LAUREN's Arsenal Thread 2011/2012 - 125 Years of Greatness *sponsored by being BRILLIANT*

goon

True but the counter argument is wage structure, those are top players demanding big expensive contracts, would the board allow the subsequent outlay in wages for those transfers to go through?

It's like SJ just said, did he blow it or was he obstructed? I simply don't know cause I don't know the facts. I find it more likely that he was obstructed rather than Wenger just lost all his managerial and footballing capabilities.

Diaby is on £60k per week, that says it all. AW lost everything he had when Dein left the club which says a lot more about Dein than Wenger.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fair enough, all the players seemed to be available, I think the Podolski deal ran into problems but it was widely reported Mata was available before he ended up at Chelsea.

I like how Wenger has his own valuations, he decides this player is worth X amount .... but he's the only one doing that :D If he'd just spent an extra 3 or 4m on Cahill he'd have had him the 1/2 season before instead of Mertesacker. I think Parker would have been a great signing

Exactly. Wenger tries to dictate to other managers how much their own players should be available for then throws a hissy fit when Barca do the same thing to him over Fabregas.

Wenger is a loser and will not win another thing as AFc boss.

Fair enough, all the players seemed to be available, I think the Podolski deal ran into problems but it was widely reported Mata was available before he ended up at Chelsea.

I like how Wenger has his own valuations, he decides this player is worth X amount .... but he's the only one doing that :D If he'd just spent an extra 3 or 4m on Cahill he'd have had him the 1/2 season before instead of Mertesacker. I think Parker would have been a great signing

I have it on good authority Bolton wanted £18m+ for Cahill which is an obscene amount of money. It wasnt a case of 3 or 4 million pound more than we value him it was nearly 10

Wenger cannot be judged a loser. He is the most successful Arsenal manager ever FFS!

He just blamed the pitch for that debacle at Sunderland ffs. I don't care what he's won before now, he's lost it.

For the record, GG won a similar number of titles and cups to AW even though Le Prof has been at it twice as long.

@Sy13

If Wenger was sacked/left the club, who would you want as manager and how long would you give him?

Mourinho, Pep, Rijkaard, Klopp. Any of those.

I'd give them at least 2 seasons to make us into genuine title challengers then move them on if they can't improve us from where we are now (not exactly difficult!)

He just blamed the pitch for that debacle at Sunderland ffs. I don't care what he's won before now, he's lost it.

For the record, GG won a similar number of titles and cups to AW even though Le Prof has been at it twice as long.

GG won 6 trophys in 8 years, Wenger has 7 in 15 years inc. none for 7. He was successful for the first half of his current reign.

GG won 6 trophys in 8 years, Wenger has 7 in 15 years inc. none for 7. He was successful for the first half of his current reign.

Thank you for proving my point. GG also guided us to an unbeaten season apart from one game, something that should have been the case in 03/04 if it wasn't for Pires diving over the defenders leg against Pompey.

Rijkaard is the most realistic candidate but even them would he join?

Zzzzzzz.

Why is it every time someone asks for names and then gets a response they then trot out the utterly predictable "but would they come" line????

I have it on good authority Bolton wanted £18m+ for Cahill which is an obscene amount of money. It wasnt a case of 3 or 4 million pound more than we value him it was nearly 10

I also heard they wanted 18m but then you let that go .. everyone did ... following 1/2 season you bid that 'derisory amount' and it gets knocked back (reported to be 8m +++ (clauses) and time ticks on before finally going to Chelsea for what, 8m? If you'd gone in at 12m that time you went 'derisory' then maybe you'd have got him as that was before Chelsea entered IIRC

That and the fact that he isn't actually very good, don't think he'd much improvement on what you have already. If any.

Not an improvement on Djorou or even Mertesacker? Yeah yeah Djorou is a 'good 4th choice centre back' but there's the problem, for a 4th choice centre back he plays an awful lot of bloody games in any position!

Thank you for proving my point. GG also guided us to an unbeaten season apart from one game, something that should have been the case in 03/04 if it wasn't for Pires diving over the defenders leg against Pompey.

We've also won 4 finals and lost 4 finals, of the ones we lost, only 1 was against a better team!

We've also won 4 finals and lost 4 finals, of the ones we lost, only 1 was against a better team!

Oh and the fact we lost 3 finals to an inferior team in itself is a disgrace. AW has given birth to a bunch of losers, something I've been saying for years.

Dont compare him with our backups. He isnt better than TV (ignoring this week)and Kos nor Per for that matter

Kos is coming along nicely but I'd take Cahill over Mertesacker any day of the week.

I'd have gone for Samba too, not trendy but bloody effective in both boxes. Even Spuds got that Ryan Nelson didn't they? He'd have been a better 'back up' than most and even Saha could fall into the 'do a job' category (assuming he's on loan)

Probably because most cant be bothered going through all the Wenger Out Sack the Board posts that come out after every defeat

This exactly, its pretty painful looking through Sy's posts and arguing against his usually incoherent points. Would rather just let him rant on on his own

Oh and the fact we lost 3 finals to an inferior team in itself is a disgrace. AW has given birth to a bunch of losers, something I've been saying for years.

