The 2011-2012 Manchester United thread - We've got our trophy back

BBB

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would prefer love Modric or Sneijder as they are more capable of playing as a CM in 4-4-2 whereas Nasri is more accomplished behind the striker or on the wing.

Well that's a load of squirrel bollocks right there.

Well that's a load of squirrel bollocks right there.

Explain?

Modric is the only of the three wuth any 442 experience, and Nasri has played 90% of his Arsenal games out wide and the other 10% or so 'off the striker'. Where as Sniejder has always been a no. 10.

Young better than Nani? This place :D

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis says he has offered Manchester United one million euros to play his side in a friendly game.

The proposal - worth £880,000 - is for United to play at the San Paolo stadium in Naples.

The Serie A outfit want to raise their international profile and hope the English champions will accept the invitation.

Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday, De Laurentiis said: "I have offered Manchester United one million euros to come here and play a friendly against Napoli. I am awaiting a reply.

"My aim is to bring Napoli to be among the top teams, not just in Italy, but at international level.

"There is a lot of work to be done."

+1mil.

Rafael Leao is still here it seems. Played for the reserves and scored in a 4-1 win. Morrison scored another wondergoal apparently. Will Keane and Danny Drinkwater got the others.

Stand out players in the first half were Brady and Drinkwater for me, and then in the 2nd half, (which I'm pretty sure was the majority of the youth cup team), Morison, Cole and Pogba all impressed me. First time I've seen Pogba in the flesh and the guy is a bloody animal :D.

Nice to have a new thread.

Quite excited by the Jones signing (Am I the only one?) as I love the idea that we may now have the long standing English Center back pairing for the next X years.

Young also a shrewd signing, although he might not be the first on anyones list to sign this summer, he should prove to be an excellent player for us.

De Gea is a little bit of a gamble, he's certainly got the talent, but the big fee involved does concern me. He's young, so is bound to at least make a few mistakes. As long as the fans don't immediately get on his back I think he will prove to be as good if not better than VDS and could well be our no1 for the next 10 or even 20 seasons (If he doesn't suddenly want to move to Barca or Madrid)

As for a central midfielder, Sneijder does smack me as being Veron mk2 at the moment. If we get him there's going to be one hell of a fee on his head and an awfully large expectation for him to perform from the outset. Nasri's more likely to go to Citeh and Modric to Chelsea, so god knows what's going to here. We'll have to wait and see.

I'm quite excited about the coming season I have to say!

I think its meant to be an all star team of every club but United. An all star eleven including United players could hardly take on United in a match.

Amazing, skimread the text and managed to miss pretty much everything it said ffs :D Screw the Charity Shield (or whatever it's called these days) and get in one of these :thup:

That's classic iceman, although that team is shocking. Carrol and Adam FFS.

I have never been so happy with a Liverpool signing as Adam, terrified we would sign him.

Anyone got a link to the reserve highlights? Seen they are playing a friendly up in scotland but after a google search Ayr is too far away From me to see the game. Would have liked to see the youngsters play. None of the pre season friendlys are on MUTV.

He has been given the No.1 shirt for the US tour, which can change for the league reg.

Think Sneijder would fit nicely, read that he played in a midfield two at Ajax and plays deeper at Inter.

de Gea has been confirmed as no 1 on the fishal site, though it's changed from the original post to say it's not necessarily for the league.

Latest on Sneijder seems to be that Kiko accidentally tweeted (eurgh) that he hoped to see him in training, while SAF has told the Scandanavian Supporters Branch that Inter are refusing to sell.

Explain?

Modric is the only of the three wuth any 442 experience, and Nasri has played 90% of his Arsenal games out wide and the other 10% or so 'off the striker'. Where as Sniejder has always been a no. 10.

His best form came when he was playing centrally. Hence, why I only highlighted the part where you said he was more accomplished on the wing. He's much more effective playing in a more central position.

Think Nasri best form did come when he was playing central, but it was with two players behind him. So he didn't have to worry about tracking back or defending.

