is tight marking a bad thing?

something i am now very aware of,i have had both my cd's set to tight marking but goals are shipped when the opposition striker recieves the ball and turns whichever cd inside out and is clean through on goal,i now have both cd's set to not mark tight and defence is rock solid,the opposition receives the ball tries to turn but is now intercepted by said cd.it seems they also keep there shape very nicely so those defence splitting through balls are now few and far between.

It can be bad or good depending on your opposition and how the rest of your team plays. Generally you don't want to tight mark the speedy nimble players who can turn your defenders or out pace them on through balls. The big, strong and technically less able strikers are better candidates to tight mark as they won't have the agility to turn your defenders and if you give them too much room they might be able to receive the ball unchallenged or they have enough room to turn anyway despite their lack of agility. That's just a guideline tho and I have to admit I usually just leave my defenders on the settings they are at (I believe tight marking) and only when they have a really threatening pacey forward I would set an IO to never tight mark him.

I always compare their pace and off the ball against my defenders pace and marking. If I'm playing a slow coach with poor off the ball skills then his is going to be tightly marked. As I am in the BSP it is generally the default option.

• 1 year later...
It can be bad or good depending on your opposition and how the rest of your team plays. Generally you don't want to tight mark the speedy nimble players who can turn your defenders or out pace them on through balls.

This is something I'm mulling over for my full backs, who aren't the most agile or quick. I keep my wingers forward, which leaves my full backs exposed to 1-on-1s or even 2-on-1s. My thought is for the full back to mark tightly and tackle hard. Block off the option of passing to their winger, or make an early challenge before he gets to dribble, or even commit a foul which we can then set up to defend. Downside is if the ball is played into space my full back will have to turn around and chase, so perhaps this would work better with a deep defensive line requiring more accurate through balls.

Cautious not to hijack this thread with regards to another question, your two main options are unticking it in the CB instructions or selecting never tight mark in OIs, both of which I'd do dependant on the above discussed situations. You have to be careful with OIs though, particularly if you're marking zonally, because the player in question may pass from one defender who is capable of tight marking to someone who is inept (e.g. this can happen frequently if facing a lone striker).

But with that in mind my philosophy is to set up my marking system based on A) my first choice defensive players, and then B) what they're 'most likely' to be set to for a majority of games. Eg If I have a towering but incredibly slow striker (Or, very rarely, even low marking) I'd likely take him off tight marking as most (not all) strikers will be faster. That way on a rare occasion his opposing player is a tortoise I can change it to suit.

I would say remove tightmarking completely from your tactics..but know how it affects your shouts. Some shouts like hassle opponents need tight marking set to "default" for it to work. I rather not have tight marking, and only use it when my players acceleration, concentration and positioning is better. And even then I hesitate. In previous match engine versions I advocated TM because of the mazy dribbler, but now hard tackling takes care of that.

Rashidi where did you get that? "Some shouts like hassle opponents need tight marking set to "default" for it to work."

Does all the options need to be in default for all shouts to work?

Yes you cannot change the default choices if you want shouts to work. When I say default I am not referring to the Default instructions on the team slider pages. I am talking aobut the player instructions, individual ones.

This is the individual settings for tight marking before we kicked off the game.

ScreenShot2013-02-18at65245PM_zps4350b5aa.png

Note when I went to Hassle Opponents shout how the player with the box ticked was unaffected

ScreenShot2013-02-18at65430PM_zps82d4aa44.png

Same thing with the man marking instructions..

ScreenShot2013-02-18at65521PM_zps576fa7d7.png

The same apply to the sliders for defensive line, tempo, timewasting and passing focus instructions.

I did a whole thinggie on the shouts, I never finished the spreadsheet, but essentially I wanted people to understand that shouts are affected when your make tweaks to individual instructions, and some shouts have HUGE effects..hassle is one of them. I think you can still search for it here..or on my blog..I doubt I will update the spreadsheet...i am too lazy to go through each shout and the corresponding slider/ticks

That's weird, in FM12 all 'Hassle Opponents' did was set everyone to very high closing down in Player Instructions. Has this changed in 13?

No it wasn't, it did more than that :)

Hassle Opponents – Increases the tempo, tells the team to tight man mark and also increases the closing down for your side. Use this if you want to reduce space and time that you allow the opposition to have. Works good with a very attacking strategy and against teams who are a lot weaker than yours.

Archived