FM 2008: The A.C. Milan Thread - Sponsored by Jesus and Kaka

viktor6

ac-milan.png

Associazione Calcio Milan, commonly referred to by the abbreviation AC Milan or simply Milan, is an Italian professional football club based in Milan, Lombardy. The club was founded in 1899 and has since spent most of its history in the top flight of Italian football.

In European and World competitions AC Milan, along with Boca Juniors have won 17 officially recognised international titles, more than any other club in the world. The club have won what is today known as the UEFA Champions League on seven occasions; only Real Madrid have won it more times (9). As far as Italian competitions are concerned, AC Milan are the second most successful club with 17 league titles; only Juventus have won more (27).

Other important titles which Milan have won includes the Intercontinental Cup three times, the European Super Cup five times, th Cup Winners' Cup twice and, in Italy, the Coppa Italia five times as well as five Italian Super Cups. AC Milan is also one of the G-14’s founding members, a group that represents eighteen of the largest and most prestigious European football clubs.

Their home games are played at San Siro, also known as the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza. The ground, which is shared with rivals Internazionale, is the largest in Italian football, with total capacity of 85,700.

The Current Captain of A.C. Milan is, as ever, Paolo Maldini, with Massimo Ambrosini and Gennaro Ivan Gattuso as vice-captains.

Club Information:

Full Name: Associazione Calcio Milan SpA

Nicknames: Rossoneri (red-blacks), i Diavoli (the Devils)

Founded: December 16, 1899

Ground: San Siro, Milan

Capacity: 85,700

Chairman: Silvio Berlusconi

Head Coach: Carlo Ancelotti

League: Serie A

06/07 Position: 4th

Transfer Budget: £12mil-ish, depending on expectations and allocation.

History

The club was founded as a cricket club in 1899 by British expatriates Alfred Edwards and Herbert Kilpin. In honour of its origins, the club has retained the English spelling of its city's name, instead of changing it to the Italian Milano (though it was forced to do it during the fascist regime, like Genoa and Inter); it should be noted that the Italian pronunciation is actually MEE-lahn, even though the English one is the same as in the local dialect and many other dialects of Northern Italy.

In 1980 Milan were involved in the Totonero scandal and were relegated to Serie B as punishment. The scandal was centred on a betting syndicate paying players and officials to fix the outcome of matches. Milan were allegedly involved in the 2006 Serie A scandal where five teams were accused of fixing matches by selecting favourable referees. Milan were initially punished with a 15 point deduction and banned from the Champions League. An appeal saw their penalty reduced to 8 points and allowed to retain their 2006-07 Champions League participation, where they won the competition.

First Team Squad

1 GK Dida

2 DF Cafu

3 DF Paolo Maldini (captain)

4 DF Kakha Kaladze

5 MF Emerson

7 FW Alexandre Pato (official from January)

8 MF Gennaro Gattuso (vice-captain)

9 FW Filippo Inzaghi

10 MF Clarence Seedorf

11 FW Alberto Gilardino

13 DF Alessandro Nesta

16 GK Željko Kalac

17 DF Dario Šimić

18 DF Marek Jankulovski

19 DF Giuseppe Favalli

20 MF Yoann Gourcuff

21 MF Andrea Pirlo

22 MF Kaká

23 MF Massimo Ambrosini (vice-captain)

25 DF Daniele Bonera

27 MF Serginho

29 GK Valerio Fiori

31 DF Digão

32 MF Cristian Brocchi

34 MF Ibrahim Ba

36 DF Matteo Darmian (from youth team)

44 DF Massimo Oddo

94 FW Willy Aubameyang (from youth team)

99 FW Ronaldo

Analysis:

Despite having, on paper, one of the finest teams in Europe, AC Milan are very much a club in transition, and have been for over 3 years now. Some of this is due to the lack of obvious replacements, but some of it is in no part due to a certain sentimentalism. AC Milan boast an impressive defence which has a fairly solid cover, though investment in a centre-back is probably wise, at first to rotate with Maldini, and then to replace him. The midfield is solid, though it is often difficult for newcomers to AC Milan to figure out the best system to play, so depending on tactics, you might need a few additions. Up front is a different story. Ronaldo is, sadly, almost always injured, and while Inzaghi is good, he is losing his powers. Investment in an extra striker is, in my mind, a top priority, though remember that from January, Alexandre Pato will be available. A new keeper isn't essential, but you might be interested in one anyway.

