Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rko7

Biggest Regret

36 posts in this topic

Was wondering what was the one thing you still look back on today thinking "man i wish i'd done that differently." it could be turning down a job offer, selling a future world class player for peanuts, or spending way too much on a donkey.

For me it was turning down Rangers job after 6 long years with East Stirling cos i thought i still had work to do. Was sacked 2 months later.

Not getting James Brown at Hartlepool under contract b/f he signed away to Hearts and is worth $6mil US. It is not just b/c I lost him, it is b/c I made the conscious decision to wait to sign him. [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

I have a few.

1) Selling my 18 y/o N.Ireland U21 international and future star defender for 500K plus clauses to Sunderland when I was in League 2.

2) Not signing a 17/yo Irish winger for 14k when I had the chance. The same winger who has gone onto get capped by Ireland.

3) Releasing a player on a free who went onto to sign for a club in a higher league than me.

Mine? I was running away with the title with Man United, having won it four years consecutively previously, and I spent the whole summer dismissing Barcelona's advances for Gerard Pique. In the end, I gave up, believing that he wasn't that crucial anyway, and took £20m plus their best central defender, a Swedish regen. We began losing games as soon as he was gone by some margin too. Finished second and decided to resign.

at celtic, had a regen named alexis arrieta who i'd signed for £8m from river plate when he was 17... at 20 every major club in europe wanted him but i'd managed to keep hold of him somehow after he had helped us win the champions league in 2013... so athletico offer £40m and the bloody idiots on the board accept without me being able to stop them... then barca enquire... i say give me £80m... and they come back with an offer of £80m! but the idiot arrieta only decides he wants to go to athletico doesn't he... i miss out on an extra £40m which would have confirmed celtic as a major european force... my regret is the fact that i got my hopes up by pointlessly demanding more than i would have got anyway, before being caught out by an annoying fault in the game

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">caught out by an annoying fault in the game </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

In my current game it's not changing my tactics as Rangers when I'd gone 3-1 up against Celtic at Parkhead. My team were playing brilliantly in the first half, so I thought I'd leave things as they were. I foolishly ignored that little voice in my head saying "take off a striker and bring on a holding midfielder". Lost 4-3, although I did have a goal disallowed two minutes from time.

Quitting Hyde United to manage Man Utd (even though I'm a big fan), making a "backup" save before I changed jobs, then going over it accidentally with another save.

Got bored winning everything with Man Utd and wanted to resume my Hyde save, only for it to be gone [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]