FM2011: The worst CM/FM ever.

yes i want two player large that wait ball in the centre of the box and not winger. they always when rb and lb have the ball in the my half, my forward become winger. I don't want it. can you say me is exist an instruction for this. In Fm10 is in.

Thats not realistic and not what happens in real life.

You don't see two strikers staying central, one always drops deep or pulls wider looking for space.

Its not FM thats the problem its the way you build your tactics.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thats not realistic and not what happens in real life.

You don't see two strikers staying central, one always drops deep or pulls wider looking for space.

Its not FM thats the problem its the way you build your tactics.

i known that this unrealistic , but previous version of the game i can it. Really is difficukt play with this tactic but i have two target man for midfield forward. in old version this tactic work as well in fm11 is impossible

I find myself struggling on this version but it just makes me more determined than ever to get it right. To understand just how bad I am, I currently have a save where I have taken Spurs from the dizzy heights of champions league football to a second season not even in the europa cup and struggling at 7th. My last two games include a 3-0 drubbing away to Villa (16th) and a 0-2 home defeat to Blackburn (12th) !!

Yet I find that I absolutely love fm11 and think it keeps getting better every single year !!

Why are you guys forgetting about '05? I remember the complete opposite made you win. Doing the opposite broke the ME. Tempo slow & you put long shots at rarely and not only did you hit long shots often but you scored with nearly every long range effort.

Edit: Also, you set forward runs to rarely.

You won every match

Why are you guys forgetting about '05? I remember the complete opposite made you win. Doing the opposite broke the ME. Tempo slow & you put long shots at rarely and not only did you hit long shots often but you scored with nearly every long range effort.

Edit: Also, you set forward runs to rarely.

You won every match

You really do make a habit of posting rubbish don't you Azuru.

Your players took long shots because you didn't make a pass available for them, not because you set it to rarely.

OMG are you actually saying I'm talking rubbish? I'm talking about 05. You did the opposite and it broke the ME. Seriously, do you want me to download the game again to prove it?

Man mark

Tempo slow

Forward runs rarely

Long shots rarely

Download 05 and do this and I bet you win every single match

Azuru you talk rubbish about everything FM related, this is no different.

kind of like some other people we know :rolleyes:. you haven´t been setting the world alight either, i mean when have you ever given a screen shot or some thing else that backed up what you say? remember the proof that you were going to provide regarding finances and tv money? what was that all about and where is it?

kind of like some other people we know :rolleyes:. you haven´t been setting the world alight either, i mean when have you ever given a screen shot or some thing else that backed up what you say? remember the proof that you were going to provide regarding finances and tv money? what was that all about and where is it?

The thread got closed, so i didnt see the point, im not going to create a new thread just for it to be closed down because the mods dont think its worth talking about. If they felt it was a useful discussion they would have kept it open and allowed the topic to continue.

The thread got closed, so i didnt see the point, im not going to create a new thread just for it to be closed down because the mods dont think its worth talking about. If they felt it was a useful discussion they would have kept it open and allowed the topic to continue.

yeah right, professional blablabla.... :rolleyes:

i smell some poopypants.... lol

ps: it was totally small minded to close the thread anyway. nothing in that thread was too hard for anyone to handle. just shows you how touchy the whole thing is :thdn:

nothing about professional its about not wasting my time, to make it worth while would have taken at least a day of testing and a few hours making the post with all the details and screen shots, im not going to bother if Kriss is going to come in and close it after 2 posts saying "this has already been covered" A it wont put anything to bed because within half an hour it will be two pages into the GD and no one will read it and B i far prefer jumping into other threads so you can follow me about quoting me constantly.

How is a older version of FM worse than the last? They only make improvements to the game... this is dumb. The biggest change was from 03/04 to FM05.. it was for the best... Seriously. Go back and play the old CM games and tell me they're worse than ANY of the FM games.

People are ridiculous.

nothing about professional its about not wasting my time, to make it worth while would have taken at least a day of testing and a few hours making the post with all the details and screen shots, im not going to bother if Kriss is going to come in and close it after 2 posts saying "this has already been covered" A it wont put anything to bed because within half an hour it will be two pages into the GD and no one will read it and B i far prefer jumping into other threads so you can follow me about quoting me constantly.

where has it been covered? plus you are such a goody two shoes and si crusader that you could have easily made a thread called "my proof that finances work" and then provided the evidence without it being closed. it would kind of stink if it was closd down, especially if it did prove the doubters wrong. it hasn´t been covered and it would be a good idea to put it to rest.

i don´t follow you about so don´t get all big headed. i follow points on a forum and you happen to be in everyones face, so it´s kind of difficult to avoid you :rolleyes:

where has it been covered? plus you are such a goody two shoes and si crusader that you could have easily made a thread called "my proof that finances work" and then provided the evidence without it being closed. it would kind of stink if it was closd down, especially if it did prove the doubters wrong. it hasn´t been covered and it would be a good idea to put it to rest.

i don´t follow you about so don´t get all big headed. i follow points on a forum and you happen to be in everyones face, so it´s kind of difficult to avoid you :rolleyes:

he probably ment the various threads about it that had been and gone already, i dont know for exact i didnt post it.

The mods have no affection for me, infact i have seen several posts from them directed at me telling me to shut up basically without using that phrase so i dont see why i would get any preferential treatment regarding a topic they dont really want discussed any further.

he probably ment the various threads about it that had been and gone already, i dont know for exact i didnt post it.

The mods have no affection for me, infact i have seen several posts from them directed at me telling me to shut up basically without using that phrase so i dont see why i would get any preferential treatment regarding a topic they dont really want discussed any further.

well, when you look at that thread kriss didn´t close it because it was discussed already and put to rest. he closed it because he was afraid that it would incite the hate preachers, which is totally :rolleyes:, and he couldn´t deal with any future problems had they arisen. it has nothing to do with the mods not wanting the topic discussed because that would indicate that something there was seriously not right

We will never close a thread to run away from any discussion, positive or negative about the game. Threads are closed if they cross the line between debate and abuse or are duplicates of those recently discussed at length.

This thread is in danger of sinking to the bickering level, so lets keep it back on topic without the personal comments please.

But but but but... how will I exist without being able to tell people how gay they are anonymously on internet forums...?

.. This is of course if you subscribe to the rather naive view that we do exist when we obviously dont because what is existing?

well, frazt, it just as easy for the pro folk to have a thread closed as they just need to incite some nitwit that can´t keep his cool. it´s all black and white around here which isn´t exactly fair. if you question the legitimacy of some the the things you expereince playing the game, it doesn´t make you a hatemonger. but sadly it is how the whole thing is percieved a lot of time, and you get that mud thrown at you for it.

for example, i haven´t said that i hate the game or that this is the worst version of fm, but i bet that some would think so because i am apparently not always on the right side of the picketfence

I was an old-time player but I had a huge gap, played the last SI CM games and then stopped playing when the split happened, I dont remember those old games enough to compare nor do I feel the need to. I will say though, from the recent ones I've played, 09 was awful and I couldnt get into it at all, too many sliders, far too intimidating to set up and maintain. 10 was brilliant, 11 is good now it's patched, it still needs some tweaking though to things like small-league reputation rises and the like.

Despite a couple of instances where I've thrown my toys out the pram over FM11 (people who know me on Twitter will testify to this!), it's always turned out to be my fault rather than the game. More enjoyable and absorbing than FM10, for me. Just couldn't get into that version, felt like an empty slog. FM11 feels like I'm actually MANAGING a football team, rather than just click, click, click and match on autopilot. Especially after making the transition to the Tactical Creator, so much more fun making switches mid match and changing the roles, it's so much more dynamic, being able to switch systems on the fly like that.

Definitely not the worst, IMHO. CM4 was, and I'd follow that up with FM09 purely because of the performance issues and lack of tactical width options, despite having my longest and most enjoyable save on it.

Despite a couple of instances where I've thrown my toys out the pram over FM11 (people who know me on Twitter will testify to this!), it's always turned out to be my fault rather than the game. More enjoyable and absorbing than FM10, for me. Just couldn't get into that version, felt like an empty slog. FM11 feels like I'm actually MANAGING a football team, rather than just click, click, click and match on autopilot. Especially after making the transition to the Tactical Creator, so much more fun making switches mid match and changing the roles, it's so much more dynamic, being able to switch systems on the fly like that.

Definitely not the worst, IMHO. CM4 was, and I'd follow that up with FM09 purely because of the performance issues and lack of tactical width options, despite having my longest and most enjoyable save on it.

I agree with some of this.

On previous versions it could be quite frustrating when you saw your side playing poorly or struggling against superior opposition. There seemed to be very little you could do to turn it around. You had to either wait until the half time team-talk or just suck it up. In FM11 using the shouts and making a few adjustments mid-match seem to make a big difference. It's also good that the AI also seems to be doing this. It's also a lot more rewarding when those changes pay off.

Gone are the days when you could fire up FM, pillage teams for their best players, load up a super tactic and keep winning for 20 seasons until the next incarnation.

