Football Manager Handheld now has it's own iPad version!

• SI Staff
Will you be planning a FM12 for ipad Marc or are you not allowed to say? :)

FMHi 2012 will support iPad - there will not be an FM 12 (PC/Mac game) for the iPad, the current iPad hasn't a hope in heck of handling FM 12's processing or memory requirements ...

FMHi 2012 will support iPad - there will not be an FM 12 (PC/Mac game) for the iPad, the current iPad hasn't a hope in heck of handling FM 12's processing or memory requirements ...

Sorry I meant to say FMHi, glad to hear there will be a iPad version for FMHi 12 :)

Any chances of there being another game when the iPad 3 potentially comes out next year?

Thanks

• SI Staff
Sorry I meant to say FMHi, glad to hear there will be a iPad version for FMHi 12 :)

Any chances of there being another game when the iPad 3 potentially comes out next year?

I can't say anything regarding what will be done for any future iOS devices - I'd obviously love us to support them*, but how, when and to what extent depends at least partially on their (as yet unknown) specs ....

*It gives me an excuse to get another toy to play with ;)

So I understand the match engine uses 'key moments'. But is it as smooth and realistic as the 'key moments' in the PC version running 2D mode? or more like the iPhone/PSP version?

Its a deal breaker for me, need to know :)

Massive fan of the series BTW

The match engine on iPad is the same as the iPhone one and based on the PSP one. It's well short of even the old CM4 2D match engine with all sorts of weird play going on. I know the iPad and iPhone 4 could do so much more but I suppose there's limits on development time. The commentary is good though.

• SI Staff
The match engine on iPad is the same as the iPhone one and based on the PSP one. It's well short of even the old CM4 2D match engine with all sorts of weird play going on. I know the iPad and iPhone 4 could do so much more but I suppose there's limits on development time. The commentary is good though.

The FMH games use a match engine from one of our older games enhanced somewhat* - I'm continually trying to refine and evolve it; but please do bear in mind that I'm working on the entire game not just the match engine so its baby steps in this regard (in comparison to FM PC where there is a person working full-time on refining the match).

*One of the engines before 2d was introduced, none of the 2d PC/Mac based engines are 'light' enough for the current generation of iPad/iPhones to handle their processing requirements (well unless you really think you'd be happy twiddling your thumbs for several minutes whenever you went to a match ;) ).

The FMH games use a match engine from one of our older games enhanced somewhat* - I'm continually trying to refine and evolve it; but please do bear in mind that I'm working on the entire game not just the match engine so its baby steps in this regard (in comparison to FM PC where there is a person working full-time on refining the match).

*One of the engines before 2d was introduced, none of the 2d PC/Mac based engines are 'light' enough for the current generation of iPad/iPhones to handle their processing requirements (well unless you really think you'd be happy twiddling your thumbs for several minutes whenever you went to a match ;) ).

You're the only one working on the game? WTF :confused:

Its a big franchise, they should be taking it more seriously.

*buys you a pint*

We know you do your best Marc. So the Apple devices are still too underpowered to run anything near to the PC engines? I guess if it was possible a half way house between them and the PSP engine would be good but I guess that would mean a lot of work.

Its a big franchise, they should be taking it more seriously.

*buys you a pint*

Yep EA is investing massively in mobile gaming because they want to get their games on the billions of smartphones and even java based phones around the world. FMH could be the football manager mobile game for fans around the world. We don't want Fifa Manager getting there first! :)

Yep EA is investing massively in mobile gaming because they want to get their games on the billions of smartphones and even java based phones around the world. FMH could be the football manager mobile game for fans around the world. We don't want Fifa Manager getting there first! :)

Well he should be proud of himself but you're right.

Tablets should be the ideal format for a portable football management game and I'm amazed they haven't thrown more resources at it. If I can get anything like the PC version's 2D match engine I'd happily pay up to £40, it would give me countless hours of pleasure. Fifa Manager looks nice but the engine is more style than substance.

• SI Staff

I'm not the only one (I'm just the idiot who does the bulk of the game engine stuff) - there's me and Rich doing the design & coding on the handheld games (that is FMH on PSP, iPhone & iPad).

