I am becoming increasingly frustrated...

At watching my games. My players don't seem to be doing as I've instructed.

Tackling seems to be the main problem. My tactics are set as close down and aggressive tackling however I have lost count at the amount of times players run at my defenders, who continue to back off and not attempt a tackle. Why is this?? They're doing the opposite of what I've told them to do.

I think the whole 3D representation is also poor. Players do things that are just weird/not possible by a professional footballer. For example, when players seemingly just stop even when a ball is right in front of them. They'll just stand still and wait for an opposition player to get it instead. Another example is when someone crosses the ball and it will hit a defender on the back of the head and go in. This means that the defender isn't looking at the attacker/the ball and has actually ran infront of the ball. Another classic is when a defender is under no pressure at all yet decides to clear the all into row z. Very, very bizarre and extremely annoying to watch.

Also, is it just me or are there far too many goals scored at a keepers near post??

The 3D is simply awful.

Tackling seems to be the main problem. My tactics are set as close down and aggressive tackling however I have lost count at the amount of times players run at my defenders, who continue to back off and not attempt a tackle. Why is this?? They're doing the opposite of what I've told them to do.

I think the whole 3D representation is also poor. Players do things that are just weird/not possible by a professional footballer. For example, when players seemingly just stop even when a ball is right in front of them. They'll just stand still and wait for an opposition player to get it instead. Another example is when someone crosses the ball and it will hit a defender on the back of the head and go in. This means that the defender isn't looking at the attacker/the ball and has actually ran infront of the ball. Another classic is when a defender is under no pressure at all yet decides to clear the all into row z. Very, very bizarre and extremely annoying to watch.

Also, is it just me or are there far too many goals scored at a keepers near post??

The 3D is simply awful.

The problem with the 3D engine is that it isn't a perfect representation of what is going on behind the scenes.

Like when you see a player stop before reaching the ball and allowing another player to get there first it means that the game has figured out that the second player will get there first, but the match engine was showing the defender getting there first, so has to stop them to allow the game to play out as it has been calculated.

Mentality is what is causing it I would say.

Low mentality = stay between ball & goal, attempting to block the shot

High mentality = Go & attack the ball making a tackle

You need to first consider if you want the defend stepping forward trying to make a tackle and if you do increase mentality or if you use the tactics creator choose a different role.

I think the whole 3D representation is also poor. Players do things that are just weird/not possible by a professional footballer. For example, when players seemingly just stop even when a ball is right in front of them. They'll just stand still and wait for an opposition player to get it instead. Another example is when someone crosses the ball and it will hit a defender on the back of the head and go in. This means that the defender isn't looking at the attacker/the ball and has actually ran infront of the ball.

meh, I see it from time to time but nowhere near as much as your post suggests. Last season I maybe saw one/two goals where it hit the defender whereas I can't remember the last time I saw a player stop and let the opposition have it.

Another classic is when a defender is under no pressure at all yet decides to clear the all into row z. Very, very bizarre and extremely annoying to watch.

This is partially back to your mentality issue mixed with your players mental abilities & your tactics. Think of mentality as risk, you give your player instructions as to speed of play, passing direction, length of pass & risk of pass. If he can't find a pass which fits into those instructions he plays safe and boots it when he feels under pressure. Better players have more time as they don't feel as under pressure but you still need to make sure that other players are available to receive the ball. I played fullback at Sunday league level and there was nothing worse than getting the ball off a DC then looking up to see all the players running away from you.

Can't say its something I've noticed.

The 3D is simply awful.

Each to their own, personally I think its pretty good.

Mentality is what is causing it I would say.

Low mentality = stay between ball & goal, attempting to block the shot

High mentality = Go & attack the ball making a tackle

You need to first consider if you want the defend stepping forward trying to make a tackle and if you do increase mentality or if you use the tactics creator choose a different role.

meh, I see it from time to time but nowhere near as much as your post suggests. Last season I maybe saw one/two goals where it hit the defender whereas I can't remember the last time I saw a player stop and let the opposition have it.

This is partially back to your mentality issue mixed with your players mental abilities & your tactics. Think of mentality as risk, you give your player instructions as to speed of play, passing direction, length of pass & risk of pass. If he can't find a pass which fits into those instructions he plays safe and boots it when he feels under pressure. Better players have more time as they don't feel as under pressure but you still need to make sure that other players are available to receive the ball. I played fullback at Sunday league level and there was nothing worse than getting the ball off a DC then looking up to see all the players running away from you.

Can't say its something I've noticed.

Each to their own, personally I think its pretty good.

If it's a case of a player booting it into row Z because he can't find a pass that fits my instructions, then the system is flawed. As in real life a player doesn't think "Before we came out, I was told to pass it short but there are no players near me to pass to. I was told I also shouldn't run with the ball. Therefore I will boot it into the stands."

It just doesn't happen.

The 3D is simply awful.

This is a combo of some or all of: Mentality, Defensive Line, Closing Down, OI's, Creative Freedom

I have to ask but are you using 11.3 because I had a similar frustration until 11.3 fixed it? My centre-backs now close down on the half-way line and, even better, in the opposition half!

Archived