TBHs best 442 - My Old FM09 Tactics - Now converted for FM11 - Suited for underdogs !

TBHs Converted FM09 Tactics

The Flat 442

Mainly for MiddleTeams and Underdogs.

ZShare Download Link

Filefront Download Link

For those that remember, I made some plug & play tactics for FM09 suited for middle teams and underdogs. A week ago, I decided to load up FM09 and FM11 to manually convert these into this years edition. Naturally, I choose Classic Mode, just like in the old days. The Formation I chose was my all time favourite, the 442. In this thread, you will find 3 different version of the same tactic.

• Cautious
  • Standard
  • More Attacking

The reason for having 3 versions is to make sure that once you have gained success (and hopefully having strengthened your team) and teams start playing more cautious against you, you might have to play more attacking.

In short, there are 3 ways of playing with these tactics.

• Using the version that suit your current status
  • Using one version as a home tactic and one as a away tactic
  • Using all 3 as a set, making in-game and pre-game choices depending on the match odds and circumstances

Example

Aston Villa – Standard or using all 3 depending on the match odds

Blackpool – Cautious or using Standard as a home version and Cautious when on the road

Man U ( what, a top team??) – Yeah, it can be used with them as well – More Attacking

formationw.png

THE TACTIC - STANDARD VERSION

Flow of the Game

We play rather aggressive, direct and rely on counter attacks. We focus our play through the middle and whilst both central midfielders are set to hold up the ball, they still hit direct t-balls into channels for our wingers or attackers to run onto, either down the flank or through the middle. We can still hold possession in a nice way but if facing really good teams that sits deep with lots of men behind the ball, our approach might not work, just like in real life if Man U decided to go out and win 1-0 against you at Old Trafford by playing in a rigid and cautious approach.

The Defence, Marking System and Press

We use Zonal marking through out the whole approach and at the back, tight marking is our way along with a reasonably high press. If you have really slow defenders with poor anticipation (i.e. being a underdog in a poorer league with some really good teams, like Greece, Turkey, Holland),I think this approach will perhaps fail. I must confess that I have only tried it in the 3 top tiers in England with teams like Wolves, Bolton, Ipswich, Scunthorpe (and more).

The Attack

Here, we use a left Forward that play on the shoulder of the last defender and moves into channels, holding up the ball until the rest of the team pushes up. To his right, we have a player that also moves into channels bit from deep. Both players, if playing with a middle team, get on the score sheet.

The Midfield

Here, our wingers don’t really act like normal wingers but more like defensive Inside forwards. They run with the ball but rarely make that direct t-ball or opening cross. Instead they try to drag the opponents apart by their movement and when getting the ball in the final third they tend to either make a easy pass after dribbling our go straight at goal

In the center of the park, we use one strong ball winning midfielder, playing higher up in the pitch and one more deep dropping creative MC that always looks for free space, roaming.

KEY PLAYERS AND KEY STATS

As usual, having really pacey attackers is a huge bonus, just like having a determined midfield and defenders with high stats in concentration and stamina. When playing with an underdog. Don’t use or sign a player just because he has a big name. Look at their stats instead and make use of the fact that team players are far more important than flair and dribbling. Apart from this, make sure that your Strong Ball winning MC is actually the strongest and best ball winner amongst your Central Mids just like your more creative one is the most creative and intelligent one

THE TEAM SETTINGS

Cautious- Standard – Attack

teamsettings.png

THE TACTIC – THE OTHER VERSIONS

More Attacking

Here, the Wingers are pushed up to AMR/L. We play more attacking, using more width, playing more aggressive, playing shorter in a slower tempo. In short, we play higher up in the pitch trying to get the ball back in possession and when getting it, we play more patient to break up the more defensive opponents

Cautious

Here, we play very cautious with few runs form deep and lots of players holding up the ball, all within a more narrow and tighter formation

MATCH PREPERATION INSEASON

If you have a good understanding of the game mechanism, then use your knowledge. If you have to ask, then I would not tinker to much with it but instead use none or Defensive positioning

OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS

If you have a good understanding of the game mechanism, then use your knowledge. If you have to ask, then I would not tinker with it at all, perhaps leaving it to your assistant manager if he can handle it. Personally, I use them a great deal when micro managing and I concentrate on dangermen with specific competence as well as disturbing the build up of the opposition

TEAM TALK

Again, if you have a good understanding of the game mechanism, then use your knowledge. If you have to ask, then I would not tinker too much with it, perhaps leaving it to your assistant manager

PITCH SIZE

I like a standard pitch, not too long, not too short. Not too wide, not too narrow. Boring answer eh. :D

RESULTS

Look in the following posts

T

What tactic was you using for Wolves? 11 games into my season i put all 3 tactics into match prep, set it to defensive positioning on average and went with more cautiously against Tottenham away. Despite playing some decent stuff when in possession, i was getting mullered and at 50mins was down 2-0. I went with standard and within 25 mins scored 2 very good goals. However due to bad defending i conceded in the last min but tbf the game could have gone either way.

One bad thing i noticed was how at least one centre back would close down too far and too much and leave big gaps in the final third and this contributed to two goals. Is this just a simple case of the tactic having not settled in well yet? Even when playing sides like Spurs away should i use the standard tactic seeing as i offered very little threat/looked more vulnerable using cautious?

Tbf there, first impressions very good and im going to stick with this.

Does it have anything to with the fact I'm using Chrome? I'll try with IE

Nope, exactly the same happening on there. Would love to try your tactic if you can put it on another download site or send it to by email. Thanks.

Just notice Ronnie55 having no luck either.

Does it have anything to with the fact I'm using Chrome? I'll try with IE

Nope, exactly the same happening on there. Would love to try your tactic if you can put it on another download site or send it to by email. Thanks. timcliffsmith@yahoo.co.uk

Just notice Ronnie55 having no luck either.

No idea why it does not work. Anyway, I new Download Link is up in the Opening Post ( The filefront link)

Just tried the Cautious version with a top team( Porto) for 15 matches and it seems like it works incredible well. In the domestic games, we won all but one where we got 2 fluke goals against us and a red card on the 34 minute, scoring 43 goals, conceeding 5.

So this version cab also be used as a boring, boring approach if wanting to win the league :D. As the opponent just sit back, we get a very high possession and we have great players, the players make the goals rather than the tactic. Boring, eh :D

I'll try it out with Arsenal, starting second season now. May not have the right players for i but we'll see how it works out ^^

Think I'm going with the attack version for home games and standard for away games.

For the wingers, walcott/nasri .... do they lack to much defensive skills?

squad:

muun.jpg

I'll try it out with Arsenal, starting second season now. May not have the right players for i but we'll see how it works out ^^

Think I'm going with the attack version for home games and standard for away games.

For the wingers, walcott/nasri .... do they lack to much defensive skills?

squad:

muun.jpg

You will do alright with that squad.

Afternoon TBH, am giving this set a go in my first PL season with Leeds, have made some decent signings, nothing spectacular, but am expecting to stay up fairly comfortably. Starting 11 will look something like this.

GK - Schmeichal

DR - Clyne

CB - Burdisso

CB - Ridgwell

LB - Insua

RM - Snodgrass

CM - Van Bommel

CM - Adam

LM - Whittingham

ST - Wickham

ST - Delfouneso

I was thinking Cautious for most Away games, and to see games out, with Standard for the rest. Only using attack to chase a goal / against lower league sides in the cup. What do you think of this approach ? Would you be more bullish at home and start out with attack against teams around me ?

Thanks, would also love to try out the old wide 4-2-3-1 :)

Afternoon TBH, am giving this set a go in my first PL season with Leeds, have made some decent signings, nothing spectacular, but am expecting to stay up fairly comfortably. Starting 11 will look something like this.

GK - Schmeichal

DR - Clyne

CB - Burdisso

CB - Ridgwell

LB - Insua

RM - Snodgrass

CM - Van Bommel

CM - Adam

LM - Whittingham

ST - Wickham

ST - Delfouneso

I was thinking Cautious for most Away games, and to see games out, with Standard for the rest. Only using attack to chase a goal / against lower league sides in the cup. What do you think of this approach ? Would you be more bullish at home and start out with attack against teams around me ?

