New FM Tactical Challenge - Prolific Goalscorers!

I've got a new challenge for you guys!

After recently starting this thread in GD, I have been fascinated with the idea of having a prolific goalscorer and trying to get the best out of him tactically.

I'm starting this challenge for fun and in order to share tactical ideas. The basic idea is to see who can get the most prolific goalscorer over a period of several seasons!

Essentially, you pick a player who you feel has potential to score tons of goals for your club, and then you work hard on tweaking your tactics (sharing your ideas here) in order to keep him knocking them in!

I think it could be quite interesting to see how people get the best from different types of players. Also, the longer-term element of this challenge is to see how many goals you can get out of a player during his career, which may see you furiously tweaking your tactics in order to get more goals out of a declining forward who is losing his once great powers. You might start off with a youngster banging them in from all angles but then end up with a veteran with no stamina who basically hangs around the box knocking in the occasional effort now and then! :D

In this challenge, there is also the bigger picture of:

1) How to get more goals from your team - so attacking football will pay off here!

2) How to make your chosen striker the focal point of the attack and the main goalscorer.

Everybody loves a goalscorer so this challenge gives you the opportunity for a bit of fantasy! How many goals can you get your striker to knock in?

(By the way, for those who are incredibly successful, this thread might prove interesting! I thought I better include this because if I didn't give a nod in its direction, Nep might explode with wild rage! :D)

CHALLENGE RULES

The rules of the challenge are very relaxed. You can take control of any side you would like to manage. You can use any version of FM you would like and use the TC or classic tactics as you please. The main point is to have fun, share ideas and score a lot of goals!

There are no tactical restrictions. The instructions, player roles, advanced choices etc. are totally up to you.

The challenge has no 'end date' so you can carry on playing as long as you want, whether you want a short-term challenge or something long-term.

You can have as many goes as you want with different players.

You can, of course, set your chosen forward to take penalties, free-kicks, and make sure that he is in optimum positions for set-pieces (this is, in fact, encouraged, because every goal counts!)

Absolutely no use of any editor allowed.

We are only interested in a player's achievements under your management!

I would hope that everyone takes the challenge in the right spirit. Please do not attempt to use exploits or cheats because the main thing is the tactical ideas rather than 'winning' the challenge. As such, there is no winner anyway, although anyone achieving great things will, from that point onwards, be known to all as an FM god! :cool:

Things to report back on:

It would be great if people could post up details of how they are setting up and the choices they make in order to get the best out of their striker. Screenshots of the player in question and the tactics are encouraged. Below, I have listed some things that we are particularly interested in hearing about.

1) The main priority is sharing different tactical choices, roles, duties etc. How are you getting the best out of your striker?

2) If you are using the TC, you can talk about roles and duties for your player, and for the rest of the team, that bring the best out of your goalscorer!

3) If you are using classic tactics, or the advanced mode of the TC, then please share your ideas in terms of mentalities and forward runs etc.

4) How do you set up your team to get the best out of your striker? Questions of formation could be interesting here (e.g. can a lone striker be prolific or does a goalscorer need support in the form of a striker partner, in your opinion?)

5) How can you get the best out of your forward by using set-pieces and so on and so forth?

6) What training schedules do you use to further develop your striker?

7) How do you use team talks, and other motivational features in the game, to keep your striker's morale up and to keep him knocking them in the back of the net?

8) Secondary points about the player's development (training and tutoring - especially training PPMs!), attributes (what do you look out for?) and personality (reaction to team talks and motivation etc.)

9) Anything else you feel is interesting!

So get playing and, most importantly, get scoring goals, goals, goals! :cool:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my entry - meet Michel Vermeer. He is a newgen on my FM10 save with St. Albans City. I present to you all a player that virtual Saints fans in the year 2027 probably refer to as 'God'!

9MichelVermeer-2.png

9MichelVermeer-3.png

9MichelVermeer-4.png

9MichelVermeer-5.png

He has been simply outstanding for me. I love this guy!

This is the best forward I have ever had in my whole FM career. He has broken all kinds of records and won all kinds of awards in my save. This guy is all about pure power, pace, strength, technique and finishing ability.

For most of this save, I have been using him as the 'number 9' (i.e. poacher role) in a 4-4-2.

I've been tweaking my 4-4-2 a bit lately but it looks something like this:

Rigid philosophy & zonal marking.

