The 2011-2012 Manchester United thread - We've got our trophy back

BBB

Young easily our best player. His crossing was excellent. Can see him fitting right into the team with no problems.

Park being deadly again when running through the middle. With Young, Nani, Valencia holding the wing positions. Would like Park to play centre mid. I prefer him there then out wide.

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovely goal by Park at the end there.

Will be interesting to see if Macheda gets a run this year. I've not been impressed particularly with him so far (I thought he got a bit lucky with "those" goals that made his rep) but he looked pretty composed with those two finishes last night.

He was a bit lucky with "those" goals, but whenever he's played with the full squad he's made an impact.

Even Hernandez looked poor in some of those Carling Cup games, it's not fair to judge anyone on them (not saying you were).

Nice run out for the lads. Young looks good. Nani and Berba didn't look that sharp, but that will come with more games.

Fabio impressed me the most first half, Macheda the second.

A whole week until the next game, arrrgh!

Sneijder deal done according to the Mirror, £190k pw. Would love this to be true :)

Don't toy with me. :)

Please be true.

Seems like we've cloned Valencia and stuck it on the left.

Think he is a little more direct than Valencia, more willing to take on a man with skill.

Will enjoy having both on the wings

He was a bit lucky with "those" goals, but whenever he's played with the full squad he's made an impact.

Even Hernandez looked poor in some of those Carling Cup games, it's not fair to judge anyone on them (not saying you were).

Yeah not judging him, would love him to come good - just not sure he has really to any effect yet.

People believe we would pay someone £190k a week now?

Rooney's got to be close to that, no?

I hear alot about fees and wages, people not wanting us to pay x amount. It has never really bothered how much we spend, its not my money. As long as we wins games im happy.

If SAF is happy to pay the amount then thats ok by me.

Carrick, for all his detractors, is a quality player. The fact that he hasn't been able to handle playing against the most dominant midfield of possibly all time shouldn't take away from the fact that against nearly everyone else he's often brilliant.

He has his quiet patches of course (when he's off form, he is a bit of a waste of space on the pitch admittedly), but on top form he's as good a "deep lying playmaker" (to use FM terms) as anyone else in the Premier League.

Watching the highlights, Owen goal looked well worked up, likewise with the Park goal along with a beautiful finish. Kiko took both his goals well, glad to see him scoring even if it's just pre-season, hope he gets some gametime this year.

Commentators were annoying though :D

I like American commentators :D. Some of the terminology is a bit baffling, but I love the enthusiasm and excitement they give off - some of the commentators over this side of the pond could learn a thing or two in that regard!

I can tell I'm not going to like Ashley Young, in an unfair, crazy grudge sorta way. I guess it was going to happen to whoever took over the 18 shirt really, I can only forgive seeing someone in Solskjaer's shirt because it's one of the twins. I think he'll be highly effective and allow Nani to play on the right more often, and generally just a good player for us but the second I saw him wearing 18 with his shirt hanging half out I could tell we wouldn't get along :D.

Glad to see Macheda back, he should really be another who makes it here. Evans was really sharp and should get a mention, managed to take what was a very easy night and step up fairly often and take advantage of the fact he didn't have much to do. Fabio was excellent going forward but a bit off the pace at the back, Rooney's passing was sublime, his overhead kicks not so much :D

I like American commentators :D. Some of the terminology is a bit baffling, but I love the enthusiasm and excitement they give off - some of the commentators over this side of the pond could learn a thing or two in that regard!

Yeah, their enthuasiasm is awesome and in all honesty I'd rather listen to them than Andy Gray (not that we'll be doing much of that anyway) but just strange sayings like "IT's ONE-OH RED DEVILS!" :D You never here anyone over here say that, it's strange. :D

I can tell I'm not going to like Ashley Young, in an unfair, crazy grudge sorta way. I guess it was going to happen to whoever took over the 18 shirt really, I can only forgive seeing someone in Solskjaer's shirt because it's one of the twins. I think he'll be highly effective and allow Nani to play on the right more often, and generally just a good player for us but the second I saw him wearing 18 with his shirt hanging half out I could tell we wouldn't get along :D.

