LAUREN's Arsenal Thread 2011/2012 - 125 Years of Greatness *sponsored by being BRILLIANT*

goon

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wenger has never been under pressure like this before and he had all last summer to put everything right after such an astonishing collapse last season. He failed.

Wenger said himself it wold be stupid to drop points in January because of not having full backs so he looked at bringing in cover. He failed.

Wenger said it would be disasterous to finish outside the top four and vowed to do everything to avoid it. He. Has. Failed.

Out.

Why do you say that out of interest? Call me a blind optimist (I am) but I think if we do miss out this year we'll be straight back next year.
based on what? do you think rvp will stay if you don't at the very least make CL? and wenger will suddenly invest in all the positions needed? and what if chelsea and liverpool chuck a lot more money too (seems probable) and also try and bridge the gap upwards?

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying you should sack wenger. i do believe he's made repeatedly the same mistakes (through inaction) but he more than deserves one season after this to make up for it but i just don't see how there won't be serious damage done to arsenal if they end 6th or below? who will arsenal be able to attract to improve matters? i think potentially there's a serious threat to arsenal's repute that will stunt you for longer - i'm sure liverpool would've loved to sign mata instead of downing or banega or whoever ahead of charlie adam but it's not quite so easy to bring players in when it looks like you're on a downward slope. which is exactly what it seems like it would be to me if you ended 6th or below. unless you expect 'the kids' to all come good next season all of a sudden?

You would love for Wenger to leave now in February, lack of coaches available. Might as wait till June for anything to happen on that front

I love it how whenever someone suggests a change at management level there is always someone else to chime in with the predictable "there's no one else available" or "name one person that could do it better" line.

Almost every manager is available if you throw money at them. Mourinho will be available in the summer. And yes, if we paid the money he would come to us. Then there's Klopp, Hiddink, Moyes, Pep, hell even O'Neill. Not one of those names (and a lot more besides) would screw it up more than AW is doing now. Wenger has lost the dressing room, it's so obvious to see that. Any player in an Arsenal shirt shouldn't need Pat Rice screaming at them for 45mins on the touch line, they should be fired up by the manager every time.

Why do you say that out of interest? Call me a blind optimist (I am) but I think if we do miss out this year we'll be straight back next year.

RvP and Theo will leave. We will use the money to cover going out of the CL. We wont replace either player. Honestly think we will finish 10th/11th next season.

RvP and Theo will leave. We will use the money to cover going out of the CL. We wont replace either player. Honestly think we will finish 10th/11th next season.

Exactly this, unless a HUGE change is made at management and board level. Whilst this lot are in charge then Arsenal will continue to die.

based on what? do you think rvp will stay if you don't at the very least make CL? and wenger will suddenly invest in all the positions needed? and what if chelsea and liverpool chuck a lot more money too (seems probable) and also try and bridge the gap upwards?

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying you should sack wenger. i do believe he's made repeatedly the same mistakes (through inaction) but he more than deserves one season after this to make up for it but i just don't see how there won't be serious damage done to arsenal if they end 6th or below? who will arsenal be able to attract to improve matters? i think potentially there's a serious threat to arsenal's repute that will stunt you for longer - i'm sure liverpool would've loved to sign mata instead of downing or banega or whoever ahead of charlie adam but it's not quite so easy to bring players in when it looks like you're on a downward slope. which is exactly what it seems like it would be to me if you ended 6th or below. unless you expect 'the kids' to all come good next season all of a sudden?

I'm acting on a hunch mate, that's all. Blind optimism. I don't think (on paper) finishing out of the top four makes it as hard to sign players as we really think. Liverpool, despite those names you've mentioned still managed to bring Suárez in and I'm pretty sure the likes of Downing/Henderson/Carroll were brought in more as a sign of Dalglish's insistence on buying British than because they couldn't bring any better players in. Even Newcastle have bought in some very good players having only been promoted the season before last, look at them now.

We've not actually got any 'kids to come good' at the moment anyway to be honest: Chamberlain maybe, Frimpong is talented but raw... and they won't realise any potential surrounded by most of the current squad anyway. It's no coincidence that the likes of Cesc/RvP/Flamini/Clichy all came good while they were surrounded by the likes of Henry/Bergkamp/Vieira etc.

I hope not :(

Would another manager mean we change our spending habits anyway? Is our current attitude to transfers a 'Wenger philosophy' or a policy encouraged by the club?

Think it's a mixture of both. If rumours are to be believe its more the board than Wenger.

Either way, we are finished as a top force. I wonder how far our decline will go. Doubt we can afford to have 30-40K every week. Probably should have just stayed at Highbury.

Almost every manager is available if you throw money at them. Mourinho will be available in the summer. And yes, if we paid the money he would come to us. Then there's Klopp, Hiddink, Moyes, Pep, hell even O'Neill.

