Where is it more effective to use your 'playmaker' if indeed you chose to select one?

I am managing Liverpool and want to play a 4-1-2-1-2 formation. I prefer to use Cole as the AMC just behind the front two with Gerrard ar RCM. I know Gerrard is clearly the better player but will it be betterl to use Cole as the 'playmaker' as he is higher up the pitch than Gerrard, or does that not matter?

It matters where your playmaker is, but you also need to take the way you play in consideration. If you like to play on the counter, then having an AMC as playmaker is a good idea because he can get a lot of space on the counter. Then your playmaker will be in the mold of wesley sneijder at Internazionale. If you play more short pass possession football, then an AMC will get crowded out too easily, and not get proper time on the ball. In that case, it's a better idea to have your playmaker in a deeper position, like Xavi at Barcelona.

It also depends on the opponent. If the opponent sits back and makes the spaces small, it's better to have a deep lying playmaker. If the opponent plays a high pressing game, it's easier to find space higher up the pitch. You can just change your main playmaker every match depending on the opponent.

If in doubt, you can just play without one designated playmaker. You may not notice the difference.

If you choose a playmaker, don't forget to adjust his individuel setting. Zonal marking, no strict and a light pressing (around 6) will give him more space on the field when your team will win the ball so more time to choose the good option.

I co-sign all the above, what you really want if for your playmaker to dictate the game and he can only do that if he has enough space to operate in. So look at the way you want to play and you'll know where you want your playmaker to be.

Archived