GK Goalkeeper (Defend)

RB Full Back (Attack)

LB Wing Back (Automatic)

CB Central Defender (Defend)

CB Central Defender (Defend)

RM Winger (Attack)

LM Winger (Attack)

CM Central midfielder(Support)

CM Deep-lying playmaker (Defend)

ST Poacher (Attack)

ST Complete Forward (Support)

Naturally, Michel Vermeer is the poacher (attack).

The only changes I have made in the 'advanced mode' of the TC are as follows:

- I unticked playmaker, as I don't want the DLP as the focal point of the play, but I do want him to take on the characteristics of the DLP (e.g. lower mentality and through balls setting). I have a really complete player here, who is good in defence and creative with good technique and passing etc. The main point of unticking this in relation to my forward is that I want as much variation as possible for him in terms of chances created rather than it often coming through one player.

- The other thing I've tweaked is the creative freedom to boost both wide players and the complete forward. Hopefully this will lead to more 'risk taking' by these players while Vermeer sticks to his instructions and bangs in the chances!

One thing I'm currently toying with is the idea of player swapping involving Michel Vermeer. It's actually something I would quite like other people's input on. I'm considering adding player swapping so that the front two swap positions and essentially make things a bit less predictable (hopefully - that's the plan anyway!) I'm wondering if it will create a bit more uncertainty in the opposition if Vermeer is making runs from different positions etc.? Or do people feel I am best to leave him knocking the goals in as a poacher? Opinions would be good here, so please let me know what you think.

Anyway, back to the tactical side of things. I've basically got plenty of routes to goal, through the wide players who are both set to get forward and get crosses in the box, and also through two creative and complete midfielders in the centre of the park. Michel Vermeer just seems to have everything, so I feel this variation is important.

Vermeer's attributes are fantastic. He is powerful and physically imposing, as well as being technically excellent. Tactically, this means that he is happy getting the ball into feet, running on to through-balls, or receiving crosses into the box. He is powerful and strong, and therefore able to shrug off defenders, and he has the dribbling ability and pace to beat players. His anticipation and off the ball are excellent so he is always going to be getting into good positions. He is also brave, so won't be put off by a battle up front if he is marked tightly or if a defender attempts to shackle him. His technique is excellent and his finishing superb. He is just a complete goalscorer really, which makes my job as a manager kind of easy. I just work to get the others to present him with as many chances as possible and I shouldn't go too far wrong!

The only thing letting Vermeer down is the relatively low composure and also his one footedness but everything else is pretty much perfect. I'm no expert on training but I'm trying to give him lots of finishing training to push that composure up if possible.

In terms of his personality, he is 'resolute' and seems to be a good professional from what I can tell. This makes team talks quite effective with him. He usually responds well to most talks and even takes negative and harsh talks really well, which usually lead to him turning around his game. Something else working in my favour is that one of his favourite clubs is St. Albans City plus his favourite manager is me!

I'm guessing that now, at the age of 27, he must be somewhere near to reaching his peak?

In terms of the playing system, I'm going to be sticking to a 4-4-2 for now. I think, in terms of goalscoring, it is best to have him working with a striker partner, although he could clearly do a job as a lone forward. I may experiment with a 4-5-1/4-3-3 style formation at some point to see if he would still bang them in as a lone forward on a support duty or not. I'm interested to hear other people's opinions on that.

My target is really to see how many goals I can get out of him for the remainder of his career, so I'll be keeping this thread updated with my progress and any tactical thoughts I have in the future as his playing attributes change.

A great thread, I'll be taking part in this. I had a striker who did alright for me the first season. So I'll post about him later this evening :)

Nice one Cleon. Can't wait to see your tactical thoughts.

You're a classic rather than a TC man as well, aren't you? Will make it doubly interesting for me.

I hope we get plenty of variation and different thoughts in here, as I'm hoping that it will challenge a few of my preconceptions and have me learning some new ideas!

Something I forgot to mention is my preference for the rigid philosophy. What I like about this philosophy is that the mentality structure is such that forwards, particularly when used as lone strikers, are given greater mentality settings than the rest of the side so that they essentially 'lead the line'. I feel this is particularly important for any goalscorer.

Allow me to introduce Felipe. He stars for my Oxford side in my FM10 save that i am still playing.

53711660y.png

At 31 years old he has hit 95 goals for Brazil in 124 games and has just scored his 400th career league goal, all but 17 of these were scored for Oxford in the Premier League under my management. In all comps for Oxford his record is 519 games / 618 goals.

85327090.png

He plays as a lone stiker and is set as the target man. Team target man supply is set to 'run onto ball'. In a nutshell my team are just set to pass to him so he can slap the ball in the back of the net.

60162807.png

His individual instructions:

39127900.png

His preferred moves are:

Places shots, comes deep to get the ball, likes to lop the keeper and tries first time shots.

To put it simply, he is lethal. I think his key preferred move is 'comes deep to get the ball' as he does this so often then just uses his pace to run into the box and score. His best season was 2022-23 where he scored an incredible 70 league goals and 98 in all comps that year. He has won world player, world footballer and European footballer of the year for the last 7 years!

He is my favourite FM/CM player of all-time.

These are my team instructions:

52993490.png

Very attacking as you can see which does leave us open at the back, but certainly in my experience gung ho is the best way to go on FM10.

Bio:

68298400.png

Hopefully i can pick some tips up in here about keeping him going for as long as possible as i want to get him to score many more goals yet!

Adding together his 618 Oxford goals in all comps and his 95 Brazil goals which were all scored during his time at Oxford (although i've never been Brazil manager) gives him a grand total of 713 career goals since i bought him. He should make the magic 1000 mark in his Oxford career...

Allow me to introduce Felipe. He stars for my Oxford side in my FM10 save that i am still playing.

Extraordinary stuff there Dave Byrd. :thup:

He plays as a lone stiker and is set as the target man. Team target man supply is set to 'run onto ball'. In a nutshell my team are just set to pass to him so he can slap the ball in the back of the net.

That's what I'm talking about. ;)

So I take it that you are using classic tactics then rather than TC? Interesting that you have him on mixed forward runs.

His preferred moves are:

Places shots, comes deep to get the ball, likes to lop the keeper and tries first time shots.

Yeah, I imagine some of those PPMs are important. I forgot about the importance of PPMs, so I'll add this to the OP. :thup:

He is my favourite FM/CM player of all-time.

Not surprised! :D

crouchaldinho, am i able to count the 95 Brazil goals Felipe has scored as per post 8? He scored them all whilst an Oxford player but i was never the Brazil manager.

EDIT: Yes they will count as just read in the The FM11 Danny Roberts Challenge thread: "International Goals count either under Human, OR AI management".

Just as he is set to 'run on to ball'. I figured maybe more forward runs might be in order?

Normally yeah I'd do the same. But considering the player's stats especially his decision making, anticipation and off the ball he's bound to make the right call more often than not. So he probably still is making the runs but the runs he is making he is more confident of been successful ones. Someone with lesser stats would probably have to be instructed to go the extra mile and do a few more runs.

Normally yeah I'd do the same. But considering the player's stats especially his decision making, anticipation and off the ball he's bound to make the right call more often than not. So he probably still is making the runs but the runs he is making he is more confident of been successful ones. Someone with lesser stats would probably have to be instructed to go the extra mile and do a few more runs.

Fair point Cleon. :thup:

Which slider are we takling? The run from deep one?

Yeah, sorry, 'run from deep'. I keep calling it 'forward runs' due to old habits. ;)

As per post 18 he's scored in each of his last 20 games for me. I'll stick it on 'often' and report back.

It could have a negative effect on the player. It might not but it could. At the minute you let the player decide when to make the run. But by instructing him to make forward runs more often, he'll still attempt them even if its only a small chance he'll make a successful run. So be careful when changing things as it could take away from what seems his perfect game. He's already doing amazing. I'd like to know how he does do though with them set on often. After all if you don't experiment you'll always be left wondering :)

Hmm it's instantly noticable from watching the 3d that he is staying higher up the pitch and has a marker on him the whole time. Before he played deeper and was able to lose his marker. We are now hitting the ball up to him and the defender just deals with it.

I'm gonna put it back onto mixed, too scared to tinker when it was so effective before!

EDIT: he's just scored though....decisions!

I think Cleon is right to be honest. You've clearly hit the sweet spot with that guy, so be careful! :D

Sorry to keep banging on about this but he has gone crazy! Since changing the runs to often he has scored 21 goals in 7 games! It December 22nd and he is already on 53 for the season..

Sorry to keep banging on about this but he has gone crazy! Since changing the runs to often he has scored 21 goals in 7 games! It December 22nd and he is already on 53 for the season..

