The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can all have some of our players, our squad is currently far too big and we need to get rid of a load of players.

Franck Moussa, Martyn Waghorn, Steve Howard, Matt Oakley, Dany N'Guessan, Conrad Logan, Yann Kermorgant, Moreno, Tom Kennedy or Bruno Berner, anyone?

I'll take Waghorn, Berner, Oakley and Kermorgant :)

As it stands we have 17 senior pro's of which 5 are out injured (and have been all season) plus 10 inexperienced youngsters (of which the most important 1 is out injured) as our squad.

Some of our most important players been injured all season :(

We have

Camp, Smith, Darlow

Gunter, Moloney, Freeman

Cohen

Morgan, Chambers, Lynch, Watson, Lascelles

Anderson, McCleary

McGugan, Majewski, Greening, Boateng, Reid, Moussi,

Miller, Derbyshire, Garner, Tudgay, McGoldrick, Findley, Blackstock

We also have a few other youngsters too. We have way too many strikers and not enough wide midfielders.

I'll take Waghorn, Berner, Oakley and Kermorgant :)

As it stands we have 17 senior pro's of which 5 are out injured (and have been all season) plus 10 inexperienced youngsters (of which the most important 1 is out injured) as our squad.

Some of our most important players been injured all season :(

I still think Kermorgant could be a great player for us, he's proven to be a decent player in Ligue 1 which is in the top 5 ranked leagues in Europe and you would expect well above Championship level, but he never seems to have been given a fair chance here.

you can understand why, to some extent. honestly i don't reckon your fans would give him a chance (and ours wouldn't either if he'd done something similar)

and if your clubs fans have written a song about you called "totally **** from the start" you probably wouldn't feel much passion for the badge, funny as it is

I still think Kermorgant could be a great player for us, he's proven to be a decent player in Ligue 1 which is in the top 5 ranked leagues in Europe and you would expect well above Championship level, but he never seems to have been given a fair chance here.

Is he the guy who missed that very casual penalty in the Championship play offs a couple of seasons ago?

I read that as league 1 at first :D Wondered if you should be taking some meds and forgot

you can understand why, to some extent. honestly i don't reckon your fans would give him a chance (and ours wouldn't either if he'd done something similar)

and if your clubs fans have written a song about you called "totally **** from the start" you probably wouldn't feel much passion for the badge, funny as it is

I know and I feel for him! He made one mistake and you just know some fans can't get past that. Funny how Waghorn doesn't get blamed for missing his penalty as well though! I always thought he looked like a gifted player who just needed time to settle under Pearson. Definitely seems like a player who would fit in our current style better than the one under Pearson a la Gallagher or King as well.

Is he the guy who missed that very casual penalty in the Championship play offs a couple of seasons ago?

Yes, but there is a video on youtube of him scoring a similarly taken penalty to perfection. He just mishit it, which anyone can do, he actually outwitted Marshall and sent him diving to the floor and if he'd hit it cleanly he'd have scored.

Yeah but he didn't though and that's where the problem comes from. If a player misses a penalty after taking it normally and misses then I wouldn't mind. I think the problem is that your fans are annoyed in the manner of which he took the penalty. Fans don't like it if something that is against the norm, doesn't happen. Hope that's explained well.

I know and I feel for him! He made one mistake and you just know some fans can't get past that. Funny how Waghorn doesn't get blamed for missing his penalty as well though! I always thought he looked like a gifted player who just needed time to settle under Pearson. Definitely seems like a player who would fit in our current style better than the one under Pearson a la Gallagher or King as well.

Yeah that's why I said we'd take him. Would fit our style and team a whole lot better than Roy O'Donovan or Clive Platt (when fit).

Take a guess -

:D can't get tired of that video!

Classic! :lol:

I thought he had left for some reason.

I watched that game live on Sky and I couldn't believe what I had just seen.. in a PLAY OFF GAME! :D

Pearson looked well angry after that penalty, I thought he got transfer listed in the summer, or was he told he could leave or something?

Yeah but he didn't though and that's where the problem comes from. If a player misses a penalty after taking it normally and misses then I wouldn't mind. I think the problem is that your fans are annoyed in the manner of which he took the penalty. Fans don't like it if something that is against the norm, doesn't happen. Hope that's explained well.

But what about if a player went to take a penalty "normally" and also mishit it? I really don't think there's any difference. I don't see how he should be blamed for the way he tried to take a penalty, which if he hadn't mishit it would have gone in.