Post your great games (preferably with a screenie, ideally with a little commentary to give us a sense of the emotions too). Updates should take the standard format of a pre-season post, a January post and an end-of-season report. Try and give details about expectations and occurrences to give us a sense of how things are panning out.

Don't hesitate to ask for advice about tactics or signings.

And lastly, Buona Fortuna!!!!!!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A tactic for AC Milan -

1) Arrange friendly for your reserve team against U18's in about 2 weeks time.

2) Select all of your reserve team using Ctrl+A

3) Move them all to either the first team squad or U18's.

4) Continue a few times

5) About a day later you will have a squad full of grey players.

6) All of these will be amazing 19 year old Italians.

7) Offer them contracts and move to Senior team.

8) Another lot will come through.

9) This can be repeated as many times as you like and due to them demanding little wages is a sure fire way to get a better team.

icon_wink.gif

Have fun.

Originally posted by foxmad:

A tactic for AC Milan -

4) Continue a few times

9) This can be repeated as many times as you like and due to them demanding little wages is a sure fire way to get a better team.

icon_wink.gif

Have fun.

Does this only work in italy, because ive tried it with arsenal. But is doesnt seems to work

I think a way to go with Milan considering the lack or options up front is a 4-5-1.

Dida

Oddo Kaladse Nesta Janku

Pirlo Gattusso

Winger Kaka Winger

Gilardino

But two wingers or one and play Seedorf too. Perhaps Quaresma and Montolivo? I'm not sure who's availiable for what in 08 yet.

Originally posted by moggydave:

I think a way to go with Milan considering the lack or options up front is a 4-5-1.

Dida

Oddo Kaladse Nesta Janku

Pirlo Gattusso

Winger Kaka Winger

Gilardino

But two wingers or one and play Seedorf too. Perhaps Quaresma and Montolivo? I'm not sure who's availiable for what in 08 yet.

Why isnt Maldini in your team?

He's a monster in the '08 demo, rated at the same level as Nesta!

Same with Cafu, Brocchi & Emerson.

I had a quick play around, and with a few budget adjustments at the right moments, i managed to sign Barzagli for a structured deal worth £12m, Akinfeev in a structured deal worth £17m, Tuia for nout & still have £8m left over for a striker.

So if your planning on sticking with the default 4-1-2-1-2 formation, thats every area strenghtened that needed strengthening imo.

How did you manage to get so much transfer funds? in this demo i just got 12 m.

I am finding it rather difficult....milan squad is a bit short especially upfront and players are mostly aging having their condition minimised. I managed to sign Fernando Meira(dc about 7 million), and Defoe( 5 Million Forward) , and Jelle Van Damme (1 million Andrelecht) For the full version i dont think i will opt again for Defoe but he costs few millions at least.

I have played 11 games so far in the league winning 11 drawing 4 and loosing once ( 5-0 To udinese :-/ ) Juventus amazingly enough won all their league matches 11 from 11 conceeding only 2 goals)

How are you guys doing?

You can do budget adjustments on the fly now.

You can reduce your wage limit, but increase your transfer budget.

Ideal really, as the default wage budget is very high for whats needed imo.

You can do it a few times, best to do it when negotiating a transfer.

Did it 2-3 times i think.

A tactic for AC Milan -

4) Continue a few times

icon_wink.gif

Have fun.

For God Sakes, please can you stop posting this around everywhere, you didnt even come up with this trick.

Check the date mate before you make assumptions, this is the only place I have posted it. If you get your facts right before you jump on the bandwagon then everything will be alright.

Let me explain what happened, Francis Cole posted this in OTF, and as some people never go there I decided to post it here as this appears to be the AC Milan, now I don't claim to have found it by any chalk. But this was the first time it had been posted in the Football Manager Forums and the only time I have posted it.

If you're looking for the chap who keeps posting it and goes by the name of Liam =D then I accept your apology.

icon_smile.gif

RE: Stubbsville Soldier.

Surely it is better that SI know as they can then make the game much more realistic and remove this bug.