Any chance of seeing some PKM's from the games please (before the change and after)? As things shouldn't have changed that drastic as he will have been making the runs already. It will be interesting to see how and try and figure out why he seems to be scoring a lot more. You probably don't understand why I want the PKM, but I see them as puzzles and like to figure out why something is happening. For me that's the fascinating bit :)

53 goals in December is awesome though, most I've ever had was about 45. But they dried up a little second half of the season but still managed to score 73 goals that season in the league. That was on FM09, wish I still had the save :(

No worries, how do i get the pkms?

EDIT: here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nv12fl4w1wygwll/FelipePKMs.rar

Put them in 2 folders, before and after the tweak.

Thanks for that I'll have a look at them tonight. It should keep me busy for a couple of hours :)

What are you thoughts on forward runs/runs from deep in the 'classic tactics' sense anyway Cleon?

Mixed for lone strikers, rare/mixed or mixed/often for a striker partnership?

Suppose it depends on the forwards you have and their characteristics.

For lone strikers if he's intelligent enough then I'll let him have mixed. If not then I'll give him the 'often' option to force him to make them myself. It also depends on what kind of system I use the lone striker in. If I use standard wingers then I'll need him advanced so the strikers have someone to aim for. But sometimes if I use inside forwards coming from the AML/AMR positions then I give them forward runs rarely. This is so I see more linked up play between the striker and AML/AMR. You get to see a lot more 1-2's and inter changing play.

Strike partnerships I find I tend to always go for the same kind of set up. I have one of them on forward runs rarely and the other either mixed or often. After watching a few games I noticed that if an interception was made by the oppositions defence then quite a lot of the time the ball went stray for a few seconds. The same happens when its cleared so by having one striker set to rarely it allows him to start the move again by either been passed to or by winning the ball as he won't be as advanced as the other striker. Well for the most part anyway. It also gives the rarely set striker options in front of him. It seems to work out well for how I play.

I've spent a lot of time looking at daft silly things in game like loose balls and interceptions and try and set player's up to capitalise on such things should they happen. I probably actually go overkill with the attention to detail but I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to tactics :)

Thanks for that I'll have a look at them tonight. It should keep me busy for a couple of hours :)

I've spent a lot of time looking at daft silly things in game like loose balls and interceptions and try and set player's up to capitalise on such things should they happen. I probably actually go overkill with the attention to detail but I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to tactics :)

Glad to hear it. Here the link to the Felipe tactic: http://www.mediafire.com/?t94ddfm4agf9sdq

I'd love to see if you could suggest any improvements to it :)

Sorry for not replying sooner with my contribution but finally here it is.

As I’m on a fairly fresh game I don’t have any regens on the game yet so my striker is a normal regular striker. Let me introduce to you, Mr Ched Evans!!

ched.png

As you can see his attributes are exactly poor but there not that great either. Buy my next seasons hope of winning the Premiership at first try will be heavily resting on his shoulders. The screenshot above is from the end of the first season. He managed 27 goals in 30 games which aren’t bad considering he only scored 2 goals in his first 10 games.

goalsf.png

While he was the highest scoring player in my squad he isn’t the focal point of the goals. I have them spread out throughout the squad. I wonder how many more he might have got if he was the focal point. I actually rotated him a fair bit as well and his stand in was just as good. In fact Kezman scored 14 goals in 17 games which are equally as good.

statskd.png

I spent most of the season trying to find the best way to get all my front three to score goals. I managed it in the end but due to what I was trying it took something away from Ched’s game.

The formation I use is a 4-1-2-2-1 or a 4-5-1 as the Tactic’s Creator would call it. It’s nothing too flash or fancy. It’s rather basic in all honesty but did its job and got me promotion. Here are the settings I used for Ched Evans;

statsxi.png

Probably not the average settings you’d expect to find on a striker, especially the quite deep mentality. This was done so he’d arrive in the box late rather than arrive early. As late runners are a lot harder to pick up. It also meant that is my AMR or AML was driving forward with the ball he would be option they could use to pass to. It actually created some very good link up play. It was sort of pass and go movement which is hard for any defence to mark against.

I’ll post up about his second season once I’ve finished it. Or maybe I’ll get my wingers to be prolific and post about them :p

Just completed the 2027/28 season and Felipe was prolific yet again. At 32 years of age he is showing no signs of slowing down, although his pace has dropped from 17 to 16 ;)

2028.png

We were sensationally knocked out of the Champions League in the first knockout stage by Genoa, so he missed the chance to play in more games. We were also knocked of of the FA Cup in the sixth round but won the Premier League (losing just 2 games), the Carling Cup, the Club World Cup the European Super Cup.

