FM08 : Olympique Lyon : Les Gones

Purefun

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just signed Cheyrou on a free transfer. Saivet gone on loan to Espanyol, Thiago gone on loan to Lille, Altidore on loan to Benfica and Sergio Mota gone on loan to Braga. Others talking through loan contracts, but still can't get rid of Vercoutre or Shao Jiayi.

Just passed transferwindow (summer) of second season.

Only bought a couple of players : araujo (chivas) send him on loan to my feeder bochum, zarate (some arab club) going to be my supersub, lulinha (forgot) great prospect for future send him on loan to castellon (feeder) for spanish nat., also a couple of loan signings being wallcott for amr, anderson for amr but i've send him back because i managed to loan gourcuff for amr.

Didn't manage to sign an AMR (wanted a big name) although i had some deals going on f.e. quaresma, sneijder, nani, taddei, quagliarelli, joaquin, navas, gourcuff (wanted to buy first), and some others whoes name i forgot ... but no club wanted to sell icon_frown.gif made a few unhappy though icon_biggrin.gif.

As i said in previous posts did a little selling : coupet, govou, anderson (dc brazilian), baros and belluschi (chairman accepted def. not me) for a total of 65 mil euro + always %.

Won champions trophy against rennes.

Only played 4 games in the league due to 7 of my players playing in the Olympics (where france losts on penalties in final against brazil) but won them all.

Tbh we are not playing to well maybe i need to find me another tactic. As long we are winning icon_rolleyes.gif pfff

Am taking my game nice and slowly atm, only played one game last night in about 40 minutes icon_biggrin.gif Was tweaking my tactics and lineup before my first home game vs Bordeaux.

REALLY want to stop conceding goals. Won the game 4-2, but that's 6 goals conceded in 3 games, thanfully I've scored 9 and W2, D1.

Bloody Bodmer got sent off, which was a bit annoying, saying that, it'll let me attempt to kill someone with Juninho - van der Vaart - Kallstrom as my midfield three icon_cool.gif

purefun - Jimmy Briand is the nuts, 3 in 3 so far as the solo striker. Playig really well too, gets involved with everything. Fred's gonna struggle to get back in the side at this rate icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

right.. after the patch came out yesterday i will be starting yet another ****ing Lyon game.. icon_mad.gif

looking to use another now with 2 strikers

mate where is the patch and isn't it save game compatible (sp)

Originally posted by purefun:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

right.. after the patch came out yesterday i will be starting yet another ****ing Lyon game.. icon_mad.gif

mate where is the patch and isn't it save game compatible (sp) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its in the GQ forum iirc in one of the threads near the top

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by purefun:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

mate where is the patch and isn't it save game compatible (sp) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its in the GQ forum iirc in one of the threads near the top </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

found it thx icon14.gif

Ok so as you lot know I have started an FM08 game as Lyon, and I’ve finally gotten into it! Go me! I’m playing on the second beta patch not the full one because I started the game a few days ago. I’m so happy with the game though that I refuse to start again.

Starting the Game

First thing is first i guess, I loaded the French leagues down to CFA so my rserves could play matches. I setup the training schedules and hired a few new coaches aswell as upgrading a few of the youth coaches. The most notable coach I brought in was probably Vito Scala. I now have 7 star coaches in every category. I also brought in that cracking physio Gianni Nanni. Although these two are Italian the majority of the staff I brought in are French. I also got a few scouts of course and they are now enjoying nice holidays in different parts of the world watching footy matches.

Transfer Activity

My aim in the summer transfer window was to bring in youth so I’ll be set for the future and also some barains and as you will see there are multiple players I have got for free, all of the quality that I wanted. I thought the defence needed a serious overhaul and maybe another winger would be needed. I’m playing 4-1-2-2-1 (Like Chelsea under Mourinho in the first couple of seasons) so I didn’t go in search of a new striker.

Players Out:

Well, firstly I released 40 players, youth and reserves who I had no need for.

Nadir Belhadj - £2m - Racing

Patrick Muller - £1.2m - Napoli

Fabio Santos - £1.8m – AA Gent (Have to pay him 5k per week until the end of the contract that he had with me because he wouldn’t take a pay cut icon_mad.gif )

Frederic Roux – Loan – Mouscron (Couldn’t sell him icon_mad.gif )

Anderson - £1.5m – Palermo

Fabio Grosso - £5m – Roma

By letting go of two centre backs it became clear that I needed some defenders. I let go of Grosso because I could get a replacement for the same price who is of the same quality but younger and has potential.