Discuss.

Thanks.

You never figured it might start things off best if you were to input your thoughts on the matter in your opening post? Instead you figured it productive to make an off the bat statement about how FM11 is the worst yet and then ask people to discuss?

Come on fella, you obviously agree with your statement so have the guts to say why. Are you worried that people may quash your thoughts?

I admit I haven't played this edition of FM that much but that was never to do with how I thought the game ran. It was smooth and a tremendous effort from SI, but I found it too easy. Maybe it was the team I picked at release, but I got the impression that success was down to player management rather than tactics. I could pick any formation, or more commonly the same formation each game, and never really found I was tested as much as I'd like. It seemed to make little difference what I tinkered with, things would always seem to hinge on my squad management.

I stopped playing for many months but picked the game up recently and started in the English leagues for the first time in a few editions. I can't win for love nor money now, so maybe the English leagues are perfect enough to better suit the all round game.

I know one thing. The game really does make me applaud when I see it in action. For me everything is as close to realism as it may well be possible to get as of now. The match engine is like watching a real game. I just hope my save grabs me this time round.

if you actually play any of the really early games, like I did the other day, you realise by currents standards they are now rubbish.

exactly, they only seem great because of nostalgia and the memories attached at the time of playing them, actual quality wise they are miles behind and very little more than click continue over and over.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got to say for middle league teams (league 1 / championship) this one is probably the worst. It's very much 10 - 15 games solid performances then get battered until you create a new tactic, repeat.

Of the FM Series I think 07 was my favourite, though 08 was good. 10 started terribly but finished up really solid and very enjoyable. I've not really enjoyed 11 since the day it came out and I'm still trying. Just so inconsistent!

My favourite ever was CM3 =) . I'll never forget signing James Flood on a free transfer as a desperate attempt to cover all my injured strikers only for him to become the greatest striker on Earth. Happy days!

I did actually re-install CM3 a few months back to re-live the glory. It's impossible to go back! lol. It's fun to search for players long retired though

I've got to say for middle league teams (league 1 / championship) this one is probably the worst. It's very much 10 - 15 games solid performances then get battered until you create a new tactic, repeat.

Of the FM Series I think 07 was my favourite, though 08 was good. 10 started terribly but finished up really solid and very enjoyable. I've not really enjoyed 11 since the day it came out and I'm still trying. Just so inconsistent!

My favourite ever was CM3 =) . I'll never forget signing James Flood on a free transfer as a desperate attempt to cover all my injured strikers only for him to become the greatest striker on Earth. Happy days!

I did actually re-install CM3 a few months back to re-live the glory. It's impossible to go back! lol. It's fun to search for players long retired though

I don't experience this... :confused:

I don't experience this... :confused:

Don't know why I do then. It does it to me on both my own tactics and forum tactics. My latest season has been even worse for it. First season in the Championship with Crewe, won the first 8, scoring quite freely. Then won 3 out of my next 15 games or something, conceding between 3 and 6 regularly. Then tactical change that I stick with to let settle, lose 2 games in 14 scoring many goals, started to draw after, now just lost 6-2. 4-1, 5-2. Or gaining substantial leads and throwing them away. Has happened every season, just more prominent in this league as my players aren't as good as the were in lower leagues.

The new loan system is an absolute abomination though. Parent clubs charging feeder clubs large sums of money for loaning players? Why try change something that didn't need it?

Personally I'm yet to have a year where I felt FM had gotten worse, and this year is no different. Call me a fanboy or whatever you want, but the developments that SI have made each year add completely to the depth (and therefore my enjoyment) of the game.

I agree with this man. I've had moments when each new FM frustrated me, but if I ever try to go back to an old game, I can't do it. The removal of new features is a killer.

I agree with this man. I've had moments when each new FM frustrated me, but if I ever try to go back to an old game, I can't do it. The removal of new features is a killer.

I actually think the last 3 have been quite static in innovation. All 3 having good points and bad with probably 10 being the most stable. I think they need to scrap new features for a year and just create something brilliant. Let's face it, we probably don't use a lot of these features anyway. I'm not saying 11 is bad, because it isn't. I just think they need to stand still and build for a year. You can't win a game by only going forwards, you have to go sideways and backwards to be a great team =)

11.3 is certianly not the worst FM in my opinion. The bugs in this years version have been fustrating at times but with the new patch im getting into a save now and enjoying it immensely (despite my lack of success!)

FM11 blows FM09 out of the water! That games was truely terrible in my opinion. I could not get into it at all. It was so slow running, the 3d was just ugly and those damn sliders...I hope I never see another slider again!

