Can one tactic suffice?

Currently playing with Santos (started in Dec 2009) and have employed a 4231 formation. My 2 cm's are bothing ball-winning midfielders and the AML and AMR are both inside forwards, about the only thing to note really.

After starting off slowly, losing away to corinthians and drawing at home to porteguesa, I went on an incredible run of form, 24 games unbeaten and until recently notched up 16/17 straight victories with-out conceeding in ten games in the league. Obviously in the Sao Paolo state, I only really have three big sides to compete against and the majority of the teams should be beaten with little fuss. After finishing top of the league, I ended up playing Sao Paolo in the play-offs semi finals and beat them 3-0 (same result as in the league) and managed 2-0 and 2-1 victories over palmerias in the final.

However, now the First Division has kicked off and the calibre of team throughout the division has increased, the whipping boys have now dissapeared and been replaced with much tougher opponents.

So I was wondering, After the succsess of my tatic so far do i stick with this for the rest of the season, slightly tweaking the mentality pre match and during etc based on the situation... and when a bad patch of form hits stick with it and try and keep morale as high as possible? Or now that the players are pretty much fluid in every department of the tactic, do i go about creating a now formation which offeres something different?

My second problem is if I was to design one or two more tatics to turn too, I feel as they will be pretty similar to the 4231 im playing, mainly due to personal at the club and the posistions they can play. A 433 formation would be the other logical formation I could utilise, that would enable my players to be rotated and fit into the tatic with relative ease.

Basically then, do most of you have one main formation which is used for the majority of the season, which is altered slightly depending on the match situation? Or do you rotate formations regularly and if so, are they completely different from each other? Or is there a certain degree of familiarity between them?

On a side note, the brazilian calendar is rammed full of games... in the first division you play a weekend and mid week fixture almost every week, what is the lowest condidtion you would field a player with and be confident that their condition wasn't affecting their performance drastically? At the moment I have this OCD that makes me want to field a team who all have 100% condidtioning and I would struggle to field someone whose conditioning was only 90% at the start of the match, unless required!

Many thanks!

I'm also playing as Santos but the tactic I use is the W-M formation. During the State Championship I just used that to keep fitness for all my players and get a stable tactic working. As you said the teams are pretty easy and you can beat most without much effort. So I used the games to find faults and flaws in my tactics then corrected them for the First Division games.

What I tend to do is stick with one formation and just tweak it game by game. I'm not a fan of using multiple tactics and prefer to just use one. For me and the style I play, I don't see the point or benefits of changing formation's based on who you play.

I'm using the original squad still with 1 addition for a right back. Most of my players condition is around 96% due to there been like 2/3 days between every game. So I tend to only play players who are above 92% condition which I seem to be able to do in all games.

Cheers Cleon, I think im going to stick with my current formation at the moment and tweak it game by game as you say. However I have developed a 433 formation which I may trial next year in the sao paolo state, when Neymar and hopefully Tiago Alves develop a little more, I think that will be the way to go!

I have the majority of the original squad, managed to get Edu (ex-arsenal) Miniero (ex-chelsea) and some guy called Fabinho all on frees to give some experiance to the team and bulk up the CM posistions! Charles went. Just out of interest who do you play upfront? I have Ze Eduardo playing there at the moment 19(2) apps with 13 goals... no-one else seems to be able to score with any consistency! Neymar is used as the AML inside forward and is producing some good results at the moment.

I cancelled diogo's loan, he was poor for me and I wanted to save on his wages, Maikon Leite also went, he wasnt playing too much and managed to get £5mil for him, with a 25% sell on clause (although 80% went to a third party owner! stitch up) Keirrison was injured for a lot of the sao paolo state so he hasn't played that much, he has the knack of missing absolute sitters and then popping up with a 30 yard screamer on occasions which is both wonderful and extremely frustrating!

I find victor hugo a much more dangerous AMC than paolo henrique too even though his stats are far inferior!

What's the 'W-M formation'?

Google it, I'll have a thread up about it in the next 2 days though.

Cheers Cleon, I think im going to stick with my current formation at the moment and tweak it game by game as you say. However I have developed a 433 formation which I may trial next year in the sao paolo state, when Neymar and hopefully Tiago Alves develop a little more, I think that will be the way to go!

I will probably end up with something different than I use at the minute also. I'm thinking something lop sided though.

Just out of interest who do you play upfront? I have Ze Eduardo playing there at the moment 19(2) apps with 13 goals... no-one else seems to be able to score with any consistency! Neymar is used as the AML inside forward and is producing some good results at the moment.

64058836.png

Neymar is the SC, Elano plays STR and Eduardo/Leite STL.

As you can see they all get lots of goals (front 3)

Looked at the WM formation on google... nothing like you see in the premership nowadays, even though it was all the rage in the late 1930's according to wiki!!! Obviously producing the results, especially the front three! looking forward to reading your thread on it!

After seeing the potential Neymar has as a SC in that front 3, im tempted to give my 433 a trial very soon! I think if I hit a slump in form then I will give it a punt! How do you play Neymar? Advanced forward?

Looked at the WM formation on google... nothing like you see in the premership nowadays, even though it was all the rage in the late 1930's according to wiki!!! Obviously producing the results, especially the front three! looking forward to reading your thread on it!

After seeing the potential Neymar has as a SC in that front 3, im tempted to give my 433 a trial very soon! I think if I hit a slump in form then I will give it a punt! How do you play Neymar? Advanced forward?

I give him a normal mentality and complete forward. Because he can do everything despite his low finishing.

That's the only slight concern I have about Neymar at the moment, I have him concentrating on his finishing in training at the moment, so when I do move him to my the SC role in my current formation or If I go for the 433, hopefully he will scoring for fun like he is for you!

Thanks for the help!

In my experience, you can definitely stick with the same tactic. You just cannot be afraid to make changes depending on what is happening in the match.

As long as you have a good grasp of the aspects of the game, and you have a good squad, you can achieve consistent success with one tactic.

Good luck with santos :thup:

In my experience as long as you have a strong enough team you can always use the same tactic.. when you have a weaker side like a relegation battler or just a mid-table side you need to be more flexible tactically, be more defensive when playing away for instance.

Best way I find to make the same tactic work is to use the touchline instructions during the game to make slight alterations when necessary.

But I've used the same tactic and players for multiple seasons in a row and provided your team is good enough, you'll continue to see results.

Archived