Football Manager Handheld 12 - How would you like it?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newgens and a larger database (I'm thinking 80k players like I normally have on the pc :p)

Editor for iOS; otherwise I'll have to resort to manually editing my save lulz.

Ability to export your database so when the 30seasons are up you can continue with the same players.

More complex interactions, ability to hire staff and team talks.

(I guess these'll all have to be for a later update/2013 though if you implement them :p)

I think the transfers need looking at. As Forest I got promoted to the Premier League. I had around £17 million to spend on players in my first year.

I finished 3rd in my first season - so in theory I thought I'd receive more money the following year as I had finished so high.

But... I had roughly the same money... that can't be right?

I've played a lot on the iPhone version and I have a few items:

1. Control the flow in the match screens better. Now some screens disappear when swiping but they can be found when pressing the match view button.

2. When moving around the player actions, I get annoyed that when I click 'back' I am taken all the way back to the screen before the player page instead of the players 'action menu' (go to your squad, find a player, press action, press coach report, press back. You are now back on the squad overview page instead of the 'action menu')

3. I can set a player status but this is reset every season. Please make it remember the status (its annoying going through 20 players to set the 'listed for loan'.

4. In the Transfer Status page I can set 'demote/promote' but it is quite useless since I can do this directly on the 'action menu' page.

5. Better control of 'Player of the Year'

6. There is a lot of player interaction with players disliking other players. I would like to have some options to resolve these disputes without having to sell out of the team.

• SI Staff
I've played a lot on the iPhone version and I have a few items:

1. Control the flow in the match screens better. Now some screens disappear when swiping but they can be found when pressing the match view button.

Will look into this.

2. When moving around the player actions, I get annoyed that when I click 'back' I am taken all the way back to the screen before the player page instead of the players 'action menu' (go to your squad, find a player, press action, press coach report, press back. You are now back on the squad overview page instead of the 'action menu')

This is intentional - I found that if it 'remembers' all the interim pages then frequently it annoys people who might swipe between pages or browse a lot as they'd have to 'back' a lot to get onto the squad page.

3. I can set a player status but this is reset every season. Please make it remember the status (its annoying going through 20 players to set the 'listed for loan'.

This is fixed for 2012.

4. In the Transfer Status page I can set 'demote/promote' but it is quite useless since I can do this directly on the 'action menu' page.

This is a 'safety' as if you're managing a national side quite frequently one (or more) of the options on the transfer status page might be missing.

5. Better control of 'Player of the Year'

I've tuned all the awards for 2012.

6. There is a lot of player interaction with players disliking other players. I would like to have some options to resolve these disputes without having to sell out of the team.

I'll have a think about this.

I would like to see more viewable attributes in the game, some that for me feel really important are left out like determination, work rate, natural fitness and so on. Why not make the attributes 4 screens?

If they are in the game to start with :p

an idea formed in my head of having something like the graphical sextant (or what it's called) that is visible in the PC version of FM as the overview and having the three separate (physical, mental, technical/goalkeeping) as a view choice.

In my mind this would function like when changing view from a loan contract and the players contract at his current club.

This way the simplicity would be retained yet more attributes would be viewable in game

• SI Staff
I would like to see more viewable attributes in the game, some that for me feel really important are left out like determination, work rate, natural fitness and so on. Why not make the attributes 4 screens?

If they are in the game to start with :p

The FMH database is based on the same one that the PC game uses - however due to the lack of space some items are combined in order to optimally display things without going over multiple pages (which would make it much harder to assess players). For example 'Pace' is a combination of the 'Pace and Acceleration' found in the PC title etc.

an idea formed in my head of having something like the graphical sextant (or what it's called) that is visible in the PC version of FM as the overview and having the three separate (physical, mental, technical/goalkeeping) as a view choice.

Its an interesting concept and as an 'option' I don't object to it - however in practice I've generally found a lot of people find it confusing.

I would like to have more control over the youth systems, if there could be some form of newgen through the youth systems or be able to control the regen system, as in being able to set the amount of regens that come in, but if the number is high for a season then the number of regens for the next season is low. This, I believe is a good idea, and could be made into an unlockable or a feature at the start of the game that can be turned off/on to suit the way that the player plays, as the regen system is too predictable anyway.

if there could be some form of newgen through the youth systems

All nice, except that it must be done in such way that the database remains balanced after 30 seasons. Remember that size really matters when dealing with handheld devices.

be able to control the regen system, as in being able to set the amount of regens that come in, but if the number is high for a season then the number of regens for the next season is low.