Glad to see Macheda back, he should really be another who makes it here. Evans was really sharp and should get a mention, managed to take what was a very easy night and step up fairly often and take advantage of the fact he didn't have much to do. Fabio was excellent going forward but a bit off the pace at the back, Rooney's passing was sublime, his overhead kicks not so much :D

On those two bolded things:

Young and Nani on the wings give us a lot of options, not least because they can both play either wing or through the middle. If we are playing with Rooney behind a striker we'll be back to a pretty damn fluid front line. If we were to get Sneijder we could have a ridiculously fluid front line, albeit by dropping Hernandez, kind of a reminder of the 2007/08 squad :drool:

EDIT: forgot the second one :D Rooney's passing is starting to become one of his most important assets, especially in the role he's playing. He's weighting his cross field passes so well, right into the run of whoever is coming up the wing.

I like American commentators :D. Some of the terminology is a bit baffling

Just wait till you here the rules of the "tournament":

Herbalife World Football Challenge trophy.

It could be one of 13 teams taking part in this festival of football for there is a surfeit of soccer from east to west in the next few weeks with the crème de la crème from both sides of the Atlantic in residence. The full cast list is City, United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, C.D. Guadalajara, Club America, Sporting Lisbon, d from Major League Soccer, New England Revolution, LA Galaxy, Vancouver Whitecaps, Chicago Fire and Philadelphia Union.

Three for a win in regulation time, two points for a penalty kick win and one point for a penalty kick loss. Teams will be awarded an additional point for each goal up to three during the regulation 90 minutes of play regardless of whether they win or lose.

Only in America...

Oldish news I guess but what do you guys think of Sir Alex's quotes regarding Sniejder. I'd be very surprised if he signed now.

Ferguson, however, has rejected all suggestions of a move for Sneijder. "I keep reading about this, there's absolutely nothing at all to that [reports of United's interest in the player]," he told ESPN Soccernet Press Pass. "First of all I don't think Inter are prepared to sell him anyway.

I would take anything anybody, including SAF, says to the press about transfers with a pinch of salt.

You guys should read the WS thread over on Redcafe, it's goes from jizzing in your pants to cutting your wrists in the matter of minutes depending on what some idiot writs on twitter.

Didn't SAF say a few months before we signed De Gea that it was just press speculation?

Was a bit more vague than that - 'the press in Italy have me signing two Italians tomorrow; we're always linked with players', of which the first bit of his latest quotes is somewhat reminiscent. The second part is a bit more specific, and would suggest that we're struggling to negotiate a price. Question is whether we turn our attentions elsewhere, or engage in another bout of August 31st brinkmanship. I'm wondering whether Fergie's suggestion of Scholes' replacement coming through the ranks is indicative of the latter.

And reports have emerged in Spain on Tuesday night claiming a transfer has already been agreed with Atletico for De Gea.However, after watching his side book their place in the last four of the Champions League, Ferguson refused to give credence to the reports.

"On Italian television I am supposed to be signing two players from Italy tonight, so I can place that story along with those," he said.

"There is always speculation about who we are going to sign. So many people throw names at me. I can't answer it."

http://www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/detail/item608790/Ferguson-cools-De-Gea-speculation/

EDIT: Or what RBS said...

Linked with Hamsik today but I can't remember the source and cba going to find it so we'll just take it as bollocks.

Was caughtoffside or something iirc :D

Lets just imagine that everything SAF has said so far about Sneijder, Nasri and a new player has been true, anyone fancy predicting who the midfielder will be that we buy? Just thinking about it not many names are springing into my head.

A bit surprised that we've not been linked more with some more left-field names, although I suppose the Nasri and Modric stories have been big news since the start of the summer, while there was something of a hangover of Sneijder from last year. I'd've expected to see more names like Hamsik, Dzagoev, Pjanic and Pastore.

Quite in here today.

Coming round to the idea of not signing anyone for centre mid at all. Give Ando the game time and get the youngsters coming through. Pogba mainly.

Think even without anymore signings we still have the best squad in the league and can beat anyone in Europe over two legs except Barca, which I'm ok with. Our tactics in Europe seem to be spot on just now, again except when we play Barca, so think we should be looking at least the semis again.

This is going to sound ridiculous, but something I've pondered over for a while and think it may make a nice debate.

Would it be effective putting Rooney in the midfield role, should we not sign anybody? He certainly has the energy and danger when going forwards, but he's always naturally defended more for us than he really should do.

I mean we're pretty top heavy with the amount of choice we have up front. I can't be the only one who has considered this?

At first thought it sounds stupid, and probably is, but IMO he has the right characteristics for midfield, and we sure could use his passing ability there more than we can when he's further up the field.

I'll prepare to be smashed.

Archived