Can someone explain which of the 4 finals we lost bar Birmingham was against a weaker side?

Liverpool FA cup - we were robbed by some key refereeing decisions - namely the penalty we should have had. In any case Liverpool hardly weak opposition

Chelsea League Cup - Kept with the policy of only using players who had played in earlier rounds agaist full strength Chelsea side. We didnt disgrace ourselves and it was against Chelsea

Barca Champions league - dont need to bother with an explanation

This exactly, its pretty painful looking through Sy's posts and arguing against his usually incoherent points. Would rather just let him rant on on his own

Yes that's right, because it's only me in here seriously asking questions about AW isn't it!??

:rolleyes:

Can someone explain which of the 4 finals we lost bar Birmingham was against a weaker side?

Liverpool FA cup - we were robbed by some key refereeing decisions - namely the penalty we should have had. In any case Liverpool hardly weak opposition

Chelsea League Cup - Kept with the policy of only using players who had played in earlier rounds agaist full strength Chelsea side. We didnt disgrace ourselves and it was against Chelsea

Barca Champions league - dont need to bother with an explanation

I'm not the one that suggested it, I was humouring the OP that said 3 of the 4 finals were against weaker sides.

Djvandyke is a bit egocentric but has a good point most of the point. Sy13 relies on Wenger bashing and abuse other posters who have different views.

I don't ever abuse other posters, that's a ban-able offence. I simply strongly disagree.

Every one of those posts is justified.

That's surely a bit of a stretch isn't it? I feel you may have some semi valid points underneath everything but your clear dislike for Wenger is certainly tainting your objectivity and judgement slightly

Kos is coming along nicely but I'd take Cahill over Mertesacker any day of the week.

I'd have gone for Samba too, not trendy but bloody effective in both boxes. Even Spuds got that Ryan Nelson didn't they? He'd have been a better 'back up' than most and even Saha could fall into the 'do a job' category (assuming he's on loan)

Samba would have been good, but again Blackburn wanted silly money. I was more than happy with Per. As for better backups Djourou was awesome in the latter half of last season. When he got injured at Old Trafford in the FA Cup there was real concern that our defence would be ****ed without him. There was no need to find a replacement for him last summer. Ryan Nelsen isn't better than anyone we have have bar Squalaci and ill include Miquel in that

That's where we disagree. I rate Cahill higher than Kos for sure, and definitely PerMer.

Seriously you think this season Cahill has been better than Kos? DO you actually watch our games anymore or do you just flick teletext on see the result and thats your cue for ranting about sacking Wenger

Agree regarding Djourou and latter half of last season, played great and I even put him in my fantasy football team, the Arsenal defence was pretty solid back then! Shame things have changed slightly...

You mean the same latter half where Arsenal collapsed spectacularly on every front?

Samba would have been good, but again Blackburn wanted silly money. I was more than happy with Per. As for better backups Djourou was awesome in the latter half of last season. When he got injured at Old Trafford in the FA Cup there was real concern that our defence would be ****ed without him. There was no need to find a replacement for him last summer. Ryan Nelsen isn't better than anyone we have have bar Squalaci and ill include Miquel in that

I think a defence even with someone like Nelson in it wouldn't have the opposition licking their lips as much as when they see Squalaci for instance. If Wenger has the faith than Miquel should play more, like more than Djourou too

You mean the same latter half where Arsenal collapsed spectacularly on every front?

The very same one.

There is more than 1 person on a football team, just because a team 'collapsed spectacularly on all fronts' does not mean some individual players didn't play well. It also doesn't mean that a team was unable to keep a couple more clean sheets than it is now.

That's where we disagree. I rate Cahill higher than Kos for sure, and definitely PerMer.

Kos arguably been our 2nd best player all season behind RVP, far superior to Cahill. Comparing him to PerMer is difficult because they are different type of defenders, it's like comparing Crouch to Defoe, completely different role in the same position.

Is it me or when Arsenal lose the 'positive' supporters don't come in here and return when the dust settles.

I just cba arguing with people, I'll see your opinion, and people know mine. Of course the result today has annoyed me, but nothing will be/can be done (in regards to management, transfers) till the end of the season, so I (or we) may as well just sit it back and remain positive so the team isn't even more demoralised.

Kos arguably been our 2nd best player all season behind RVP, far superior to Cahill. Comparing him to PerMer is difficult because they are different type of defenders, it's like comparing Crouch to Defoe, completely different role in the same position.

I just cba arguing with people, I'll see your opinion, and people know mine. Of course the result today has annoyed me, but nothing will be/can be done (in regards to management, transfers) till the end of the season, so I (or we) may as well just sit it back and remain positive so the team isn't even more demoralised.

You're wrong, something can be done at management level now, why would you say otherwise??

Archived