Players In:

A load of youth: Benzerga, Saivet, Duplus, Delle, Wijnaldum, Teaudors, Hazard, Le Tallec, Saunier, Sakho, Monnet – Paquet and Costil.

Mohamed Kallon – Free

Fabien Barthez – Free

Segey Ignashevich – Free

Mathieu Flamini – Loan - Arsenal

Mika Aaritalo - £250k – Turun Palloseura

Christopher Samba - £3m – Blackburn

Urby Emanuelson - £5.25m – Ajax

I had to bring in youth because of the amount of players I released and I prefer getting them early anyway as it is a lot cheaper, especially for strikers. I signed Barthez on a year long contract pretty much to replace Coupet for the 7 or so months that he is out injured. Kallon is just for cover on the wing and also for the most attacking CM in my tactic. Ignashevich is just quality and now my vice-captain. Flamini was signed because there is no out and out defensive midfielder in the squad at the start. Aaritalo was signed basically to be cover for the wings and an emergency striker if I need one, this was probably my worst signing as I don’t really need him. Samba is a quality centre back who provides a presence in the defensive line. £3m was cheap for a defender of his quality in my opinion. Emanuelson was the replacement for Grosso.

Current Squad:

Goalkeepers:

Barthez

Coupet

Vercoutre

Defenders:

Ignashevich

Samba

Sakho

Cris

Squillaci

Reveillere

Clerc

Emanuelson

Midfielders:

Bodmer

Flamini

Juninho

Toulalan

Kallstrom

Wingers:

Keita

Kallon

Govou

Ben Arfa

Aaritalo

Strikers:

Fred

Benzema

Baros

The Season So Far

All the friendlies were won, not all convincingly but a win is a win is a win icon_wink.gif

The season really kicked off with the Champions Trophy. I drew the match with Sochaux 1-1. Bodmer scoring a cracking long range goal jst on the stroke of half time to get us back in the match after going down early. Penalties arrived and Barthez, being the legend that he is, saved two of Sochaux’s three penalties, he even scored our fourth penalty to win the match! My other three scorers were Juninho, Grosso and Govou. The first trophy of the season was mine!

My record in the league so far is 4 wins and 2 draws, I was not happy with the tactic so changed it after the first 3 games. My record with the old tactic was: Scored 8 Conceded 5 New record is: Scored 5 Conceded 0. Here were my results so far:

1-1 Sochaux

2-2 Le Mans

4-1 Bordeaux

1-1 Stade Rennais

2-0 PSG

1-0 Metz

2-0 Caen

Change of tactic came after the Rennes match of course.

Here is my Champions League group:

Barcelona

Lyon

Werder Bremen

Olympiakos

What a tough group! I hope I can get out of it but I’m not getting my hopes up.

My aim for the season is to win the league and maybe one other trophy.

Cheers for reading, and any comments are welcome!

Originally posted by jonahno6:

I'm going to start again as well due to the patch </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn posted that in the wrong thread i ment the Man Utd thread, but i will start another lyon game later next month

Originally posted by glory utd:

Clerc and #squillaci are good enough to start to be fair and if you are playing 4-2-2-2 you hardly need another MC? Flamini and Diaby can be got on loan though, you definetely need another striker if you are using two upfront. I would say Briand, Zarate or Huntelaar.

Clerc wasn't even gonna be my starting DR icon_biggrin.gif Squillaci i dislike as i like DCs that can jump and with the DCs i have atm (Samba, Sakho, Sergey, Paillot & maybe a few more) i'm settled for DCs, as for MCs i only have 4 atm and Juninho still might be going, strikers i would prefer have to be cheap icon_biggrin.gif Briand costs something like 12M+ or something icon_frown.gif

glory utd

great post mate

good dealings imo although i wouldn't have sold grosso but emanuelson is as good and younger icon14.gif

good season start but a tough group there

and you are right on recommending those strikers

BB hope you don't mind icon_wink.gif

listen to glory utd esp. briand and zarate

tbf squillaci is a great defender at least for me he is

and yes let govou go and sign somebody else look at some of those italian amr's, some great players there

Have updated the game with the full patch now, still not starting again though, I shall prevail!

Thanks for the comments purefun, just don't like Grosso for some reason and Emanuelson is just as good.

Still unbeaten in my season after about ten games but I lost to Barca 2-1 at home in my first CL match.

and yes let govou go and sign somebody else look at some of those italian amr's, some great players there

Zarate has joined but Briand is still gonna warrant me to spend 12M+ and tbh i'm that impressed by him when you have the likes of Owen, Martins & Falcao who can be bought for about the same or cheaper.

