Sports Interactive Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebastianz

Counter-Attacking being the bigger club.

Pretty straight forward, how can you counter attack when you are the bigger team? Or should i really call it "counter-attacking"?

In general teams like Manchester United or Germany have all been regarded as great counter-attacking teams that are not really posession oriented, yet most of the the opponents they play against doesnt attack team as much as to counter-attack them, i mean, to counter attack you have to be attacked, then how can you exploit spaces at blistering speed like those two sides do when the opposition isnt flooding your half and gaps arent left in their defences?

I dont know if im explaining my doubts so well, but my question is pretty much that. Is it possible to counter-attack when you are supposed to be the team taking the iniciative? What is the general strategy that Germany, Manchester United or Real Madrid use to break down defensive teams? since they dont really play too much posession based football.

Thanks in advance.

I don't see why not. It has been expressed on the forums quite often that when you are a big teams other teams "park the bus". So rather than try and just batter your way through, put the brakes on, drop deeper look to draw them out and counter attack.

I can't comment on other teams strategies as I don't know enough about them

Yes but what about teams that are looking for a draw? There's no point in giving them space that they wont exploit since they are already getting the result they want.

I think counter attacking needs to be viewed as an offensive strategy as opposed to a defensive strategy.

When you think about it, if a team is playing for a draw and say have a 5 man defensive line, continually pushing up on them just compacts everything. It doesn't allow for much space to attack and invariably for the most part they seem to close you down pretty quick.

Now whilst the opposition might be happy to park it, it does put an enormous amount of pressure on them, so by you dropping deep it allows them to think the pressure is removed and they will come out and try and play more.

From there it is how you handle it. Personally I use counter attack quite often especially on a narrow pitch. So I drop quite deep, try and slow the tempo and hit them on a break through the middle

I just popped a PKM on if you want to look, basically I played counter attacking against Sunderland who played a 5 man defense. I dropped very deep slowed it down and tried to hit through the middle. Not a pretty game but it drew them out and I got the result

Everton Vs Sunderland

I think OP makes a good point some of the most successful bigger teams have used counter attacking strategies very effectively, Man Utd and Germany being good examples. Counter attacking isn't always associated with defensive playing although I think you can call it reactive football (I think Herbert Chapman came up with the idea that teams could attack too much and that dropping back would allow his teams to exploit space behind the opposition defence).

Within FM I have used this style in the past with good teams the key is to draw the opposition out. As others have suggested a deep defensive line with low tempo is needed. I used to set my defenders and defensive midfielders to short passing and then give my attacking players direct passing with plenty of through balls and forwards runs. The idea being that the opponents would be forced to move their defensive line up to avoid leaving space in the middle of the pitch making them vulnerable when my forwards got the ball and started playing a much more direct style. As an aside I never used the counter attacking tick box as this just seems to encourage players to boot the ball upfield aimlessly.

Germany and Man Utd, among many others, use a very modern definition of counter attacking. In modern day football, winning the ball high up the pitch is the most important aspect of a counter, because if you can win the ball from a fullback or centre half then even if the opponent isn't attacking, you can still overload his defence if your midfielder's make runs from deep. Barcelona are a very attacking team who often play teams who defend deep against them but they are probably the best counter attacking team in the world.

Imagine Barca playing someone like Deportivo. Two deep banks of 4, the keeper rolls it out to his right back, Pedro is on him in a flash and steals the ball. The defence has to go back towards goal, which leaves space for Messi and Villa to run into the box. Abidal can overlap, Xavi and/or Iniesta can break from midfield. Suddenly Barca are 5v4 in the box.

Today a good team can counter from anywhere on the pitch not just their own half. Which means they don't necessarily have to be attacked at all.

It is possible to do this in FM if you have a very high defensive line, and set closing down as high as you're comfortable with. If you then set your team up to counter without changing those two settings, as long as you have players good enough to play that way you can emulate the best big counter attacking teams irl.

Mourinho is IMO the best counter attacking coach. He usually sets up his teams to "counter-attack" perhaps watching a few Real Madrid games would give someone an indication on how Mourinho counter-attacks in an aggressive manner or for the old-school counter attack watch the Inter-Barcelona games last season :thup: