I am sick of this SI

Anyone else feel the need to always end on a win before quitting or is it just me that has this silly superstition?

More often than not I'll end on a loss or draw that I should have comfortably won. If I'm annoyed that I lost a silly game I know I'm not going to be making the right decision to turn it around usually. So I just save it and come back later when I've thought about where it all went wrong lol. With my inconsistency this season I rarely manage more than 3 games in a stint lol.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else feel the need to always end on a win before quitting or is it just me that has this silly superstition?

I quit when I don't win. I get annoyed when I win, go to bed, start the game the next time and lose. The only time I end on a win is the Champions League Final. ;)

Damn you winning streak affecting my sleeping patterns!

I have little choice, my team almost refuse to lose.

I usually quit a few games into a new season, or a few games into February

I find it impossible to turn the game off during a transfer window.

Sounds like you were either lucky with your tactic, or unlucky there. I finished 7th in my first season with Newcastle and also won the League Cup on one of my newer saves. When I started the next season, I lost about 10 games in a row using the same exact tactic. I just accepted that my tactic wasn't going to work and I was lucky to get to 7th in the last season. I then decided to change it, and voilà, I started winning everything. Just accept that your tactic is not going to win you every game, and try to improve it. It's your tactic, and it happens to pretty much everyone, so stop complaining and fix it :D!

I've seen this too!.. just the exact opposite.. and it was on CM.. I remember that when my team was on a bad run I just saved and stopped playing until the day after.. and 9/10 times I started winning again when I loaded the game.. :p

isn't the number less luck, and more a seed by which future random numbers are produced from? And by changing this as often as possible, the game's random element will be more random?

I always understood it as rolling a million-sided dice each time a calculation occurs. Add modifiers based on attributes (both visible, hidden and "in-game" such as exact confidence at that moment) then compare results. The seed number decides which number is face up before you cup your hand, shake, then roll. (eg that seed will be multiplied with another number based on the exact time (to the millisecond) or whatever your PC's processors random number generator uses, in such a way that the distribution will always fall equally between, say, 1 and 1,000,000. So the "seed" will affect the end number, but it's equally likely to do so in a beneficial or hindering way at any given decision?

I have got to admit that there have been many times in the past i have gone on a huge losing spree, getting stuck in the results loop (ie about four 3-2 losses in a row) got fed up and turned the game off, gone back in and thrashed a team 4-0 that i had previously lost to.

i do think sometimes turning the game off and on again can have an effect one way or t'other.

isn't the number less luck, and more a seed by which future random numbers are produced from? And by changing this as often as possible, the game's random element will be more random?

I always understood it as rolling a million-sided dice each time a calculation occurs. Add modifiers based on attributes (both visible, hidden and "in-game" such as exact confidence at that moment) then compare results. The seed number decides which number is face up before you cup your hand, shake, then roll. (eg that seed will be multiplied with another number based on the exact time (to the millisecond) or whatever your PC's processors random number generator uses, in such a way that the distribution will always fall equally between, say, 1 and 1,000,000. So the "seed" will affect the end number, but it's equally likely to do so in a beneficial or hindering way at any given decision?

You've just described luck there ;)

But yeah, that's why I said it influences it, not determines it.

An 850 match unbeaten run, seriously?

Depends where you manage - would be insanely easy to do it in the Irish leagues after a few seasons.

It's easy enough to get an unbeaten run into the 100s in the Premiership.

I am with the op on this debate as I have noticed it on numerous occassions. granted - it is random and does not happen all the time but it happens enough times to make you believe that there is a problem.

Too those that say things like i have saved and loaded numerous times during the season and only once has it happened - all well and good but try loading the same save say 6 times (use the same players and tactics) and then see how many different results you get (win, loss or draw - not actual 1-0, 2-0 etc) Then tell me that there is no problem. For those (and there are a few here) who say that they have loaded their last game and they are still winning - doing this once does not count - try repeating this a few times on the same save and see what results you get. Theoretically and statistically if you are on a good run of form, that run should continue but there will be a small chance that it will come to an end. In FM this is not the case as your run of form does not count.

I do not care what others are saying here - it happens and there is no doubt about it. Please do not give me the rubbish that it is my tactics either as this is boring (I am an experienced FM gamer and have never ever had an issue with my tactics!)

Amazingly, the information loaded into the match engine is includes "form" not "has the player just loaded up the game".

The amount of excuses people can find to not blame themselves for a loss is staggering.

Your problem is that you haven't placed the busy-mouse-pointer graphic over the "S" when you're saving.

Why do you think SI introduced the "hide" feature of the mouse behind the match engine? It's so you don't know where it is and are more likely to leave it hovering in the "lose" box.

*whistles X Files tune*

I think you've posted this in the wrong thread ha ha

now onto the OP, It's just coinsidence, you think since you won 8 in a row that when you start the game up next time you will win and you wont have to worry about tweaking anything, well i guess you lucked out there.

I guess barcelona are just so damn good they wont need to tweak anything in their next match, well guess what ? they will and so will every club.

Dont just think that since you won your previous 8 games you can guarantee yourself you will win the next game. It just doesn't work like that. Over confidence is a killer sometimes.

I think you've posted this in the wrong thread ha ha

It vaguely makes sense when you compare it to Ackter's post 2 up from mine. It's a pure coincidence that I posted that at a fairly close time to Captain Planet reviving the other thread from three months in the graveyard.

You've just described luck there ;)

But yeah, that's why I said it influences it, not determines it.

What I mean is it isn't a "good luck" or "bad luck" figure. Any one given seed number will be neither lucky nor unlucky for the user or the AI. The exact moment you press continue will have as much of an affect on the outcome of the game as the seed, and will be equally neutral.

Yup. I tried explaining that as well. Didn't seem to work.

thats because its easier for folk to think "SI have ruined FM" rather than actually think about why things go wrong.

I have seen this banded about for years and its still rubbish, you dont lose form or gain form by re-loading the game, its does nothing to how your team is playing or how your team moral is. All this nonsense about re-loading games over and over to compare results is also complete nonsense, first off they try to compare it to reality, which obviously is just a waste of time because you cannot re-load real life and replay the game over a result is final, no matter how good or bad it is, in FM its only final if you choose it to be. Secondly anything can happen on any given day as the old saying goes, yes you could win a game 1-0 but if you conceeded early you could have lost 6-0, anything that happens in a game changes direction of the game, so again its pointless re-playing or re-loading over and over because 1 thing different, 1 chance, 1 foul, 1 mis-pass can completely change the outcome of a game.

People really need to sit back, breath, and think before they start ranting about this rubbish.

Your opinion is ridiculous.

Just stop and think about what you have posted. There is a bug in the game that causes you to lose when you resume a save?? From the OP, I can only assume you are about 14yeas old.

Sounds like you're simply doing something wrong whether it's tactics or maybe your players have reached a level of tiredness that sees them under-perform and this has simply coincided with you saving the game.

I'm afraid this is a bug. Not just FM11 either, it's been present on other versions. Previously it's been patched out, this version patches seem to have been adding as many bugs as they remove.

This happens to me every time I resume, and 7 Premier League's, 3 Champions league's, 3 FA Cup's, and 1 League cup says it's not my tactic's. Also if complacency was an issue then it would manifest itself long before you restart a game, if you play for a long time. It's very annoying, but you can play through it as long as you can accept losing some games through no fault of your own.

We're at the point now where dogma is clouding almost all issues with the game. The haters would find fault with the game even if it was perfect, and the head in the sand mob will always believe the game to be without fault despite any evidence.

Neither case are helped by people daft enough to think that this is, or has ever been, a problem.

It has never been "fixed" in a patch, ever, as it has never existed.

Feel free to check back through all of the patch notes (which are generated straight from SI's fix log) to see.

Oh, and if we're backing it up with in-game achievements, 37 Premierships, 32 Champions Leagues and more cups than I care to shake a stick at show that the bug doesn't exist.

I'm afraid this is a bug. Not just FM11 either, it's been present on other versions. Previously it's been patched out, this version patches seem to have been adding as many bugs as they remove.

This happens to me every time I resume, and 7 Premier League's, 3 Champions league's, 3 FA Cup's, and 1 League cup says it's not my tactic's. Also if complacency was an issue then it would manifest itself long before you restart a game, if you play for a long time. It's very annoying, but you can play through it as long as you can accept losing some games through no fault of your own.

We're at the point now where dogma is clouding almost all issues with the game. The haters would find fault with the game even if it was perfect, and the head in the sand mob will always believe the game to be without fault despite any evidence.

All those trophies say is that the team is good enough to win things, but obviously not everything otherwise it would be 7 premierships, 7 CL's (or 6), 7 FA cups and 7 league cups. The simple matter of fact is sending your star striker into a match at 93% conditioning may mean he is not as up to it as a player who starts on the bench at 100%. The AI teams defenders may be that bit ahead on condition and this continues throughout the game so despite scoring 200 goals in his last 200 games, this game he's up against a good defender who is fitter (at the moment) and just as fast and strong as he is. Come half time your strikers morale may have gone down from being bossed, or he may have had a few hard challenges and lost more of his condition, now the 4/5% gap has widened to 10/11% and he's even further off being as fresh as the CB.

It happens, or are you merely suggesting that because you won those trophies you should win every game? Winning runs should continue forever and no one should ever lose? What happens when you come up against an AI team on a similar run?

I think Birmingham got this bug after their carling cup win IRL....

Awesome!

OP. This is the funniest thing i have ever heard. Some people will blame anything. I think it's complacency if you are on a 8 game unbeaten run. You must be bigging your team up in every press conference and praising then after every win, whether it's 1-0 at home or 8-0 away.

All those trophies say is that the team is good enough to win things, but obviously not everything otherwise it would be 7 premierships, 7 CL's (or 6), 7 FA cups and 7 league cups. The simple matter of fact is sending your star striker into a match at 93% conditioning may mean he is not as up to it as a player who starts on the bench at 100%. The AI teams defenders may be that bit ahead on condition and this continues throughout the game so despite scoring 200 goals in his last 200 games, this game he's up against a good defender who is fitter (at the moment) and just as fast and strong as he is. Come half time your strikers morale may have gone down from being bossed, or he may have had a few hard challenges and lost more of his condition, now the 4/5% gap has widened to 10/11% and he's even further off being as fresh as the CB.

It happens, or are you merely suggesting that because you won those trophies you should win every game? Winning runs should continue forever and no one should ever lose? What happens when you come up against an AI team on a similar run?

Those trophies say the players, the tactics, and the manager are sound and establish that all three are unlikely to be at fault for long losing runs after re-load.

Your observations are absolutely correct, all of which I learnt many years ago (having played the game since the mid 90's). I've seen many issues from lack of fitness, non of which only affect players exclusively after reloading the game.

It's a moot point anyway because this was a known issue on previous versions of FM and were addressed by SI at the time, after admitting to the issue. Don't you think it's more likely a recurrence of the same issue?

The game has many faults without the need to invent others.
I don't agree, the game has only a few faults after months of patching. This is one of those faults, it's unfortunate but as I said earlier I can live with it as I can with most bugs. What annoys me is criticism from a position of ignorance and blind denial for the same reason.

Feel free to provide proof, which no-one has.

Feel free to provide proof of it happening in past versions as well.

I call 2 more posts before you feel the need to wheel out a certain term that shall be frowned upon.

Archived