So I posted it here as it may help someone struggling with AC Milan, and basically to help some people have some fun with it before it is sorted on the patch.

Surely it is better that SI know as they can then make the game much more realistic and remove this bug.

So I posted it here as it may help someone struggling with AC Milan, and basically to help some people have some fun with it before it is sorted on the patch.

I agree, hence why I said they will fix it. Its an issue that needs sorting if its going to be abused.

Originally posted by Stubbsville Soldier:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foxmad:

I agree, hence why I said they will fix it. Its an issue that needs sorting if its going to be abused. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Stubbsville Soldier:

I signed Barzagli and Zaccardo. Bazigli cost £12.25 + 50% sell on clause, Zaccardo was £7.25 + 50% sell on clause. Im currently looking for a keeper (maybe Agliardi from Palermo), a left back and also Montolivo to replace Seedorf.

Seedorf is class from the off in 08 though.

Most of the Milan squad is, including the aging players.

• 2 weeks later...

i am playing milan now.

i use a 3-2-2-1-2

3 DCs: kaladze, nesta and maldini

2 DMCs: with arrows to MC this are ambrosini and either gattuso or pirlo (most of the time of of the three is injured, so the choice isn't that hard)

2 ML/R with farrows to AML/AMR: Seedorf and brocchi (sometimes i rotate those with jankulovski and gurcuff)

AMC: Kaka

2 strikers: most of the times this is gilardino and inzaghi bec\ause ronaldo is always injured

when too many strikers are injured and enough DMCs are fit i move one striker to MC and put Pirlo there.

In the demo i bought amauri and barzagli. In that half year i lost once and drawed 2 times. Amauri leading the topscorer charts.

Now in the real game i bought quaresma and aaritalo. Vela is coming in juli

Passing is set to short, temp rather quick and focus passing through the center. This leads to Pirlo and Kaka giving gorgeous through passes and Gilardino wasting the opportunity. icon_razz.gif

A tactic for AC Milan -

4) Continue a few times

icon_wink.gif

Have fun.

im sorry for being a little slow, im only new to this forum but been playing football manager since 97. please can you explain this tactic. my english is not very good or maybe im reading it wrong. molto grazie icon_wink.gif

wee its that time of year again and i've started my usual ac milan game!

on the back of last year, trying to sign villa again is much harder at the start of the season and instead i settled for £40m over 24 months + £7.5m upfront for sergio aguero as a replacement striker.

other signings were micah richards, diego, van der vaart, aquilani, dessena, barzagli.

sold seedorf, kaladze, ronaldo.

finished the season in 1st with aguero scoring 50 goals overall, admittedly 14 were in preseason, he also finished with a multitude of awards.

my team lined up as:

GK: dida

LB: richards (£30m over 24 months)

DCl: nesta

DCr: barzagli (£15m over 24 months)

RB: oddo

MCl: gattuso (with arrow to DMC, more defensive+closing down)

MCr: pirlo (with arrow to DMC, less defensive+closing down)

AMCl: van der vaart (£12m over 24 months)

AMCc: kaka

AMCr: diego (£20m over 24 months)

FC: aguero (£40m + £7.5m over 24 months)

start of the second season, sergio ramos comes in for £33m (release fee) to play LB, and gerrard for a hefty £60m upfront plus £5m over 24 months to play AMCr.

i played for 2 years...

i used 4231 or 4321...

after some unbeaten game (about 20something) at the end of season... my goalscorer always gettin some bad luck...in 1st season and 2season...

it's like scorin' a goal is so difficult ...any one know why ?

btw use the trick upside... and got A LOT of good player...

other than that i bought Vaillati for 2M (**** pot abi)

rosina for 14M (***** pot abi )

I always, for sentimental reasons, keep the "milan" formation when I play as AC. Sadly, due to the striker problem I've had to play 4-3-2-1 with flying full-backs.

I've bought Rosina (for January) and am currently looking for a striker. I also bought Zaccardo.

4 weeks in, 3rd in serieA, Ronaldo hasn't played yet, but my 1st team is:

Dida-

Kaladze, Maldini, Nesta, Zaccardo

Emerson (deep), Seedorf (centre-left M), Pirlo (playmaker, through balls ahoy), Gattuso (centre-right M)

Kaka forward with only one mission: attack, long shots, run with the ball and wreak havoc. Took him off free role and he's scored 5 goals so far, out of about 11 games.

