The Rangers F.C Thread: Season 06/07

Right guys, in my humble opinion, it's about time the previous thread was consigned to the hall of fame.

It's been a rough ride for the last 12 months, but we've finally got the mananger we desire in charge for the next 3 years. Having watched his interviews, I'm brimming with excitement for the new season - and I feel that it's appropriate that all Rangers discussion goes in a brand new thread for a brand new era.

In case you've missed it:

PLG Interview Part 1

PLG Interview Part 2

PLG Interview Part 3

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right guys, in my humble opinion, it's about time the previous thread was consigned to the hall of fame.

It's been a rough ride for the last 12 months, but we've finally got the mananger we desire in charge for the next 3 years. Having watched his interviews, I'm brimming with excitement for the new season - and I feel that it's appropriate that all Rangers discussion goes in a brand new thread for a brand new era.

In case you've missed it:

PLG Interview Part 1

PLG Interview Part 2

PLG Interview Part 3

depends.

the - applied to the thread is Le i.e. the thread

the - applied to rangers (rangers) is Les. i.e. les rangers.

if the dominant subject is thread, in this case le is correct.

however as it's ginger furball... he's probably wrong... icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Bob Bean Bag:

All this French nonsense is le cringeworthy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As is your lust over a plyaer that left 2 years ago, that your fans booed when he scored against you at Parkhead icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Bob Bean Bag:

As is your lust over a plyaer that left 2 years ago, that your fans booed when he scored against you at Parkhead icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone remebered then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

My prediction: Rangers to win the European Cup </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my prediction: big marv to cripple frank lampard and score the winner against the english

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

New season threads shouldn't be started until the fixture list is released. I'll let you off this time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Normally I would agree, but new era and all that jazz makes sense for a new thread.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

New season threads shouldn't be started until the fixture list is released. I'll let you off this time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well it's not SPL ones, but so far the pre-season friendlies arranged are:

July 6th - Linfield V Rangers

July 22nd - Rangers V Middlesborough

July 28th (one day before the start of the SPL season) Peterhead V Rangers - read this one on Teletext last night as it was arranged in January when we played them in the Scottish Cup, bit of a strange date though but I reckon it wont be any of the big team with the SPL kicking off the day after

sure I remember reading something about a game on July 1st as well on the old thread, maybe I'm wrong though

Scotsman Q&A session with Le Guen

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

DARREN TULETT: Paul, let's start at the beginning. How did you become manager of Rangers? When was the first contact with David Murray?

PAUL LE GUEN: The first contact was back in the autumn, but I didn't want to take it any further at that stage, because I really didn't feel ready to take over a club at that stage of the season. My goal when I decided to take a year out after Lyon was to find myself a challenge that I would be able to prepare for in the right conditions. I wanted to take my time, to make the right decision. To be able to plan ahead, think of everything that was needed squad-wise and team-wise with a bit of time on my hands, to be ready to start a new season. We agreed then to talk again later, in the springtime. I had a good feeling about David Murray, I was impressed by him and also by Martin Bain. Three or four months went by without us having too much contact, but I continued to follow Rangers' fortunes, watching closely how the club was doing, and contact was re-established in February.

DT: There were other opportunities for you. Clubs from all over Europe came knocking and you even went to visit a few of them. Your old club, Paris Saint-Germain, also tried to tempt you back.

PLG: Yes, but I still had in mind the offer from Rangers. I'd kept a good impression of our meetings and first contacts and that impression stayed with me. I felt like there was always something drawing me back towards Rangers. Right from the autumn, when I really started to get much more interested in the club. It just stayed there, in the back of my mind.

DT: What was it that convinced you that this was the job for you?

