[FM11] Guileless Gilbster Goes Global

Gilbster

Decided to start again, but with the new 11.3 database, so that all the changes definitely work wth the save game. Decided that I will attempt a Global Journeygirl career this time.

League Setup

Gone for a variety of leagues with all continents covered.

This will be my last save for FM11, and already know that I only have a few weeks off and on to play it in, so apologies if it appears the career is cut short, due to real life job starting!

Hoping to enjoy this and am determined that the second I dont enjoy my time at a club anymore that I will just resign and go for another job.

Ideally I'd want to manage all over the world and win some trophies, but I'll settle for geting my rep up enough to manage in the top leagues.

Career So Far

Season    Country       Club               Division                 Position   Main Cup   Notes
2010/11   South Africa  F.C.A.K            First Division Inland    5th        QF
2011/12   South Africa  F.C.A.K            First Division Inland    4th        QF
2012/13   South Africa  F.C.A.K            First Division Inland    3rd        QF
2013/14   Portugal      Benfica C.Branco   Second Division Central  6th        R1 

Trophy Case

2011/12 South African First Division Cup

i decided to delay the first couple of offers for a week to see just what choice of jobs I had available to me. I ended up wiith two Portuguese Second Division clubs wanting me , and then I got an offer from F.C.A.K in the South African First Inland Division.

Having not managed in South Africa for years, I jumped at this opportunity. I have accepted a 1 year contract, at a semi pro club. Media prediction of 5th, in an 8 club league. I figure seasons will at least be fast in this division, with only 28 games to play.

Hoping this club will be a stepping stone, or that I can get them promoted within a season or two. Either way, it will be an interesting season.

Just need to sign a decent goalie and decent defence, and we can try and start our campaign, I hope!

Lol Wavelberry, I figured I had to come up with at least 1 decent subject line, cos I cant guarantee what the content is going to be like!

First impressions of South Africa, is that I will be filling my squad initially with poor scouts, and old players that apparently are good enough for the Premier League, which if its true, gives us half a chance at least!

2010/11 End of Season Update

Table | Finances | Transfers

I took over a squad of players predicted for mid table obscurity. I scoured the transfer market for domestic players, and considerably strengthened the squad. Brought in some quality all over the squad. A couple of my existing players have now taken up South African Nationality, so I can start to scour for a couple of new foreign players.

Ultimately, what Tony Hawker said was true, there is a large gap in this league. The clubs that were low in the table were relatively easy to beat, and the ones that were in the playoffs, were tough.

We were knocked out of the first round of the First Division cup, however we did somehow make it to the Quarter Finals of the South African FA Cup, where we narrowly lost 3-2 to Bloem Celtic of the Premier Division. Gives me some confidence that if we were to ever get promoted, the gap isnt gigantic at least.

We did finish in our predicted mid-table obscurity, but it gives us a basis to build on for next season. Hopefully relegation shouldnt even be a worry and breaking into the top 2 could be a possibility if I can find some more players, prefereablly a couple of younger pairs of legs!

First Division Cup Final

Final

What a run to the final we had, including a 6-0 win in the semi finals against FC Cape Town, who knocked us out in the first round last season.

Tuks I reckon should have been favourites, they are usually tough to beat in the league and are above us again this season so far. However we were clearly up for a cup final, and I am delighted to say we have won a trophy already, although only a minor one.

2011/12 End of Season Summary

Table | Finances | Transfers | Squad | Star Player

It was a quite pre-season for us this season. The board announced a link with Orlando Pirates, but only one of their players was willing to come in on loan to us. I couldnt really find anyone I was interested in, in the transfer market, so only a couple of signings were made. Although they turned out to be only bit part players, and were arguably a waste of time.

As you will have seen in my earlier updates, we managed to win the South African First Division Cup, which is a knock out competition for teams in both of the First Division leagues. We also put up a good showing in the South African FA Cup, making it to the quarters again this year, this time being knocked out 2-1 to Orlando Pirates after an extra time own goal from us, which was just gutting. Wish we had at least gone to the Penalty gamble!

In the league the gap between the top teams and even the mid teas is still as large as ever, but we put in a much better showing this season, finishing 4th, which should have been 3rd if we hadnt messed the last few games of the season up.

I have accepted another 1 year extension to my contract, just wish I was being linked with other jobs. Not sure its worth me declaring interest or applying elsewhere yet, as I'd rather be employed than unemployed due to being sacked for appliyng! Odds are if any club offers me a contract, I would probably move at this stage, but otherwise lets see if I can close the gap somewhow next season.

Already know the some of my squad will be shrinking over the summer as a fair few players are retiring.

Career So Far

Season    Country       Club         Division                 Position   Main Cup   Notes
2010/11   South Africa  F.C.A.K      First Division Inland    5th        QF
2011/12   South Africa  F.C.A.K      First Division Inland    4th        QF

Not sure reallly, possibly depends what I can do this season, If I was offered a job a South African Premier Division club I would probably take it, may as well play out this season and see what I feel like and what jobs are about.

12/13 End of Season Update

Table | Squad | Transfers | Finances

With the exception of the lack of a trophy, this seasons report could read almost identically to the last one. Brought in 2 new players, one of which was one of my stars this season, the other may get a chance eventually! My scouts are struggling to find any players that will accept what I can offer in wages, or wil even discuss terms in the first place, which is getting slightly frustating.

There is still a huge gulf between the top 2 sides and 3rd place, one that I cant see being sorted any time soon. We did make some progress and held onto 3rd place pretty much the entire season. Just not sure how we are going to get to the playoffs. It also seems like it is a tough league to get out of, with what appears to only be 1 team between 2 first division leagues going up each season, we would have to get extremely lucky.

I delayed on contract talks for as long as possible before signing an extension for another year, however I am seriously contemplating leaving now, and seeing if I can get work in a similarly low rep league elsewhere, where I may be able to make more of an impact. Dont want my career to stall out, in the depths of South Africa, before it has a chance to get going.

I would however like some input as to whether anyone reading thinks its too soon to leave the club, and where I could realistically expect to get work from, if I do leave? Or even if I should stay. Will leave that open til the morning before making a decision!

Career So Far

Season    Country       Club         Division                 Position   Main Cup   Notes
2010/11   South Africa  F.C.A.K      First Division Inland    5th        QF
2011/12   South Africa  F.C.A.K      First Division Inland    4th        QF
2012/13   South Africa  F.C.A.K      First Division Inland    3rd        QF

I reckon you could get a gig somewhere else quite easily. One of those South American leagues or maybe Wales for a bit. Do you think you could win it next year? If so I'd stay one more year, if you think you've peaked then do one.

Having thought it over, realistcally I think F.C.A.K will be attempting to get into the 3rd-5th for the next few seasons, short of me finding a gem of a player somehwere. I am determined not to waste time at a club, so I am resigning. It is towards the end of May, so there is an outside chance of getting a relegated club into a lower playable division, or possibly a newly promoted, with no track record club, by the time the league resets come in. Either way I will go on holiday, apply for everything and see what I can get offered.

I have accepted a job offer from Sport Benfica e Castelo Branco from the Portguese Second Division Central.

All I am being asked to do is stay clear of relegation, and we are being predicted 13th out of 16th, in a division with 4 relegation spots and a promotion playoff, against the winners of the other 2 parts of the Second Division.

What worries is me, is the rules say you can only register a 30 player squad, which is the opposite of how large I like to have squads, so I am going to have to be very careful in the transfer market, or we'll have loads of unhappy players to deal with.

Oddly enough 2 seasons ago, they finished in 2nd place, and then last season it was 11th, so I am hoping there are still a few good players in the squad to build a base around. Either way its a new challenge, and a new country, so who knows what could happen.

I have accepted a job offer from What worries is me, is the rules say you can only register a 30 player squad, which is the opposite of how large I like to have squads, so I am going to have to be very careful in the transfer market, or we'll have loads of unhappy players to deal with.

Well you don't have to register 30 do You? I'm managing in england and I only registered the minimum of 15. The Rest of my squad are u-21 players.

Benefica C Branco - 2013/14 End of Season Update

Table | Positions | Finances | Squad | Transfers | Results

Well after fear of stagnating in the depths of the South African league took hold, I left and after 2 months accepted the job at Benefica C Branco. We had a prediction of relegation, all I was asked to do was stay clear, and during the middle of the season, I was panicking about my job.

First thing I did was bring in some new staff, I now have some coaches and a good Assistant manager, which I trust at least.

Then broought in a few players, mostly ones that were miles better than existing players, so the old ones will be leaving at the end of the season!

Our first competitive game was the first round of the Taca de Portugal, where we had a bizarre game of attractive football, although we did ultimately lose, I was heartened by our ability to make a comeback. This was followed by the first match in the league a 6-0 win over Tourizense, and I was feeling very positive about what I had put together. It then went a bit wrong, and by the mid part of the season, I was being criticised tactically, and there was talk I wouldnt be offered a new contract. However after a tweak of tactics and change of formation, we started to improve, and prove the pre-season naysayers wrong

I am delighted with finishing 6th in the league, although obviously I do hope to improve on it next season.

We already have 1 new player coming in for the new season, and I suspect there will be a few more joining him, once I free up the wage budget.

All in all, I feel it was a good opening season in Portugal.

Career So Far

Season    Country       Club               Division                 Position   Main Cup   Notes
2010/11   South Africa  F.C.A.K            First Division Inland    5th        QF
2011/12   South Africa  F.C.A.K            First Division Inland    4th        QF
2012/13   South Africa  F.C.A.K            First Division Inland    3rd        QF
2013/14   Portugal      Benfica C.Branco   Second Division Central  6th        R1 

14/15 End of Season Update

Table | Positions Graph | Results | Transfers | Squad | Finances

So near, but yet so far...

..for most of the season, I was mentally writing a glorious season report, detailing how amazing we were to make the playoffs, possibly even promotion. However I didnt take into account, I never manage a consistent team. Apparently we didnt want to go into the promotion playoff this season, as we messed up a few key matches in the run in, and gave away our first place spot, and only just about hung onto to second. I am gutted.

However this is still great progress from last season, and with a few key signings, I'm thinking some defenders that want to keep the ball out the back of the net, I am hopeful we can make another push next season. I feel we need a bit more depth in the squad as a whole, so hopeflly I will be able to fill in the gaps.

As a side note, depending on how fast I get through the next season, there will be a 2 week break, as I am off on holiday on Tuesday, so wont be updates while I'm away (no net access, adn definitely not taking thsi laptop abroad!). If I'm fast, I may be able to get one more update up tomorrow evening .

Career So Far

2012/13   South Africa  F.C.A.K            First Division Inland    3rd        QF         Resigned at end of season
2014/15   Portugal      Benfica C.Branco   Second Division Central  2nd        R2 

Trophy Case

2011/12 South African First Division Cup

• 2 weeks later...

Archived