The Art Of Squad Rotation

Introduction

In this thread I’m going to attempt to explain my methodology in my squad rotation system, I'm playing with a Manchester City so I’m aware this maybe harder to implement lower down the leagues but I’m sure it's possible to an extent.

Ok here goes.

Squad rotation is an important factor in the modern game we see today, with an ever increasing fixture list and injuries mounting up it's important we have players who are ready, willing and able to come into the side and perform to a level which is beneficial to the entire squad.

There are lots of different ways to rotate your squad, you could do it by performance, fitness change in system the list goes on but the system which works for me incorporates all of these and a bit more

The Scene

I was up against Liverpool, who has fallen from grace somewhat in my save, mid table and underperforming, but make no mistake they are Underperforming.

I struggled for a couple of reasons, their pitch is small and tight and they play with a central midfield which will kick u all day long in a 4-2-3-1 system. Now I’m playing with a 4-4-2 with AMR & AML’s there man in the hole caused my problems all game, but that was the tip of the iceberg my biggest problem was getting in positions to score against them they played with big strong lumps who defended deep.

caduprofileattributes3.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

He didn’t get a kick; He’d be banging them in a playing well in my previous games why wasn’t he doing the business here? Then it dawned on me, he was the wrong man for the job, Anticipation 14 against defenders with position 16+ c’mon. His pace couldn’t utilised as there was no space in behind.

Maybe this guy could help?

sergiogarateprofileattr.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is when I realised that my management of my squad is of paramount importance to how well I play, find yourself playing against a struggling team at home why not rotate out your steady right back’s who get up and down ok and switch in your creative one’s who don’t defend as well but can slide the ball down the channel for your “Cadu” to chase.

The biggest rewards come at the end of the season, when your into April and your players and showing up with 100% condition, telling you they are in supreme shape whilst your opponents at 85%. Play keep ball for an hour and make them run a bit more and then hit them hard late on.

These are the benefits of having a clever system where everyone gets playing time and everyone is happy because they are getting playing time.

This is just a small example but one I just had to share.

I agree completely with the concept of squad rotation. The benefits are obvious, with the ability to adapt to different situations by bringing on different players to increase defensive stability, help find that elusive goal with some more creative players etc. It even allows you to change formation.

However a poor squad rotation system, can end up with too many players or worse, too many highly paid players. On the other hand a well managed squad rotation system, allows youth to come through efficiently, and can actually be cheaper (if you choose to sell at the right time).

I employ a basic rotation system on my Arsenal game. I have the CM slots open to creative players such as Ramsey, Wilshere and Paulo Henrique or more defensive players like Song, Sissoko and Petit. At AM I can play Fabregas for creativity and some defensive ability, or Arshavin/Nasri for a more direct approach. At AML there's more creative players or direct dribblers or even an inside forward striker.

All these different players mean that my team is highly changeable and normally very fit.

I could not agree more, I had to sell off a very good mid fielder because I have just too many ill upload some images when I get back home, I could use him but the stupid home grown rules make squad management that bit more challenging

I agree completely with the concept of squad rotation. The benefits are obvious, with the ability to adapt to different situations by bringing on different players to increase defensive stability, help find that elusive goal with some more creative players etc. It even allows you to change formation.

However a poor squad rotation system, can end up with too many players or worse, too many highly paid players. On the other hand a well managed squad rotation system, allows youth to come through efficiently, and can actually be cheaper (if you choose to sell at the right time).

I employ a basic rotation system on my Arsenal game. I have the CM slots open to creative players such as Ramsey, Wilshere and Paulo Henrique or more defensive players like Song, Sissoko and Petit. At AM I can play Fabregas for creativity and some defensive ability, or Arshavin/Nasri for a more direct approach. At AML there's more creative players or direct dribblers or even an inside forward striker.

All these different players mean that my team is highly changeable and normally very fit.

I just started an arsenal save and also bought Sissoko :p. He's done brilliantly so far and I'd say the best addition to the squad possible. If I wan't to keep things tight I play Sissoko with Song and if I need some attacking spark I play players like Diaby and Ramsey with Song or Sissoko as to balance things out. Denilson is used if I want a hard working creative player and sometimes I use Denilson together with Diaby when I wan't to play really attacking against weaker sides. I rotate Wilshere with Fabregas on AMC or with Walcott as AML. Nasri, Archavin and Rosicky play mostly AMR but also get a few games as AMC and AML.

My goal of squad rotation is to keep everyone fit and give everyone enough first team starts so everyone can keep improving and there is pressure on every position to perform. I always try to sneak young players into my first 11 in easier games which usually works out well as they have a lot of drive to perform and if backed by my more experienced players the team stays solid. The only thing I don't like is rotating Van Persie as I wan't him to become the best goalscorer in the league but with Roony playing almost every game for ManU he is already way ahead so I might have to give up on that.

This is Definitely the case with the AI and Rooney he's always played till he's about to drop luckily his stamina and natural fitness means he copes with it better than most.

Here is my central midfield, and i'll post the guy i needed to sell after my current crop:-

Ender Can

endercanprofileattribut.png

Vitaliy Mikheev

vitaliymikheevprofileat.png

Luca Mancini

lucamanciniprofileattri.png

Rodrigo

franciscorodrigoprofile.png

Throw into the mix Andrea Poli, who i may actually sell he's been with me since the start he's getting on and he's just not performing as well as the others. All of this meant

Leo Lalic had to be sold

leolalicprofileattribut.png

The Price? 20 Million with 50% of his next fee going in my pocket.

This is more than a squad rotation system, it's a delicate balancing act where we have to balance not only the books, but morale, player happiness, player fitness, rules and regulations etc. If we can manage our squads well we can run not a football club but a dynasty.

Archived