PLG: People are very important to me and the people at Rangers had always been very clear and precise about what it was they were looking for and what they wanted. I liked that, that was very important for me. Straightaway, I just felt these were serious people and that I wasn't being fed any rubbish. I knew where they were coming from, it was all concrete. They were very clear in what they expected from me, why they were interested in me. And on top of that, I had the chance of being able to work with my own backroom staff, my own team of people, which is a very big plus point as far as I'm concerned. When you start working for a new club you have to respect the past, and the traditions, and the way the club has been built. But personally I think if you can come in with your own team of people and use their expertise along with that which is already in place, then that's the ideal way for me to work. Yves Colleu will be my right-hand man, my number two. He was with me at Rennes and also for the three years at Lyon when we were champions every season. Then there's Joel Le Hir - he's a physio and osteopath and I worked alongside him for six years at PSG when I was a player and then at Rennes, too, for five years as player and then coach. The other guy with us is Stephane Wiertelak. He's the physical trainer, and he was also with me at Rennes. These are people I know well, trust implicitly and who will bring important expertise and qualities. I feel it's important when you arrive at a club to bring something fresh, to create a new dynamic. You can lean on the way things have always been done, and take them into account. I respect the traditions and practices, but I also have new ideas, fresh things to add.

DT: What was it that David Murray said or did to convince you that Glasgow was the place for you?

PLG: He made me understand that I was going to be able to feel good at this club, that he was prepared to do everything necessary for that to be the case. And you know, he said all that with such force, such charisma and enthusiasm, that it gave it an extra dimension. Those first contacts, the first impressions you get from people, are so important. I've met a lot of people since I left Lyon - good, bad and ugly - but right from the word go with David Murray and Martin Bain, I always felt that they were people I could trust. Straightaway the current passed between us and I found their whole approach very open, clear and convincing.

DT: How do you describe David Murray to people who don't know him?

PLG: How can I put it? He's the kind of guy who can't leave you indifferent. He is someone who makes an immediate impression on you. He's passionate about his club, and ambitious. And those are perhaps the two words, the two things that were most important for me.

DT: How did you actually go about meeting up at first, the two of you? Given all the speculation, you could hardly just pop over to Glasgow.

PLG: Above all, my first goal, my objective in the whole process was to keep my distance from Glasgow, and from the club, as a mark of respect for the man in place. I have a lot of respect for everything that Alex McLeish accomplished for Rangers and the last thing I wanted was to start showing my face in and around the club. It was very important to me to keep away and let him and the team get on with their work. That's why I only went to Glasgow once, and I won't be going back, not really, until training starts for the new season. As for meeting up with David Murray, we did hook up, for example, once in Dinard.

DT: Did he pop over in his private plane, then?

PLG: Yes, I think so. Accompanied by Martin Bain. For all the Scottish people reading this, let me tell you Dinard is a beautiful place to visit! I thoroughly recommend it (he laughs). I'm doing my work for the Brittany tourist board!

DT: So when should we expect to see your face in Glasgow? From the sounds of it, not for a while.

PLG: I will pop over from time to time but I'll really be in Glasgow, in a definitive capacity, starting from June 19, so that I'm ready for the beginning of pre-season training on June 20.

DT: How will you be working in the meantime? If you're not in Glasgow and not with the players, how will you be running affairs?

PLG: I work a lot on the telephone. I get around, go and see games. Joel went over to meet the club doctor, and Stephane the physio has been in touch with all the players to provide them with a personalised training programme, so everyone is working in their role, doing their bit. But you can't do much more than that until all the players are back and we are all together. On the other hand, what I can still do is take in as many games as possible as we look to build the best possible squad for next season.

DT: How will you decide which players to keep and which ones can leave?

PLG: We haven't completely defined the lists of who we want to stay and who will be allowed to look elsewhere, but of course we have plenty of ideas. I've been in touch with a lot of agents - and a lot of agents have been keen to get in touch with me - but also a lot of players directly to see what the situation is, who thinks what, who is ready or interested in coming along for the ride. But don't forget that we're only in the middle of May - we've still got plenty of time between now and June 20 to work on getting the squad into the kind of shape that we want. There's no rush, nothing is urgent right now. The most important thing is working in the right way - one thing we won't do is rush into anything. The transfer market has barely begun, and you have to show a certain amount of caution. If you start rushing into things, you take the risk of paying over the odds for players who in a few weeks' time might be available at more interesting prices.