Thanks, would also love to try out the old wide 4-2-3-1 :)

This is the current version ( not a 4231 though, a 4321 )

Standard4321

Would you recommend this coupled with the original standard version or instead of?

Neither. Its just one more formation that I have converted from FM09. If you have the players for a Wide 4321, then its a better tactic but if not, then the 442 is better. I am currently making the defenisve and moreattakcing version in a new save

Hi TBH!

Great work as always! Your Espanyol save shows the same problem as my current save. Playing with Eintracht Frankfurt in Bundesliga after 17 games we played 9 times draw (6x 1:1, 2x 2:2, 1x 0:0). Because of this we only sit on 10th place around christmas. So when I compare to your save I dont't expect to play for the ECC spots. :(

Hi TBH!

Great work as always! Your Espanyol save shows the same problem as my current save. Playing with Eintracht Frankfurt in Bundesliga after 17 games we played 9 times draw (6x 1:1, 2x 2:2, 1x 0:0). Because of this we only sit on 10th place around christmas. So when I compare to your save I dont't expect to play for the ECC spots. :(

What tactic is this with ? . Anyway, In my save with Espanyol, I cant say that I found the many draws to be a problem as such. We had a media prediction of 12th and finished 4th, getting a place in the CL next season. If only we had a better attacking force, we would have won half of the draws as well.

Using standard all the time. Have to say that your set pieces instructions are really good! Solid at the back and lethal upfront. Scored 5 times after corners and 3 times after freekicks.

Whats your strike partnership at Espanyol? I used Gekas and Amanatidis for my side and they really struggled to score.

Played first game with cautious tactic on my Grimsby save in leauge 1. After a bad start to the season I abandoned my previously reliable diamond for your tactics. Drew 0-0 at home to Morcambe, not a great result in itself, but happy as its our first point of the season.

Had a whopping 70% possession, but only 11 shots, 3 on target and 10 were long shots. I think I should have changed to standard or maybe even attacking for this game. I have also set long shots to rarely for all players as all my players have weak long shot attributes and I hate long shots on FM11.

Will give more feedback when I've played a few more games and with each approach. Thanks for the upload.

I tested the Standard tactic with my beloved Spurs in the 2nd season. I Holidayed the entire season, and came 6th.

BUT, I did the treble of FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League! Only holidaying!

Well done mate for a brilliant tactic :D

braga-bragares.png

A good start using the standard tactic, them reserves struggled to get into my half of the pitch, pretty much what I was expecting to be honest.

For crosses it seamed like to many players was making runs into the box and so geting to far ahead of the ball which droped down behind them, creating openings for the opposing team to counter (well a better team might would have managed to counter anyway), im not sure if this is a byproduct of the tactic, my players lack of fluidness with it or simply my players not being good enough at crossing, but it could still be something to look at.

For crosses it seamed like to many players was making runs into the box and so geting to far ahead of the ball which droped down behind them, creating openings for the opposing team to counter (well a better team might would have managed to counter anyway), im not sure if this is a byproduct of the tactic, my players lack of fluidness with it or simply my players not being good enough at crossing, but it could still be something to look at.

If its the observations form one single match, its probably more down to the facts that the reserves sat with their whole team behind the ball, being in a good defensive position to make clearances. After being 3-0 up after 16 minutes, its also a good chance that the players got complacent and did not bother aiming correctly with their crosses. But, if you see a pattern in the competitive matches, I am most interested in this.

Cheers

l

hello....wanna try this tactic...but would u mind if u make a player filter...

Actually, a general uploaded player filter would probably do more damage than good. The though behind this tactic is that is can be used with every single underdog and middle club in the world. In all countries, at all levels. This means that its impossible making one single player filter to suit teams in the EPL, BSN, Swedish 2ND division etc.