That being said FM10 was alot easier to get into and better out of the box. This new game may eclipse it though but I need to play longer to know for sure.

Don't know why I do then. It does it to me on both my own tactics and forum tactics. My latest season has been even worse for it. First season in the Championship with Crewe, won the first 8, scoring quite freely. Then won 3 out of my next 15 games or something, conceding between 3 and 6 regularly. Then tactical change that I stick with to let settle, lose 2 games in 14 scoring many goals, started to draw after, now just lost 6-2. 4-1, 5-2. Or gaining substantial leads and throwing them away. Has happened every season, just more prominent in this league as my players aren't as good as the were in lower leagues.

The new loan system is an absolute abomination though. Parent clubs charging feeder clubs large sums of money for loaning players? Why try change something that didn't need it?

Many experience the same. When you win a lot of games in a row, it becomes trickier to motivate your players. This is a team-talk/press conference/player interaction problem, not a tactical problem. Any tactic that has once made your team have an advantage over the AI opponent is a good tactic - end of story. You don't need to ever change.

edit: when you get little Crewe promoted to Championship, this means they are vastly overachieving. Most likely few of your players are "Good Championship players" or better. So in other words, your team talks needs to "hit home" every time otherwise you will struggle against any Championship side.

A huge amount of bias creeps in depending on each person's success in the game.

Majority of people will dislike a game if they can't do well at it.

This isn't to say that all people who don't like it are crap at it, but it's definitely a contributing factor to some.

Really enjoyed FM10, I think overall FM11 is better but the problem is I have run into a seemingly game-ending bug which I never experienced in a prior version. Which is a pity, because I was really enjoying that save and FM11 overall.

This isn't to say that all people who don't like it are crap at it, but it's definitely a contributing factor to some.

I think it is more about what it looks like in 3D representation when you don't succeed than the lack of success itself.

Agree with this, so often I just think it's all about the save, if you're doing well and/or having fun then you'll like the game more, if not then the opposite tends to be true. You'll almost always find that people's favourite FM's are because they had their favourite save on that FM.

Really enjoyed FM10, I think overall FM11 is better but the problem is I have run into a seemingly game-ending bug which I never experienced in a prior version. Which is a pity, because I was really enjoying that save and FM11 overall.

What is this "bug"?

I think this certainly has merit. However, in my personal experience, I've had a lot of success on FM11. I found a tactic that worked early on and have stuck with it, with a few alterations, through a number of teams and leagues with great success. Yet the whole game still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth - I'll try and explain why rationally rather than sounding like a whingy, bratty kid as a lot of criticisers do.

Player interaction annoys me, fan response annoys me, inane press conference questions annoy me and the transfer system annoys me. Out of those, the transfer system is the only one that isn't completely superficial, so all those issues are easy to deal with and ignore, especially if you know how to handle press conferences without upsetting your squad.

The match engine is where I get incredibly frustrated. I understand it's only a representation and is probably not always showing exactly what is being calculated, but at the end of the day, we're not watching calculations. We are watching the 3D representation, so that's why things like "oh, it's not really a defender running away from the ball, it's just the match engine has calculated the attacker getting there first" annoy me. The 3D is what we see, and for many casual observers, what we use to determine if a tactic is working, team is playing well etc. We still see our defender being completely unresponsive and looking like an idiot.

Parts of it are brilliant. Attacking movement, players sliding in, even reckless two-footed challenges look first class. Quick one touch passing, looping headers, even bicycle kicks look great.

Defensively, it's a car crash. Long balls over the top still catch defenders out constantly because, on the 3D representation, they don't respond in time. They pause, or take a step the wrong way. Often a full back will go out to the wing to cover a wide attacker, because the full back is comically out of position. Goal kicks that are headed back create countless one on ones because the defenders don't react. Defenders leave their men to go and cover pointless space. The forum gets bombarded with threads about poor finishing with one on ones, overlooking the fact that so many are caused by static defending. Attackers are constantly on the move, making intelligent runs off the ball, yet defenders seem to ignore any attacking player who doesn't have the ball. Set piece marking is a shambles. Defenders don't react to low crosses while attackers slide in to score, while balls played through the middle put strikers through because both centre-halves can't close a gap.

Again, this isn't an "I concede goals so it must be the game, not my tactics" post. I score many more goals from comical, schoolboy defending than I concede. But from an observational view of someone who has never attempted to create a video game in my life, it comes across as a "parts of the 3D look fantastic, so we'll pretend the obvious errors don't exist" type job. Because they pop up on patch after patch.

Archived