DT: There is a lot of talk of French players coming to Ibrox and of how Rangers could become the Arsenal of Scotland. What's your take on that?

PLG: There are quite a few French players at Arsenal today, but Arsene Wenger didn't turn up with a horde of his countrymen in tow and that's not our intention either. Of course we are interested in some French players, obviously we are looking at some in particular because we know the French championship particularly well. But we have no intention of turning Rangers into a French club. We're looking at players from all over the place, from different leagues in all sorts of different places. But it's also important for me to say that we will also be looking to use some of those players who have already shown their value and are already at the club. Many of these players were champions of Scotland not so very long ago and were also on board for a great run in the Champions League this past season.

DT: Who are the players who have particularly impressed you at Rangers this season?

PLG: I don't want to go into naming players individually, but I've had a good look at the whole squad. I've seen a lot of their games and looked very closely at everyone's performances. I've watched Scottish league games, Champions League matches, and of course there are some players I've known for some time - like Julian Rodriguez and Dado Prso, who I regularly came up against in the French league. I haven't seen so much of Jose Pierre-Fanfan or Olivier Bernard because they weren't playing all that much towards the end of the season. But I've taken in a hell of a lot of games and one of the interesting things for me was seeing how players I already knew had adapted to Scottish football, how they had fitted in, because that can be very instructive. It's something that is of great interest to me.

DT: A lot of French players have gone over to Scotland and I don't know one who hasn't come back full of praise for their time in Scottish football. Have you had a chance to talk with any of them, or ask for any advice?

PLG: I've had the chance to run into Franck Sauzee, who I played alongside for France and played against many times, and also Vincent Guerin, my former Paris Saint-Germain team-mate. They, like all the others, have always told me that they were very well looked after in Scotland, made to feel very welcome and also that there is a lot of respect in Scottish football for people who do their job properly.

DT: Did they talk to you about the passion there is, particularly in Glasgow and around the Old Firm matches?

PLG: I didn't need to talk to them about that! I was already well aware of that passion, I think I've grasped the depth of that passion. I've seen plenty of signs of it, and recently I was made aware of it, too, when I was taking part in the Marathon des Sables. I received lots of emails from Rangers fans, encouraging me, which was great! I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and I thank them all for their kind words. Obviously I hope that we will have a great relationship and that we will get on well - but I'm also aware that to a great extent that will depend on results.

DT: Do you think that the passion for football in Glasgow will lead to you being under more pressure than you were at Lyon, Paul? Do you realise just how much the papers want to know and how many column inches are devoted to this passion? Maybe it will be more intense than Lyon.

PLG: Darren, don't go thinking that Lyon was a cosy job or that there's no media interest in a team that won three back-to-back French titles and twice got to the Champions League quarter-finals. There was a huge media hullabaloo and plenty of pressure to cope with, but I think my experience with Lyon will serve me well in my new environment. I don't expect to be able to work in perfect calm every day but I'm certainly up for the challenge. Indeed I'm looking forward to it.

DT: You might draw a parallel between David Murray and Jean-Michel Aulas, your president at Lyon, as they both have their ways of dealing with the media - some might say manipulating the media. You said David Murray is very passionate about his club but some say that he's very hands-on and likes to feel he's in full control. How will you get along with him if that's the case?

PLG: I couldn't tell you if any of that is the case or not, but to be honest if he is like Jean-Michel Aulas in that he has a driving passion for his club and that he's capable of establishing the club at the top of the league, then that's great as far as I'm concerned. What more could I want? Aulas built Lyon up over the years and has just seen his team win a fifth consecutive French league title. If that's what David Murray will be like too, that will suit me down to the ground.

