Getting a new (smaller) stadium.

A lot of people post on here, asking what it takes to get a request for a new stadium accepted. The answers are usually like "well, first you must've expanded your current stadium to the max. If potential attendances (or whatever it's called in the editor) are still way above your new, expanded stadium capacity for a few seasons, and you've got enough cash in the bank, it will eventually be built".

Does it work both ways then? For instance like at Juventus, does having a small crowd in a big stadium for several seasons make a case for a new, smaller stadium to increase atmosphere, comfort, etc?

Also, are there running tracks in FM? If there's a running track stat, this should be yet another reason for the board to consider a new, smaller stadium for increased atmosphere.

I'm asking these questins mainly because I'm thinking about embarking on a Hertha Berlin save, with the ultimate goal of moving out of the Olympiastadion, into a new, smaller, more compact stadium without a running track.

I think it would be terrible business to move to a smaller stadium. Surely the board would just put that extra cash into bringing people to the games. I doubt any good business man would do this in any line never mind football.

Guest markyosullivan

Maybe if there was a track around the pitch then your club could generate extra revenue from it?

I think it would be terrible business to move to a smaller stadium. Surely the board would just put that extra cash into bringing people to the games. I doubt any good business man would do this in any line never mind football.

Rotherham are doing. They are moving to a new 12k seater stadium iirc. But that's more to do with location, I think.

Look at Juventus. They demolished a white elephant with running tracks, replacing it with a new, compact stadium that will make the fans able to make real noise & increasing atmosphere. Having a small stadium filled for almost every game is surely better that to have even less people in a giant stadium with a running track, bad view & no atmosphere.

In thw worst case I'll have to edit it in myself. Just thought I'd check on here first to see if it's even possible without "cheating". I don't want to spend hundreds of hours trying to reach a goal that cannot be reached.

Rotherham are doing. They are moving to a new 12k seater stadium iirc. But that's more to do with location, I think.

Yeah but their old ground Milmoor is smaller than the new one. The stadium they're playing at now is just temporary, and they don't own it or anything.

Look at Juventus. They demolished a white elephant with running tracks, replacing it with a new, compact stadium that will make the fans able to make real noise & increasing atmosphere. Having a small stadium filled for almost every game is surely better that to have even less people in a giant stadium with a running track, bad view & no atmosphere.

In thw worst case I'll have to edit it in myself. Just thought I'd check on here first to see if it's even possible without "cheating". I don't want to spend hundreds of hours trying to reach a goal that cannot be reached.

But running tracks and atmosphere play no part in the game. Also that is a very isolated case. I doubt there are many other clubs who would do that.

But running tracks and atmosphere play no part in the game. Also that is a very isolated case. I doubt there are many other clubs who would do that.

Im planning on starting a Hertha Berlin save, and I've read several times that they plan to do it IRL. There are italian teams too, like Roma & Lazio planning for smaller stadiums which they are going to own themselves. Without running tracks ofc.

You may be right that it plays no part in the game, and in that case I might have to edit in a new stadium for them myself. I just want to know beforehand if it's even possible to achieve ingame, so i don't waste hundreds of hours trying to reach it without editing.

Even if it's not part in the game, imagination is a big part of FM, and it really bothers me playing in a huge stadium that's not even half filled for the majority of the league games, with a running track, not being able to do anything about it.

I think if your club goes into administration one of the possible outcomes is that your stadium gets downsized - normally on the basis that it costs less to maintain a smaller stadium and hence the administrator closes one of the stands.

In my current save Portsmouth have been relegated to League 2 and went into administration in 2013 - when they came out their stadium capacity had been reduced from 20,000 to 15,000

A club would move from a huge stadium if they cannot sell out if they are paying a high rent, to build their own stadium, so they avoid rental fees.

Actually it wouldn't even have to be huge or being sold out... Any club that plays at a high rent stadium will want to build their own. Its just a matter of time before financials lead them to building their own instead of renting.

Archived