The silly season; those moments you left your sanity in your other pants

...and don't ask me why I would think anyone's sanity would be in their pants to begin with.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering if anyone every has those moments of complete insanity in the transfer market, where they just stop caring about their transfer budget, wage bill and just go nuts? The thought occured to me over the signing of a 16 year old French striker for my Honvéd side for around £16.5 mil on a 5 year £6k per week contract. This on its own seems a tad nuts, however it gets worse when you consider the rest of my squad (at the time). I had a wage bill of £40k per week, so he was 15% of my wagebill at the time. Not only that by 40k a week over a whole season is a mere £2.08 mil per year. His transfer for more than 8 times my wage bill per year! Sure he's a damn good player, and a striker no less, but I'm still confused as to why I did it. Has anyone else done anything similar, or in fact to an even greater extent?

That Honvéd had £16m to blow on a French striker in the first place is an achievement! I still haven't spent more than £2m on any player in FM11, despite my Szolnok side having about a £40m budget. My problem, like some other posters suggest, is running out of squad numbers thanks to freebies and cheap youth prospects.

I usually lose interest in games I go overboard in signings with.

With Luton every season from the BSP until I arrived into the Premiership I had the best players in the league I was in but only ever had around 17 players in my squad and relied on not getting injuries to get promoted and a horrendous wage deficit which saw my financial control stat down to 4%!

That Honvéd had £16m to blow on a French striker in the first place is an achievement! I still haven't spent more than £2m on any player in FM11, despite my Szolnok side having about a £40m budget. My problem, like some other posters suggest, is running out of squad numbers thanks to freebies and cheap youth prospects.

How are you doing with Szolnok? They've been yoyoing on my game. It's annoying in the Hungarian League as Debrecen are being managed by a moron and as such as struggling to get out of the midtable, and I need them to help me in Europe to get our coefficients up. On their day they are fantastic, but really are struggling in the league, I've began selling players to them in order to get them going again, and it's not working!

How are you doing with Szolnok? They've been yoyoing on my game. It's annoying in the Hungarian League as Debrecen are being managed by a moron and as such as struggling to get out of the midtable, and I need them to help me in Europe to get our coefficients up. On their day they are fantastic, but really are struggling in the league, I've began selling players to them in order to get them going again, and it's not working!

Debrecen in real life are having a mediocre season too, just finished fifth. The problem in FM is the same as in real life - they end up having to sell their top players abroad. I'd rather see somebody like Videoton (Fehérvár), Újpest or even the dreaded Ferencváros push on in FM11 anyway - Fehérvár are usually strong in my Hungarian league saves.

Szolnok in FM11 are quite a bit overrated - in real life they've just had a very poor season finishing rock bottom of the NBI - and so I find it very easy to overachieve with them. In my latest save I have a team comprised basically of young Africans romping to the latter stages of the CL every year. I can't really bring myself to use any other club though, because Szolnok's the place I have most affinity for from my time in Hungary. Thus, my most recent habit is creating my own Szolnok club from scratch (which is what I did in Football Manager Live while it was, well, live) and starting out in the third division with no players - that's much more of a challenge.

I've just started working on a database regionalising the Hungarian Lower Division, which I've renamed Regionális Bajnokság - into 18 subdivisions and adding B clubs to all the semi-professional or professional teams who lack them. Starting out with a rep 1 amateur team in a rep 1 league ought to be fun!

Debrecen in real life are having a mediocre season too, just finished fifth. The problem in FM is the same as in real life - they end up having to sell their top players abroad. I'd rather see somebody like Videoton (Fehérvár), Újpest or even the dreaded Ferencváros push on in FM11 anyway - Fehérvár are usually strong in my Hungarian league saves.