DT: You know that some people were surprised that a man with your record and stature chose to work in Scotland. What do you say to that?

PLG: I've not got a lot to say to people who think that, to be honest, apart from letting them know that I am delighted to be with Rangers, that that's all that counts to me and that I obviously think differently to them. And to be honest, I'm not interested in what other people think. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

DT: Critics in Scotland suggest you decided to join Rangers as some kind of stepping stone to the English Premiership, that maybe you see it as a way to boost your credentials before taking over from Arsene Wenger at Arsenal, say?

PLG: You know what, I don't even know whether I will still be a football coach in three, four or five years' time, Darren, so that kind of fantasy talk, speculation, just makes me laugh. I'm not the kind of guy who sets out a career path for himself, that's just not my thing. I think that I could even set out on a completely different way of life, I might be capable of doing something totally different. Having worked alongside you over the last year, who knows, I may even decide that I want to continue to work in the media (laughs). No, seriously, the last 12 months have been very instructive for me, it's been very interesting to take a step back from day-to-day involvement in club football and it's something I was keen to do, and I'm sure it's done me good. I also really enjoyed my role as an analyst on Canal Plus - I think I have learnt something from working in television and it's enabled me to get to see lots of games in different countries during this Champions League season and to extend my network of knowledge and contacts. But to get back to the career thing: quite frankly, joining Rangers is about a new experience, an exciting challenge. It's a big club in a different environment, with a whole new set of parameters and I'm counting on it being a tremendous experience, not just for the football manager but also for the man. I'm looking forward to so much about it.

DT: Having got to know you over the last year, I've realised you're not driven by the same criteria as most other managers I know. What's struck me is that you are more interested in something that's going to provide you with an interesting challenge, that's going to provoke your intelligence, than in building what others see as an ideal career path.

PLG: It's exactly that! I'm interested in challenges, in taking on a task, in working on something new. I like to set myself challenges, that's what keeps me going. I'm quite a driven man, and I like to really get stuck into a project, get totally immersed. And I feel that at Rangers all the conditions are united, that I'm going to really enjoy it. I suppose I can understand that there will be people out there who don't know me, who will wonder about my motives. But I don't really need people to understand. All that matters is that I know where I'm going, what I'm doing and why.

DT: You must be aware that you are the first Catholic manager of Rangers. What, if anything, does that mean to you? And people will want to know if you're a practising Catholic. Personally I couln't care less but nice of you to bring it up

PLG: I was a practising Catholic up to about 17 or 18 years old, that's the way I was brought up. So, yes, you can say I'm a Catholic. But these days I don't practice. The only time I go to church, in fact, is back in Pencran, my home town, on December 24 - just because it's a tradition in the family and something we've always done. That's my annual rendezvous with the Catholic church. And it's a tradition which I will be breaking this year as Rangers have a game on December 26, so there you are. But it's not something that will particularly worry me. I'll have a thought for my family as I know they will be there, otherwise it's not something which is in my thoughts. I'm not someone for whom religion is a big part of life. I'm a tolerant man, and I expect others to be the same.

DT: You're aware of the problems Rangers have had recently with sectarian chants?

PLG: I'm aware of the situation, of course. But all I can really do at this stage is repeat that I preach tolerance. In my day-to-day existence I try to behave in a way that goes in that direction.

DT: Have you spoken to Alex McLeish since it was announced that you'd be taking over from him?

PLG: I met him, along with David Murray, and it went fine. He's someone I have a lot of respect for. I respect his record both as a player, and as a manager with Rangers. He's an important figure in Scottish football. It's not easy when you meet someone in such circumstances, him leaving, me arriving, but I hope I conveyed my respect for all that he achieved.

DT: Did you, or were you tempted, to talk to him about the players, seek out his opinions or advice?