Govou will hopefully be gone when i play it later tomorrow and will hopefully be replaced by Belluschi(sp) for baout £4/£5M, Squillacidoes seem to be a good defender but the fact he can be sold for aboout 6M+ is just too much of a big offer to say no tbh icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by purefun:

Zarate has joined but Briand is still gonna warrant me to spend 12M+ and tbh i'm not that impressed by him when you have the likes of Owen, Martins & Falcao who can be bought for about the same or cheaper.

Govou will hopefully be gone when i play it later tomorrow and will hopefully be replaced by Belluschi(sp) for baout £4/£5M, Squillacidoes seem to be a good defender but the fact he can be sold for aboout 6M+ is just too much of a big offer to say no tbh icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Barnetboyz

in second season you'll wish you've bought him but its your decision and i respect that icon14.gif

anyway i've updated the game too but i'm also not going to restart, i play to slow to restart, start all over again pffff nono

I started a game on the proper patch as an experiment to see if my tactics will still work before i use them in proper matches with Lyon and found my tactics wont work anymore, was getting about 90% pass completion and now only getting about 70% ffs! So Im uninstalling FM and then going to reinstall it and reinstall the beta patch, am going to cut my tactic and game and graphics and training and all that so it should be ok.

I started a game on the proper patch as an experiment to see if my tactics will still work before i use them in proper matches with Lyon and found my tactics wont work anymore, was getting about 90% pass completion and now only getting about 70% ffs! So Im uninstalling FM and then going to reinstall it and reinstall the beta patch, am going to cut my tactic and game and graphics and training and all that so it should be ok.

mate start over again icon_wink.gif or go further with your previous game

Evra worth 9.75M?

hell yeah and tbh thats cheap mate how on earth did you get that price? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats the new patch for you icon_wink.gif

he was only worth 6M instead of the 8.75M on teh beta patch iirc so cheaper

Evra worth 9.75M?

hell yeah and tbh thats cheap mate how on earth did you get that price? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats the new patch for you icon_wink.gif

he was only worth 6M instead of the 8.75M on teh beta patch iirc so cheaper </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ffs mate icon_frown.gif (me being jalous (sp))

i have the patch but it won't affect players in a save game just fixes the bugs and so, so to bad for me

like your team personally, would like to know how this tactic is working out for you thx

you probably need some experienced back-up in defence f.e. mensah from rennes is great

i would start ben arfa over pires any day but thats imo offcourse

but using this tactic, there is no room for juninho and kallstrom unless you use different setting for those players??

could you give a screenshot of your team settings and the personel setting of bodmer and toulalon many thx

like your team personally, would like to know how this tactic is working out for you thx

you probably need some experienced back-up in defence f.e. mensah from rennes is great

i would start ben arfa over pires any day but thats imo offcourse

but using this tactic, there is no room for juninho and kallstrom unless you use different setting for those players??

could you give a screenshot of your team settings and the personel setting of bodmer and toulalon many thx

the team settings haven't been made yet and i play Toulalan & Bodmer mainly because i like 1 attacking MC & 1 defensive MC although it helps that the yare both amazing (stats wise)

comparing Pires & Arfa i think Pires just nicks it due to better stats & and much better work rate teamwork stats as i like my wingers to be hard working.. Arfa may get a shot up front

@purefun: I am still playing the game i was on, i just uninstalled the patch and reinstalled the second beta patch so my tactics would work again lol

@BB: I would sell either Roux or Vercoutre, I would say sell a couple of defenders but not Squillaci lol I would say you are ok for MC's but need another winger, I think you are ok for strikers too, how much did you get Zarate for?

@BB: I would sell either Roux or Vercoutre, I would say sell a couple of defenders but not Squillaci lol I would say you are ok for MC's but need another winger, I think you are ok for strikers too, how much did you get Zarate for?

Squillaci will be staying for the moment.. at right back for the time being, looking to add the portugese wonder Adrien from Sporting as another young MC, Zarate cost me 3.4M also looking to get Kardec(sp) for £5.25M as my final striker & non eu spot \o/

starting the league season with games against

Caen

Valenciennes

Metz

i have to be looking at 9 points as all are very weak but it depends if my team gels with each other and the tactic icon_mad.gif

Kardec, Mattock & Adrien join the increasingly young squad.. also signed a 14 year old from PSG icon_biggrin.gif \o/

finally have some spare time to play and within two days 4 injuries icon_mad.gif benzema (3 weeks), huntelaar (2 weeks), aaritalo (3 weeks) and makoun (2 months)

so 3 of my 5 strikers injured only have fred and zarate left and walcott who i loaned to play amr can cover also

and this just 4 days before my first champions league game of this season icon_frown.gif

Archived