[FM11] Only Mad Dogs and Englishmen...

AK22

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back to back promotions...impressive.

Are you now going for 3 in a row?

It's highly unlikely. Mind you, I thought back-to-back promotions were unlikely too.

I think the gap in talent is quite small between the BSP and the BSS/BSN, whereas it's a bigger step up to League 2 from the BSP. Will have to wait and see I suppose, looking forward to the challenge though! :thup:

Chapter 1 - Only Mad Dogs and Englishmen... Go To Thurrock

8602688.png

Pre Season 2013/14

npower Football League 2 - Fight bravely against relegation Media Prediction - 24th

Title Odds - 16-1

FA Cup - First Round

Carling Cup - Learn from the experience

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Learn from the experience

Transfer Budget: £0 Wage Budget: £5.5k p/w (currently £4378 p/w)

Facilities - Still shocking but we should fill the stadium this season Season Ticket Sales - 208 (+156)

Youth Intake - More cack!

Transfer Summary - 7 join us all on free transfers, 20 players released.

Notable Transfers

-

David Jansen - This beanpole of a striker will give Chiacchio's some competition for his starting place. Hopefully he will chip in with a few goals to boot.

-

Denis-Danso Weidlich - A decent right-sided midfielder who should do well at this level. Originally a product from the Arsenal youth academy.

-

Steven Ruprecht - Another German to join the club (my scout has earned his crust!), he will fill the problem left-back position.

-

Jorge Pulido - This guy played a handful of games at Atletico Madrid before being released. Highly rated by my scouts, this centre-back should go on to bigger things.

My objectives for the season:

- Give a good account of ourselves in League 2. I'm under no illusions here, it is likely we will struggle at times as we are completely out of our depth. Back-to-back promotions on a shoestring budget is a great achievement, but we are lacking quality compared to other teams in the league so I just don't want to be battered on a weekly basis! Whoever did the title odds must have been on drugs! 16-1, do me a favour!

- Maintain professional status. The club turned pro over the summer. If we stay up, we'll stay professional, if we go straight back down, it will be down to the board to make a decision on this.

- Break even. We will receive £250k in TV revenue over the season, so with working within a tight wage budget, I would hope we would clear the club debt of £120k.

8602688.png

Autumn 2013 Update

ThurrockThurrock_Fixtures.png

npowerFootballLeagueTwoInformation_LeagueTable.png

We've made an encouraging start to life in League 2 and find ourselves in 7th place after 15 games. A few scruffy performances, including the embarrassing 6-0 defeat at home to Hartlepool, proves that we may have rode our luck at times. We could quite easily find ourselves in a worse position pretty quickly if things start to go wrong as the table is pretty tight at this stage. A big concern is that both our goalkeepers are not good enough for this league, both having made a few howlers already. I'm also concerned about the lack of goals we are scoring; we are creating chances but the strikers can't find the net on a regular basis. I'm also maxing out my wage budget so its unlikely I can make any improvements this season.

Our fine performance in October was enough to earn me Manager of the Month and showed that we could put together a decent run of results when we put our mind to it. I must say though, on this patch, it does seem easier to go on a good run of form and record back-to-back results, even as underdogs, as long as morale is good.

The results in the cup competitions have also been spirited performances. Knocking Watford out on penalties in the Carling Cup was nailbiting to watch, as was our defeat to Premier League Fulham. We led 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2, so were extremely unfortunate to get knocked-out 4-3. We also put on a good show in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, beating Luton away in the first round and then being knocked-out 5-4 on penalties against Bristol Rovers. These little cameo cup-runs have really improved the club finances, and we are now out of the black at last!

In other news, my beloved Liverpool find themselves bottom of the Premier League. With only 5 points from their first 10 games, King Kenny's magic has seemed to have worn off! Also, England needed a play-off to qualify for the 2014 World Cup after finishing second in a group containing France, Bulgaria, Norway, Georgia and Kazakhstan. This nearly cost 'Arry his job too!

Just had another job offer...

AndyKingNews_Inbox-6.png

I've delayed for a week to consider things.