Either way, it was one mistake and one which Waghorn also made, 18 months ago, I can't believe some fans can't move on.

Football fans are morons. Really can't stand 90% of the Coventry fans and it seems like the Leicester fans are no better.

As long as you show a little "passion" and as long as you're not a "fancy Dan" with the ball, then you're a hero. That's all 90% of our fans seem to care about, not actually how good a player is. :rolleyes:

As long as you show a little "passion" and as long as you're not a "fancy Dan" with the ball, then you're a hero. That's all 90% of our fans seem to care about, not actually how good a player is. :rolleyes:

Most British fans to be fair. I remember we had a player called Fabrice Fernandes, one of the most gifted players we have ever had but he got ruined by fans because he wore an alice band, gloves and a face like a slapped arse.

Anyway, should be a good match tomorrow! Thoughts?

Most British fans to be fair. I remember we had a player called Fabrice Fernandes, one of the most gifted players we have ever had but he got ruined by fans because he wore an alice band, gloves and a face like a slapped arse.

Anyway, should be a good match tomorrow! Thoughts?

I still think we might take a few more games to get going. I can see the potential in our side, but it's clear they've not really gelled together, our defence seems to spend half the time arguing with each other and clearly haven't got the offside trap sorted between them yet and our midfield doesn't seem to cover each other and know each others games yet. So I'm not expecting much from us given that you've made such a flying start, but we'll see.

Well we haven't got anyone in our side capable of breaking an offside trap with pace alone so you should be OK on that front. Form says we should be confident but we will stuff this run up (10 wins in a row now) somewhere along the line and that will most probably be tomorrow.

I really want to be positive and say I'm confident that if we play as well as we have so far we should take all 3 points but I guarantee I'll have egg all over my face if I do.

So I'll plump for a draw. Which I'll take away from home.

West Ham should be announcing the signing of Brian Montenegro on a season long loan soon. All I know about him is that he is an 18 year old striker from Paraguay who plays for Tacuary.

When I brought up you being interested in Jukebox you said you didn't need him as you had several good strikers.

I don't think I said it quite like that. Saints do need another striker as Guly Do Prado has replaced Chamberlain on the wing, Forte isn't great and Barnard may be in jail in a months time. Leaving only Lambert and Connolly.

I can't see that happening really. Doesn't really offer anything different or significantly better than any of the current strikers. He gets linked because he is Southampton born, a Saints fan and came from Saints academy originally.

Yeah you didn't word it like that. My memory is **** :(

That said your point still stands because Waghorn is basically a worse version of Jukebox.

Bring on the Saints tomorrow! Its not teams on a winning streak that worry me when we play them, its the ones on a losing streak that get my nerves going :D That run has gotta come to an end some time! I reckon we'll beat 'ya :p

P.S. Could easily end up with egg on my face now...

He's just received his first call up for the U-21's after a poor season and now finding himself unwanted at his club. Not entirely sure why he's now just been called up tbh! So far all he has are two U19 caps.

Anyway ignoring your tongue in cheek comments Waghorn basically is a worse version of Jukebox. Very similar players but the difference is Jukebox is actually very strong and pretty good in the air and can turn his man very effectively unlike Waghorn.

Bye Bye Sam :(

Have no idea where he'll fit into West Ham's side, seeing as Carew, Cole and Piqueonne are better strikers. Unless the big man little man idea is what Big Sam wants? Baldock's a pacey little thing, stronger than you'd expect from the size of him. Almost like a much-lower-league-but-when-he-was-good Michael Owen at times. Would be amazing to see him in the PL but i'm not totally sure he's quite good enough for up there. Who knows? Fair play to him for getting such a good move. He'll be missed at MK, first ever academy player.

Bye Bye Sam :(

Have no idea where he'll fit into West Ham's side, seeing as Carew, Cole and Piqueonne are better strikers. Unless the big man little man idea is what Big Sam wants? Baldock's a pacey little thing, stronger than you'd expect from the size of him. Almost like a much-lower-league-but-when-he-was-good Michael Owen at times. Would be amazing to see him in the PL but i'm not totally sure he's quite good enough for up there. Who knows? Fair play to him for getting such a good move. He'll be missed at MK, first ever academy player.

Judging from Allardyce's comments he will be playing off one of the big men as we have no pace in our front line at all.

Archived