PLG: No, I don't think that would have been appropriate. I've had plenty of time to watch cassettes of Rangers' matches, catch up with all that's going on and that has gone on, and look at the players.

DT: On the subject of players, can you tell us your plans regarding squad size, for instance, and what transfers we can look forward to?

PLG: I've got plenty of ideas but it's very difficult right now to make any concrete plans because the transfer merry-go-round has barely begun. Clubs who are selling may not be ready to admit it just yet, but decisions will need to be made, so we're having to bide our time. We're obviously looking, too, at players who are out of contract and available immediately. There are quite a lot of those out there.

DT: How do you decide on transfer targets with the Rangers management? How does that work?

PLG: I have told David Murray some of the players I'm interested in and I'm in email contact with Martin Bain almost every day, exchanging information. I talk to agents and I've been in contact with players - there's a permanent consultation going on about names, profiles, the situation of players already at Rangers, which is important, too. Who we sign depends on who we keep and who leaves, it's all about finding the right balance, being complementary. We're taking all that into account as we go about our task.

DT: What about the make-up of your team as regards nationalities? There was much debate when Chelsea, then Arsenal, played without a single Englishman in the team. Do you agree with Arsene Wenger, who says the colour of your passport is of no importance, or do you think a Rangers side needs to have Scottish players?

PLG: There are lots of foreign players in Scotland but we have Scottish players at Rangers and I do think it's important that you keep your identity. We'll be trying to do that, and of course having a totemic captain who's Scottish helps. We also brought up the subject with the president, asking the club to be hot on the heels of good, talented Scottish youngsters.

DT: You're still an unknown quantity in Scotland, Paul, and although I know you don't like this sort of question, I'm going to ask you for the benefit of the readers whether you're more like Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho or Sir Alex Ferguson in the way you work or in your ideas on football. How would you describe yourself?

PLG: I have lots of admiration for the names you cite, though I'm bound to have more natural affinities with Wenger because he's French, because I've spent some time with him, because I find his track record so impressive, and because I think he's very coherent in all he does. I've met Mourinho at UEFA coaching events and find him very impressive. I get on well with him, I like him and his record speaks for itself. The same goes for Ferguson, of course. I've had the pleasure of meeting him several times, including our matches in the Champions League last season, and he's always been incredibly kind.

DT: They all have their ways of dealing with media interest. What's yours? You're not renowned for being a blatherer.

PLG: It's true that I'm not particularly talkative. I'm quite reserved. But I respect the work of journalists and have never had any problems with them. I think a coach does need to speak, but he needs to keep a certain reserve, too.

DT: I think you might be surprised by the way newspapers work in the UK. You might find yourself having to change your ways.

PLG: They might have to adapt to me, too.

DT: What about with the players?

PLG: Yes, I speak to my players, of course! I am always available for them, and part of your job is watching how everyone is getting on, knowing who needs you and when. You need to know how to talk to players, and having been one helps me in that respect. But while you need to talk, I don't think you need to be too talkative or have to explain everything you do all the time.

DT: What can the players expect when they report back for pre-season training?

PLG: We're going to work hard. But we're going to work in a carefully thought-out way, in a coherent manner. There's not going to be a revolution. It's not as if we have invented any miraculous methods, but there will be a process of evolution and we will have to be extremely attentive to the needs of each and every player. What we have done in the past has already proved successful at Rennes and at Lyon. We won't be working them like madmen from morning till night but we'll be looking to work in a coherent manner, looking at things from day to day, meeting the needs of the players. That's also part of the exchange between a coach and his players.

DT: Are you the kind of coach who always takes training sessions with a ball involved?

PLG: For much of the training, yes, but not always - there are times when you need to just concentrate on the physical side. And of course when you take the ball away from the players, they are twice as happy when you give it back to them.

DT: What about the style of play you intend to use?