My Uncle was actually banned by the Oxford board back in the early 90's when they played at the Manor Ground. He made some derogatory remarks about how the club was being run, so they banned him from all home matches even though he was a season ticket holder! :eek:

I've decided to stay put with Thurrock. Even though Oxford are a much bigger club (last season they were relegated from League 1), I want to guarantee Thurrock's survival in League 2 before moving on. They've appointed some new-gen manager now who was previously manager of Wealdstone and Bradford PA!

King Kenny's been sacked too as Liverpool are still bottom (behind Peterborough) :( and he's been replaced by Owen Coyle.

I've decided to stay put with Thurrock. Even though Oxford are a much bigger club (last season they were relegated from League 1), I want to guarantee Thurrock's survival in League 2 before moving on. They've appointed some new-gen manager now who was previously manager of Wealdstone and Bradford PA!

King Kenny's been sacked too as Liverpool are still bottom (behind Peterborough) :( and he's been replaced by Owen Coyle.

lLoks like you got a good thing going with Thurrock, though Oxford was as you said, tempting.

Liverpool bottom of table.. I luv it. :)

8602688.png

Winter 2013/14 Update

ThurrockThurrock_Fixtures-2.png

npowerFootballLeagueTwoInformation_LeagueTable-2.png

This game never ceases to amaze me. 33 games into the season, and having lost 9 games already, we find ourselves right in the mix for a shot at promotion. I honestly thought the quality of players would be higher in this league, but it appears my team, of mainly good BSP players, can maintain their competitiveness at the higher level.

At the beginning of the season, I had a points total of 50 in my head which would guarantee league football for another season. We've achieved this already so anything else is a bonus now. If we sneak a play-off/promotion place it would be great but I won't be downhearted with a mid-table finish. However, going on last season's table, 74 points would be enough for automatic promotion and I think that should be a realistic points target to aim for with 13 games to go.

A few concerns wages wise. I'm maxing out the budget at a hefty £5455 p/w but I have 7 first team players all with contract expiring at the end of the season. It will cost me an arm and a leg to renew their contracts now and tip the balance finances wise. I'm hoping to hold off to the summer and get the business done then, but clubs are sniffing around and it must be only a matter of time before they start offering terms to my players.

In other news, Liverpool have made a miraculous recovery under Owen Coyle's management. They are back up to 7th in Premier League and only 9 points off 4th. Also, Man City got knocked-out of the Champions League after only finishing 3rd in their group, behind Rangers!

:D

8602688.png

Spring 2014 Update

ThurrockThurrock_Fixtures-3.png

npowerFootballLeagueTwoInformation_Stages.png

Going into the final game, all promotion spots were still up for grabs in a very close table. The live league table was working ten-to-the-dozen to keep up with all the results. Shrewsbury would have been disappointed to miss out on the title having lead since Christmas. Luton, on the other hand, were never top until the final whistle on the last day of the season. Exciting stuff!

npowerFootballLeagueTwoInformation_LeagueTable-3.png

We were inches away from automatic promotion, however, due to our poor end of season form, we will need to fight our way through the playoffs. Finishing 5th is a great achievement once again, surpassing all my expectations of what we could achieve. Only 3 wins in our last 8 matches cost us dear though, and I hope that we don't continue this slump in the playoffs otherwise Southend will see us off without problem. I will also have to manage without my 2 best players who got carried off injured in the final game of the season against Yeovil.

8602688.png

League 2 Playoffs 2014 Update

ThurrockThurrock_Fixtures-7.png

ThurrockvSouthendInformation_Overview.png

ThurrockvMorecambeInformation_Overview.png

Playoff heartbreak! The Semi-Final 2nd leg against Southend was edge of seat stuff. Going 1-0 down, them having a player sent off, and us scoring twice in the last 5 minutes was enough to take it to extra time and penalties (away goals do not count in the playoffs). We kept our nerve and converted all our spot-kicks to set up a trip to Wembley against Morecambe.

In an evenly matched final, we found ourselves unlucky to be going in at the break a goal behind. Kevin getting sent off just after an hour made our task that little bit harder. Evidently, we couldn't do enough to break through the Morcambe defence, so we miss out on promotion this season which is no bad thing, we would have struggled in League 1. The financial benefits of getting to Wembley will be a great help to the club, though I'm surprised that we managed to attract a crowd of 51574 for the final tbh.

A couple points of interests that have occurred over the course of the season...

npowerFootballLeagueTwoInformation_Rules.png

It appears that this wage cap in only enforced in League 2. This will make it difficult for the small clubs, such as Thurrock, to attract decent players and keep them over several seasons. However, it is refreshing to see something in place to insure the clubs don't pile themselves in debt and attempt to buy promotion.

AndyKingNews_Inbox-8.png

We never received this in the BSP or BSS. I assume this has something to do with parachute payments for clubs relegated from the Premier League who got promoted back the following season (?). Well for whatever reason, we'll take the money thank you very much! :D

if only you had of won one of your final 2 games of the season and there would have been no need for the playoffs. Are you planning on leaving at the end of the season or going into next season with Thurrock?

Tell me about it! We really should have beaten Bury.

I've got a season left to run on my contract at Thurrock but I'm not going to renew it at this stage. I'll be keeping my eye out for any decent opportunities if/when they arise but I'd only consider clubs that are a step-up from Thurrock.

8602688.png

Season 2013/14 Review

FA Cup - 1st Round

Carling Cup - 2nd Round

A great season overall, tinged slightly by the playoff final defeat. That being said, I'm thrilled we finished 5th in the league and I hope to be in a better position to contend for promotion again next season. Port Vale and Lincoln are the team that will drop into the BSP and sacrifice their league status. Our cup performances were respectable, with the highlight being our 4-3 defeat against Fulham. I'm pleased we gave a good account of ourselves against fairly strong Premier League opposition.

Finances - The cup prize money, the trip to Wembley and the Premier League windfall has made a big difference here. We've got over half a million in the coffers now!

Average Attendance - 2862 (up 2257)

Transfer Summary - No further activity since August due to financial constraints.

Key Players -

Matias Chiacchio - Spent a fair bit of the season being injured at crucial times but still chipped in with 21 goals and was our top scorer by a distance, the nearest only scoring 8.

Cristian Peruchini - Chiacchio's wingman regained his form this season and assisted 14 goals. It is no coincidence that our form dropped when he got injured towards the end of the season.

Team of the Year - In reality Chatilla played MC in the majority of matches.

Overall Best XI - Unchanged this year.

Fans Player of the Year - Mathias Chiacchio

Review of Season Objectives

- Give a good account of ourselves in League 2. I'm under no illusions here, it is likely we will struggle at times as we are completely out of our depth. Back-to-back promotions on a shoestring budget is a great achievement, but we are lacking quality compared to other teams in the league so I just don't want to be battered on a weekly basis! Whoever did the title odds must have been on drugs! 16-1, do me a favour!

Achieved. It couldn't have much better. Apart from the 6-0 defeat against Hartlepool, we didn't concede any more than 3 goals in a match. At the end of the day, team spirit won over talent.

- Maintain professional status. The club turned pro over the summer. If we stay up, we'll stay professional, if we go straight back down, it will be down to the board to make a decision on this.

Achieved. Due to the fact we didn't get relegated, we will remain a professional club.

- Break even. We will receive £250k in TV revenue over the season, so with working within a tight wage budget, I would hope we would clear the club debt of £120k.

Achieved. Made a profit of £800k this season so the deficit has gone and hopefully I'll have a bigger budget next season.

Career History

Season     Team             League    League Finish    Cups            
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
2010/11    Thurrock F.C.    BSS       15th             N/A             
2011/12    Thurrock F.C.    BSS       2nd              FA Cup 2nd Round, FA Trophy 1st Round
2012/13    Thurrock F.C.    BSP       1st              FA Cup 1st Round, FA Trophy 3rd Round
2013/14    Thurrock F.C.    League 2  5th              FA Cup 1st Round, Carling Cup 2nd Round, JPT 2nd Round

And your going to jump ship?

