Difficult season ahead.....

i restarted my game because it was getting unrealistic. my board allowed me to do a "Leeds" and spend £140m over 48 months on transfers, starting with a 5m budget. pretty amazing. i built the "dream team" and they were unstoppable but IRL i wouldnt have got away with it.

so now i've built a squad i call "the unfashionables" and have very low wages and a transfer kitty bigger than when i started.

basically i've bought a lot of youth except the defence which is packed with wise old heads with high decisions, positioning and teamwork even though they lack pace.

have told the board i will aim for a top-half finish (it's the minimum expectation) but with all this youth, although i think they will develop into good players, it's gonna be a tough season.

what i'd like to know, as with all these new faces and currently some low attributes i expect a sluggish start, what can i do to keep morale high? i know winning games works, but that may be hard in the first 1/3 of the season, and by the time the team has gelled and maybe some good training schedules has raised the odd attribute here and there, morale may be so low that we wont be able to buy a win.

ideas?

I've got some pretty decent players, maybe i went a bit overboard saying they're ALL youngsters with potential. i'm playing 4312 and i have young but half decent forwards and amc. an experienced defence so i won't be leaking too many. and my MCC has been massive in pre-season. it's only the MCL and MCR positions where attributes will need to be developed - attacking attributes that is, defensively they're sound and anyway are set to ballwinning midfielder/support. i've brought in one experienced head too but dont know when/if to play him because i want to aid the development of my MCs by giving them a lot of big match experience.

the question remains however: other than high league/cup/european bonuses and winning games, how ELSE can one raise morale or keep it high?

just be gentle with them...

in media interactions play down the squads ability, even suggest you might lose games you shouldn't... then when you win, the player's morale takes a huge leap (cos you thought they'd lose ;) ). Don't shout and scream when they lose away from home, "sympathise" or "good effort" will keep morale steady. Don't put too much pressure on them and they'll relax and play better, then they'll win games, then your morale issues are forgotten... :p

thanks. finished pre-season and morale excellent. i always cancel all the pre-arranged friendllies and set up 2 vs v.small reputation sides, followed by 2 vs smaller reputation sides and finally 2 vs similar repuation sides. seems to work. so we're going into the season on a high having not conceded a single goal from open play and scoring freely, many of them stunners. if we can just get a good start to the season all will be well i just worry about the inexperience in my wider midfield positions, and the fact that their stats aren't (yet) up to scratch. still, they've all got high workrate and determination and there's a lot of influence in the defensive and |GK positions so it's not all doom and gloom

thought i'd add to this thread rather than starting another (similar) one. for some reason i have several players on low morale now. they've all: a)started every game b) been on the winning side every game.

now i know some players are unhappy with my choice of captain, ex-cruzeiro's fabio (GK) but he's immense in every sense of the word and has won us points on his own due to his one-on-one ability which has come into play several times as i play a high defensive line/offside trap. in fact he's not conceded yet in these situations. i reckon this combined with high influence and determination means that he will inspire during games. still, no pleasing everyone.

anyway i'm talking players who have (according to their personal screens) no issue with this. players who have been in a 100% winning side thus far. ok, gave some of them 2 days rest. doubt it's that. and i'm sure they were all pretty much content a week ago. what am i missing??

thought i'd add to this thread rather than starting another (similar) one. for some reason i have several players on low morale now. they've all: a)started every game b) been on the winning side every game.

now i know some players are unhappy with my choice of captain, ex-cruzeiro's fabio (GK) but he's immense in every sense of the word and has won us points on his own due to his one-on-one ability which has come into play several times as i play a high defensive line/offside trap. in fact he's not conceded yet in these situations. i reckon this combined with high influence and determination means that he will inspire during games. still, no pleasing everyone.

anyway i'm talking players who have (according to their personal screens) no issue with this. players who have been in a 100% winning side thus far. ok, gave some of them 2 days rest. doubt it's that. and i'm sure they were all pretty much content a week ago. what am i missing??

any recent media? Have you checked your team-talk feedback? Changed any staff? Sold/signed any players? How long is it since you changed captains?

Archived