Converting chances into nothing

My first European Away Game since I took the manager spot at AFC Ajax, was a rather strange one.

I encountered very little resistance from Young Boys, yet somehow the match was a direct attack on the rhytm of my heart. Some of the most used shouts were; "How could you miss that, &$^#*" and "Slot it in man, lazy %$&%*".

Match Statistics:

ybvsafcamatchstats.jpg

So, 25 shots, 13 on target, 10 off target, 12 CCC's, which resulted in three goals and one penalty.

What could be the causes?

- Player attributes/ppm's

- Tactics

- Teamtalks

Player attributes/ppm's

When I looked at the Analysis page, I saw this:

ybvsafcaysis.jpg

Demy de Zeeuw made two nice goals, by dribbling into the box unchallenged and finishing nicely. He also missed a chance, but it was at least on target.

Stats: finishing 11 composure 16 decisions 14 determination 16 and no notable ppm's

Lodeiro slotted his only ccc, his stats are fin 12 comp 14 dec 14 det 14

Sulejmani managed to miss the goal from the mindblowing distance of two meters from the goalkeeper. Stats 13, 10, 12, 13

The opposite winger, Cvitanich scored from the spot and missed a hell of a ccc. Stats: 15, 13, 13, 13

Mister f*ck-up himself, El Hamdaoui missed 4 ccc's and one half chance, and all of his shots were taken just on the edge of the box. Stats 14, 15, 15, 17 and PPM tries first time shots, places shots

Eriksen also managed to miss from 5 yards, but with finishing 9 and composure 11 he is allowed.

Replacement of ElHam, de Jong, also missed two good chances and two shot with his weaker leg. Stats 12, 14, 13, 11

All of the above have very decent technique and first touch stats, so that cannot be it. Especially ElHam should not miss this many chances, nor should the others.

Tactics

4-5-1 with Tempo set at the last notch of medium.

Teamtalks

First half I used We can win this, as the players did not seem complacent/nervous and we were only very slight favourites.

Half time I choose Encourage and You have faith for the better boys. No reaction other than looked delighted or morale boost, happy.

Conclusion

Anyone come across this? Mediocre to good finishers missing chances and driving you insane? Anyone conquered this?

Concerning the ppm of el hamdaoui, why does try first time shots make him shoot from the edge of the box when under no real pressure?

Why does de Jong, without the same PPM, copy his behaviour? Is my Tempo too fast? Used the wrong teamtalks (squad is regarded professional)?

I like this game very much and the result of the match as well :p, but I am curious what the solution is to converting chances into nothing.

Regards, Zimmah

I'd say it's bad luck. I'm experiencing something similar with Ricky van Wolfswinkel (I play FC Utrecht :p). He won the golden boot the first season and is now on a ridiculous goal drought. He is missing the most obvious chances and his attributes haven't changed much (he only gained some strength I believe). In my case it is probably a combination of bad luck and teams playing more defensive since I won last season quite convincingly.

Archived