The number of regens is mainly determined by the amount of old enough players in the database (I would say). Being able to control the output number could seriously unbalance the game (a high number would enforce that not so old players retire early in detriment of youngsters, a low number would see a large number of players that should have retired still on the game).

This, I believe is a good idea

No, it's not :)

The regen system is too predictable anyway.

Partially true. Some players are easy to be detected due to their positions (Beckham & Giggs, for example), but goalkeepers are extremely hard to detect. The best compromise would be to make them harder to detect, maybe by slightly changing their playing positions proficiency.

Although I am *totally* against it, as I love to know that a young Verón is ruling my midfield :D

Maybe when they release iPhone dual-core with 4gb of dedicated RAM :D

My phone is already dual-core with 1gb RAM, nearly there! :p

+1 for the sextuant, also seeing my player faces would definitely be cool (if somewhat clunky on such a small screen^^)

Newgens are a must! I've said it before but I'll say it again. Also greater tactical control and player interaction.

It would be nice to see a revamped graphical theme, more akin to its big brother on the PC and Mac. Current FM has a great look. The layout on FMHi is very good and practical, just the graphics on the layout could benefit from a more modern look. Some eye candy does a lot for marketing as well these days.

This would increase the application size, but I believe would still run very smoothly. The game already runs very fast in most devices, besides the iPhone, iPod and iPad are able to run many graphic-intensive games, even 3D ones as you can see by the offers in the App Store. So it would surely support an improved graphical theme, with reflections or some eye candy that only designers know how to do. You know... make it look more "Appleish", iOS users have a thing for such things! :)

I think the save-tactic feature is a good one, but it irritates me that I have to type the name for it first before selecting the slot. If I have to save over another saved tactic (updating a previous one), then I have to name it again and then select it.

How about changing the order? Select which tactic-save-place to save, then open up the keyboard in order to type the name. If the save already have a name, then let that name be in the box so you just press 'enter'

I think the save-tactic feature is a good one, but it irritates me that I have to type the name for it first before selecting the slot. If I have to save over another saved tactic (updating a previous one), then I have to name it again and then select it.

How about changing the order? Select which tactic-save-place to save, then open up the keyboard in order to type the name. If the save already have a name, then let that name be in the box so you just press 'enter'

I agree to this.

Also, fix the Options-Preferences-View-User Interface-Invert Scrolling enabled because each time you load a game it has to be set up again despite it shows it as 'Yes'. You have to set it to 'No', confirm and go back to it to set it to 'Yes' and confirm once again, then it works on your loaded game.

• SI Staff
IAlso, fix the Options-Preferences-View-User Interface-Invert Scrolling enabled because each time you load a game it has to be set up again despite it shows it as 'Yes'. You have to set it to 'No', confirm and go back to it to set it to 'Yes' and confirm once again, then it works on your loaded game.

Already done for 2012 - sorry about that (same issue existed with 'Wide Scrollbar' setting also if I remember right)

It would be cool if the save format was more open in the next version so that it is easier for the community to extract stats from it and potentially create an editor. That's one of my biggest nuances, I can't understand what an earth is going on in the save file. Hex editor shows a load of nonsense and looping through each character in python to try and understand what on earth is going on takes hours for it to get past a massive list of names (which doesn't include Messi :D).

Ability to create multiple shortlists - Wonderkids, Players retiring etc

Totals: goals/assists etc on player history screen

Ability to click on international results

'Transfer centre' Ability to see who you're bidding for or currently in negotiations with

Ability to compare players

First of all, thanks for opportunity play FM on my ipad :) Second, i'm so hoping, that in 2012 handheld version i get not 1/10 cut PC manager version (because i have to say, i was a bit disappointed)...FM can take 1GB, or 4GB my tablets space (i'm not bother about it) but it should run as it should, with all goodness :) Best wishes from Lithuania! p.s sorry for my english :)

• SI Staff
First of all, thanks for opportunity play FM on my ipad :) Second, i'm so hoping, that in 2012 handheld version i get not 1/10 cut PC manager version (because i have to say, i was a bit disappointed)...FM can take 1GB, or 4GB my tablets space (i'm not bother about it) but it should run as it should, with all goodness :) Best wishes from Lithuania! p.s sorry for my english :)

The current tablets aren't powerful enough to run FM PC* and to be honest I don't think the UI complexity or speed of the FM PC game would suit handheld devices particularly for the vast majority of their users; as such at present there are no plans to simply dump FM PC onto a tablet.