In the summer, yes (although I think Hiddink is very overrated and I very much doubt Pep would come unless he feels he's completed what he wanted to achieve at Barca.) I doubt most of those would come right now.

I've said before that I'm not particularly averse to Wenger leaving in the summer, but I'm not sure replacing him now would work. The whole structure of the football side of Arsenal has been completely based around his ethos and vision and when he goes there'll be a huge disruption. We might get the new manager bounce, but equally I think we could potentially do even worse for the first couple of months than we are now. It looks to me like a massive risk. When Wenger goes I'd much rather it be at the end of a season when the new man's got several off months to implement his methods.

I love it how whenever someone suggests a change at management level there is always someone else to chime in with the predictable "there's no one else available" or "name one person that could do it better" line.

Almost every manager is available if you throw money at them. Mourinho will be available in the summer. And yes, if we paid the money he would come to us. Then there's Klopp, Hiddink, Moyes, Pep, hell even O'Neill. Not one of those names (and a lot more besides) would screw it up more than AW is doing now. Wenger has lost the dressing room, it's so obvious to see that. Any player in an Arsenal shirt shouldn't need Pat Rice screaming at them for 45mins on the touch line, they should be fired up by the manager every time.

Might get shot down for this, but even now I wouldn't like to see us chuck money at a name like Mourinho or Klopp just because they are a name...

Klopp just signed a new contract iirc anyway. I do think Mourinho would come to us if we went looking for a new manager, probably just do a swap and it'd be sorted, but we cannot sack Wenger now, and we should give him a season to try and resurrect us.

The board will hire someone pathetic anyway.

If Wenger does leave, we should hire some very well known manager short term who can hopefully stabilise the club. Louis van Gaal comes to mind.

As a long term manager, I'd quite like Laurent Blanc (he's a true leader).

He was apparently 'close' to the first-team at Dortmund.

No, he wasn't. But that's not really related to his quality it was more due to his agent.

Eisfeld is a good solid talent but nothing special for Arsenal. Gnabry is special. :)

No, he wasn't. But that's not really related to his quality it was more due to his agent.

Eisfeld is a good solid talent but nothing special for Arsenal. Gnabry is special. :)

Gnabry was good last night but Ozyakup looked the best out of the whole lot in the deeper midfield role. Eisfield is very comfortable on the ball and helped to create the 1st goal tho.

Gnabry was good last night but Ozyakup looked the best out of the whole lot in the deeper midfield role. Eisfield is very comfortable on the ball and helped to create the 1st goal tho.

Özyakup is a very talented guy but Gnabry is three years younger than him.

I don't exactly know how Gnabry is doing at Arsenal but here in Germany many experts see him as a possible future star and as the best player out of a very talented German under 17 national team.

Eisfeld on the other hand lacks a bit the physical abilities. His technique is good, passing and finishing are accurate. I can't really see him being good enough for Arsenal's first team.

I would expect loads of clubs would be interested in him. Liverpool probably the most likely of places he would end up.

He only has a year left on his contract, but is miles better than someone like Downing. Soooo. £15mish? Maybe £20m?

Mate, Downing went for the same. Stewart Downing. Theo is miles ahread of him. Plus he's English and actually good. Well within our rights to expect that much.

You have actually reminded me of when you last laughed at my opinion. When I said that Woj was better than De Gea. Good times :***)

Mate, Downing went for the same. Stewart Downing. Theo is miles ahread of him. Plus he's English and actually good. Well within our rights to expect that much.

You have actually reminded me of when you last laughed at my opinion. When I said that Woj was better than De Gea. Good times :***)

The difference is Villa were desperate to keep Downing, by the sounds of it you'd be trying to shift him which massively changes his valuation.

mate, downing went for the same. Stewart downing. Theo is miles ahread of him. Plus he's english and actually good. Well within our rights to expect that much.

You have actually reminded me of when you last laughed at my opinion. When i said that woj was better than de gea. Good times :***)

give it time m8

I think a lot has to do with the fact that he doesn't want to play wide. He has said many times he wants to play through the middle. That's why sometimes I think he goes missing or gets caught out of position, and throws the odd shrug every now and again.

But then when gets the chance or gets put through on goal, he fluffs it more often than not, which is why he'll never really get the chance there.

And yet at other times his finishing is really assured. This is what I mean about his mentality. At times he can be very assured and play some excellent football and at other times he's a train wreck. There was a match last season where on Sky's Football First Tony Gayle (who is the biggest moron there is and hates Theo) was co-commentating. Theo made a poor choice early on and Gayle went on for ages about how it proved what a bad player he was and then Theo was immense for the rest of the game - Gayle didn't say anything.

It's been unfortunate in the past that just as he hit form, he'd get a long-term injury. It's happened two or three times now.

Archived