Felipes record under me now stands at:

560 club games / 687 club goals (363 league games / 428 league goals)

129 International games / 99 International goals

Grand total:

689 games / 786 goals

2028recird.png

On my career level, it was my 10th Prem title with Oxford and by securing this I finally eclipsed Fergie at the top of the hall of fame to become the most successful manager of all time in the game :)

[cheat mode on] Find a striker with high aggression, bravery, strength, jumping, heading.

Set him to attack far post on corners.Make your corners at far post.

play down to both flanks, have 2 wingers to run with ball and cross byline..

expect a hat-trick in every match.. :p [cheat mode off]

Very good thread, I ll try it :p Also is nice to read your different approaches on this!Lets see..

[cheat mode on] Find a striker with high aggression, bravery, strength, jumping, heading.

Set him to attack far post on corners.Make your corners at far post.

play down to both flanks, have 2 wingers to run with ball and cross byline..

expect a hat-trick in every match.. :p [cheat mode off]

Very good thread, I ll try it :p Also is nice to read your different approaches on this!Lets see..

Was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to start branding the word cheat around..Not sure if you are joking or not?

In-case you are not, speaking for myself, if you look at post 7, screenshot 2 my guy Felipe hit 70 in the league 2022/23 season (his best ever tally). On the same day the season ended (20.5.2023) i also took a SS of my goals from corners for the league:

corners.png

That should clear up the corners issue. As for wingers, see screenshot 3 in the same post...i don't play with wingers and i play through the middle.

Was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to start branding the word cheat around..Not sure if you are joking or not?

In-case you are not, speaking for myself, if you look at post 7, screenshot 2 my guy Felipe hit 70 in the league 2022/23 season (his best ever tally). On the same day the season ended (20.5.2023) i also took a SS of my goals from corners for the league:

That should clear up the corners issue. As for wingers, see screenshot 3 in the same post...i don't play with wingers and i play through the middle.

I don't think he was branding you as a cheat, he was just describing a setup which apparently gets loads of goals.

Btw, did Danny George come through your own youth academy? If so track him in this thread as he looks absolutely brilliant!

I don't think he was branding you as a cheat, he was just describing a setup which apparently gets loads of goals.

Btw, did Danny George come through your own youth academy? If so track him in this thread as he looks absolutely brilliant!

Like i say, not sure if he was joking or not, my apologies to him if i've got the wrong end of the stick.

No, Danny came from Wolves. To be honest i've not had a single decent player ever come through my youth system. Wolves on the other hand have had shed loads, it's almost unbeliveable! They are a mid table prem side and have been for years in my game. Not really sure why they get so many players through their ranks that go onto become world class.

Like i say, not sure if he was joking or not, my apologies to him if i've got the wrong end of the stick.

No, Danny came from Wolves. To be honest i've not had a single decent player ever come through my youth system. Wolves on the other hand have had shed loads, it's almost unbeliveable! They are a mid table prem side and have been for years in my game. Not really sure why they get so many players through their ranks that go onto become world class.

In my Roma save that role has been Siena's who have produced my starting LB (since he was 17, now 19) and the best young striker in the world in my save (20, if he becomes more prolific I might even enter him and Federico Macheda into this challenge). So it seems there are clubs like that on every game.

Back on topic both my strikers aren't as prolific, or as good as Felipe, but their goalscoring may be hindered by my restriction to only Italian players in that save and perhaps the fact that they play as lone strikers in a wide 4-2-3-1 which I tried to build along real-life tactical principles. I may yet post about them as Macheda has been playing very well this season. :)

of course I was joking m8 and didn't point at you at all :p and sorry if it looked like this..

In fact your player Felipe, may have an excellent heading, mean that if he manage to win the head he probably put the ball where he wants, but he lacks on jumping-strength-bravery-aggression, at least compared to a medium - skilled defender :p

So I don't think that it would fit to the corner cheat at all cause he wouldn't win enough heading challenges from the opponent defenders..

I was joking because so many tactics in this forum have their success depending on the cheat corner and I am surprised to see so many people post and praise them for their good tactic :p

but this has nothing to do with this thread of course.. thats a personal obsession :p

Archived