*Its not just storage space - its processing power also.

The current tablets aren't powerful enough to run FM PC* and to be honest I don't think the UI complexity or speed of the FM PC game would suit handheld devices particularly for the vast majority of their users; as such at present there are no plans to simply dump FM PC onto a tablet.

I'd be interested to know what kind of specs you think would be needed, just theoretically, when you take into consideration that the PC version has to run under Vista or Windows 7. Vista is bloated hog of an OS, whereas the iPad 2 runs on a phone OS which is massively less resource hungry and faster. My dual core 3Ghz PC is fast enough, but the dual core 1GHz iPad 2 isn't? I agree that having a screen full of tiny information slots and trying to control it with a large finger is impractical though, I just wondered what hardware specs running iOS, you thought would do it?

• SI Staff
I'd be interested to know what kind of specs you think would be needed, just theoretically, when you take into consideration that the PC version has to run under Vista or Windows 7. Vista is bloated hog of an OS, whereas the iPad 2 runs on a phone OS which is massively less resource hungry and faster. My dual core 3Ghz PC is fast enough, but the dual core 1GHz iPad 2 isn't? I agree that having a screen full of tiny information slots and trying to control it with a large finger is impractical though, I just wondered what hardware specs running iOS, you thought would do it?

A processor which was somewhere near as powerful as those found in budget laptops would help for starters (please do bear in mind that much is made of 'dual core' phones and suchlike - but that doesn't mean much if the individual cores themselves aren't powerful - for a comparison I worked on a multi-processor system with 64 processors running concurrently in it 20 years ago ... but the total processing power was far less than found in a modern desktop PC with a single core).

Multi-core processor systems are clever for mobile devices because they are energy efficient (ie. don't drain batteries particually quickly) and 'sound fast' (ie. 'the name for that processor sounds similar to whats in my desktop') but in reality they are quite far from it when compared to modern PC's - thats one of the reasons that the manufacturers go out of their way to ensure that speed tests for such things aren't easily comparable (ie. it keeps the myth that these devices are 'fast' alive, now don't get me wrong some DO have fancy 3d hardware these days - but thats a different beast altogether and doesn't help our games that much tbh).

PS - As I mentioned previously regardless of spec I don't think the full complexity of the FM PC game suits a handheld system personally - the style of play people generally expect from such things (and UI limitations on handheld touchscreen devices).

I realize that not everyone wants the style of play that FMH provides - but equally not everyone has the time available to play FM PC ... its impossible to please everyone all of the time (it may be that one day in the far flung future FM PC does migrate at least partially onto tablets and suchlike, but if it does I expect FMH to continue in order to allow people who prefer that approach to management gaming to get their 'fix').

The processors going into phones have a much smaller cache space than that found in a desktop processor, so memory intensive tasks will take much longer, besides, I doubt they could do as much per processor round as a desktop. A 1gH in a phone will be slower than the equivalent in a desktop.

You couldn't just have a watered down version of the PC game though could you? Like FIFA and PES do with their iPhone games. Maybe take out the 3D Pitch as that takes up a lot, take out unlimited seasons and maybe have it at 100 seasons maximum. Similar to the 2005 to 2008 games, before the 'big' features came into play.???

• SI Staff
You couldn't just have a watered down version of the PC game though could you? Like FIFA and PES do with their iPhone games. Maybe take out the 3D Pitch as that takes up a lot, take out unlimited seasons and maybe have it at 100 seasons maximum. Similar to the 2005 to 2008 games, before the 'big' features came into play.???

In a word - no, its not as simple as it sounds there are many oddities even beyond the basic processing/storage requirements.

For instance a computer OS (Windows/OSX/whatever) has very solid memory management and generally handles fragmentation well - handheld device operating systems (iOS or whatever) generally don't ... so you have to code things specifically to avoid fragmentation ..... which isn't something which has been done with FM PC.

I want to be able to have the top Brazilian league only along with England, Spain and Italy. I played in Brazil but when moving to Europe the database is screwed saturated with Brazilians and the end of season is in January or around that time.

Archived