Sports Interactive Community
goon

LAUREN's Arsenal Thread 2011/2012 - 125 Years of Greatness *sponsored by being BRILLIANT*

Just want to compliment Arteta and Coquelin for their performances today. They won't get the same headlines as RvP, AOC or TW14, but both did their jobs well and have a level of consistency we could do with across the squad. Coquelin in particular certainly seems to be showing serious potential as a very important player in the future considering how well he's done so far while being played out of position; he has the tactical and positional awareness to maintain a high standard in an unfamiliar role and has generally been very good when actually played in midfield too. :thup:

Yeah well played Coq, doing a Flamini by starting at full back?

Credit to Theo today as well, i'm a big critic and one game won't convince me but if he could perform like that consistently i'd be happy. Ox is brill.

Theo's ace. Read earlier about how it's looking likely that he will sign a new deal? Fantastic news if true. Keeping him and RvP is key for us. They link up so well.

Maybe if he gains some consistency.

Don't think this outstanding performance excuses how dreadful he has been in the past few games, literally could have been more effective in the stands in the past few games. League 2 standard player at times.

Just watched the highlights again. If that pass by Song for the 2nd goal was made by Messi, Iniesta, Xavi etc, everyone would be raving about it. Quality ball.

Also looking at the fixture list, it seems a little unfair on us

11 Sat Add to Calendar Barclays Premier League A Sunderland 15:00 Player Match Menu

15 Wed Add to Calendar UEFA Champions League A AC Milan 19:45 ITV Match Menu

18 Sat Add to Calendar The FA Cup A S'land/M'boro 17:15 ITV1 Match Menu

26 Sun Add to Calendar Barclays Premier League H Tottenham Hotspur 13:30

03 Sat Add to Calendar Barclays Premier League A Liverpool 12:45 SS2 Match Menu

06 Tue Add to Calendar UEFA Champions League H AC Milan

Also we could have an FA Cup replay inbetween Spuds and the Scousers

FranceFootball.com are reporting that Laurent Blanc is 'divorcing' with the French FA. They've also claimed that the French FA's leading target to succeed Laurent Blanc is Arsène Wenger.

Make what you want of that.

Watching the Ivory Coast vs Equatorial Guinea match last night, Lauren was in the studio and was giving tips on penalty taking after Drogba missed his.

I thought of this thread straight away.

FranceFootball.com are reporting that Laurent Blanc is 'divorcing' with the French FA. They've also claimed that the French FA's leading target to succeed Laurent Blanc is Arsène Wenger.

Make what you want of that.

I've always thought Wenger would make a terrible national manager, his strength is in the transfer market and finding unknown gems and turning them into great players, however tactically he's pretty average and as we've seen, not great at reacting with substitutions or arguably not a great motivator (although his reputation and respect he would command at France would help). So basically managing a national team he can't use his biggest skill at all and is completely focused on things he isn't great at.

Lauren, what a hero. What do you do at White Hart Lane is an absolutely HUGE game, slide a penalty as slow as possible straight down the middle.

I've always thought Wenger would make a terrible national manager, his strength is in the transfer market and finding unknown gems and turning them into great players, however tactically he's pretty average and as we've seen, not great at reacting with substitutions or arguably not a great motivator (although his reputation and respect he would command at France would help). So basically managing a national team he can't use his biggest skill at all and is completely focused on things he isn't great at.

Tactically Wenger is odd. He isn't one for changing his system during matches or the season particularly or to play against a certain opposition. However he often makes changes to the tactics at the end of seasons which are mostly very astute. However agree his strength is in player development.

Don't think he'd be interested in managing the likes of Nasri again. Even Ribery and the likes seem like ***** so I wouldn't imagine he has the desire to manage those cretins.

also massive result with Chelsea result, remember us last year against Newcastle last year.

Hope for a draw tommorow, between the Spuds and Scousers

Lauren, what a hero. What do you do at White Hart Lane is an absolutely HUGE game, slide a penalty as slow as possible straight down the middle.

It was at Highbury, not WHL.

Well, he did also score a rather nice penalty at White Hart Lane in the 5-4 game. :)

Am I the only one hoping we will drop to 7th place tomorrow?

Would rather challenge for 4th place personally.

I was about to question why you could possibly want that... and then I realised it means Spurs lost. I think I could accept that, for the greater good!