Although things could change this season, we played a 442 with Rooney in a sort of free role dropping deeper. The same position Nasri would want without the dropping deeper. Can't see him playing in a midfield two because of the extra defensive duties that come with it. And if we did change to a three then that would mean either dropping Hernandez or moving Rooney, two things I don't want.

Nasri was best in the middle when he was playing Fabregas's role, not quite in the hole, but not quite CM ala Modric, which is where we'd want him.

Sneijder is the more rounded player of the lot of them, but I think he may be a little too "in the hole" than the "creative CM" of Modric or the half-and-half of Nasri, meaning he could well get in Rooney's way, pushing him further up and not giving Hernandez the opportunity to stretch the backline.

We'll see.

I'm also proper chuffed with Jones. Him and Smalling :thup:

Always possible De Gea will wear #13, meaning Lindegaard could have the 1 permanently.

Explain?

Nasri is better through the middle. So golfpunk is right. Squirrel bollocks.

Nasri is better through the middle. So golfpunk is right. Squirrel bollocks.

The post he quoted didn't dispute that, it claimed he was better off the wing or cutting in rather than as a 2 man midfield which is true.

Nasri was best in the middle when he was playing Fabregas's role, not quite in the hole, but not quite CM ala Modric, which is where we'd want him.

Sneijder is the more rounded player of the lot of them, but I think he may be a little too "in the hole" than the "creative CM" of Modric or the half-and-half of Nasri, meaning he could well get in Rooney's way, pushing him further up and not giving Hernandez the opportunity to stretch the backline.

We'll see.

I'm also proper chuffed with Jones. Him and Smalling :thup:

Always possible De Gea will wear #13, meaning Lindegaard could have the 1 permanently.

Agree with everything there ham except the "creative CM of Modric" part. He's more of a "keep things ticking in possession" kind of player, 11 assists in 3 seasons is not very creative.

on another note, so happy the forums are back. Had to read Redcafe to get my Utd discussion fix. and some of the theories and opinions on there are unreal.

some of the best ones:

Ashley Young is going to play centre mid because he was given No.18

Sneijder wont come to us because we gave Young No.18 (he would want it instead, as he admires Scholes)

Our summer spending is done, because we never sign players after the pre season tour starts.

They also have Jones playing all over the pitch, so abit like there in someways. :)

Agree with everything there ham except the "creative CM of Modric" part. He's more of a "keep things ticking in possession" kind of player, 11 assists in 3 seasons is not very creative.

You don't have to have the final pass to be creative tbf. And even then, have you seen the strikers Spurs have had for the past couple of years? :D Not likely to get many assists playing with them

You don't have to have the final pass to be creative tbf.

that is true, but I think we have enough players like that in Fletch, Carrick and Ando. We need someone who is going to score and assist team mates from the middle of the park.

Its what been missing for some years now, unless giggs plays there. But he cant play 40+ games a season.

Although Modric is a really good player, I would rather give Ando the game time than spend the money spurs will rape us for.

That much is quite right, the money Spurs will be holding out for after the past few weeks will be astronomical. Can't see Levy backing down on this unless Chelsea offer them the world tbf. Would be interesting to see if a deal could be done with Berba heading back as has been mooted, not that I'm advocating it.

That much is quite right, the money Spurs will be holding out for after the past few weeks will be astronomical. Can't see Levy backing down on this unless Chelsea offer them the world tbf. Would be interesting to see if a deal could be done with Berba heading back as has been mooted, not that I'm advocating it.

I would be, thats the sort Modric transfer I would be happy with.

[h=2]MANCHESTER UNITED were close to sealing the £35million transfer of Wesley Sneijder last night - just as SunSport predicted.[/h]

United chief executive David Gill was ironing out the final details with representatives of the midfield star and Inter Milan.

Have SunSport got one right?

Probably not.

Inter confirmed no official bids have yet been received. I suspect negotiations are on-going and a formal offer will be submitted once all involved are satisfied.

What we don't want is for Inter to accept a bid and publically announce this, as I think there are other teams out there who will offer more wages than us. Has to kept under wraps for this to happen.

Supposedly Gill hasn't travelled to America yet to finalise the paperwork. He's got until Friday it would seem, as he is due to be in the U.S at the weekend.