If you tell me what team you are using (and what season at what level), I can tell you what my approach in player picking would have been in terms of important stats for each position

Actually, a general uploaded player filter would probably do more damage than good. The though behind this tactic is that is can be used with every single underdog and middle club in the world. In all countries, at all levels. This means that its impossible making one single player filter to suit teams in the EPL, BSN, Swedish 2ND division etc.

If you tell me what team you are using (and what season at what level), I can tell you what my approach in player picking would have been in terms of important stats for each position

right now wanna try this tactic with everton in 1st season....dont have money to stregthen the squad...but i think using the standard tactic will do right? but wat is the most important attribute for each position...

right now wanna try this tactic with everton in 1st season....dont have money to stregthen the squad...but i think using the standard tactic will do right? but wat is the most important attribute for each position...

Well, at top level, and you want to push for Europe, I would consider these stats the most important

Center back: I like mine to be intelligent and hardworking over just being string and good in the air

- Positioning, Marking, Decision. First Touch, Anticipation along with Work Rate and Determination

fullbacks: Basically the same as the Center Backs but with some more pace and with good passing

Creative MC:This player is the one that makes the most t-balls

Decision-Creativity-Passing - the stronger he is, the better

The Ballwinner_ This player needs to be able to break up attacks

Positioning, Marking, Tackling, Anticipation, Strength, Decision, Work Rate, Determination

The Wingers: Here we use deep sitting wing forwards so the focus is on speed and dribbling

Decision, Anticipation, Pace, Acceleration, Dribbling, Passing, Finishing etc

The Strikers - As written before, the Left one should be the stronger and with good dribbling skills. the right one sits deeper and joins later in the attacks, needing to be able to read the game good, like a poacher

No more specific skills apart form the obvious, they should be able to find space ( off the ball, anticipation) and score goals.

Well, at top level, and you want to push for Europe, I would consider these stats the most important

Center back: I like mine to be intelligent and hardworking over just being string and good in the air

- Positioning, Marking, Decision. First Touch, Anticipation along with Work Rate and Determination

fullbacks: Basically the same as the Center Backs but with some more pace and with good passing

Creative MC:This player is the one that makes the most t-balls

Decision-Creativity-Passing - the stronger he is, the better

The Ballwinner_ This player needs to be able to break up attacks

Positioning, Marking, Tackling, Anticipation, Strength, Decision, Work Rate, Determination

The Wingers: Here we use deep sitting wing forwards so the focus is on speed and dribbling

Decision, Anticipation, Pace, Acceleration, Dribbling, Passing, Finishing etc

The Strikers - As written before, the Left one should be the stronger and with good dribbling skills. the right one sits deeper and joins later in the attacks, needing to be able to read the game good, like a poacher

No more specific skills apart form the obvious, they should be able to find space ( off the ball, anticipation) and score goals.

thanks:).....will try it...currently have use it for 4 games in epl...sitting 2nd.lost away against arsenal..but the tactic stil not fluid...what i see here, it took a longer time to fill the gauge bar....

reporting after 10 games....sit 2nd behind totenham....from what i see is..i always concede from set pieces...sometimes 3 times in a games..corner is the things that i most hated...luckily i managed to beat them 5-4...did u thing it is bcoz of tactic or the ME itself....

Looking at the results, it looks like the cautious tactic is the most successful. How successful have you been using the standard or more atackign versions of the 4-4-2? I saw your results with Wolves and while impressive they aren't as impressive as the Scunthorpe results.

Looking at the results, it looks like the cautious tactic is the most successful. How successful have you been using the standard or more atackign versions of the 4-4-2? I saw your results with Wolves and while impressive they aren't as impressive as the Scunthorpe results.

Well, thats basiclly becasue the CCC lacks really good players so when playing in the Prem, the tactics means less when facing the likes of Rooney, van Persie etc

reporting after 10 games....sit 2nd behind totenham....from what i see is..i always concede from set pieces...sometimes 3 times in a games..corner is the things that i most hated...luckily i managed to beat them 5-4...did u thing it is bcoz of tactic or the ME itself....

I have not touched the set pieces as I leave that to the user to tweak so actually, I have no idea

Archived