Foward- Gilardino, targetman, targetman setting: pass onto the run.

does anyone here get ronaldo to sign a new contract? after he recoverd from his injury he played around 1/2 of my games from the start, but he still whines about wanting to be in the first game, and doesn't want to sign a new contract..

i was hoping to get a little money for him at the end of the season, but i'm afraid he'll run away for free..

my team is doing just fine btw.. bought barzagli for €16,5M, Ääritalo for €250k, Saivet for €775k and got Ignashevich for free (obviously). Ustari came over in the winter for €24M. And i'm getting Marcela for €8M and Lulinha for €3,6M in the next season.

im first in the serie a with a giant gap between me and the nr 2, inter. just won the semi final of the CL against man utd.. away with 1-0 and at home with 5-4.. will be playing chelsea in the final...

my formation:

keeper:

dida/ustari

defenders: (left to right)

kaladze-barzagli-nesta-oddo

midfielders:

pirlo/ambrosini (as central dm)

seedorf/ääritalo-gattuso (central midfielders, left and right)

kaka(central am with arrow to strikers)

attackers:

gilardino,inzaghi,pato, ronaldo, ääritalo and saivet rotating

I am playing 4-3-2-1, MRC and MLC have arrows pointing sideways to the wings, playmakers Kaka (full creativity, free role, run with ball often) and van der Vaart, occassionally Pirlo. Short passing, slow tempo, pass thru middle, tackling normal.

I am in December 11th, waiting to play with America (MEX) in Club World Champ. Second in seria A behind Inter Pl-15 Pts-39, we Pl-14 Pts-34 (4 draws and no loss), the game in hand is against Fiorentina.

Have qualified for 2nd round of UCL top of the group with 13pts. Other teams Benfica, Dinamo Bucharest and CSKA Moscow.

Signings

I signed van der Vaart-€22.5M. I missed on Rosina as Torino wanted €30M but they accepted Barca's offer and he is going there in January for €19M+clauses.

Felipe (DC) from Udinese €9.5M - I overpaid for him because arsenal had an offer accepted and didn't want to miss him as I was beaten by Barca for Barzagli's signature. This boy was a solid DC in FM07 so i hope he will be the same in this game too.

I also bought Igor Akinfeev for €24M as Dida was injured in August for 3 months.

Loaned Almunia to act as 3rd choice GK (2nd choice while Dida was out). I just don't trust Kalac since my coaches report said his is fairly inconsistent performer and has a 1 star rating.

Sotiris Ninis and Ever Banega are coming in on Summer 2008 for €600K and €2.3M respectively.

Favalli loaned out to Reggina, Dario Simic loaned out to Genoa, Brocchi sold to Lazio for €2M

Released a lot of under 20s and have populated the team with greyed out players after offering them contracts.

I love Giampaolo Pazzini but Fiorentina are my rivals so i will overpay for him. I'll wait few seasons for him to get him.

I plan to sign Fabregas - he looks a world beater in this game. I will wait for 3 or 4 seasons to save enuf for him. Lets wait and see.

One good thing about this game is that you can do a Budget adjustment. I started with transfer budget of €18M and a wage budget of €2.4M or €2.7M but i readjusted to tr budget of €47M and wage budgte of €1.9M

Season

When I started the season first 11 was (Right to Left):

Akinfeev

Oddo-Nesta-Maldini-Jankulovski

Gattuso-Pirlo-Seedorf

Kaka-van der Vaart

Gilardino

but since November it is:

Akinfeev

Oddo-Felipe-Maldini-Jankulovski

Gattuso-van der Vaart/Pirlo-Ambrosini

Kaka-Seedorf/Gourcuff

Gilardino

reason: I have found that van der Vaart plays well as a MC Playmaker than AMC Playmaker. Nesta made a couple of mistakes in two consecutive games, in one he got a 5 so i dropped him. Ambrosini is solid and is my Vice Capt.

Ronaldo is not injured now but he has personal problems - i gave him a leave of absence, he is back but doesn't play well - 2 starts and 1 sub so far. i will sell him if i can or just let his contract run out in the summer. he is fishing €135,000/week which is unfair considering his contribution to the team.