Not sure at the moment. Even though things are going well at Thurrock, I see it as a stepping-stone to bigger things. I've rejected the contract extension that was offered, as there was no pay increase, so that leaves me with 1 season left on it.

I'm hoping that a League 1 might take a punt on me as they won't need to pay much compensation. But if nothing turns up, I'll sign on for another season. I'm in no rush to leave but don't want to stay forever.

Nice job your doing with Thurrock there mate. KUTGW.

Also, your centre-back Joe Jones, is that the lad from Leicester City's academy by any chance? If so, glad to see him doing well :thup:

Its a good run with Thurrock, this is a hard one im not sure if i would stay or go, so hopefully a league 1 side will take a punt though and you can move on to bigger and better things :)
Doing well with Thurrock although you were very unlucky with the playoff final, quite surprised noone has come in for you.

Thanks guys :) Had a few solid job offers from Oxford, Bury and Stockport so far. Perhaps should have gone to Oxford, but it didn't feel right to move mid-season when we were doing so well. I'm hoping for a decent offer from someone next season.

Joe Jones is the same guy who's at Leicester IRL. According to his player history he started at Arsenal, then moved to Leicester. He didn't make any appearances for either club but has made 66 appearances for Thurrock since moving to us on a free transfer. At 21 now, he's starting to mature into a solid centre-back good enough for League 1 at least :thup:

Excellent progress despite the playoff final defeat.
Some good reading, very good work getting to league 1 so early! :thup:

Thanks guys :thup: Not quite in League 1 yet i'm afraid but that's the plan. Whether I get there with Thurrock or not will depend on how the season pans out.

Some good reading here mate!!! I miss being the lower teams. I might have to start a career game tonight.

Do it! I thoroughly recommend starting at the bottom and working your way up. You get a great sense of achievement doing it this way, and as the quality is pretty bad at the bottom, a few decent signings will make a big difference. :D

I tried last night, but just never got into it. I struggle to get into games which I dont set my mind being a certain team to be honest. It doesnt help that I am well into my Hoffe game at the moment but will try again at some point.

World Cup 2014 Update

100100.png

Hosts: Brazil

Holders: Spain

FIFAWorldCupInformation_Stages.png

Unfortunately England couldn't follow up their Euro's victory with a decent performance in the World Cup. They were knocked-out by Brazil in the Quarter-Final (again

:thdn:). The hosts made it all the way to final, only to lose to Croatia of all teams after extra time! A strange tournament, with the QFs comprising only 3 European nations, and somehow, Costa Rica! :eek:

8602688.png

Pre Season 2014/15

npower Football League 2 - Safe mid-table Media Prediction - 15th Title Odds - 33-1

FA Cup - First Round

Carling Cup - Learn from the experience

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Learn from the experience

Transfer Budget: £100k Wage Budget: £7k p/w (currently £5450 p/w)

Facilities - The mudbath has gone! The board has relaid the pitch and new training facilities are being planned Season Ticket Sales - 217 (+9)

Youth Intake - Still no potential.

Transfer Summary - 7 join us all for a total of £10k, 8 leave for a handsome £55k. Bit of a gut-wrencher to lose Pulido, however, his contract would have been due-up at the end of the season and there's no way we could have met his wage demands.

Notable Transfers

Daniel Nagy - The scouts rated this young Hungarian highly. I'm slightly dubious due to his poor determination and workrate. However, I'm willing to be proved wrong but on £575 p/w is a bit of a risk.

David Field - Young striker taken on loan from Arsenal for the season. Will be third choice but will play a few games. Good physical stats for his age.

Mark Stewart - Another loan signing but from Fulham this time. Good pace to burn but very little other ability. Will be back-up left midfield.

My objectives for the season:

- Consolidation in League 2. I feel we may struggle more this season as we've lost of bit of momentum following our playoff defeat. I don't think we'll be in the relegation battle but I think high mid-table is the most likely result.