PLG: I had always been a 4-4-2 kind of man, but at Lyon I ended up using 4-3-3 because that's what was best suited to the players at our disposal. So the answer will depend on the players we have available. My preference is always for a four-man defence but from there things will depend on the particular characteristics of the players in the squad.

DT: A couple of questions on Scotland, Paul. Will you be taking your own chef over to Glasgow with you?

PLG: No, no, no, no, no! I'm coming over with my own team of people, as I said, but as far as cooking is concerned, I am preparing myself for some Scottish delicacies.

DT: Good luck, then! Have you ever eaten haggis?pointless question time

PLG: No, but that's not in my contract (laughs). I don't think I'm obliged to.

DT: What about deep-fried Mars bars?

PLG: I tell you what, I will get my contract out and pore over the fine print very carefully to make sure there are no such obligations to be inflicted upon me.

DT: Are you concerned by the off-field differences between British and French football, like the drinking and betting cultures?

PLG: You forget that I'm from Brittany and I'm no stranger to people who like to have a few beers after a match. I won't be on unknown territory there. I have even been known to partake of a beer or two myself, as well you know. But I'm going over there to discover a new culture, too: I think I am capable of going over there and making that move towards people, rather than wanting to have my own fixed set of ideas. I'm not there to tell people how they should live or to be stuck away in my office, just me and my ideas. And of course I'm going with my family, too, and it will be a whole new experience for us. That's what we find stimulating and is part of the excitement of the challenge. People have always told me that Scottish people are very warm and welcoming - I'm looking forward to being able to put that to the test.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I probably messed up the bolding

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

As is your lust over a plyaer that left 2 years ago, that about 5 fans booed when he scored against you at Parkhead icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fixed

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

Five? dont kid yourself icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be worried if five fans could be heard over the rest of the 60,000.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dm_gers:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

Five? dont kid yourself icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be worried if five fans could be heard over the rest of the 60,000. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

icon14.gif very good point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

Ok, enough of the PLG cumfest. icon13.gif However, I must admit he does look dashing in a suit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but when you consider the shambles we've had to endure under Eck, it's massively exciting to have a manager on board who seems to have a clear-cut idea of what he wants to achieve and how he's going to achieve it.

Very good interview-comes over with all the right words and I am delighted that he is looking forward to the challenge because it ceratinly is that. Already looking forward to the new season and encouraged by the thought of not just scouring Europe for talent but encouraging the best Scottish players as well. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> DT: They all have their ways of dealing with media interest. What's yours? You're not renowned for being a blatherer.

PLG: It's true that I'm not particularly talkative. I'm quite reserved. But I respect the work of journalists and have never had any problems with them. I think a coach does need to speak, but he needs to keep a certain reserve, too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the fact he knows what a blatherer is must stand him in good stead for coping with life in Glasgow.

Some interesting stuff in that interview.

Although success is far from a given under the new manager, PLG seems focussed, determined and capable of delivering domestic trophies along with the holy grail of genuine consistency in Europe.

Fascinating times ahead on so many levels.

• SI Staff

Haha, some guy on Follow Follow is claiming that his maw has just done medicals for two Rennes players; Antoine Ponroy and William Stanger. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Haha, some guy on Follow Follow is claiming that his maw has just done medicals for two Rennes players; Antoine Ponroy and William Stanger. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just hcecked these 2 on FM in 2009:

Ponroy is a French centre half playing for Ross County Reserves

Stanger is an AM RC still at Rennes but has only played 6 games for them.

They're being scouted to reveal their attributes icon_biggrin.gif

Surely that interview isn't Paul Le Guen speaking in English ?! If it is then I'm very impressed - I'm sure he must have had an interpretur because there's so many complicated, colloquial, English phrases in there - if he's bothered to learn the language that well then it's fantastic. I wish Rangers all the best for next season and hopefully Le Guen can help to stick Scottish Football on the map by doing well in Europe whilst keeping a Scottish identity.