Also involved is Chris who does all the art for the UI and our beloved QA chaps without whom the games wouldn't be as good as they are :D

• SI Staff
We know you do your best Marc. So the Apple devices are still too underpowered to run anything near to the PC engines? I guess if it was possible a half way house between them and the PSP engine would be good but I guess that would mean a lot of work.

Mobile devices have come a huge way in recent years - but to be honest they're still incredibly underpowered in comparison to modern PC's, even the 'multi-core' processor devices which are starting to appear aren't as fast as you might think (ie. a dual core mobile phone is NOT anywhere near as powerful as a dual core laptop - they might sound similar but each cores processing capabilities is very different).

One day I expect we'll be able to run one of the more modern engines on mobile devices - but that won't be for several years yet I'm afraid.

I'm not the only one (I'm just the idiot who does the bulk of the game engine stuff) - there's me and Rich doing the design & coding on the handheld games (that is FMH on PSP, iPhone & iPad).

Also involved is Chris who does all the art for the UI and our beloved QA chaps without whom the games wouldn't be as good as they are :D

Ah I see, it seems pretty polished for a small team at a low purchase price still.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff
Hi Marc

Do you think in the next version we might be able to edit the database ala the PC version? Would be great if we could do that

At some point in the future I hope to include the ability to edit the game .... no promises when this will be though, I've a lengthy 'to do' list in front of it I'm afraid.

Also, are there hidden stats for all players like injury proneness etc as well?

Yes there are all the various 'hidden stats' which you'd expect - including injury proneness, consistency etc.

Hi Marc

Thanks for the response.

Another question if I may... does the game have regens as well? For example, after the first season I note Van Der Sar has left Man U as he has obviously retired. Will a dutch GK regenerate in his place? If so how would I find him from the 'Search' section?

• SI Staff
Another question if I may... does the game have regens as well? For example, after the first season I note Van Der Sar has left Man U as he has obviously retired. Will a dutch GK regenerate in his place? If so how would I find him from the 'Search' section?

Yes the game uses a system of 'regenerations' - however its not instant and is designed to be inherently slightly unpredictable (both in terms of the delay before a player is regenerate but also it will sometimes change his nationality if he's from a nation with only a few players in it) so as to not make it entirely too easy to spot who future stars are going to be ...

(there are ways in which you can 'cheat' the system to some extent - but I'll leave you to find those yourself if you must .... ;) )

Hi, is there anyway to try out FMH before I buy it? Long time fan of FM series and now I own a iPad2 I am thinking of getting this, but not really convinced it can give me the same pleasure as FM11 (or older versions).

Thanks,

• SI Staff
Hi, is there anyway to try out FMH before I buy it? Long time fan of FM series and now I own a iPad2 I am thinking of getting this, but not really convinced it can give me the same pleasure as FM11 (or older versions).

There isn't a demo version of FMHi 2011 in the iTunes store at present I'm afraid. There are numerous reviews of the game online which might help you determine if its a game you might enjoy.

The 'concept' behind the games design is that its a faster and slightly easier to use game than FM PC/Mac (its more akin to our earlier management games pre-3d match engine) - this allows people to blast through a season in an evening with 4-5 hours play where on FM PC you might have only managed to play a dozen or so matches.

(the iPad 2 version is blisteringly fast btw - I've got one myself and its sweet :D)

I like to play matches slow on fmhi as i feel you can get involved with tactics more if your losing etc...

There isn't a demo version of FMHi 2011 in the iTunes store at present I'm afraid. There are numerous reviews of the game online which might help you determine if its a game you might enjoy.

The 'concept' behind the games design is that its a faster and slightly easier to use game than FM PC/Mac (its more akin to our earlier management games pre-3d match engine) - this allows people to blast through a season in an evening with 4-5 hours play where on FM PC you might have only managed to play a dozen or so matches.

(the iPad 2 version is blisteringly fast btw - I've got one myself and its sweet :D)

Thanks for you answer. Had indeed a look at some reviews on line and they were good, so probably just have to get it (handy for on airports). I did see it looks a bit like the pre 3D era, which still I like.

Archived