- Get a League 1 job. Purely a selfish objective. I feel this will be my last season with Thurrock as I don't think we can go much further. I will need to put myself in the shop window this season to find myself a club of the calibre I desire.

8602688.png

Autumn 2014 Update

ThurrockThurrock_Fixtures.png

npowerFootballLeagueTwoInformation_LeagueTable.png

We started the season in great form, with 6 wins in the first 8 games. These victories included 2 amazing performances away to Ipswich and Aston Villa in the Carling Cup. The result at Villa Park was quite remarkable, considering the Premier League side completely outplayed us. We managed to sneak a goal on the break and clung on for dear life for over an hour's worth of football.

Giant-killing at its best!

We hit a ropey bit of form in the middle of September, which continued into early October. I put this down to the fact that all four of my centre-midfield players were out injured/on international duty in this period and we lost stability to the core of the team. However, this league is ultra-competitive this season, with no team being particularly dominant so far, so we're still in a good position after 15 games. At this stage, it is quite conceivable that any team in the top half can push for promotion if they have a good run, as only 7 points separate the entire top half.

I also received another

job offer, for Chesterfield this time. However, they sit 3rd from bottom of League 2 so this really wouldn't be a step up, and I don't want to work for someone who spells their name Barrie instead of Barry! :D

Croatia always seem to be very good on FM. Good idea to not go to Chesterfield and what a great result against Villa, good luck in the league dude.

Thanks :thup: I agree, Croatia have been more than decent for several editions now. Probably a bit overrated too IMO, can't see them being a WC contender IRL for 2014.

Notice AFC Wimbledon got in League 2 in your game. Any big shocks in terms of EPL relegations?

KUTGW. :)

AFC Wimbledon got promoted to the football league at the end of 2010/11 (they might replicate this IRL too), and have stayed there ever since.

In terms of EPL shocks, Newcastle got relegated in 2010/11 and have languished in the Championship ever since. I raised an eyebrow when Peterborough made to the top too, however, they only lasted 1 season. Man Utd and Chelsea are still the dominant forces :(

8602688.png

Winter 2014/15 Update

ThurrockThurrock_Fixtures-2.png

npowerFootballLeagueTwoInformation_LeagueTable-2.png

We're still making good progress in the league but too many home draws for my liking this season. We've dropped 13 points at Ship Lane (out of a possible 48). I know it's not a shocking record, but my mentality has always been that you win your home games no matter what; any points picked up on the road are a bonus. Perhaps I'm being too picky, considering we've got the 2nd best home record in the league! Our defence seems a lot more solid this season too. 10 clean sheets and the 3rd best defensive record, so I'm pleased with this at least!

A nice little FA Cup run has seen us draw Everton away in the 4th Round. I'll be happy if we don't get masacred, I think our giant-killing days are behind us now this season, even though it would please me immensly to beat them.

Still no decent job offers on the horizon. I'm undecided what I'm going to do at the end of the season. 4/5 key players are all going to leave on frees at the end of the season as we can't afford their pay demands, so a bit of rebuilding will be required. I suppose this may be no bad thing if we do end up getting promoted, as this will free up some of the budget to bring in League 1 quality players. However, if promotion doesn't materialise, it will be heartbreaking to lose a big chunk of the team I have built-up at Thurrock.

8602688.png

Spring 2015 Update

ThurrockThurrock_Fixtures-3.png

npowerFootballLeagueTwoInformation_Stages.png

A dismal run through February completely derailed our promotion push, as we lost to rivals Rotherham and Wycombe. We did well to recover in March, and this form was enough to keep us in contention and earn me another League 2 Manager of the Month trophy.

We managed to climb up into 3rd, and the automatic promotion places, with 4 games to go. We had a tough run-in, having to play fellow promotion contenders Cheltenham and Southend, however, we were still in the hunt with a game to go. In a tricky match against mid-table Accrington, we could only scrape a draw, so we'll have to contend the play-offs again this season. In contrast, Dagenham & Redbridge timed their run to perfection and finished their campaign with a 13 game unbeaten streak. This was enough to pip Yeovil to one of the automatic promotion spots on the final day of the season.