Although you lot are basically cumming all over the place when it comes to PLG but I too must admit I wouldn't turn down the chance to have his babies!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

Although you lot are basically cumming all over the place when it comes to PLG but I too must admit I wouldn't turn down the chance to have his babies! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bringing in one of the most highly rated young coaches in world football is something that we should be delighted about.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Surely that interview isn't Paul Le Guen speaking in English ?! If it is then I'm very impressed - I'm sure he must have had an interpretur because there's so many complicated, colloquial, English phrases in there - if he's bothered to learn the language that well then it's fantastic. I wish Rangers all the best for next season and hopefully Le Guen can help to stick Scottish Football on the map by doing well in Europe whilst keeping a Scottish identity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His answers have probably been rewritten by the journalist.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

Although you lot are basically cumming all over the place when it comes to PLG but I too must admit I wouldn't turn down the chance to have his babies! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bringing in one of the most highly rated young coaches in world football is something that we should be delighted about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never said there was no justification for the love-in - ditto to what you said.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Surely that interview isn't Paul Le Guen speaking in English ?! If it is then I'm very impressed - I'm sure he must have had an interpretur because there's so many complicated, colloquial, English phrases in there - if he's bothered to learn the language that well then it's fantastic. I wish Rangers all the best for next season and hopefully Le Guen can help to stick Scottish Football on the map by doing well in Europe whilst keeping a Scottish identity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His answers have probably been rewritten by the journalist. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> We haven't completely defined the lists of who we want to stay and who will be allowed to look elsewhere, but of course we have plenty of ideas </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> they eeeees all sheeeet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boro back in for Pete & he's not a winger ffs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> MIDDLESBROUGH have re-entered the race to sign Rangers winger Peter Lovenkrands.

The Danish star has yet to decide on a lucrative new contract offer from incoming Ibrox boss Paul Le Guen, despite being warned that patience is running out.

It was thought the 26-year-old's choices would come down to staying in Scotland, moving to German cracks Schalke, or snapping up the stunning £1m-a-year tax free offer tabled by Greek side Panathinaikos.

But sources in Athens today said Lovenkrands is believed to have rejected Pana's massive offer - and Boro are back in for him.

The Dane trained at the Riverside back in August after Rangers and Boro agreed a £600,000 fee.

No deal was done then and Lovenkrands returned to Ibrox and went on to score 18 goals.

Despite Middlesbrough being without a manager, after Steve McClaren took the England job, they have retained an interest. It is claimed Terry Venables has been offered the post.

The Greek source said: "We have been told Peter Lovenkrands has rejected the Panathinaikos offer of £1m clear per season.

"We understand he is in talks with Middlesbrough and has learned the identity of their new manager. He says he wants to play in the Premiership."

Lovenkrands today refused to confirm or deny he was on his way to England - but said he would reveal more about the identity of his new club tomorrow.

It is now looking increasingly unlikely that he will stay at Rangers despite Le Guen admitting last week he wanted to keep him.

The Frenchman, though, today insisted that the uncertainty about who will stay or go from his squad is not a problem.

As well as waiting Lovenkrands decision, Le Guen expects to find out tomorrow if Dutch keeper Ronald Waterreus will sign a one-year deal.

And he also has the headache of trying to rid the squad of high earners like Stefan Klos, Jose Pierre-Fanfan and Olivier Bernard.

But Le Guen said: "We haven't completely defined the list of who we want to stay or who will be allowed to look elsewhere - but of course we have plenty of ideas.

"Who we sign depends on who we keep and who leaves. It's all about finding the right balance. We are taking all of that into account.

"I have been in touch with a lot of players - and many agents have been in touch with me.

"I want to see what players' situations are, who thinks what, who is ready or interested to come along for the ride.

"But don't forget we are only in the middle of May. We have still got plenty of time between now and June 20 to get the squad into the shape we want.

"There is no rush, nothing is urgent right now. The most important thing is to work in the right way and you have to show a certain amount of caution.