Inter confirmed no official bids have yet been received. I suspect negotiations are on-going and a formal offer will be submitted once all involved are satisfied.

What we don't want is for Inter to accept a bid and publically announce this, as I think there are other teams out there who will offer more wages than us. Has to kept under wraps for this to happen.

Supposedly Gill hasn't travelled to America yet to finalise the paperwork. He's got until Friday it would seem, as he is due to be in the U.S at the weekend.

I still can't see this one being a goer however many times I read it, would be a great transfer but can't see it happening.

When did Nasri play as the middle one (as in, mentality) of the central 3? I'm sure when central he had Wilshire and Song behind him, or others occupying those positions.

Can't see us buying Nasri or Sneijder and one of those playing in a 442 alongside Carrick or somebody. Modric is the only one I could see us playing there.

Anyone who thinks we'd line up with -

rooney - hernandez

young - sneijder / nasri - carrick - nani

Is surely having a laugh.

On a side note, what time is ko for the match tonight / tomorrow morning?

I would be, thats the sort Modric transfer I would be happy with.

We'd have no cover for our strikers then, not good cover anyway. Who knows what Macheda or Welbeck will do. Other than them we have Michael Owen. It is important Berbatov stays. Can't blame him for wanting to leave (if he does) though.

When did Nasri play as the middle one (as in, mentality) of the central 3? I'm sure when central he had Wilshire and Song behind him, or others occupying those positions.

Can't see us buying Nasri or Sneijder and one of those playing in a 442 alongside Carrick or somebody. Modric is the only one I could see us playing there.

Anyone who thinks we'd line up with -

rooney - hernandez

young - sneijder / nasri - carrick - nani

Is surely having a laugh.

On a side note, what time is ko for the match tonight / tomorrow morning?

My thoughts exactly, Owen extending his contract and Young's signing was surely a sign that were sticking with a 4-4-2 of sorts, which Sniejder would theoretically struggle to fit into.

Asisst are a poor metric for measuring a players impact, I think clubs use key passes and chances created instead.

John answered for me. Also made a good point about Ando. If he can have the sort of season Nani had last season, we'll all be asking Luka-who?

I meant he played as the higher up, but he's not a dedicated AM like I believe Sneijder to be, he dropped deeper, moved out wide, may just be the compact way that Arsenal play that gave me that impression tbh.

Your second point is what I was trying to get at really, and why I think Modric would be my first choice.

Never realised the bbc were showing it. Sky +'ing that badboy. :cool:

Where? I can't see it on my Sky+ app.

Fixtures

14/07/11. New England Revolution v Man Utd. K/O: 01.00hrs BST

21/07/11. Seattle v Man Utd. K/O: 03.00hrs BST

23/07/11. Chicago Fire v Man Utd. K/O: 22.00hrs BST

28/07/11. MLS All-Stars v Man Utd. K/O: 01.30hrs BST

30/07/11. Barcelona v Man Utd. K/O: 16.00hrs BST

All games will be shown live on MUTV.

BBC has it down as 1am, next game a week later at 3am.
Where? I can't see it on my Sky+ app.

I think i've misunderstood his post. He's probably referring to the BBC Sport site rather than the BBC channels. :(

Looking forward to the game tonight, although I wont be staying up to watch it. Will sky+ it can catch it in the morning.

Nice to see young get started and see the returning loanees play too.

Can't wait for the u21's to join up.

It's been a long summer!

I really like it. Especially as I'm often working when games are played and they show them on midnight the same day or the day after, for at least a couple of years I saw more games on those showings than live. Also catch the occasional reserve game which is nice too

Is MUTV worth getting? I'm considering getting Sky Sports for the first time this season, despite my dislike of Sky.

I get it every year for pre season, but keep it going for a few months as some of the stuff is good. Think I will keep it going all year this time and get some reserve action too.

How much is the subscription to MUTV?

£6 a month

What games do they show midnight the same day? All of them? That would be pretty good.

It's a fiver a month isn't it?

Think it is all of them yeah.

Archived