In other news, Liverpool have won their first League title for 25 years. Well done Owen Coyle! :D

8602688.png

League 2 Playoffs 2015 Update

ThurrockThurrock_Fixtures-4.png

ThurrockvWycombeInformation_Overview.png

WycombevThurrockInformation_Overview.png

Flipping bleeding playoffs! Heartbreak again this season!

Played well in the first leg against Wycombe and was confident we could defend our lead in the return leg. However, a penalty shootout would be our downfall with Steven Ruprecht, my German leftback (he's German he should be good at penalties!!!!), missed the crucial penalty.

The cheeky git then demanded a contract extension and pay increase the day later. You just cost us a place in League 1 (potentially) you muppet, get stuffed! He will most likely be departing the club at the end of the season after this outburst. RAGE!

8602688.png

Season 2014/15 Review

FA Cup -

3rd Round

Carling Cup -

3rd Round

Johnstone's Paint Trophy -

2nd Round

In hindsight it has been a more than respectable season for us. Another top 6 finish and some decent cup runs are excellent performances considering where this Thurrock team has come from. Financially we are looking sound, with no debt, and enough money to do a bit of investment if the board sees fit. I do, however, have a tinge of disappointment as we were in contention for promotion all season but seemed to lose our bottle just when we needed it the most. Burton and Hereford were the teams that were relegated from League 2.

Finances - We're doing well, still over £1m in the account. I anticipate money to spend next season.

Average Attendance - 2672 (down 190)

Transfer Summary - No winter signings this season.

Key Players

Matias Chiacchio - Still able to score goals consistently whichever league he plays in. 22 goals this season was enough to be top scorer once again, however, his contract is due up and I don't want to break the bank to keep him, so he may have played his last game for the club.

Junior Miranda - Recovered his form after a poor previous season. 12 goals and 12 assists was a good return, however, at 33 now, he is no longer first choice as his legs are going.

Joe Jones - Another solid season in the back 4. I'm hoping for big things from him next season, a few more goals at set-pieces wouldn't go amiss too.

Team of the Year - Just about right. It was a shame Roman only played 19 games in midfield, he missed far too many games through injuries this year.

Overall Best XI - Jeff Henderson is the notable inclusion here. Chiacchio has now passed 150 games.

Fans Player of the Year - Junior Miranda

Review of Season Objectives

- Consolidation in League 2. I feel we may struggle more this season as we've lost of bit of momentum following our playoff defeat. I don't think we'll be in the relegation battle but I think high mid-table is the most likely result.

Achieved. Was never really in doubt but should give us a good foundation to build for next season on.

- Get a League 1 job. Purely a selfish objective. I feel this will be my last season with Thurrock as I don't think we can go much further. I will need to put myself in the shop window this season to find myself a club of the calibre I desire.

Not Achieved. The only job offers I received over the season were for Chesterfield and Carlisle, neither of which would have been a step-up from where I'm at at the moment with Thurrock. I left it to the end of the season, but I've signed a year extension to my contract (£825 p/w), so I'm now committed to setting them up for another year of League 2 action.

Career History

Season     Team             League    League Finish    Cups            
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
2010/11    Thurrock F.C.    BSS       15th             N/A             
2011/12    Thurrock F.C.    BSS       2nd              FA Cup 2nd Round, FA Trophy 1st Round
2012/13    Thurrock F.C.    BSP       1st              FA Cup 1st Round, FA Trophy 3rd Round
2013/14    Thurrock F.C.    League 2  5th              FA Cup 1st Round, Carling Cup 2nd Round, JPT 2nd Round
2014/15    Thurrock F.C     League 2  6th              FA Cup 3rd Round, Carling Cup 3rd Round, JPT 2nd Round

Good season on the whole. I reckon you need to let your contract run out before the offers will come flooding in. The compensation may put some clubs off recruiting you imo. Good luck for next season :thup:

Archived