"If you start rushing into things, you take risks of paying over the odds for players who, in a few weeks time, might be available at more interesting prices."

22/05/06

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gers triple Hibs swoop

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> PAUL LE GUEN has put Hibs on another Old Firm red alert by admitting he has urged Rangers chairman David Murray to pursue the best talent in Scotland.

The Frenchman, who once again confirmed he won't flood Ibrox with his countrymen, is finalising his signing targets with Murray and club chief executive Martin Bain.

SportTimes understands Hibs trio Scott Brown, Kevin Thomson and Steven Whittaker are all under consideration from the Ibrox hierarchy.

Concrete moves may depend on which of Le Guen's priority targets are delivered by Murray and Bain.

But the Rangers boss clearly wants his club to match champions Celtic's recent policy of cherry-picking the best homegrown talent in the land.

Le Guen said: "There are lots of foreign players in Scotland, but we have good Scottish players at Rangers and I do think it's important to keep your identity.

"We will be trying to do that and having a talismanic captain who is Scottish helps.

"We also asked the president to be hot on the heels of good, talented Scottish youngsters.

"There are quite a few French players at Arsenal today. But Arsene Wenger did not turn up with a horde of countrymen in tow, and that is not our intention, either.

"Of course we are interested in some French players. We know some in particular because we know the championship they play in.

"But we will not turn Rangers into a French club. We are looking at players from all over the place, from different leagues in all sorts of different countries."

Le Guen has also thrown down the gauntlet to players currently at the club. He has already wielded the axe, with Zura Khizanishvili, Brian MacLean, Soto Kyrgiakos and Alex Rae all gone.

More will follow, but the new gaffer insisted: "I will be looking to use some of the players who have already shown their value to this club.

"Many of these players were champions of Scotland not long ago and were also on board for a great run in the Champions League this past season."

Le Guen revealed that his normally religious 4-3-3 system at Lyon could be changed to 4-4-2 depending on the personnel he has at his disposal.

At the moment, though, he is feeling his way into the summer transfer market which has yet to get into full swing.

Le Guen is anxious not to jump in and offer big money for players, in the knowledge that clubs may well lower valuations during the summer.

Chelsea kid Dean Furman, who is viewed as a prospect for the future rather than part of Le Guen's first team squad, and Czech midfielder Libor Sionko, are his only signings so far.

"I've got plenty of ideas," said Le Guen, "But it's very difficult to make plans right now because the transfer merry-go-round has barely begun.

"Clubs who are selling may not be ready to admit it just yet, but decisions will need to be made, so we are having to bide our time.

"We're looking, too, at players who are out of contract and available immediately. There are quite a lot out there.

"I've told David some of the players I am interested in, and I am in daily contact through email with Martin, exchanging information.

"I talk to a lot of agents and players - there is a permanent consultation going on about names, profiles and the situation of players already at the club.

"The system we use when the season starts will depend on the players we have. My preference is always for a four- man defence, but it depends on the squad and who is in it."

After a year-long sabbatical, the former Lyon man is clearly getting his teeth into the task. Le Guen stuck to his word and took a full season out of the game after stunning the French champions by announcing he would step down.

And to those who questioned why he chose Rangers, when approaches from a number of top European clubs were rebuffed, Le Guen was blunt.

"I am interested in challenges, in taking on new tasks," says the 42-year-old. "I'm quite a driven man. I like to really get stuck into a project, get totally immersed.

"I feel that at Rangers all the conditions are united, that I am going to really enjoy it.

"I can understand there will be people who don't know me who will wonder about my motives. But I don't really need people to understand. All that matters is I know where I am going, what I'm doing and why.

"The past 12 months have been instructive for me. I have stepped back but am ready to go again. Joining Rangers is about a new experience."

So far he has talked a good game. Now, the Rangers fans await Le Guen putting words into action.

22/05/06

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived