Sick and tired of ongoing bug inthe ME

No, but you'd expect some level of consistency, or at least the results to be skewed one way or another, otherwise what are the tactics doing?

4 wins for Cardiff, 2 for Leeds, 2 draws.

Maybe a better example would be to try this on two teams who a bit less equally matched, actually.

but one single thing can change the course of a game, there is no way you should expect the same results by running the same game over and over and especially not using the same team talks for each game even tho each game has its own unique situation at half time.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you guys have gone off topic anyway, I thought this thread was about the goal kick problem, but you two seem to be having your own argument about the game in general. We've got enough of those threads!

Sorry fella.

You're right - I digress.

I have been having the problem you and Lonestar have been talking about, but it's just one in a whole raft of weird stuff I see happening in every game, which is why I started banging on about the others.

I'll leave you to it! ; )

but one single thing can change the course of a game, there is no way you should expect the same results by running the same game over and over and especially not using the same team talks for each game even tho each game has its own unique situation at half time.

Apologies - I wrote that down wrong.

I used the Ass Man's suggested every time, not the same one every time.

I realise that wouldn't make sense...

defensive lines push up after a goal kick, thats the way it works, they do not sit deep from that situation, there is alot more than just the pace of the defender to think about, what should actually bother you is why your midfielder who you say is great in the air has been beaten from his own goal kick and why your keeper has only reached the half way line with his kick, i would look at that before blaming the defensive position, if your defenders are slow they would lose out in that situation anyway.

Name calling, great way to get your point across in a grown up mannor, well done.

I wasnt trying to show any tactical issues, you were.

Following this post I honestly think you simply dont know the basics of football.

Sorry fella.

You're right - I digress.

I have been having the problem you and Lonestar have been talking about, but it's just one in a whole raft of weird stuff I see happening in every game, which is why I started banging on about the others.

I'll leave you to it! ; )

No worries. Just to point out, I'm not having issues with this myself, but have participated in the discussion and just didn't want to see it closed because of any bickering.

Hope I don't get done for impersonating a mod...

Why do some people refuse so blatantly to accept that there's a possible bug on this game?

If it was only "your tactics" you wouldn't get chances created this way on your favour as well, clearly this indicates that this particular instance is happening way too often.

We get it, you love the game and we love the game as well but the extent that people go to defend that there's nothing ever wrong with the game gets ridiculous sometimes and it's what often ruins threads on important issues.

i could run tests if you really wanted, i have saves with AC Milan, Barcelona, Aberdeen, Cambridge and Luton, i have not had this issue with any of them, but then i dont try and aim all goal kicks down the middle of the pitch, centre backs will usually always be better in the air than my midfield or strikers so i dont see the point wasting posession like that.

Its hardly bragging saying you have dominated with the best team and best players in the world!! I'm no genius at this game but there are somethings that are simple to sort, this for me is one of them.

So you're saying because you choose to work around the issue there must be no issue? I suppose it's one way to approach things...

I remember discussions on this from way back and from what I recall the way it works is intentional. The defensive line is meant to push up with every goal kick regardless of your tactical settings. The problem is that the defenders aren't quick enough to react if the ball comes back at them and more importantly, they are completely unable to anticipate it happening. It's a problem with general play as well and the reason why attacking players find it so easy to get clean through behind the defense in FM. Another thing that contributes to it is the accuracy of these sort of clearances by the defenders being way too high. In reality even if the defending player wins the header it's likely to end up at the feet of the opposition players or out of play as it's extremely hard to direct a header precisely where you want it to when you're being challenged in the air. This aspect is really not represented well in the ME.

Question to the OP here: How do you watch your games? Full match, extended or key?

I've put mine onto extended this evening, and in 8 matches I have only actually seen one goal kick (and there was no goal at the end of it), but I know there were a lot more goal kicks than this because of the amount of shots off target. So are you saying that it happens on every goal kick, or every goal kick that is shown in highlights? Because obviously it would seem that any goal kick that doesn't end up going the way of your theory is not deemed worthy of a highlight.

So you're saying because you choose to work around the issue there must be no issue? I suppose it's one way to approach things...

I remember discussions on this from way back and from what I recall the way it works is intentional. The defensive line is meant to push up with every goal kick regardless of your tactical settings. The problem is that the defenders aren't quick enough to react if the ball comes back at them and more importantly' date=' they are completely unable to anticipate it happening. It's a problem with general play as well and the reason why attacking players find it so easy to get clean through behind the defense in FM. Another thing that contributes to it is the accuracy of these sort of clearances by the defenders being way too high. In reality even if the defending player wins the header it's likely to end up at the feet of the opposition players or out of play as it's extremely hard to direct a header precisely where you want it to when you're being challenged in the air. This aspect is really not represented well in the ME.[/quote']

not really i find it more common sense with my choice of tactics and player choice, unless you have a big huge target man your forwards will almost always get beat in the air from your own goal kick, especially when a defender can take a run before attemping a jump, the player on the side of the goal kick doesnt always get that choice because the ball is coming towards him, so for me its common sense the defender will win most of those kind of balls so i find it useless to pump the ball up into that area, very few keepers in real life kick right down the middle they will go more to the sides to try and avoid what the OP is describing. But you are right the defensive line SHOULD push up in this situation, and your maybe right it is the anticipation of the defenders that is the problem not the defensive line itself.

Well i gave it a try, and i no 1 game is not a big sample size, but none of my goal kicks led my defensive line out of position, moved them forward, or produced the OP's scenario. I play a flat 4-4-2 all are told to stick to position, the CB's are central defenders/defend, my FB's are automatic. Balance/Standard/Man Marking/Stick to Position team instruction, pretty basic and i haven't been burned all season. 9-4-0

Wish i could help.

Question to the OP here: How do you watch your games? Full match, extended or key?

I've put mine onto extended this evening, and in 8 matches I have only actually seen one goal kick (and there was no goal at the end of it), but I know there were a lot more goal kicks than this because of the amount of shots off target. So are you saying that it happens on every goal kick, or every goal kick that is shown in highlights? Because obviously it would seem that any goal kick that doesn't end up going the way of your theory is not deemed worthy of a highlight.

I watch extended. My belief is that the poor defensive line positioning and movement happens every goal kick, but I see it more in highlights due to being in a lower league and having slower CBs. In my other game, I had quick CBs and barely saw the situation result in a CC (and thus rarely saw goal kicks in highlights). In looking at the pictures I posted above, had my CB been quick, he probably would have reached the ball first, or made a tackle resulting in play that would not be considered a highlight.

Well i gave it a try, and i no 1 game is not a big sample size, but none of my goal kicks led my defensive line out of position, moved them forward, or produced the OP's scenario. I play a flat 4-4-2 all are told to stick to position, the CB's are central defenders/defend, my FB's are automatic. Balance/Standard/Man Marking/Stick to Position team instruction, pretty basic and i haven't been burned all season. 9-4-0

Wish i could help.

Your defensive line didnt move during the goal kick? Can you post screen shots please? I am very interested in a solution.

But....I play a deep line (as stated several times). 3-4 clicks up from the lowest option. Playing any deeper makes the rest of my tactic go to heck and still doesn't fix the issue. Goal kicks seem to mostly ignore the defensive line settings.

wish i could help. to be honest i play attacking on fluid philosophy so i generally have a high line, and dont get this problem, but in your shot your D-line is incredibly high

This is exactly why I tell my Gk to distribute to DR, it helps.

The problem is that when taking goal kicks the GK still kicks the ball upfield half of the times. If you have a tall DM or CM in your team you'll see this happen way too much. I had pre season matches in where I won 5-0 with 3 goals from this situation.

Do you have fast CBs?

not particularly. play with vidic and a slowing down rio ferdinand (think he is 13 for pace and acceleration), though i also have vertonghen and evans (14 and 12, 15 and 14).

The issue in my game was mainly for the AI, and that 1st season, not so much second season probably becuase they fear me and play deeper in general. Would definitely have a look at the pkms when you put them up. If you really do think its a bug, i'd also make sure to put them up ,and your game save in the bugs thread, especially with the final patch coming out anything in the next 5 weeks

Just thinking about this a bit more, what are your full backs set too? It could be that they are pulling your centre backs forward if they are set to be so attacking but the centre backs are set too defensive. As madsheep says, your defensive line is very high looking at it again, they should definitely push up but they seem to be very close to the midfield which is leaving them open to the header back over the top, there is a very small gap and if they are not quick and the centre mid does not win the first ball it definitely would leave you in a lot of trouble. I'd like to see a few matches and see what your defensive line is doing most of the time. I cant see from the pictures but which team are you playing as? Id like to check out the stats of the centre backs your playing.

This has been said often before but I will repeat it.

If you feel that there is an obvious flaw in the game's match engine, open a thread in the FM 11 Bugs forum, match engine section and include some pkms for the testers to check. Nobody can really be sure whether it is a bug or not, but the ones that need to know are the SI coders and none of them will be in this thread I suspect.

unresponded means that people think they're being ignored and thus start a thread in a forum which they think things will be read?

have you seen how many there are, a lot of which are repeats of what someone has already reported, if they spent all their time replying to each one, they wouldnt get round to fixing the issue raised in the first place

have you seen how many there are, a lot of which are repeats of what someone has already reported, if they spent all their time replying to each one, they wouldnt get round to fixing the issue raised in the first place

Maybe if they conscientiously reply to each one and post a list of bugs being looked at in the bug forum there wouldn't be so many duplicate threads? All ifs and buts I'm afraid.

Oh and maybe they should hire someone to handle customer service full time instead of relying on testers/coders/part-time mods?

If they have read it anyway, then why not post a quick reply to say so? It would stop people posting the same thing again because they think nobody at SI is aware of the problem.

Ok here goes Goal kick, and my backline relative to the opposition forwards. Note my backline keep their distance in both scenarios

image1yh.png

image3vf.png

sample 2 same principle; backline stays relative to opposition forwards

image4nw.png

image6w.png

My backline is similar, I know it's frustrating for the OP, but I just don’t see this issue coming up against me, or against the AI, any long second season. Apart from dropping the D-line, im at a loss, cant say anymore till the OP puts up a PKM

i just said why previous

No, you haven't. It takes several minutes to read a thread compared to 30 seconds to give a quick reply.

it could also be that the AI is aware your weak at those situations and it is pushing their players forward to catch you out.

Or it could be a bug.

As several people have pointed out this happens to AI controlled teams as well. It is absurdly unrealistic.

No, you haven't. It takes several minutes to read a thread compared to 30 seconds to give a quick reply.

Or it could be a bug.

As several people have pointed out this happens to AI controlled teams as well. It is absurdly unrealistic.

yes i have. they have scan through, notice it is cloned and leave. whether you like my answer is another thing. but i'd rather talk about helping the OP

the point is we dont know either way that its a bug. hence why he should upload his PKM and game save so the bug testers can look at it

Or it could be a bug.

and as several people have pointed out it doesnt happen to everyone playing which suggest tactics are playing a part, whether its a bug or not is up for SI to decide and act on, but by looking at the thread he has started in the bugs forum i cant see them falling over themselves to look at it in depth.

and as several people have pointed out it doesnt happen to everyone playing which suggest tactics are playing a part, whether its a bug or not is up for SI to decide and act on, but by looking at the thread he has started in the bugs forum i cant see them falling over themselves to look at it in depth.

It doesn't matter whether tactics play a part. The fact that it happens at all makes it a bug.

And it is a bug - anyone who has ever seen a real game of football can see that.

It doesn't matter whether tactics play a part. The fact that it happens at all makes it a bug.

And it is a bug - anyone who has ever seen a real game of football can see that.

Yah milnerpoint you need to understand that for bugs such as these, not everyone has to experience it for it be considered a bug.

of course the tactics matter, they are probably the single most important thing in football.

If you are so certain then help out in the bugs thread, upload your PKM's to the server they provide and provide a link to them, the testing guys will have a look and only they will decide if its a bug or not. Posting "its a bug" over and over will not help anyone and will not get anything looked at, actually providing evidence will.

Yah milnerpoint you need to understand that for bugs such as these, not everyone has to experience it for it be considered a bug.

Also people need to understand that it may not be a bug, it may be tactics, people need to keep their mind open to that opinion as well, the SI guys will know better than any of us if this is a bug or not so let them decide, give them the info they need and sit back and wait for their feedback.

Also people need to understand that it may not be a bug, it may be tactics, people need to keep their mind open to that opinion as well, the SI guys will know better than any of us if this is a bug or not so let them decide, give them the info they need and sit back and wait for their feedback.

ffs. Can you honestly not understand that if your tactics cause your players to behave in a completely unrealistic manner it is still a bug?

Surely milnerpoint has to be a troll.

ffs. Can you honestly not understand that if your tactics cause your players to behave in a completely unrealistic manner it is still a bug?

Surely milnerpoint has to be a troll.

the same could be said of you to be honest. WE do not know either way that its a bug, but none of this helps the OP anyway.

So this back and forth gets us nowhere, and will only get the thread closed. OP can you please upload some PKMs, also some screenshots of your tactic, especially the defensive settings for player and team

not if your tactics are set up wrongly for your players. You seem to be ignoring the screen shots above showing the defensive line acting perfectly fine, so there is a chance it could be either a bug or tactics again SI will decide, if its a bug we will hopefully see a fix at the end of the month. There's no need to get aggressive or start calling me a troll because i dont agree with you, if you dont like my posts then you have the option to block me and not read what i have to say.

I posted this on the bugs forum, partly to highlight the previously described problem of goalkeeping hoofs pinging straight back at you (sometimes all the way from the opposition penalty area) right back up the field for a goal threat. “Reverse Route One” I dubbed it. This has been a problem since FM7, possibly earlier.

The main reason for the post was that the reverse route one effect was despite me ALWAYS having the keeper on “defender collect”. This also hasn’t worked properly since I don’t know when. Keepers hoof the ball down the field, despite having defenders wide open under no pressure, despite being under no pressure themselves. FM11 is better than before, the keeper does frequently follow instructions, but not always, and not always for no good reason at all. Off course he’ll hoof it under pressure, with no other option etc.

Combined, these two effects have created bug goals (for both the ai and the human player – but then you don’t know if the AI has “defender collect” ticked) for years. At times, your own keeper effectively becomes one of the AI’s best attackers, gifting the ball time and again, to superhuman clearances followed by inevitable attacks.

I posted this in the bugs forum with uploaded examples to avoid the “it’s your tactics” fanboys and pseudo gurus. I know all about the theories that are supposed to make “defender collect” work (dline and so on), none of them do, and even if they did, if “reverse route one” goals are a problem, then not using the fanboy advice would invalidate every other setup.

Guess what? Firstly, SI mod denied there was a problem and the head went back into the sand. Secondly, a coterie of fanboys and pseudo gurus (including this Milnerpoint berk) chimed in with their “it’s your tactics” guff. Uninvited, unwanted and entirely pointless. They are impossible to avoid.

not if your tactics are set up wrongly for your players. You seem to be ignoring the screen shots above showing the defensive line acting perfectly fine, so there is a chance it could be either a bug or tactics again SI will decide

The fact that there is a workaround doesn't prove that there isn't a bug. Can you really not understand that?

Archived