Would rather challenge for 4th place personally.

As I said before, I do not see Spurs as a rival as much as London based Arsenal fans do.

But I just had a quick look at the table and (yes, being very optimistic about Arsenal's performances till the end of the season but since I had some success in foreseeing our January crisis and recent rise in form, I will allow myself to voice this opinion) I thought that we will be above Liverpool no matter what and Liverpool won't be above Chelsea for sure. The same goes for Newcastle. 9 points to a really strong looking Tottenham - will be hard, but much easier than 12 points. And doable if we have another good run.

Also, I really want Tottenham to lose anyway! :)

I see Spurs as a massive rival and I dont want them to finish above us, but I dont think we can catch them at all. So I hope Liverpool drop points.

I see Spurs as a massive rival and I dont want them to finish above us, but I dont think we can catch them at all. So I hope Liverpool drop points.

That is kind of some ermm... 'hardcore rationalism'. I had to tell myself all day that *I will* want MU to win today in spite of my emotions. Wasn't easy. Luckily, power went down during HT so I didn't have to deal with it.

EDIT: It doesn't change what I posted before: I want them to lose as I believe we will catch them.

What the **** is wrong with you? For all my moaning I would like nothing more than this Arsenal side to prove me wrong and qualify for the Champions League. Failure to do so is not an option as the financial impact will be devastating and you can wave goodbye to Robin van Persie and any hope of regaining our position in the elite once the new manager comes in.

If it means our chance of a top 4 finish improves by just 1% then Tottenham can win the tittle for all I care.

As I said I can still see us catching them (they lose tomorrow and then at the Emirates it will be 6 points) and think we will be above Liverpool anyway. So if you call optimism 'being wrong' then you are right.

Another long injury, really hampering him I think :( This'll mean that by the start of next season he's effectively one and a half years behind where he should be?

Second time he's done his ACL by the time he's 20, not looking good...

What do we want tonight guys.

Liverpool to win to which will put them above us and our top 4 place be more at risk, but with Spurs having 3 tought games after this, Newcastle then us then Man Utd. With the possibility of them losing all 3 and if we win our next 3 it will be a possibility of joint on points.

Or do we want Tottenham to win and put them out of sight but increase our chances of top 4 with Liverpool faultering.

A draw doesnt help either matter really.

I'm hoping for a 0-0 draw full of injuries and sending offs personally. A win for Liverpool is positive in that it's a defeat for Tottenham, but it is also a victory for racism which will set us back to seventh. A win for Tottenham is a win for Tottenham which is horribly distressing at any time, and would set us back 12 points again.

As I said yesterday I think Liverpool victory will be better for us in the long run.

There's nothing to link those two quotes from Wenger. I don't think he's talking about profit in regard to Hazard's price tag - they were probably said at different times and The Mirror has made the link.

Also he doesn't say he needs to make a profit of £15-£20m in transfers at all - he appears to be talking about overall profit (and we should make £15-£20m easily).

Yupz, you're right of course. It should be profit in total, via commercial revenue, ticket sales, TV deals, etc. If only we had better commercial deals i.e stadium and shirt.

This is the original source. The Mirror's translation is pretty accurate but you're right that the two quotes aren't linked in quite the way the Mirror implies. In fact the comment about profit seems rather out of place. We don't know the context that prompted him to talk about it.

I wasn't suggesting they translated it incorrectly. Papers don't change quotes directly - what they do instead is take them out of context to make the person appear to be saying something that makes a story.

£15m-£20m profit for whom? This money shold be invested in the clubs playing staff.

Wenger has sold us out for his own £6m a year.

At the price Hazard would cost, nty.

Go to Spain please Eden. I couldn't gaf if you're wasted there, just don't go near any of our rivals.

£15m-£20m profit for whom? This money shold be invested in the clubs playing staff.

Have you been to Highbury a lot this season?

Erm, you are aware we play in a new shiny stadium yeah?

Supposedly Daniel Sturridge's (spelling) father has told Steve Rowley that he would like to play for Arsenal. It almost defiantly won't happen but if it did

I would believe he does want to leave Chelsea because let's be honest who in the right mind would want to play for Chelsea especially after the latest saga.

If he wanted to leave Chelsea then he'd do a lot better than us Eugster. They are ahead of us after all.