Szolnok in FM11 are quite a bit overrated - in real life they've just had a very poor season finishing rock bottom of the NBI - and so I find it very easy to overachieve with them. In my latest save I have a team comprised basically of young Africans romping to the latter stages of the CL every year. I can't really bring myself to use any other club though, because Szolnok's the place I have most affinity for from my time in Hungary. Thus, my most recent habit is creating my own Szolnok club from scratch (which is what I did in Football Manager Live while it was, well, live) and starting out in the third division with no players - that's much more of a challenge.

I've just started working on a database regionalising the Hungarian Lower Division, which I've renamed Regionális Bajnokság - into 18 subdivisions and adding B clubs to all the semi-professional or professional teams who lack them. Starting out with a rep 1 amateur team in a rep 1 league ought to be fun!

Sounds fun! Ujpest got an immediate Group Stage position in the Champions League thanks to my Honvéd side and Debrecen past years (Hungary got one group stage position, but I got immediate qualification after winning). They got mauled! Completely mauled! Oh well, Nemezeti Bajnoksag I is now up to a 3 star league! I hope I got the name and that right, I spent some time making my own name files after about a season and getting sick of seeing the name "Hungarian Division I".

Have you had the Magyar Kupa (Hungarian Cup) Final bug before? Where it falls on a day that is in the next season, essentially cancelling preseason and preventing the board from doing anything? It also cancels the Magyar Kupa for that year!

This actually happened to me last week. i was dutifully negotitating for a 6ft 8 french 22 year old with fantastic stats and then in a rush of blood to head combined with a bad day went "sod it" and bought out his contract release clause at 68 million, plunging the club hugely into debt in the process. Oops.

On FM10 i created a team put them in conferance North and suger daddied them. Went a little weird after sucsessive promotions and some pretty decent names playing for me i rebuilt the whole squad for League two.

Came second that year for a third promotion but it was the only year i didnt win the league till i hit the championship. In league one (won it first year) i actually rebought 5 or 6 members of the team i sold from the conferance because id actually WEAKENED the team. So daft.

never got out the championship played half a season and FM11 came out.

Sounds fun! Ujpest got an immediate Group Stage position in the Champions League thanks to my Honvéd side and Debrecen past years (Hungary got one group stage position, but I got immediate qualification after winning). They got mauled! Completely mauled! Oh well, Nemezeti Bajnoksag I is now up to a 3 star league! I hope I got the name and that right, I spent some time making my own name files after about a season and getting sick of seeing the name "Hungarian Division I".

There's an inc file elsewhere on the web that renames just about every division in the game to its proper name. I can send you a link if you'd like - I'm not sure I'm meant to post that on these boards. I'm currently playing in the Monicomp Liga (the sponsor's name for NBI), with my B club in the Ness Hungary NBII (again, sponsor's name), and my main club holders of the Borsodi Szuperkupa, Magyar Kupa, and Magyar Ligakupa.

As for the Champions' League, Debrecen or Videoton in my game usually finish third or fourth in their group - they're no longer being utterly thrashed but they still aren't getting regular results against the top or second seeds in their group. Most seasons nowadays they've a couple of my fringe players on loan, which helps them immensely - my backups are about the level of their stars. It's frustrating seeing them crash out because I've taken the league as high as I can get it myself, 11th in Europe. It's going to need one or two of the other clubs to push on to take it any farther, and there still simply isn't the money in the Hungarian game to do that.

Have you had the Magyar Kupa (Hungarian Cup) Final bug before? Where it falls on a day that is in the next season, essentially cancelling preseason and preventing the board from doing anything? It also cancels the Magyar Kupa for that year!

I've played the cup final after season end, usually in seasons where there's an African Nations' Cup which lengthens the winter break. I've never had it cancelled the following year though. It cracks me up having the players return from their holidays and all my new signings in before the cup final.

I told myself my Rangers team couldn't afford to sign anybody new as I was putting it all on 48 month deals and it was slowly bankrupting us. I then found a world beater who my scouts said would be interested and promptly spent £12mil on him. The KEY game that I had in mind when I brought him, the yearly first knock-out round/quarter final against barcelona/real madrid (:() he was banned for! The bastard!

Archived