I have one hat trick this season and guess who? - Gennaro Gattuso - we won 3-0 to Parma at home.

3 red cards so far. The usual suspects, so no surprises here. Gattuso, Ambrosini and Pirlo (elbowed a fellow - 2 match ban in UCL).

Biggest win was against Benfica 6-2 at home. Only two losses 0-1 to Sevilla in Euro Supa Cup and 1-2 to Benfica away.

Kaka is on 10 goals, 4 assists, 3 MoM in 18 appearances

Gilardino - 13 goals, 3 assists, 2 MoM in 19 appearances

van der Vaart - 3 goals, 4 assists, 1 MoM in 17 appearances

Pirlo is at par with VDV in 19 appearances

Igor Akinfeev had gone 18 consecutive games with rating=7, then 2 sixes and a nine (getting MoM award against Genoa away and we won 2-1)

The contracted greyed out players in under 20s are doing wonders. They are first in the under 20s with 39 points from 15 games GF is 73 GA is 10. My leading scorer has 25 goals from 16 apps playing the same position as Kaka (AMRC), his name is Fabio Cudia 19yrs old.. Biggest wins are 11-0 and 10-0 against Livorno and Lazio under 20s.

Will give you more soon....

I am surprised at how Pirlo fails to command an automatic place in the team for some on here.

Ambrosini's class, and gets the nod ahead of Gattuso in the first season (though I might play both away).

But in my first season, where I won serie A and should have won the Champ's League were it not for an outrageous Man U comeback in the semis, Pirlo was outstanding. He must have made 40 appearances or so, most of them starts; he got upwards of 10 goals, and nearly 20 assists.

Pirlo, not Kaka, is my playmaker, if I use one. I put him on mixed (just over short) passing, so he can make some longer-range passes. A lot of my moves go through him, and since I play him in his natural DM position (with forward-thinking mentality and through balls) he makes things happen.

He was the outstanding player and really saved me from coming 2nd in the last 10 matches of serie A. With Kaka and Rosina injured, UI switched to a 4-1-3-2 and made Pirlo play as a MC running onto AMC. He was outstanding and got a few proper goals (i.e. not free-kicks).

Play Pirlo right, and support him with the DMC's to do the gruntwork, and he'll reward you.

As above, wouldnt mind knowing some good coaches to get, my 15 season Milan save, i didnt both with youth till my 10th.

I want to start early in 08, and get them churning out asap.

Im not doing too bad thus far, transfer wise.

Played 2 games, Siena & Sevilla, won 3-1 and 3-2.

Managed to sign:

Akinfeev

Barzagli

Tuia

Amauri

VanDerVaart

Im playing 4-1-2-1-2 with the tactics mentioned late on in the 07 thread.

Transfer targets/outs for next season:

Zaccardo - hopefully on a free. Replacing Cafu.

Chiellini - Hes gone Sevilla so he'll be easyier to get than from Juve. Replacing Kaladze

Pazzini or Bojan - Inzaghis Replacement.

Cassani - Long term replacement for Oddo.

Raul Garcia - Replacement for Brocchi.

Kompany or another good fast defender - Replacement for Maldini.

And evantually Fabregas.

skanky: I'm very wary of using hold up the ball for any player other than a strong striker, and then only if I'm in the lead, because I always play with two strikers and I expect them both to work the flanks, drop deep, and get goals.

Pirlo is set to an attacking mentality (normal away), highest creatrivity, strong closing down. He wins a few balls by getting there first, but mostly, he's the one who the ball goes to if we've hit a "dead end" forward.

I'm having serious problems in season 2, but in season 1 it worked a treat. No, I might try to put him on "Mixed" passing, to see if he can release players out wide- as I may be forced to play with wide players soon if my 41212 stops working.

(I'm thinking Pandev up front, Robinho out left, Kaka AMC, and Rosina on the right... Pirlo and Ambrosini/Gattuso to pick up the pieces)

gone back to the 4-1-2-1-2 i used in fm07.

i didnt think of putting pirlo on highest creativity, i think only kaka has the highest creativity (about 15 i think).

although i do have him set to low closing down (moot point with the closing down bug surely) with direct passing (again around 15) and the 2 MCs in front to close down super quick, as pirlo sucks as a DMC, he cant tackle or mark for toffee!

