Big game failures?

In the big games, when it comes right down to it, my team just can't step up. I'm like Arsenal. Two finals lost, two semis, and in the big league games too. (Last season an 87th min winner for Chelsea on penultimate game of season cost me the league.) Do you think this is just because my squad is so young? Will this improve as they mature? Or is there some inherent mental weakness in my team? And if so, how would anyone recommend I rectify it? A better captain perhaps?

Thanks.

In the big games, when it comes right down to it, my team just can't step up. I'm like Arsenal. Two finals lost, two semis, and in the big league games too. (Last season an 87th min winner for Chelsea on penultimate game of season cost me the league.) Do you think this is just because my squad is so young? Will this improve as they mature? Or is there some inherent mental weakness in my team? And if so, how would anyone recommend I rectify it? A better captain perhaps?

Thanks.

Could be due to level of players determination, if they've got low determination they may think a draw is enough and stop performing as well as they should

Also they may not be ambitious enough

Motivation plays a huge role in FM. Everything matters - from what form do you approach these big games. Winning games in a row doesn't certainly help before big finals.

Also you have different players in your team and you have to know how to motivate each one of them. Some of players enjoy pressure, some of them need to be relaxed and encouraged by manager.

Could be due to level of players determination, if they've got low determination they may think a draw is enough and stop performing as well as they should

Also they may not be ambitious enough

I hope this isnt it because if it is it is idiotic programming. Id like anyone to point out to me some real life players who embody this.

Motivation, the press and team talks are very important in this. Always go to the games with the players motivated. It's better use a good replacement that is "good" than a 1st team player that is "poor".

Ambition, Determination, Consistency, Important Matches. All but determination you can't see in the game but this is more important when you're not in the lead. The others you can see with programs like genie or FMRTE if you like. Or rely on your scout/AM report.

If your players are young it's very likely that they lack Consistency or/and Important Matches, so when you play the big matches they fail.

If your the best team out there, or the best team in the league at least, then it may well be complacency. Use press conferences to say that the players cant go into the game thinking its won already and do everything that you think might bring down the complacency. And as everyone here says...make sure your players are motivated enough.

Good to see the game mimicking real life there, with Arsenal inherently weak-minded.

I joke, but seriously, it could just be that your team gets complacent, so try and keep them grounded with team talks and press conferences, and check if any of your players have a weakness for important matches (should be in coach reports if they have).

Make that three finals lost - all to Man City. Really wish I'd looked at this thread again before playing...

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I am Arsenal, only that I'm in serious danger of becoming them. No, I'm actually Newcastle. But I've got a good young team and I'm making decent progress. I'd just like to win something, even if it is just to shut Rafa up. (He's managing city.) But I'll think more carefully to my responses in press conferences, I'll look at motivation more (I've got to be honest, I'm often guilty of ignoring this and just playing my "best" team, especially in the big games), and hopefully I'll have some success finally.

Archived