly including Jason Puncheon in a deal. Although he has an attitude problem, I think Puncheon would do very well in Scotland and has been linked with Celtic in the past...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1274132/Celtic-target-Southampton-duo-Jason-Puncheon-Rickie-Lambert.html?ITO=1490

Second bid of £6m bid for Gary Hooper turned down according to reports...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2086498/Celtic-fend-6m-Southampton-bid-Gary-Hooper.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/295584

I think Saints will be back again with another offer before the window closes, possibly including Jason Puncheon in a deal. Although he has an attitude problem, I think Puncheon would do very well at Celtic.

Can not see him leaving at all in Jan -Would guess Lennon would rather keep Hooper over Rhodes .

Unless it was 8 or 10 m i do not think the board would force a sale .

Hooper has made it clear he was happy to sit down and talk over a new deal, As he is very happy up here .

If he did move on you guys would be getting a fine striker, But i would keep on dreaming as Hooper not leaving .

But i would keep on dreaming as Hooper not leaving.

Comments like that have a habit of coming back to bite you... ;) Trust me I know! :D

Even if Saints don't get Hooper, I'm just pleased that he is the level of player the club are looking at. If not Hooper then I think Saints will sign another quality striker before the window closes. Not every team is able to turn down bids of £6m when offered for one of their players.

i think i'd be worried you're willing to chuck 6 million at someone who's worth a little over half of that. you can have lee naylor for £2 if you want

Very good the way the current English market is £8/10m is a very realistic fee .

Jordan Rhodes - been valued at £5/6m

Nicky Maynard Bristol City rejected £5/6 m from Leicester City in the summer .

Hooper out scored the donkey that is Andy Carroll when he was in the championship.

Hooper got 19 goals in 35 championship games with a relegation struggling team. Carroll got 17 in 39 with the runnaway champions.

Rangers want £6 or 7m for Jelavic for me Hooper is far better would be looking at more .

A player that scores you goals will always move for massive amounts just look at a Certain Darren Bent etc .

14Matthew Le God If a side was to offer Southampton £4m for Adam Lallana ,who is one of your clubs best player what would you value him at?

Chop you just bitter at the fact we stole Adam Matthews and Joe Ledley for next to **** all off you .

Btw your board must be thick to let a talent like Adam Matthews walk away.

The lad will be in the prem with a big club in a year or two for a bumper fee.

i think i'd be worried you're willing to chuck 6 million at someone who's worth a little over half of that. you can have lee naylor for £2 if you want

You think Hooper is worth £3m now? Celtic signed him from Scunthorpe for £2.4m. He'd never leave if they only get a £600k profit.

Whilst at Scunthorpe he outscored Newcastle's Andy Carroll in the last season he was in England. Though I'm not sure that means much... ;)

Matthew Le God If a side was to offer Southampton £4m for Adam Lallana ,who is one of your clubs best player what would you value him at?

It is Chopra_Hill saying Hooper is worth £3m, not me! I agree with you that he is worth more than £3m.

In any case, Lallana is potentially four and a half months away from the English Premier League. If Hooper stays at Celtic he'll never play in the English Premier League, nor get the exposure he'd need to play for England. Based on Celtic's wage structure on the always reliable FM12, I think Saints could offer him good terms aswell.

Do you mind if we don't?

Him and Derbyshire both caused us problems earlier in the season though. :D They going to play today?

Dunno.

Miller is injured, but Dexter Blackstock may be fit again, and Marlon Harewood is in the squad.

yep, til they can sort out the permanent deal apparently. not sure what's holding it up

Ah ok, I'd have been happy with the deal being held up untill after this weekend... but you have to go and get him on loan! :p

Well it look's like, no matter what, Middlesbrough were not going to let him miss out on todays game. :D

Do you reckon Hooper would cut it in the PL?

I think he would score goals at any level he has in England working his way up the leagues . He has in Scotland for us and in Europe , The lad was born to score goals i do not think England have a better poacher than Hooper he could easily score goals within the prem.

If people like Grant Holt , Steve Morison , Shane Long can all make the step up i have no doubts in my mind that Hooper can.

£6m on Celtic's Gary Hooper, if true and it happens it would smash Saints' transfer record currently held by...Rory Delap in 2001 for £4m!

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Transfer-gossip-Southampton-consider-Gary-Hooper-Celtic-striker-but-fear-will-cost-6million-article853215.html

I cringe every time I see Delap as our record signing on FM. We should pay those £6m for Hooper just to erase Delap's name from the game.

The Jukebox is on the bench for Boro.

Interesting choice in goal, we were all expecting our former goal keeper Danny Coyne to be playing.

But it says Ripley on the team sheet, never heard of him.. but I just did a quick google search

'18 year old Connor Ripley plays as a goalkeper for Middlesbrough in the English football league Championship, he's the son of former player Stuart Ripley.'

I see that he's played for the England U'19's, is this his first start in a League game?

(Former B****rd Rovers player too :D)

If he has any nerves, they will show with Paterson closing him down at every chance he gets.

No Morton, the reason Matthews left is simply down to 1 man: Dave Jones, probably same with Ledley as well, they should have gone to a Prem club, not sure if Ledley could cut it in the Prem, only reason Matthews moves is to join his mate, and get paid well to play against Park footballers week in week out .

All Millwall against Brum but we only go and score and then them have a player sent off :D Everything going swimmingly so far, results wise.

And pretty much that exact post again :D

Millwall fans throwing so much stuff the linesman had to get the kickoff delayed for a little bit so police/stewards could sort it out according to radio.

Archived