I play with the no transfer fund initially...so there is no buying selling at the start of the season..means i have to play with what ancelotti does icon_rolleyes.gif

Is really tough..and i can understand ancelloti's position.

Tactics

I normally play 4-3-2-1 ( the christmas tree that carlo also plays).The 2 AMCs have sarrows and the MC(pirlo) has a barrow in away matches. The sidebacks have farrow in home matches.

My starting 11 becomes

Dida

oddo nesta maldini/bonera kaladze

gattuso pirlo ambro

kaka seedorf

pippo/gila

I buy strikers and backup defenders in the january window.

So I switch to 4-3-1-2 home with pirlo as central MC gattuso/ambro as MCr and seedorf as MCl. My away tactics becomes 4-1-3-2 with pirlo as dmc and kaka as central MC with farrow.

Transfers

In july i cannot buy and no one else can buy from me coz no one has any transfer budget so I take a few players on loan.

I usually loan a GK(benaglio), a defender (fazio), MC (diaby), AM(baptista) & Fwd(saviola or soldado)

In january i buy palacio, belluschi, kompany, barzagli & banega, Kiesling. This time I have also bought Steven Defour and seen that he is a wonderkid...so lets see.

In 2008 I am buying a gk(Ochoa - cheaper than akinfeev),another Fwd(giuseppe rossi), a DR(Alves), Crespo(cover for Inzaghi & got him for free) and some U20s at cheap.

Result

I was playing in a network game with my room mate who was Inter. In the 1st 6 months he had raced to a 14 pt lead in serie a. but after my january buys, i started playing in aggressive manner to win at roma,lazio,juve & fiorentina. Our milan inter 1st round was drawn 2-2 after I was leading 2-0. Ultimately in the end he was 3 points ahead with our match left. I won it 2-0 to tie in pts but go ahead in league and won the league. Lost in the semis of italian cup to Cavani(5 goals over the 2 leg).

Won the Cl 4-2 over my friend at Inter again after equalising at 2-2 in the 89th min. Gila scored a hattrick icon_biggrin.gif

have also won the supercups and world club cup already

Club offered me a new deal in 2008 for 2 months as I had won the league before their plan. My friend at inter is still stuck at his old deal icon_wink.gif

Guest ArneKing

I am impressed icon_smile.gif

half way through season 1 (with transferfunds). Ive bought Amauri, barzagli, ignashevich and a couple of youngsters (zakho/phiatti). ive won the supercup and world club, but struggling to keep on top of the league. Both inzaghi and gilardino suck at goalscoring. Kaka rules but his been injured a couple of times. Now seedorf, ambrosini, gattuso, kaladze are out for a good while. and dont get me started at Ronaldo! What a f.... puzzy!!!Personal problems!! El gordo MY ASS

Whats with the penalties, I had 3 yet, but havent scored on any!!!

I am just playing with AC and am doing great......I am lying in 1st position, 29 leg two points above Juve.

Just created a great tactic (which you can check in tactic forum.....) and it works great with Milan.

Kaka absolutely rules as does Pirlo and I am rotating Pipo, Gila and Ronnie and they score just enough.

Bought only Barzagli, Breno (out on loan) and sold Bonera

Originally posted by BoomAM:

As above, wouldnt mind knowing some good coaches to get, my 15 season Milan save, i didnt both with youth till my 10th.

I want to start early in 08, and get them churning out asap.

Im not doing too bad thus far, transfer wise.

Played 2 games, Siena & Sevilla, won 3-1 and 3-2.

Managed to sign:

Akinfeev

Barzagli

Tuia

Amauri

VanDerVaart

Im playing 4-1-2-1-2 with the tactics mentioned late on in the 07 thread.

Transfer targets/outs for next season:

Zaccardo - hopefully on a free. Replacing Cafu.

Chiellini - Hes gone Sevilla so he'll be easyier to get than from Juve. Replacing Kaladze

Pazzini or Bojan - Inzaghis Replacement.

Cassani - Long term replacement for Oddo.

Raul Garcia - Replacement for Brocchi.

Kompany or another good fast defender - Replacement for Maldini.

And evantually Fabregas.

How in the world did you manage to buy all those players without playing with the editor

Archived